Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
* * * * - 1 votes

Should I drop my guardian if I want to WvW?


  • Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#61 NinnyNonyNoo

NinnyNonyNoo

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 23 posts
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:42 PM

View Postdirkaderpa, on 09 September 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

And you think your elite is so awesome, try rolling engi and pick up the grenade pack. Its up all the time and doesn't have an insane cooldown.




As some one whos main was a lvl 80 grenade engineer before swapping to a Guardian, Grenade kit isnt all that its cracked up to be (unless of course your under water when it becomes a godlike ability). Tome of Wraths Aoe spam is at least instant... tossing grenades out only to have the enemy move out of the way as your grenades take 2-3 seconds to land is infuriating. And you have to be a mind reader to predict and throw to compensate accordingly... even then 90% of them miss. Solo its even worse, better to run bomb kit and stick to em like glue in my opinion.

One thing ive found that made the difference in 'Fun' with my guardian in WvW was finally crafting most of my Exotic set and getting lvl80 and some cheap 'Rare' lvl 80 weapons, really helped in both group and solo fights... and im a Consecration/Virtues Guardian that uses Cleric gear.  That being said there was a spot around 60 to 70 where I felt really gimped for some reason. Despite that I feel like im contributing to those around me... only wish people would stop panicking and evading out of my damn ranged Sanctuary when I drop it on them.

I think half of my problems in WvW is that very few people actually know what guardians do so it comes down to me having to work around them rather than others working around me and wasting a CD, which is probably why a support Guardian is better in smaller groups.

Edited by NinnyNonyNoo, 01 October 2012 - 10:46 PM.


#62 Webley

Webley

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:02 AM

defending points from thieves behind enemy lines? Blocking the arrows from players which fall on the ram? An organised 5-10 man squad could really put a guard or two to use for taking stuff behind enemy lines. I use one in my squad

A guardian (or two working together) that rezzes the dead dps classes changes the tides of the smaller fights. After the 1st bunch of rezzes you know that the enemy has most of the stuff on cooldown trying to kill folks

"Why isnt my guardian decent at ranged? QQ".... Wait... think about it.... Your a guardian not a ranger

On the offensive your not much of a class, but if you have a stratigic mind (which is 90% of WvW) you can sure make some handy defensive chess moves with the guardian which can change the tide of battle

#63 Mako482

Mako482

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 41 posts
  • Location:Florida

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

View PostWebley, on 02 October 2012 - 05:02 AM, said:

defending points from thieves behind enemy lines? Blocking the arrows from players which fall on the ram? An organised 5-10 man squad could really put a guard or two to use for taking stuff behind enemy lines. I use one in my squad

A guardian (or two working together) that rezzes the dead dps classes changes the tides of the smaller fights. After the 1st bunch of rezzes you know that the enemy has most of the stuff on cooldown trying to kill folks

"Why isnt my guardian decent at ranged? QQ".... Wait... think about it.... Your a guardian not a ranger

On the offensive your not much of a class, but if you have a stratigic mind (which is 90% of WvW) you can sure make some handy defensive chess moves with the guardian which can change the tide of battle

I'll say it again, people qq about limited rangle optiosn because wvw is a ranged standoff 90% of the time. Personally I'm cool with limited rdps options, but I would like to see our standoff utility improved. Wall of reflection is amazing, it and the staff 5 (name?) can really mess up an enemy push. Other than that I spam shouts, staff 3, and anything that heals, but in the end I don't feel I am doing much at all between wall of reflection cooldowns. Sanctuary sucks imo for anything other than protecting ram or preventing enemy rez, even then the CD is still 90 sec with -cd trait and the radius is tiny. You also have to have ground targeting traited to use it in more diverse situations. Probably best used for solo use, not utility. Just my opinion, tried to like it but I fail to see why it deserves to take up a slot.

Bottom line, I would like to see our standoff utility improved to make up for lack of rdps options.

#64 Webley

Webley

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:31 AM

View PostMako482, on 02 October 2012 - 11:49 AM, said:

I'll say it again, people qq about limited rangle optiosn because wvw is a ranged standoff 90% of the time. Personally I'm cool with limited rdps options, but I would like to see our standoff utility improved. Wall of reflection is amazing, it and the staff 5 (name?) can really mess up an enemy push. Other than that I spam shouts, staff 3, and anything that heals, but in the end I don't feel I am doing much at all between wall of reflection cooldowns. Sanctuary sucks imo for anything other than protecting ram or preventing enemy rez, even then the CD is still 90 sec with -cd trait and the radius is tiny. You also have to have ground targeting traited to use it in more diverse situations. Probably best used for solo use, not utility. Just my opinion, tried to like it but I fail to see why it deserves to take up a slot.

Bottom line, I would like to see our standoff utility improved to make up for lack of rdps options.

1. Protecting rams is a massive plus side to a guardian/s in a Zerg (Working together they can chain it)
2. Rezzing dead is contributing alot IMHO
3. Guardians in a 5 man squad designated for doing smaller jobs behind enemy lines in the more intimate fights is under rated. Fix up a 5 man team, start up your team speak server and do some cleaver stuff with the guardian.

Zerg vs Keep or Zerg vs Zerg is a ranged mindless push and pull battle where the guardian could be utilized in another squad doing something else more effectivley

We tend to gank people outside thier spawn points. Hiding until they trickle out one by one as they try and find thier way to the zerg group out on the field.

Hijacking roads is much more fun

the crossroads all around SM see alot of people walk past. You hide when you see the zerg and you attack when you see the people trying to find the zerg. This reduces the size of the zerg as they never made it to support thier allies. A 5 man team calling targets over team speak is good for this. If you want a zerger, roll elementalist or ranger

If theres to many to handle we usually take out the lvl 80s and let the green ones past, as they are likley to die when they reach the keep they are attacking anyway

Edited by Webley, 03 October 2012 - 12:36 AM.


#65 Amins

Amins

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:34 AM

I've found that I actually excell in Keep Defense / Take.

Defense:

GS + Staff

Wall of Reflection, Santuary, SYG.

Pop wall of reflection in front of gate, jump down and reflect/whirlwind, pull them all in, switch staff -> line of warding.

Sanctuary

Switch GS + SYG + Retaliation -> have at it.

Block (healing block) + Virtues -> Dodge into gate.

Rinse Repeat.

0/0/20/20/30 + Monk/Water/Earth runes.


Guardians are great at breaking lines and big pushes.  Bring 2 warriors and a thief and you'll decimate thier front lines, push them back, and let the range follow the wedge.

#66 Thoran23

Thoran23

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

Always the same nonse in the same threads.
Guardian is one of the strongest WvW profession out there maybe the strongest after a mesmer.
Just stop mindless solo random zerging. Rangers and eles are actually pretty bad and have nothing that comes close to the tools guardians have.

View PostMako482, on 30 September 2012 - 04:43 PM, said:

I think the sense Guardian is lacking in WvW is the fact the game is all about range, and we are lacking it. Any melee class is at a disadvantage out there for this reason...blalbalba i never actually played blabla....

I highlighted your first mistake. From there it gets worse and worse.
Melee is fine in WvW

Edited by Thoran23, 03 October 2012 - 01:15 PM.


#67 Thoran23

Thoran23

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:08 PM

View Postlmaonade, on 30 September 2012 - 09:33 PM, said:

No, Guardians are awesome for zerg-busting

no theyre not, please dont play guardians, thiefs are way cooler, embrace the darkshadowkid in you. Rangers are awesome too! you can camp a wall and spam all the day!

Edited by Thoran23, 03 October 2012 - 01:10 PM.


#68 Epedimek

Epedimek

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

View PostPsyblade, on 18 September 2012 - 03:38 PM, said:

here is a fun thing to do.

1. Bring mesmer and friends, setup portal
2. Have mesmer setup portal, go through said portal and pull
3. AE the crap out of said portal when everyone is in.
4. Finish of the remaining forces.

Trust me, most fun you can ever have.

Did it yesterday with my guild (roughly 15ppl) did about 3 mesmer bombs.
results, a good 200 kills, 2 servers unable to enter a supply camp depot.
3 destroyed trebuchets
6 destroyed arrowcarts

lots of hilarity on Teamspeak, and alot of dismay when I called to port out to rescue a keep.

Also, check https://forum-en.gui...rdian-WvW-Video

I am tempted to try out that build as well when I have the needed materials for exotic mace, hammer and shield.

What kind of gear do you use? I enjoyed the video.

#69 Psyblade

Psyblade

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 117 posts
  • Guild Tag:[MA]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

I am using cleric gear.

That vid isn't mine :) just saying

#70 Dear Hunter

Dear Hunter

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 28 posts
  • Location:Tennessee
  • Guild Tag:[USA]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

Guardian's are very viable in WvWvW. I play a Power, Toughness, Vitality build. I roll typically with GS and Hammer. I've got 10 traits in Power, 30 in Vitality, 30 in Toughness. I still dish out very good damage along with surviving against multiple enemies. I'm having a blast currently. I only play WvWvW and have been for a while. My build is very good for leading a charge against enemies since they will usually target the person closest to them I can absorb damage and distract while my teammates crush them. The only time that I'm not as useful is when taking a tower because of lack of ranged to shoot on the walls. In those cases I usually try and keep reinforcements from making it inside the tower or damage the gate due to some enemies usually standing close enough to get hit. I highly recommend Guardian for WvWvW.

Dear Hunter 80 Guardian
USA (United Sanctum Alliance)

#71 Vihsk

Vihsk

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

View Postzepfya, on 07 September 2012 - 10:22 PM, said:

No but that is the whole fun in WVW, same as in daoc.

Er, no it's not the same as in DAoC.

That "zerg" in DAoC, can and will get decimated by a good 8 man group.

I've been in the middle and back of a small group of players in WvW and me and a guildy (also Guardian) were buffing, cleansing, protecting and healing (albeit low) our entire group and we shred through 3x our number.

A little thinking power with the Guardian and you're a dangerous tool. Winning isn't all about big damage numbers.

#72 Amins

Amins

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

People who say Guardians are not offensive haven't figured it out yet.

People who say Guardians lack in WvW because it's a 'ranged game', haven't figured the class out yet.

Guardians break zergs.

A Guardian with a few melee (war/thef), and ranged aoe dps support can whipe a mindless zerg.

#73 jeddahwe

jeddahwe

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

View Postzepfya, on 07 September 2012 - 07:50 PM, said:

I have no idea what people are talking about in terms of guardians being remotely useful in WVW, they have terrible range and the ranged weapons do crappy dmg if they ever hit anything. Not only that but if you run into a group of enemies you will die so quickly, your best attacks are on a timer which are not even that great to begin with when using a sword. I don't see the appeal of the class, feel like I wasted time leveling it to level 43, maybe things change at level 80.

Actually Scepter does the same DPS as GS!

#74 Drekor

Drekor

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1619 posts
  • Location:Canada
  • Guild Tag:[TSP]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:32 PM

View Postjeddahwe, on 28 October 2012 - 03:20 PM, said:

Actually Scepter does the same DPS as GS!
In theory, the scepters auto attack is comparable to GS auto attack.

In practice, scepter will miss the majority of it's attacks and it's other skills are nowhere near as strong as GS thus it's DPS is probably not even half the GS.

#75 Smokee

Smokee

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 121 posts
  • Guild Tag:[HB]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

Guardians are a great support class, and bring some unique tools to the group if you play with a coordinated guild. It´s not the best damage class out there, but it can be very solid and fun class to play in small skirmish fights aswel. Just dont expect to get as many lootbags as an ele would get :)

Here´s a video showing some fights last night in EB. My guardian is build around support and surviving since I am leading.



Spec is 0 0 10 30 30

#76 JaxSilven

JaxSilven

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 191 posts
  • Location:Australia
  • Guild Tag:[nD]
  • Server:Anvil Rock

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

I'm just going to put this out there.

Why not try playing to your strengths rather than weaknesses. What can I do to make this situation into one where I can do a lot more.
For example:
When Fighting Longer Ranged Battles
We could whine about how the scepter needs homing or more damage, or longer range or we use a strength instead:
  • Run around enemy lines and pick off reinforcements.
  • Pick targets your scepter is sure to hit
  • Use more immobilize by bringing Signet of Wrath
  • Tome of Wrath
  • Just stay melee and snipe people trying to burst your allies
  • Play support
  • Pair up with other players to make use of their strengths (portal etc)
  • Consecrations, Line of Warding, SoA
Smaller Scale Battles
You're a god, no class is ahead of you, anybody who thinks otherwise is a fool. High levels of control, damage, survivability, snares, support, etc.
  • Meditation offensive build
  • Hammer control build
  • Support build
I just don't understand a single thing in this thread, the Guardian doesn't have trouble anywhere, why are you in WvW if you're not going to use your teammates to your advantage.... I have no problem in any form of WvW combat, here's my build I run generally. (the amulet counts for you rings etc) when we dont do too well I switch to my hammer and run soldiers stats with my mercy or earth runed armour.
http://www.gw2build.....0.20.15.30.0.5
Pairing up or grouping up with some friends just makes guardians better.

#77 indure

indure

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:35 PM

Overall I feel like my guardian is great in WvW and can really benefit my team, especially as a front line fighter. But there are a couple of times where I HAVE to be at range and when that happens I either am force to spam support skills or at best harass enemies, even though I pose little threat in killing them.

#78 Drekor

Drekor

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1619 posts
  • Location:Canada
  • Guild Tag:[TSP]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:20 AM

View Postindure, on 31 October 2012 - 08:35 PM, said:

Overall I feel like my guardian is great in WvW and can really benefit my team, especially as a front line fighter. But there are a couple of times where I HAVE to be at range and when that happens I either am force to spam support skills or at best harass enemies, even though I pose little threat in killing them.
Use Staff. Orb + SoS is very strong AoE damage at 1200 range.

#79 Vayra86

Vayra86

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

When I play Guardian inside the zerg, I generally just command every movement of the zerg entirely with LoW, WoR and perma swiftness. On my own, I can block or lock an entire force between a wall and a bridge post, deny any incoming projectiles, allow the zerg to retreat safely or push forward...

No other MMO allows a single class to be so influential in a large scale battle as the Guardian.

Need we say more??

#80 chase128

chase128

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

I play a support guardian in WvW focusing on Consecrations.

Wall of Reflection, Sanctuary, Line of Warding,and Tome of Wrath easily turn the tide.

Our ranged options aren't great, but that's because we have strengths elsewhere imo.

#81 indure

indure

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

View PostDrekor, on 01 November 2012 - 12:20 AM, said:

Use Staff. Orb + SoS is very strong AoE damage at 1200 range.
Players on average have 15k life with upwards to 30k. My hardest hitting 2.5k orbs and possible 1k crits on SoS aren't going to cut it when both abilities have fairly long cooldowns. Again, the staff is great for harassing, but it lacks the consistent damage to actually down a competent opponent. Especially when that opponent can just retreat back into their zerg when at low life and come back 15 seconds later completely refreshed.

For the record I use staff/hammer as my main weapons.

#82 jeddahwe

jeddahwe

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:41 AM

View PostJaxSilven, on 30 October 2012 - 03:03 PM, said:

I'm just going to put this out there.

Why not try playing to your strengths rather than weaknesses. What can I do to make this situation into one where I can do a lot more.
For example:
When Fighting Longer Ranged Battles
We could whine about how the scepter needs homing or more damage, or longer range or we use a strength instead:
  • Run around enemy lines and pick off reinforcements.
  • Pick targets your scepter is sure to hit
  • Use more immobilize by bringing Signet of Wrath
  • Tome of Wrath
  • Just stay melee and snipe people trying to burst your allies
  • Play support
  • Pair up with other players to make use of their strengths (portal etc)
  • Consecrations, Line of Warding, SoA
Smaller Scale Battles
You're a god, no class is ahead of you, anybody who thinks otherwise is a fool. High levels of control, damage, survivability, snares, support, etc.
  • Meditation offensive build
  • Hammer control build
  • Support build
I just don't understand a single thing in this thread, the Guardian doesn't have trouble anywhere, why are you in WvW if you're not going to use your teammates to your advantage.... I have no problem in any form of WvW combat, here's my build I run generally. (the amulet counts for you rings etc) when we dont do too well I switch to my hammer and run soldiers stats with my mercy or earth runed armour.
http://www.gw2build.....0.20.15.30.0.5
Pairing up or grouping up with some friends just makes guardians better.

Really good build and I have some questions:

1) Signet of Wrath Vs. Signet of Judgment, thoughts please?
2) Shield Vs. Focus, thoughts please?
3) From an offensive POV: Honor Major Traits > Zeal Major Traits, your thoughts please?

#83 JaxSilven

JaxSilven

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 191 posts
  • Location:Australia
  • Guild Tag:[nD]
  • Server:Anvil Rock

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

View Postjeddahwe, on 02 November 2012 - 05:41 AM, said:

Really good build and I have some questions:

1) Signet of Wrath Vs. Signet of Judgment, thoughts please?
2) Shield Vs. Focus, thoughts please?
3) From an offensive POV: Honor Major Traits > Zeal Major Traits, your thoughts please?

I posted up this build as an example to what I normally use, I change my skills quite a lot depending on the situation. So my replies will explain how each works superior in different situations. If you are one of those people who really, really hate changing skills/weps/armour etc just use the build I posted, it's very flexible.

1. You can consider using judgement if your health/armour is low, then it may be a good choice, otherwise the chain immob off wrath is just too good to pass up. Especially when sniping players trying to reinforce a fight (groups or singular). I often switch it out for stand your ground in team fights or reflection.

2. Both are amazing, the shield comes out ahead in WvW simply due to aoe protection and projectile absorbing. You also want to use SoA to interrupt enemy heals or important spells which the focus doesn't do. The focus stops small bursts (usually by a single enemy player) and is good for stomping with a massive damage hit if the shield damaged in time. But unfortunately doesn't match up here.

3. I assume you're referring to Two Handed Mastery, the absence of 200power and 10-15% extra damage > 20% reduction in recharge on the greatsword. You actually have less windows of opportunity to use your skills effectively in WvW due to the ability to run and most peoples' general tactic of Zerging. So recharge is sometimes not always as important.

If anything I said here wasn't easy to either understand or didn't make sense, etc. just tell me =D hope you have fun.

#84 Milkhead

Milkhead

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 53 posts
  • Guild Tag:[THAI]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

I'm just freaking love it when people say gd scepter is broken.

It's my most favorite weapon in the game. has one of the best synergy with specific traits.

Let's hope everyone continue to think its terrible so that it will get buffed.

Freaking love it.
Siberz [Thai]
Blackgate

#85 jeddahwe

jeddahwe

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

View PostJaxSilven, on 02 November 2012 - 09:06 AM, said:

I posted up this build as an example to what I normally use, I change my skills quite a lot depending on the situation. So my replies will explain how each works superior in different situations. If you are one of those people who really, really hate changing skills/weps/armour etc just use the build I posted, it's very flexible.

1. You can consider using judgement if your health/armour is low, then it may be a good choice, otherwise the chain immob off wrath is just too good to pass up. Especially when sniping players trying to reinforce a fight (groups or singular). I often switch it out for stand your ground in team fights or reflection.

2. Both are amazing, the shield comes out ahead in WvW simply due to aoe protection and projectile absorbing. You also want to use SoA to interrupt enemy heals or important spells which the focus doesn't do. The focus stops small bursts (usually by a single enemy player) and is good for stomping with a massive damage hit if the shield damaged in time. But unfortunately doesn't match up here.

3. I assume you're referring to Two Handed Mastery, the absence of 200power and 10-15% extra damage > 20% reduction in recharge on the greatsword. You actually have less windows of opportunity to use your skills effectively in WvW due to the ability to run and most peoples' general tactic of Zerging. So recharge is sometimes not always as important.

If anything I said here wasn't easy to either understand or didn't make sense, etc. just tell me =D hope you have fun.

Thanks for the answers 1,2 are clear but 3 I have a follow up:

The combination of Empowered Might + Two Handed Mastery in a Shout build /w Altruistic Healing.

http://www.gw2build.....0.10.0.30.30.0

Obviously you can change Runes / Sigil / and the 10 points in Virtues can be moved if desired but does this not produce more DPS with GS?

Edit:  Above is a ultra defensive build with 3k Attack that stacks Might and has high mobility and near perma Swiftness.  You can easily drop lots of survivability for even more bang!

Reason I like 10 in Zeal is the less 50% fall dmg trait for WvW.

Edited by jeddahwe, 02 November 2012 - 09:58 AM.


#86 Shinimas

Shinimas

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 821 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

View PostMilkhead, on 02 November 2012 - 09:31 AM, said:

I'm just freaking love it when people say gd scepter is broken.

It's my most favorite weapon in the game. has one of the best synergy with specific traits.

Let's hope everyone continue to think its terrible so that it will get buffed.

Freaking love it.

WIth what, Binding Jeopardy? Yeah, 3 stacks of Vuln just make so much difference...

#87 JaxSilven

JaxSilven

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 191 posts
  • Location:Australia
  • Guild Tag:[nD]
  • Server:Anvil Rock

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

View Postjeddahwe, on 02 November 2012 - 09:55 AM, said:

Thanks for the answers 1,2 are clear but 3 I have a follow up:

The combination of Empowered Might + Two Handed Mastery in a Shout build /w Altruistic Healing.

http://www.gw2build.....0.10.0.30.30.0

Obviously you can change Runes / Sigil / and the 10 points in Virtues can be moved if desired but does this not produce more DPS with GS?

Edit:  Above is a ultra defensive build with 3k Attack that stacks Might and has high mobility and near perma Swiftness.  You can easily drop lots of survivability for even more bang!

Reason I like 10 in Zeal is the less 50% fall dmg trait for WvW.

Err, not entirely sure you linked me the correct build? 6% crit chance with 50% crit damage?
The one you linked won't get even near the amount of damage I linked and swiftness isn't always the best catchup skill in WvW. But I assume you really want to run AH, and I'll also assume you want to use GS + Sword/Focus. Here's how I would go about it:

General rules of thumb for a high-defence Guaridan in PvP:
  • 17k-20k HP
    Any less and you can get bursted down very fast, irrelevant of your armour.
  • 2.8k-3.2k Armour
    Any less and you'll be very weak to continuous damage and bursts.
  • AH or Monk's Focus
    Signet of Resolve just isn't enough to keep you alive, thankfully Guardians have one of the best healing outside of their self heal.
  • 20-30 Virtues
    Boon duration is vital to a defensive-shout Guardian and the condition removal is very important, if you are running meditations you don't need this.
Not saying this is 100% what you have to have, but it's around the minimum for 90% of builds.
This means around 50 of our traits are already chosen just to be strong in defence. Now we chose our remaining 20 traits.
  • 20 in honour II IX
    Very Defensive, has a decent damage boost but taking out 100-200 power and 10%(+5% if running greatsword damage trait) damage on burning is a big difference and definitely won't be better in larger scale fights.
  • 10 in zeal II, 10 in Honour II
    Balanced, you'll get 10% extra damage and 100power which makes a big difference. Miss out of 20% recharge on GS skills though.
  • 10 in Rad II, 10 in Honour II
    You get 32s Resolve woo! Probably the best defensive option seeing as you're not running a staff and therefore don't need the 20% for the heals on empower.
  • 20 in Zeal II, III (you like your impact =D)
    Best for damage, but no shout recharge so probably not the best option for AH.
And if you're one of the people who are like "just gimme a goddamn build"
Here's what I recommend for your current playstyle, you can swap out Judge's for either Stand your ground or Retreat. (I assume you already paid for runes, otherwise get earth not Soldier):

http://www.gw2build....0.10.0.30.10.20

And what I'd recommend if you still want to play that style and get new armour:
http://www.gw2build....0.10.0.30.10.20

Thanks for your time!
I had about 8 builds open at once there so if the builds seem wrong just tell me derp XD

#88 jeddahwe

jeddahwe

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

View PostJaxSilven, on 02 November 2012 - 02:28 PM, said:

Err, not entirely sure you linked me the correct build? 6% crit chance with 50% crit damage?
The one you linked won't get even near the amount of damage I linked and swiftness isn't always the best catchup skill in WvW. But I assume you really want to run AH, and I'll also assume you want to use GS + Sword/Focus. Here's how I would go about it:

General rules of thumb for a high-defence Guaridan in PvP:
  • 17k-20k HP
    Any less and you can get bursted down very fast, irrelevant of your armour.
  • 2.8k-3.2k Armour
    Any less and you'll be very weak to continuous damage and bursts.
  • AH or Monk's Focus
    Signet of Resolve just isn't enough to keep you alive, thankfully Guardians have one of the best healing outside of their self heal.
  • 20-30 Virtues
    Boon duration is vital to a defensive-shout Guardian and the condition removal is very important, if you are running meditations you don't need this.
Not saying this is 100% what you have to have, but it's around the minimum for 90% of builds.
This means around 50 of our traits are already chosen just to be strong in defence. Now we chose our remaining 20 traits.
  • 20 in honour II IX
    Very Defensive, has a decent damage boost but taking out 100-200 power and 10%(+5% if running greatsword damage trait) damage on burning is a big difference and definitely won't be better in larger scale fights.
  • 10 in zeal II, 10 in Honour II
    Balanced, you'll get 10% extra damage and 100power which makes a big difference. Miss out of 20% recharge on GS skills though.
  • 10 in Rad II, 10 in Honour II
    You get 32s Resolve woo! Probably the best defensive option seeing as you're not running a staff and therefore don't need the 20% for the heals on empower.
  • 20 in Zeal II, III (you like your impact =D)
    Best for damage, but no shout recharge so probably not the best option for AH.
And if you're one of the people who are like "just gimme a goddamn build"
Here's what I recommend for your current playstyle, you can swap out Judge's for either Stand your ground or Retreat. (I assume you already paid for runes, otherwise get earth not Soldier):

http://www.gw2build....0.10.0.30.10.20

And what I'd recommend if you still want to play that style and get new armour:
http://www.gw2build....0.10.0.30.10.20

Thanks for your time!
I had about 8 builds open at once there so if the builds seem wrong just tell me derp XD


DOH!  I had the wrong Accessorizes, 6% crit is bad :/

What do you think of this:



#89 Milkhead

Milkhead

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 53 posts
  • Guild Tag:[THAI]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

View PostShinimas, on 02 November 2012 - 11:40 AM, said:



WIth what, Binding Jeopardy? Yeah, 3 stacks of Vuln just make so much difference...

LoL
Siberz [Thai]
Blackgate

#90 Drekor

Drekor

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1619 posts
  • Location:Canada
  • Guild Tag:[TSP]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

View Postindure, on 01 November 2012 - 05:42 PM, said:

Players on average have 15k life with upwards to 30k. My hardest hitting 2.5k orbs and possible 1k crits on SoS aren't going to cut it when both abilities have fairly long cooldowns. Again, the staff is great for harassing, but it lacks the consistent damage to actually down a competent opponent. Especially when that opponent can just retreat back into their zerg when at low life and come back 15 seconds later completely refreshed.

For the record I use staff/hammer as my main weapons.
You clearly aren't wearing high damage gear so you really care about doing lots of damage then?




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users