• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ghosty

Ghosty

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:16 AM

I've got my Thief to level 21 and I have a level 42 Elementalist also. Compared to my Ele my thief feels really weak:

He can't take much of a beating and doesn't do too much damage either. I'm putting it down to my Traits & skills (and stats priority?).

I've gone with 10 pts in Deadly Arts & Potent Poison (V) and I go with a Shortbow or Dagger/Dagger setup.

Skills I go for: Hide in Shadows / Signet of Agility / Assassin's Signet / Signet of Shadows

I find the passives on the signets to be nice, I've found they work really well on my Elementalist so far.

I prioritise power on gear first, then precision. I just guessed this would be the best way to go about it, but still having 2nd thoughts. In general I can't seem to kill things quick enough and I take a lot of damage from mobs too.

So what methods have other thieves found best whilst levelling?

#2 Boltonsquad

Boltonsquad

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Psyc]
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:39 AM

Always talk to the renowned hearts after completing them and keep your gear up to date with your level, this will help you significantly.

#3 Edge

Edge

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Guild Tag:[CORP]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:02 AM

Thief was the first character I got to 80, took 9 days. I didn't have problems because I figured out the best way to level from the BWE's. My method was jumping from one area to another. For example when I finished one 1-15 map, I was only level 14, and there was no way I could go into the next map which was 15-25. So I went to the 1-15 starting zone for another race and finished that before going back to 15-25. I repeated this same process until the very end.

As far as thief damage output goes, yes, without some traits you will see a very noticeable difference. I had my gear up to date every 5 levels but some warriors would laugh at me in PvE when they saw how much damage I was doing and how much they were doing. A warrior could take on multiple monsters at once with ease, and I was struggling to finish off a single monster. So I reworked my build specifically for PvE and decided to spec towards condition damage. Condition damage is essentially where the thief shines in PvE (Thief runes even point towards this). If you are playing D/D then Death Blossom is going to be the ticket forward. After I reworked my build I found I could easily take on hordes of foes with Death Blossom. The bleeding damage essentially destroys a target, you can even solo veterans this way easily.

For PvP I focus instead on critical damage and precision, and it doesn't always apply well to PvE.

Edited by Edge, 06 September 2012 - 08:04 AM.

#4 Noccturnal

Noccturnal

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Daci]
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

View PostEdge, on 06 September 2012 - 08:02 AM, said:

Thief was the first character I got to 80, took 9 days. I didn't have problems because I figured out the best way to level from the BWE's. My method was jumping from one area to another. For example when I finished one 1-15 map, I was only level 14, and there was no way I could go into the next map which was 15-25. So I went to the 1-15 starting zone for another race and finished that before going back to 15-25. I repeated this same process until the very end.

As far as thief damage output goes, yes, without some traits you will see a very noticeable difference. I had my gear up to date every 5 levels but some warriors would laugh at me in PvE when they saw how much damage I was doing and how much they were doing. A warrior could take on multiple monsters at once with ease, and I was struggling to finish off a single monster. So I reworked my build specifically for PvE and decided to spec towards condition damage. Condition damage is essentially where the thief shines in PvE (Thief runes even point towards this). If you are playing D/D then Death Blossom is going to be the ticket forward. After I reworked my build I found I could easily take on hordes of foes with Death Blossom. The bleeding damage essentially destroys a target, you can even solo veterans this way easily.

For PvP I focus instead on critical damage and precision, and it doesn't always apply well to PvE.

This statistic is used for every class.

#5 Ghosty

Ghosty

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:46 AM

I found the condition damage & Lotus method very useful :) I can now keep up (somewhat) with my Warrior brother ^^ Thanks

#6 Cruloss

Cruloss

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:04 AM

I also had the same difficulty around lvl30s d/d and p/p with lots of condition works really well on 1 on 1 but when a second or third mob involved I found my self in trouble as you will run out of initiative after second lotus and they gonna start hitting you hard before they go down. I really sucked if no one else was around doing the quests to tank for me a bit :P

I went with sword/pistol combination with blinding skills at disposable proven very efficient for me as blackpowder every now and then along with pistol whip, signet of shadows,blinding powder, even groups of 4 melee cant really touch you. (trickery the trait you might wanna go down here for initiative regen) On top of it, sword can damage multiple foes at once so for levelling I would say S/P is a very viable build for survivability.

But I have to admit dual daggers are much more fun way to play :)

#7 ant1fact

ant1fact

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Guild Tag:[CTRL]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:10 AM

I felt the same and then I put all my trait points into Acrobatics and Shadow Arts. Used that until like lvl 40 where my character was strong enough to swap Shadow Arts for Deadly Arts, using sword/pistol and a shortbow. With a d/d build it's better to go for the Trickery trait line, condition damage can be nasty.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: thief, levelling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users