Well, I'm about to blow your mind.
Ready for a claim?
I will state here and now that I believe that Necromancers can be the fastest leveling class in the game.
"Well, Proseidon, I already think you're a noob, but I'll keep reading just to make fun of your build and ideas."
By all means.
Here is my ultimate super master build. I have brought it down from the heavens to lavish upon the other mortals who enjoy this game, and I hope it brings you as many PvE wreckings as it has brought me. Please note that I am going to leave some pieces of the build as UP TO YOU. "But Proseidon!", you say, "I can't think for myself! Can't you just tell me everything?" No. I don't think you'll have fun with the build unless you do something to make it your own. So experiment, add your own flavor to it!
Okay, okay, calm down, I'll give you the build, the meat. Here's what I do to level.
- For attributes I try to focus power. Any time I can choose, I will choose +power gear. The second most important is HEALING. Vitality and toughness are useful, too: forget everything else.
- For weapons I choose the staff and then whatever else you fancy for the offset (ideally something good for single-target dps)
- For utility I get the well of corruption, well of suffering. The third is what you prefer. I suggest well of darkness for survivability. Heal is Well of Blood.
- Traits depend on your level. The ones I find most essential for this build are:
- Death's Embrace (+50% down damage)
- Spiteful Vigor (Gain retaliation when you heal)
- Chilling Darkness (confuses foes that you blind) (if you use Well of Darkness)
- Ritual of Protection OR Greater Marks (Do you need more offense, or defense?)
- Deathly Invigoration (Heal when you leave death shroud)
Let me take a moment to explain something about the traits. As you learned from the attribute explanation above, you get no benefit from curses tree! Let me say it again to emphasize. The only reason you should go into the curses tree is to get Chilling Darkness because it's really good with Well of Darkness. Otherwise, skip it!
As you level up, it's up to YOU to decide what traits you want to get first. What do you find yourself using most? What do you think would help your gameplay more? Etc. I have given you the important pieces but you are the one who must decided what order you want to put them together in.
How to use the build (the important part):
I don't really have any witty comments so I'll just explain. Equip your staff. Using your autoattack, gather up LOTS of nearby mobs. You have to decide how many you're comfortable with, but I will say that I believe any less than 3 is a WASTE and you will be leveling slower. If you are not fighting at least three mobs at a time then this build will not work for you!
So gather up however many YOU, PERSONALLY, can handle. I like to get around 6. Try to avoid getting hit or stunned until you have them all close to you. As soon as the mobs get close to you, you're going to do several things very fast.
- Well of suffering
- Well of corruption --- If you are below 30% hp at this point, STOP AND SKIP TO 5!
- Well of darkness (if you took it) --- If you are below 30% hp at this point, STOP AND SKIP TO 5!
- As many marks as you can. Ideally, #2-5. Remember #5 can take some pressure off.
- Enter death shroud. You should be at low life by this point. Use Life Transfer, and then the AoE Chill. Enemies will probably start being low at this point, depending on how much of the combo you got off earlier.
- Exit death shroud. You just healed, and gained retaliation.
- Lay down a Well of Blood.
- Lay down more marks.
- Switch to your other weapons, use any AoE you have left, and clean up stragglers.
- If at any time you go down, cast #1 on your weakest nearby mob. You should be able to rally and continue.
- That's it! You just killed a large group in a very short amount of time.
You are very tough to kill. This is mostly in part to necromancer class design. That's what makes you able to tank 3-8 mobs at a time. Your AoE damage isn't spectacular, but when you combo everything you will be doing some serious AoE. Numbers be high like you ain't ever SEEN! You have ABYSMAL single target dps. DON'T USE THE BUILD FOR SINGLE TARGET DPS!
This is NOT a PvP build! This build does not work effectively in PvP! Don't use it in PvP! This is NOT a PvP build! If you say 'proseidon diz build sux i do wvw get kill ever time.' I will be very very sad that the school system failed you so badly.
Last, but not least, a few helpful hints.
If you're having an EASY TIME:
- Drop Well of Darkness, drop the points in Chilling Darkness. Replace this with something for more DPS like poison cloud, or a way to get ranged like Spectral Grasp.
- Greater Marks! Do more damage.
- Get Well of Darkness! Five seconds of (basically) damage immunity! Chilling darkness adds to the fun!
- Ritual of Protection! Get protection when you lay down the (law) wells. -33% damage should be enough to help you live.
- You are a support/dps master. You will gold everything because you tag everything.
- Well of blood heals the #!%% out of everyone.
- Life transfer heals the #!%^ out of everyone.
- Possibly consider getting a Well of Power instead of one of your other wells.
- Remember your staff #2 grants regen.
That's it. Take it from someone that thought they would never roll a stupid boring Necro: Necromancers are the bomb. Have fun soloing Zhaitan*!
* (Note: Author is not responsible for any failures incurred in attempting to solo Zhaitan)
Edited by Proseidon1, 06 September 2012 - 10:57 PM.