#1 WWJasonD

WWJasonD

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:05 PM

I am currently trying to create a spirit ranger build, both for pvp and pve. I know which spirits I want to use but am having trouble picking weapons, pets, and trait lines.

I think I should stick with a sword/horn for the boons and better chance to apply conditions. I am undecided on whether to use a greatsword or longbow for my secondary weapon set. The greatsword deals alot of damage combined with the warhorn boons but it leaves me no ranged option. The longbow has a rapid shot skill and barrage which might prove better for sustained dps and condition spreading.

I know that I must invest in nature magic for the moving spirits trait but am having trouble choosing what else to go for. Perhaps beast mastery so my pets can keep the heat off me?

Lastly, what pets work well? I have been very fond of my ice drake for his toughness and ice breath ability. I figure a high dps pet may also be good, something like a stalker since in can grant me might.

#2 MrKayako

MrKayako

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:44 PM

Well I'm gonna say one thing, spirit ranger build is very weak at best I do not recommand it.

But if you really want to try I recommand the shortbow, fastest attack speed so better chance to proc your spirits spell imo.

The moving spirit trait is not that good for several reason, first you can't "place" your spirits as traps to use your second skill, because they follow that means that you have to use their spell when the mob is in range to hit you. But if you play hand to hand combat with the sword why not. But then you have the second problem that if you go hand to hand with your spirit they will never stay alive for the 60 seconds, I mean in dungeon for example I ran a spirit build if not hidden behind something or that my spirits were following me they would die in about 5 seconds after casting them with the twice much life trait, so...

FOr keeping the heat off yourself I don't know because aggro is weird in this game.
The stalker is nice, the jaguar too, bears are great tank, and the red moa as the fury boon.

Anyway you'll test but I'm warning you spirits build are very unbalanced atm, the following spirits is more of a malus than a bonus in most high level PvE situation and most Pvp.

#3 WWJasonD

WWJasonD

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:57 PM

I see what you mean. I tried it earlier in sPvP. The time it took to get all spirits out would have been better off used laying down traps or using a cripple. I think I'll just use spirits as a type of PVE support against mobs, bosses, and champions. Thanks for replying.

#4 ZNICK

ZNICK

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:47 PM

I disagree... well to a point. I'd never use the spirits in PvE, because there's so many other things that you can use, and PvE is so easy and predictable you are better off using traps, etc..

However, in sPvP spirits rock (I took first place in 2 tourneys yesterday with them) if you have the right playstyle. If you're running solo a lot then no, but if you stay with 2-3 people, they're insane. 20% of the time you're blocking 66% of ALL of the damage to your group, adding 10% damage to ALL of you, and slowing the enemies skill regen. And with the Elite skill you're healing everyone...

Make sure they can follow you and pickup the spirit bonuses and play them a while, you'll find your whole team is better.

Z

Edited by ZNICK, 08 September 2012 - 03:47 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spirit, ranger, build

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users