• Curse Sites
Help
* * * * * 1 votes

Durmand Hall - A library in Divinity's Reach.

durmand hall library divinitys reach library gw2

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Vonethil

Vonethil

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:46 PM

Greetings everyone, when I was exploring Point of Interests in Divinity's Reach, I stumble upon a small library located between Eastern Commons, Rurikton and in front of Kormir Low Road. I strongly suggest you to go and check this library out.

Posted Image

The library which is called Durmand Hall contains four readable books and three Non-player characters,  you can have a conversation with two of them. This is how it looks inside the library:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The Centaur War is the first book you see when you enter the library. The book contains four pages of information between the Centaur War between Centaurs and Humans.

Written more than 100 years ago, this well-preserved book bears the mark of Vonda Lassien, one the the foremost scholars of the clash between humans and centaurs.

The first documented human-centaur battles occurred in 300 A.E. when human settlements began spreading from the fertile Krytan valley into the Shiverpeaks.

Over time, the human settlements grew and spread. Simultaneously, centaur tribes began to organize their efforts to hold and retake thieir lands.

Early in his reign, Krytan King Thorn proposed a treaty to the centauran tribes, but the centaurs rejected its terms as unfavorable.

Posted Image

The Elder Dragons is a book with information regarding The Elder Dragons which we all know, have risen.

This book has been well-thumbed in the introduction, it says, "They are ancient and unfathomable. They embody concepts of nature - fire, ice, crystal and even death - but their very presence threatens to destroy the world."

We know not when these Elder Dragons came to be, only when we became aware of their awakening.

Fire: Primordus (1120 AE)

Primordus was the first to awaken in our time. Its previous awakening is the only one still known to history. Dwarven texts tell of "Great Destroyers," now believed to be a reference to Promordus and his army.

Primordus rules over fire. As of this writing, his minions, known as destroyers, plague the wetlands in the southwest of Tyria.

Ice: Jormag (1165 AE)

Jormag and his army arose in the Far Shiverpeaks. Even in sleep, their influence could be felt, as seen in the norn legend of Jora and Svanir.

Jormag has the power of ice that creeps and consumes the world around it. Those corrupted by him become icebrood, casting aside their own will to serve their master.

Death: Zhaitan (1219 AD)

Zhaitan's awakening caused the once-lost island nation of Orr to rise from the sea, flooding many coastal lands in the process.

More accurately a master of undeath, Zhaitan has the ability to convert corpeses into minions with his very breath.

Crystal: Kralkatorrik (1320 AD)

Kralkatorrik awakened in the charr land and flew south to the Crystal Desert. In his wake, a scar of crystal appeared, creating the Dragonbrand.

Those altered by Kralkatorrik are named "Branded" after this landmark. Survivors of the Branding say the conversion occured instantly, those affected turning to powerful and violent.

Posted Image

Winds of Change does not contain any content from the actual book, but a note.

This book is already opened to the last page. There it says, "Contact with Cantha was finally lost when the floods from Orr's rising disrupted trade". Somone has added a hadnwritten note in the margin.

Someone scribbled, "They've closed their shores to us and left us to fight the dragons alone. To the Mists with them."

Posted Image

Bloodline of Kryta is about the royal of Kryta.

This book bears the royal seal of Kryta. The first page begins: "The royal lineage of Kryta, as with all royality, descends from King Doric. This legendary figure was the first to unite the human kingdoms in Tyria."

Once, the lineage of Kryta was thought lost until the commoner Salma was found to be the daughter of King Jadon. Salma drove the White Mantle from Kryta and became a hero to her people.

Queen Jennah, a direct descendant of Salma, is the current queen of Kryta. She rules her people from Divinity's Reach.

Posted Image

Edited by Vonethil, 08 September 2012 - 02:56 PM.

#2 draxynnic

draxynnic

Lorebug

• Moderators
  • 7615 posts
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:56 AM

I checked it out during the betas, but didn't think to make a thread for it...

The main new information here is about the centaurs. If the book is accurate, the centaurs didn't hold what is now Kryta itself - it was when the Krytans started expanding into the Shiverpeaks (which they don't seem to be in any more) that centaurs and humans came in conflict. It's possible that those initial losses by the centaurs have grown into the idea that all human land was stolen from the centaurs when it actually wasn't.

Or that the historian writing the book was wrong - land as desirable as Kryta's was unlikely to have been unoccupied before human arrival. Mind you, it could be that it was the Caromi Tengu that held it back then, and they're now willing to let bygones be bygones from behind the wall of the Dominion of Winds.

Either way, I would have to say I don't blame the centaurs for rejecting Thorn's proposals - knowing Thorn, the terms were probably quite unfavourable indeed.
Got any comments or queries about moderation in one of my spheres of responsibility? Make sure I get the message!

#3 Kromgar

Kromgar

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:14 AM

View Postdraxynnic, on 09 September 2012 - 12:56 AM, said:

I checked it out during the betas, but didn't think to make a thread for it...

The main new information here is about the centaurs. If the book is accurate, the centaurs didn't hold what is now Kryta itself - it was when the Krytans started expanding into the Shiverpeaks (which they don't seem to be in any more) that centaurs and humans came in conflict. It's possible that those initial losses by the centaurs have grown into the idea that all human land was stolen from the centaurs when it actually wasn't.

Or that the historian writing the book was wrong - land as desirable as Kryta's was unlikely to have been unoccupied before human arrival. Mind you, it could be that it was the Caromi Tengu that held it back then, and they're now willing to let bygones be bygones from behind the wall of the Dominion of Winds.

Either way, I would have to say I don't blame the centaurs for rejecting Thorn's proposals - knowing Thorn, the terms were probably quite unfavourable indeed.

There is something we need to make note of in Guild Wars. The historians may have very  well been wrong or lied. I mean we already have the inconsistencies with Grenth noted in another post. Funny how the Durmand Priory repeats "History never lies historians on the other hand"

#4 Konig Des Todes

Konig Des Todes

Manager of the Void

• Site Contributors
  • 9534 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Lore]

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:34 AM

Interesting, they expanded the text for that centaur book since the BWEs. First BWE only had one line for the book: The centaur tribes see Tyria as being theirs, banding together to drive out all humans. This war has gone on for hundreds of years and shows no signs of slagging.

@Drax: If you're a sylvari that goes Durmand Priory, you get to go into an ancient king's tomb (north central Gendarran - you can go there in an explorable to meet a champion spider queen), in which you'll meet ghosts that talk about the king having protected Kryta from centaurs. IIRC, the ghosts around the main uniquely named one were called Ascalonian <title>.

Furthermore, there's a scroll in Orr saying that King Doric spread his people into Ascalon and Kryta and Lion's Arch has been known to have been his summer estate since Prophecies (despite Kryta not being colonized until 300 AE, and b\y Elonians too... makes it interesting).

To me, it sounds like humans did settle there, sharing the land with Caromi tengu perhaps, but it wasn't until 300 AE they did a real colonization - and such being done by the Primeval Dynasty.

Durmand Priory|Library of Whispers|GuildMag
"...I received a 400-page bible document for the world..." - J.Robert King
I want. I want bad.

#5 draxynnic

draxynnic

Lorebug

• Moderators
  • 7615 posts
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:30 AM

That is interesting. I considered the possibility of the Primeval Kings conquering Kryta, but that would involve going past Orr and it would be hard for the Primeval Kings to take Kryta by force without reducing Orr in the process. Unless it turned out that Arah was too hard a nut to crack but they were able to conquer the land away from Orr itself - kind of like how Constantinople held out for some decades after the Byzantine Empire had effectively fallen, except in this case Arah never fell. Under that hypothesis, one could make the conjecture that Kryta's independance came when Orr beat the Primeval Kings back, and thus they could no longer extend their authority over Kryta - but at that stage it wasn't worth it for the Orrians to (re)conquer Kryta.

Alternatively, it could have been done as part of some diplomatic deal, with the Orrians viewing Kryta as less important than whatever it was they received in return.
Got any comments or queries about moderation in one of my spheres of responsibility? Make sure I get the message!

#6 Konig Des Todes

Konig Des Todes

Manager of the Void

• Site Contributors
  • 9534 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:06 AM

Well there is a document written by an Ascalonian stating that Orrians had a natural ability for magic - where they didn't need to train to use it unlike others elsewhere. So that is a possibility, but in order to get to Kryta one must go around Orr and through the Strait of Malchor. I think it might be more plausible that the Primeval Kings bought Kryta, or that Kryta was Orr's gift to them - considering that Magdaer and Sohothin was given as a gift of peace or some such to Ascalon, and Orrians tended to stay away from conflicts when possible, I think that's likely (then again, I also view that to be the reason why the Staff of the Mists ended up in the Desolation - given to the Primeval Kings as a peace offering while keeping the Scepter of Orr as a symbol of their alliance).

I want. I want bad.

#7 sajuuk_khar

sajuuk_khar

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:18 AM

Weren't there Elonian text pillars, and graven monoliths, inside the Bloodstone Fen dungeon in EoTN?

Back when I first saw those I suspected that Elonians had advanced up to around that area, and possibly further up into Kryta, in ages past.

Though I also suspected they were likely just reused models.

Edited by sajuuk_khar, 09 September 2012 - 11:26 AM.

#8 Konig Des Todes

Konig Des Todes

Manager of the Void

• Site Contributors
  • 9534 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:59 PM

Plinths from the Realm of Torment are indeed there. When asked, Linsey simply said: "The Undead of Orr and Abaddon are linked because of the Lich being in cahoots with the big naughty. Nothing particularly significant beyond that."

http://wiki.guildwar...loodstone_Caves

I want. I want bad.

#9 sajuuk_khar

sajuuk_khar

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:22 PM

Ahh, well then, that answers that..... to some degree.

#10 HouseRiverbow

HouseRiverbow

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:29 PM

Found it interesting that Cantha just closed themselves off, so it might mean they dont have any EDs there at the time of that scribble and maybe not at all, (according to that scribble)

#11 sajuuk_khar

sajuuk_khar

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:46 AM

It could also mean that Cantha, in thier isolationism, isn't sending anyone to help Tyira becuase they are too busy fighting thier own ED.

#12 Konig Des Todes

Konig Des Todes

Manager of the Void

• Site Contributors
  • 9534 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:55 AM

Cantha became isolationist and cut off ties to Tyria before any proactive ED came about. Primordus even rose after Usoku closed off borders by about 7 years iirc. And even then, he wasn't that well known at first thanks to the dwarves - and by the time ED were well known, Zhaitan was around (or close to rising).

I want. I want bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users