• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 spinedoc

spinedoc

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:28 PM

I've leveled up a guard, warrior and ranger to the 50s and had a lot of fun with them and of course plan on revisiting them.  But I get bored easily and really liked the flavor of engineers since the beta events so I figured I'd give them a try.

I'm only level 14, initially I was dual pistols or rifle, both seemed kind of weak but rifle was nice for control options and to back up out of melee quickly.  I've been reading these forums and most are saying to go bomb/grenade, but I just HATE playing as a kiter, at least an aoe kiter, I do enjoy range kiting with a regular weapon like my ranger.  So after feeling meh with the rifle/pistol I finally slotted in the flame thrower, I love it, love the aoe, the feel and effects and the extras like blindness so I can just jump into a group of mobs.  I do have the grenade kit set up and usually if it's a DE and I don't have aggro I'll swap to it for damage, but if I've got aggro I'd rather just kite with the flamethrower and use the blind and knockback to get away.

What trait lines and what skills and skill points are you flamethrower guys getting?  I understand, from reading on here, that flamethrower isn't near the dps as bomb/grenade, but I just hate that play style and am placing hope that Anet made all play styles viable with enough skills/stats.  Also any suggestions on casting order or what I should consider swapping in and out.  I'm also not a turret guy, just seems too stationary and with the recast they are not up for every fight, maybe I'll put out an occasional flame turret for a boss.

In the end I fear I'm trying to play my engie like my warrior, but I just kind of got used to that play style.  Is there any hope?

#2 spinedoc

spinedoc

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:58 PM

I'm also not opposed to going full rifle, or full dual pistol, pistol/shield as that would give me a ranged feel as well without the AOE kiting.  Are these better options than the flamethrower?  They seem super weak so far, but I'm very low level with no traits so I hesitate to pass judgement.  It's just that by this time my guard, warrior and ranger were all easily killing groups of mobs many levels above them, but on this guy I'm actively seeking out areas below my level so I can level up without dying so much.

#3 Angelus359

Angelus359

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:20 PM

I recommend maxing firearms like for the precision, and taking 10 explosives for burn on critical

You'd have random bleeds and random Burns on critical

Having backpack regenerator would be interesting, though I haven't tested if it works on flamethrowers

#4 Ygnizem

Ygnizem

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:02 PM

Yes Backpack Regenerator works with Flamethrower, it's a nice trait.

Interesting Flamethrower trait:

Firearms branch: Alchemy branch:

From GW2 Wiki

#5 matsif

matsif

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1516 posts
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:13 PM

I'm running a build with it that I feel is fine.  focus on precision and got the backpack regen (does work w/ flamethrower).  Can apply bleed, burn, vulnerability on crit, which I stack crit chance to spam conditions and permaburn enemies in a pretty good cone.

mainly run elixers in utilities, might swap for a turret depending on what I'm doing.

currently have a rifle but thinking about running pistol/shield in the future.  gotta find a good pistol first.

#6 Ygnizem

Ygnizem

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:11 PM

I find the Thumper turret really good with flamethrower:
i drop my turret and overcharge it, foes hit the turret, i take my flamethrower and start to burn everthing down haha.
I use it as a "tank" turret.

I like using the Mine gadget too, use your toolbelt skill then use your Napalm skill and detonate your mines -> up to 15x Might

#7 Byles

Byles

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:20 PM

has backpack regenerator been fixed then?

Edited by Byles, 09 September 2012 - 11:20 PM.

#8 Angelus359

Angelus359

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:55 PM

Mixing backpack regenerator + rune of dolyak would be interesting

#9 spinedoc

spinedoc

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:55 PM

Gah I'm so confused.  I'm up to level 18 now and have been trying some different things.  Pure solo I've actually been using the bomb kit, running in a circle and dropping 1 and 2 and I've been able to kill mobs a couple of levels above me, granted you have to have the right place to run in circles but even adds are usually ok if I can get them to chase.

My weakness seems to be ranged mobs, they don't chase and can't be kited.  I've tried using the smoke bomb but 5s doesn't seem to be enough, but I'm still low level so probably really low dps.  The worst is when I get a melee AND a range, I usually die at that point.  I think I can deal with the bomb kit because there is no aiming, the grenade kit just annoys me, too much aiming and yeah I tried the fast casting option.   But the bomb kit is horrible for tight spaces, buildings, areas where you can't kite, still not seeing much options for those times so I'm falling back on the flamethrower and trying to CC some.

So I'm definitely confused to stay on flamethrower, or if I should stay bomb kit, or if I should just use a regular weapon as I've seen some on here advocate that as well.  For bomb kit it seems like Power and Toughness are best?  Flamethrower precision and condition?

edit:  I must say something is just not working, I just can't get the class to click.  My other alts can kill pretty much anything with little danger, now I'm not expecting that with a support class but I just feel so far behind it's comical.  Flame thrower seems like it's doing less damage than my rifle.  Bombs kind of suck if you don't have room to kite, or if you get a ranged in the group, they really only seem good for farming in particular spots.  Grenades same as bombs unless you are not the mobs target, worse because of the targeting, then they are great such as in DEs and such.  Pistols seem like I lose any type of CC, pistol/shield isn't bad and rifle itself isn't bad but neither is great by any stretch of the imagination.

For now I'm just trying to get a good PVE build to level up and enjoy the content.

Edited by spinedoc, 10 September 2012 - 01:36 AM.

#10 JonnyBigBoss

JonnyBigBoss

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:15 AM

I'm full flamethrower with firearms 30 alchemy 30 at level 70 and I'm kicking butt. I like it because I know once I'm 80 I'll be spamming grenades and bleeding from the fingertips again.

#11 frzn

frzn

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:26 AM

View Postspinedoc, on 09 September 2012 - 11:55 PM, said:

My weakness seems to be ranged mobs, they don't chase and can't be kited.  I've tried using the smoke bomb but 5s doesn't seem to be enough, but I'm still low level so probably really low dps.  The worst is when I get a melee AND a range, I usually die at that point.  I think I can deal with the bomb kit because there is no aiming, the grenade kit just annoys me, too much aiming and yeah I tried the fast casting option.   But the bomb kit is horrible for tight spaces, buildings, areas where you can't kite, still not seeing much options for those times so I'm falling back on the flamethrower and trying to CC some.
Try elixir U, the toolbelt skill create a random field that blocks or reflects projectiles.

#12 airphforce

airphforce

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:35 AM

25 Alchemy also gives you 1% damage per boon, with juggernaut, that's a lot of might. Run Elixir B and the 20% elixir CD reduction from alchemy, and you're looking at a lot of boons to feed that 25 point trait.

#13 ndessell

ndessell

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:55 AM

http://gw2skills.net...ooyxkjIHbOuck5A

just tie a rope to your token gaurdian, toss him in to a  nice big pack of mobs. reel in your catch and cook it on the line

precision> power> vitality> toughness> condition damage.

knitgh gear  gives  power pre and toughness, and is the closes to  the right stats as your getting for a bit.

vitality over toughness because you will have tons more toughness, so vit just scales ab it better untill the magic 1 armor to 10 hp  ratio, then its even.

condition is  last because the 300 you get  scales  your  secondary condition damage  for that last  little bit of  deep fat frying.

Edited by ndessell, 10 September 2012 - 11:03 AM.

#14 Xaragoth

Xaragoth

Vanguard Scout

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 396 posts
  • Guild Tag:[HuHu]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:00 AM

Using this build. Sometimes I switch Elixir U around for the Hidden Pistol, but that's Charr only.

http://gw2skills.net...tu3V0jH3YI/pAbB

#15 Beasters

Beasters

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

For OP:

Flamethrower is very viable PvE. As others posted, you wanna run traits in Alch/firearms. Your third tree (which will end up with 10 pts) is preference. Explosives is good for burn on crit trait, Tools good for swiftness on kit-equip trait. Either way, you'll wanna spend 30 in Firearms for Juggernaut and 20-30 in Alch (I love cond removal trait, but regen works well too, I guess.)

Notable Talents were metioned above (Dmg increase, CD reduction, etc.)

Leveling up from 1-40 is toughest, since you won't have increased damage. With FT I'd recommend rifle, since both vastly benefit from power/precision, and cond dmg only works so well with FT (if you go this route, go pistols). You gotta learn to manage all CDs and switch between kits a lot, as they synergize very well. Napalm wall allows your rifle skill 1 to burn targets 20% of the time, so drop it on enemy if ranged or on you if melee. Using Rifle #5 on flame wall gives you fire aura, another useful damage adder.

You also wanna utilize Rifles knockback and root to line up your Flame Blast (FT #2 skill) as you get a lot of dmg out of the explosion from it. My favorite combo using all this is starting with Rifle, use 5--land on enemy-->3-->4--get up-->2.. Switch to FT-->2-->1,1,1, repeat! Most things die once FT comes out, but it'll put a hurting on any veteran as well.

Utility skills also important here. Since you are going up alch tree for Deadly Mixture, elixirs are a good choice. Elixir B is a great buff, useful before foght starts for dmg or as a reliable source of swiftness for those GTFO moments. Elixir U dishes out insane DPS, but pay attention to which debuff you get (Frenzy in particular).

#16 spinedoc

spinedoc

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:23 PM

Thanks guys, some awesome suggestions.  It's such an interesting class, if I can find a good spot to kite and the mobs are all melee we are freakin GODS.  At 19 I was able to kite a level 25 veteran earth elemental AND 6 regular elementals, un freakin believable.  By the same token if there is any ranged mob in the mix forget about it, I feel like a complete and utter wimp.  I have to start using some more of our tools, but even using some of the elixirs and CC stuff I still feel wimpy.

Just to get a couple things straight, because what I will probably end up doing is going rifle/bomb and use grenade for big groups and DE's, and eventually using grenade for dungeon bosses which require range.  So I'm not going to kill myself filling out explosives because it seems like the only point of that trait line is for Grenadier, and I won't see that for a while.  When I'm 60 then maybe I'll go back and do that so I'm better in dungeons.  Firearms has some decent stuff so I'll fill that out.  I don't think I'm really going to bother too much with flamethrower, as much as I love it just seems underpowered and finicky.  Single target will be rifle, solo AOE will be bombs, DE's and bosses will be grenades, and ranged mobs will be who knows what, I suppose every class has to have its achilles heel.

The other classes I played were pretty straightforward, my warrior has a high crit/health regen/GS build which is insane.  My guard has a burn condition GS/sceptre build which is pretty nuts.  My ranger has a bleed/shortbow/condition build which to my surprise is stronger than my guard or my warrior.  But with the engineer the path is not as clear, it's really a thinking mans class to the max.

Edited by spinedoc, 10 September 2012 - 09:24 PM.

#17 Zenh

Zenh

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:48 PM

Make sure to get Speedy Kits in Tools (10 points) if nothing else. Absolutely amazing for leveling and getting around quickly (enables you to have 100% swiftness by spamming kits).

Edited by Zenh, 10 September 2012 - 10:48 PM.

#18 Ygnizem

Ygnizem

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:15 PM

I'm currently 60+ with 30 firearms and 20 alchemy.
I took the firearm trait which gives 5s swiftness on critical hit and coupled it with the alchemy trait that gives 5s vigor everytime you gain swiftness.

100% switfness and vigor in combat, really really good for dodging.
I am probably going for 30 alchemy (for backpack regenerator and additionnal buff duration) then 10 tools (speedy kits trait and +10% critical damage).
Maybe 20 tools instead, +20% crit damage and nice traits (speedy kits, gadget cooldown reduction etc...)

My favorite combo using all this is starting with Rifle, use 5--land on enemy-->3-->4--get up-->2.. Switch to FT-->2-->1,1,1, repeat! Most things die once FT comes out
Indeed it's devastating. When you use rifle 4 and get up, be sure to walk a few steps forward so both Flame Blast 'fireball' and 'blast' will hit.

#19 spinedoc

spinedoc

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:22 AM

OK I think I'm getting better at ranged targets.  Melee targets, forget about it, there isn't even a challenge except maybe a hammer can knock you down from far away.  For ranged I've been using my blind grenade and have found with fast cast targeting if I target and put my cursor on the ranged mob and run circles around it, I can usually keep the grenades hitting them.  I still have trouble getting grenades hit targets behind me chasing me so I'll still use bombs for that, but the grenades seem to work pretty well with ranged.

As for rifle, I find myself using it less and less.  I don't even find I need the net or the CC.  I'm also not really using elixirs because I have both grenades and bombs on my hotbar as I use them both pretty interchangably, my 3rd slot is prayer to kormir for a simple condition remover and I haven't unlocked my elite bar yet.  So far I only have 10 points into alchemy for the elixirs at 75 and 25% and think I may switch back to explosives for a bit until I unlock tier 2.

What are you guys picking for the first major trait in explosives?  I see a lot picking the increase to bomb/mine radius, but I haven't found that I need a larger radius on bombs when kiting at all.  If it was grenade radius I'd pick it in a second, but unfortunately it doesn't say that.  Maybe the damage bonus when endurance isn't full?

Edited by spinedoc, 11 September 2012 - 12:23 AM.

#20 Maal

Maal

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:22 AM

People take that fist explosive trait for the burn on crit.

I am now trying a new flamethrower/rifle build, i think it'll be sweet.
http://gw2skills.net...G0DAX37K6xjtc B
While on flamethrower, 8 stack of might (280 free power) from juggernaut. swaping kits give 7 sec of swiftness AND vigor (no cd on kit mean it's up whenever you want). Buff from elixir B last 13 sec (39 sec for might) + the free elixir B from alchemy. You get a stupid amount of buff on all the time.

The 3rd utility can be anything. i like rifle turret for it's low cd. Elite can be anything. Can swap the first firearm trait "vulne on crit" -> "rifle cooldown". Can swap 2nd alchemy trait "regen while holding a kit" -> "15% more flamethrower damage".

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users