• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Counciler

Counciler

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:05 AM

So, I remember from GW1 bleeding was a fairly weak condition. For many warriors, bleeding was just a stepping stone to deep wound, and wasn't really a tactic to use on its own unless used with tons of other degen like poison, disease, or hexes.

But here in GW2, I hear people mentioning the effective use of 'bleeds' a lot. I am unsure how the stacking system works, so this is probably where I'm going wrong... but what makes bleeding so useful in this game? What makes it better than the measly negative three pips in GW1?

#2 SourIncog

SourIncog

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:57 AM

I may be completely wrong but from what ive noticed is the stacking on bleeds means it ticks faster cause when im at 1 stack i get 1 bleed tick a second but when i hit around 10 im getting 3 to 4 bleed ticks a second

so im guessing that the more stacks you have the faster it ticks per second, so more dps especially when you have longer conditions

#3 Lightmgl

Lightmgl

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:59 AM

Yes you are correct, each bleed stack increases the frequency of ticks (stacking in intensity). Bleeding is quite powerful especially in PvE but the unfortunate downside is that bleeds have a max stack of 25 which is hit very easily, especially in dynamic events.

#4 Shamadamun

Shamadamun

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1353 posts
  • Guild Tag:[VV]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:02 AM

View PostLightmgl, on 10 September 2012 - 06:59 AM, said:

Yes you are correct, each bleed stack increases the frequency of ticks (stacking in intensity). Bleeding is quite powerful especially in PvE but the unfortunate downside is that bleeds have a max stack of 25 which is hit very easily, especially in dynamic events.

What's sad is there's alot of ways to hit the bleed cap with just one person...

#5 ProfGast

ProfGast

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:19 AM

To be precise, Bleed doesn't actually increase frequency of ticks, though the way the numbers fly it certainly looks like it does.  Basically each stack of bleed does a set amount of damage (wiki puts it as 2.5 + 0.5*level + 0.05* Condition Damage) each tick over the course of its duration.  Each additional stack causes the damage again at the same tick, so the formula is actually X* (2.5 + 0.5 * Level + 0.05 * Condition Damage) where X= number of stacks on that tick to a maximum of 25 stacks.

You an tell it's at a per tick by watching the way the target's HP decreases with large stacks of bleed.  He may have a lot of numbers flying, but the damage causes the hp to drop incrementally, not continuously.

That said, to answer the OP's question, Bleed is much more powerful because unlike in GW1, Health degen doesn't cap at 10 ticks total.  In fact, Bleed stacks are kinda like 1 set of health degen ticks, that can be maxed out, in addition to poison and burning damage sources.  And while burning, by itself, does significantly more damage than 1 stack of bleed, bleed's ability to stack itself means it can eventually outdamage burning by a fair clip (though it may take much more effort to get there)

Edit: I also noticed I forgot to answer a question.  The way "stacking" works is twofold.  The more common type of stacking (for both boons and conditions) is by duration.  Most GW2 conditions will add the new condition's duration onto the old one, so if they had a 5s burn on them, and you waited 2 seconds then added a 3 second burn, they would have 6 seconds of burn remaining.  Simple addition and subtraction.

For the less common stacks, intensity, Each application of the condition or boon is actually tracked separately.  Each time it is used it has its own internal timer, but can be applied multiple times.  Some skills apply the boon or condition multiple times at once (For Great Justice will give you 3 stacks of might for example).  With Intensity stacks, the object is to pull up as many stacks as possible in a short amount of time, so you have the most stacks active at any given time.  In the case of bleeding stacks, you also want to keep reapplying stacks so they maintain a high number.

Edited by ProfGast, 10 September 2012 - 07:25 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bleed, gw1, bleeding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users