9 replies to this topic

#1 ccapasso

ccapasso

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:18 PM

Hi all,

New to GW2 but played the original for a long time.

I am leveling a Necro and am trying to figure out the best setup to help level (solo).

Currently I'm level 22 and am doing pretty well.  I've been using a staff and basically spamming marks on targets.  Problem is, I seem to be pretty squishy as I've stacked all my gear with +condition.

I really like using the staff and mark, but not sure what would be the best way to go about gearing (weapons included) and leveling.

Any advice/suggestions would be very much appreciated.

#2 The Wizard Of Foz

The Wizard Of Foz

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:52 PM

View Postccapasso, on 10 September 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

Hi all,

New to GW2 but played the original for a long time.

I am leveling a Necro and am trying to figure out the best setup to help level (solo).

Currently I'm level 22 and am doing pretty well.  I've been using a staff and basically spamming marks on targets.  Problem is, I seem to be pretty squishy as I've stacked all my gear with +condition.

I really like using the staff and mark, but not sure what would be the best way to go about gearing (weapons included) and leveling.

Any advice/suggestions would be very much appreciated.

If you're stacking +Condition I'd suggest an epidemic build.

I personally recommend Wanderlust's low level condition build (The build also scales well into late game) http://www.guildwars...ion-guidebuild/

#3 TwistedFervor

TwistedFervor

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

I switched from a condition build to a power build around that lvl and have been liking it a lot more. I use dagger/focus while specking for a mix of power, vitality, and toughness. My build is here:
http://gw2skills.net...IF5qLA;TIADImFA

For soloing I try to engage 1 enemy at a time and kill it as fast as possible.
Spectral Grasp (#6 skill) is an awesome pulling ability that brings enemies into dagger range quickly.
I use the flesh golem to tank/knockdown on command.
I cast skill #4 to get a quick 9 stacks of vuln on the target, which lets my #1 skill do a ton of damage while gaining regen.
The wells work great with dagger because you are already next to your enemies- they are used when I pull a tough enemy or groups.
The staff on my other set is great for dynamic events with lots of enemies and people around.
Skills 2 and 4 are both heals, so combined with the normal heal (which is by far the best because of a quick cool down), I rarely go down.
Dont forget death shroud! Its super useful. Make sure you use your heal before using Death Shroud so the cooldown can reset while you're shrouded.

Gear: Power on armor, toughness and vit on jewelry. I tend towards more toughness/vit cuz I hate dying and don't mind fighting for a little longer.

Traits: Check out how I specked in the build link.

Customize to your own playstyle! This build works great in PvP too because of high DPS, and lots of snares to hold them in place.

TL:DR: Go dagger with wells and for a tanky necro with higher DPS- power rather than condition damage!

#4 takarazuka

takarazuka

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 403 posts
  • Profession:Necromancer
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:26 PM

In the end you can really go with whichever spec you feel most comfortable with.  The stats on gear are difficult until you reach (I believe) the 40+ range and you get 2 stats on your gear and eventually 3.  Minion and power builds are just as effective if you enjoy playing it and feel comfortable same as a condition build.

I really wish the game had a dual spec system so we could play around with more than 1 without having to pay for a respec everytime!  I run scep/dagger + wells with 1400 condition damage and can melt most groups quickly... but I would love to play with a dagger spec!

Edited by takarazuka, 10 September 2012 - 07:26 PM.

Your mostly friendly neighborhood necromancer and moderator.

In-Game: Takarazuka.3025

Tahrakh - 80 Necro | Takarazuka - 80 Necro | Benesal - 80 Warrior

Have a moderation related issue or just want to chat? Send me a PM

#5 SpelignErrir

SpelignErrir

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:00 AM

I found that Wanderlust's build doesn't get good until the mid 20's. I used a staff build until then

#6 ccapasso

ccapasso

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:05 PM

View PostThe Wizard Of Foz, on 10 September 2012 - 04:52 PM, said:

If you're stacking +Condition I'd suggest an epidemic build.

I personally recommend Wanderlust's low level condition build (The build also scales well into late game) http://www.guildwars...ion-guidebuild/

Thanks for the info all!

I've been using the above build and so far so good.

Leveling at a decent rate, but nothing super quick.  So far, I've been doing everything solo and trying to do as many world events as possible.

#7 Sieghildr

Sieghildr

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

Try and fit in some toughness/vit instead of stacking all conditions. Necro can take some hits in PvE so my advice is to always try and pull multiple mobs together to take advantage of your AoE conditions. By the time you kill the first with sceptor hits or whatever, the other 2-3 will be well on their way to death.

#8 ccapasso

ccapasso

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:37 PM

View PostSieghildr, on 13 September 2012 - 05:11 PM, said:

Try and fit in some toughness/vit instead of stacking all conditions. Necro can take some hits in PvE so my advice is to always try and pull multiple mobs together to take advantage of your AoE conditions. By the time you kill the first with sceptor hits or whatever, the other 2-3 will be well on their way to death.

I am :).  What I've done is gone all conditions as main stats, but am stacking vit in the empty slots of each armor piece.

I try as much as possible to pull in groups, as that is of course the most effective.  Sometimes, I even switch to staff before attacking, lay down some marks, then switch back to scepter/dagger and start my pulls.

I've found this to be extremely useful for events that have groups of mobs to attack!

#9 Bloggi

Bloggi

Savant

• Members
  • 857 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[CRAP]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:03 AM

Opinions would vary on this, but the staff is such useful AOE and crowd control (plus condition control) that it is virtually indispensible on a weapon swap. What traits have you invested in and what trait line up have you envisioned for level 80? The necro is *far* from squishy, from what I've found. If I'm stupid and stand in the line of a champion's strongest attack, then I *can* be one-shotted (or nearly so), but that rarely happens and the necro can take a substantial burst from a mob and still get away to heal up, death shroud and get back into the thick of it...or you may sometimes, by luck or by reading the battleground, hit F1 to go into death shroud and that secondary health bar will soak up the hits and leave your real health bar unscathed.

Some care is required with the necro in terms of positioning and active dodging. But to that end, the necro has tremendous potential for AOE damage and conditions. Just be careful of where you stand.

#10 SpelignErrir

SpelignErrir

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:02 AM

Staff is a somewhat more defensive weapon. It's nice to have for a weapon swap. S/D is where the damage is.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users