7 replies to this topic

#1 Baptisten

Baptisten

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:10 AM

Hi!

Long story short, I played a Holy Paladin in "The game that should not be mentioned", and I really enjoyed it.

For all of you that have played a healing character before, knows the feeling, right?

When your ally is going down and you save him like Jesus and there is light and angels and lots of crap bla bla....
You know what I mean. It makes you feel so indispensable and very needed.

I kind of like that feeling (mabey I am sick, who knows) and I wonder,
does playing a healing/supporting guardian gives you the same feeling?

Are you as needed like a healer in the not mentioned game?

Or at least, is it easy to get into dungeons-Pug's because you are wanted?

I hope all of you "watching-green-bars-go-up-and-down-addicts" can enlighten me in this, most serious, well written thread.

Thanks in advance.

Ps. I was looking at some random build in the data base: http://www.gw2db.com...d-survivability and it seems Guardians got a lot of goodies for your allies, right?

#2 Red_Falcon

Red_Falcon

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2417 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:13 AM

Long story short, you can't be a healer in GW2. Forget the holy paladin.

I'm not in the mood to explain the whole pasta, maybe someone else is willing, but there are articles around from Anet that explain this well.

#3 Gags

Gags

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LQD]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:19 AM

You can't be a healer in the sense of green bar syndrome. But they do offer probably the best array of support abilities for a group and yes some direct healing capabilities. But this wouldn't be your entire role, no one has a set role. Everyone needs to work together whether its controlling a mob, reviving a downed ally or just dpsing. So if you were to take this guardian support role, then you would not only 'support' the group but dps and control as well.

It's very much a group effort and people need to work together to get results.

Edited by Gags, 11 September 2012 - 03:19 AM.

#4 Baptisten

Baptisten

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:30 AM

View PostRed_Falcon, on 11 September 2012 - 03:13 AM, said:

Long story short, you can't be a healer in GW2. Forget the holy paladin.

I'm not in the mood to explain the whole pasta, maybe someone else is willing, but there are articles around from Anet that explain this well.

Hi, thanks for the answer!

There's no explanation needed, because I know that I can't be a dedicated healer.

It was probably a stupid thread to start in the middle of the night, but I wonder, will my addiction of help players in need be satisfying, or will I just be dissapointed.

Right now I playing a Thief and I succesfully pugged AC the other night and it was really nice and I got some of my healing/supporting needs filled with lots of combat resses and some use of Shadow Refuge and "self resses".  

But I might need some more, I'll guess I just start a Guardian and see for myself:)

View PostGags, on 11 September 2012 - 03:19 AM, said:

You can't be a healer in the sense of green bar syndrome. But they do offer probably the best array of support abilities for a group and yes some direct healing capabilities. But this wouldn't be your entire role, no one has a set role. Everyone needs to work together whether its controlling a mob, reviving a downed ally or just dpsing. So if you were to take this guardian support role, then you would not only 'support' the group but dps and control as well.

It's very much a group effort and people need to work together to get results.

Thanks to you aswell:)

So, if I want to be as helpfull as possible, guardian is the way to go then?

#5 Gags

Gags

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LQD]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:52 AM

I believe so, I also was a healer in said game that we wont mention (although Guild Wars was my first MMO) and from my experiences Guardians do have the most ways of supporting a group. Whether its from healing or aoe boons or even putting down fields on the ground to prohibit mobs from crossing.

In short, yes!

#6 Alch

Alch

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:15 AM

i play a guardian and coincidentally im building healing power over my other stats
and yeah you can make a huge difference in the combat, but mind you is completely different from healing on the mmo that shall not be named
to start yeah you can heal, but at best what you are doing is giving breathing room till they pop their own heals. truth is, despite all my healing power my barriers end being much more useful than my heals

i was in a rather noobish party doing AC explorable and a boss there uses scorpion wire on everyone in the party to drag everyone close to him for a spin attack that pretty much 1 shot anyone, after our 3rd wipe i decided to do something about that, changed my utilities skills a little bit and started giving stability and  aegis to the party when not using a barrier right near him every time the boss used that attack . and suddenly people stopped dying...   well not completely, some people still had to make few graveyard runs, but we killed him eventually. and was one of the most intense things i did in game in a good while

but that only worked because for me it was obvious when the boss was using that attack, because of the huge wind up animation before it. and somehow i was the only one not bad enough to figure that out.  i was dodging it myself way before i thought i could carry the whole group on my own, and i don't get how the others were not doing it themselves to be honest.

so in the end it is completely different from healing, a lot more proactive than healing, and required lots of attention, probably more close to tanking than healing

#7 jpg1

jpg1

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 420 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[LOA]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:18 AM

Think of the Guardian's healing as a nice side effect or a simple byproduct. It's like a side dish - the meat is more about control and prevention.

Edited by jpg1, 11 September 2012 - 04:19 AM.

#8 DessieDoo

DessieDoo

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Guild Tag:[BEST]

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:15 AM

You heal better than any other class in the game, but you'll never be truly great at it.  If you want to be credit to team, then focus on keeping your allies free of conditions and full of boons, and/or keeping the bad guys from going where you don't want them to.  And during that, you can do a little bit of healing for your buds and buy them a little time.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: healing, heal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users