• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Anyone cares helping me with a levelling PvE build?

levelling builds

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Khaleeshi

Khaleeshi

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

Hi guys,

I'd appreciate some help with my little engineer please.
I'm only playing PvE for the time being and have not yet found out which weapon-combo I like best. I also don't really know what stats to priorize when changing gear - at the moment it's a wild mix of precision, power and also vitality (I feel that class is rather squishy). Is it completely dumb to put a "Healing Pearl" in the upgrade slots?

She's level 11 now and I only spent two skill points (out of 8 or 9 I already have) so far because I had no clue what to go for.
I chose the grenade kit (which I like for AoE but is useless for single target ??) and the long range turret (not sure that was the best decision to make).

What  are your suggestions? (Apart from L2P, thanks a lot :P )

I have tried out all weapon combos, rifle,  pistol/shield , pistol/pistol and I feel rifle is most fun. The shield-combo feels a bit "safer" even though I don't often use the shielding skills anyways, pistol/pistol has no real advantages I could find as of yet.

If there is a link to an existing and useful guide, I wouldn't mind you pointing me there either :)

Cheers in advance

EDIT: I found this link to the GW-Insider engineer levelling guide - is it still "valid" after release? http://www.guildwars...egy/#more-13395

Edited by Khaleeshi, 12 September 2012 - 10:12 AM.

#2 Draegan

Draegan

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:47 PM

If it's just for leveling, just run around with a Flamethrower or Grenades and then with whatever weapon combo you enjoy.  Spec for "stuff happening on crit" like bleeds, burns and vuln.  Which is the Precision and Power lines.  Then go down the alchemy line.  

Once you get into the mid levels (40-60), you can start crafting different builds depending on the kits you like to use the most.

#3 Quillixx

Quillixx

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:03 PM

There is no cookie cutter leveling build for the most part.  There are some choices that you should decide are important to you.

Perma-Sprint?  If you want to have permanent sprint when running around questing, put your first 10 points into Tools, and select Speedy Kits #6.  Prior to level 20, unlock Med Kit and Elixir B for sprint for the levels leading up to 20.

AOE Damage?  Prefer to tag multiple mobs and clump them up for AOE bombing?  Pick up Grenade Kit, Flame Turret (more for the tool belt skill), and Thumper Turret.  Put 10 points into Tools for Static Discharge #2, which releases a high damage lightning ball that bounces between targets when ever you use a tool belt skill.

Single Target?  Rifle, Rifle Turret (for the tool belt skill), Tool Kit (for the tool belt skill), and Utility Goggles will give among the highest burst single target damage the Engineer can do.  You can choose to go 10 points into Tools for Static Discharge #2, or put your points into Firearms or Explosives for more Power or Crit.

Condition based Pistol build, Support build, etc, The question you need to ask is how you want to play while you level, and go from there. I can tell you that the fastest way to level is with perma-sprint.  A player with slightly less damage and permanent sprint can clear an entire map zone faster than the other builds.  Also remember that when you purchase the training books at level 40 and 60, your trait points are refunded for free, so you do get a respec at those levels.

#4 RieslingWine

RieslingWine

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:14 PM

I am a total noob to the Engi, but I can comment on what I have learned in my 20 lvls of playing it.

Grenades seem to be the best damage overall. Play with the auto targeting option where it throws the grenades wherever your mouse is vs you having to select the spot with the green circle. Flame thrower is lots of fun but it takes a bit getting used to for targeting. If you are using WASD for movement it may prove to be a challenge to consistently hit the moving targets. I use a G13 Gamepad it makes the gaming experience considerably better. Also with the FT you get this crazy flame wall. It is great damage but you have to make sure the target stays in it. I found that spec'ing for toughness and using gems for toughness and cond damage help me to tank the mob while it stands in the fire.

Getting +5 in Power seemed to make a nice difference when using pistol or rifle. As of right now I am using pistol and shield with the grenade barrage skill. It is working out real nicely as the grenade barrage does really good aoe long distance damage and I don't have to kite much to kill the mob that is 2 lvls above me.

Its a fun class to play, just experiment with the skills and see what you like best. There doesnt seem to be a "best" build so far.

#5 Zarffa

Zarffa

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 281 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Server:Ferguson’s Crossing

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:45 PM

First you will want to identify what your playstyle is like. Are you up close and personal? Do you like to hang back? Do you like to deal huge amounts of damage or do you prefer to support your allies?

This will help you get a better feel for what you enjoy doing and will allow you to hone in on the different kits and weapons.
For example, I prefer to hang back in fights and avoid damage all together. However, I sometimes get impatient and like to "speed" things up. So I use rifle with extended range (1,200) allowing me to sit back and snipe. But when things are taking too long, I swap to Flammenwerfer and really werfer some flammen. Now, because I wanted to focus on rifle and flamethrower, I traited in Firearms and Alchemy because it gives me increase precision, condition damage and vitality. So I am much less squishy and hit pretty hard.

Perhaps the inverse of that is going Pistol and Grenades. Pistols are much shorter range and spread conditions, but when things get too heavy you can pull pack swap to grenades and deal AoE damage from safety.

Another is to specialize in the Exilir gun and support your allies with Exilirs. You could also just use rifle and gadgets and be like Inspecter Gadget with something for every situation.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/ is a great site for theorycrafting, just remember to change the langauge from Russian to English if you don't speak Russian.

EDIT: Oh, and for leveling, just put 10 points in Firearms (regardless of what you do you'll be using pistols or rifle often). Otherwise, don't worry about traits and just experiment with everything so at the very least you can get a feel for things. Look for strengths, weaknesses and overall enjoyability. You are still a budding engineer. Don't worry about where to spend trait points that you don't have.

Oh oh oh, and don't bother with Huntsman for now. Focus on Jewelry and Leatherworker. Weapons are easy to find, armour with specific traits not so much. Besides, Leatherworker and Huntsman share important materials, but Leatherworker you can craft a full set of armour while Huntsman you can only craft 2 or 3 weapons.

Edited by iToasterHD, 12 September 2012 - 07:57 PM.

#6 marvalis

marvalis

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:17 PM

Killing speed and running speed are the most important factors determining your levelling speed.

Rifle does more damage then pistols, I used that in the early levels.
Grenades will do highest damage when you reach the 30 trait 'grenadier' in explosions.

You get running speed trough the med kit 5th skill and elixir B. You don't have to get speedy kits.
Instead, put your trait points into explosions, this will give you more power = faster kills.

This is how you use it: Use elixir B and then immediately use the 5th med kit skill. Swiftness will stack in duration. You will get 20 seconds of speed boost, and in that time your med kit skill will recharge and you use it again. After 10 more seconds you will have to wait 10 seconds and then you repeat the cycle.

For your gear, you primary damage stat is power, secondary damage stat is precision. Condition damage will always do less damage (that does not mean it does not work, it just works differently).

http://gw2skills.net...qQ /UQuA;TEAjCA

Edited by marvalis, 12 September 2012 - 09:20 PM.

#7 Adakias

Adakias

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:39 PM

I'd suggest going a rifle build with high precision/power and toughness, then vitality.  In terms of skills, I'd go flamethrower first, then elixir B then elixir U (at least I think U is in the first tier, if not you could go personal battering ram). Flamethrower is a fantatsic opener with skill 2, and really good for anything over 1 enemy. Also keep in mind that rifle bullets pierce, so if you've only got two enemies you can usually kite them around in a way that always hits both. But anything over 2 I'm pretty much 100% flamethrower.

And against one enemy, you can open with flamethrower 2, net them, rifle 3 then 5, then rifle 4 to knock back, switch to flamethrower and run forward a few steps (you'll get the hang of how far to run) then flamethrower 2 again for a pretty nasty burst combo.
edit: just to state, you can do the same combo with flamethrower 3 instead of rifle 4, but I find my napalm ball bugs out by terrain waaayyyy less often off rifle 4 than flamethrower 3. It's almost like sometime the game registers that backdraft you see as an object and obstructs the ball that way. So I almost always prefer rifle 4, and if they live long enough for two combos and rifle 4 isnt back up, then i'll use flamethrower 3 for the knockback combo.

Traits it's a little hard to suggest since you only have one tier of points available to you. But absolutely get speedy kits first for permaswiftness while leveling. Everything else really depends on your playstyle and what you find yourself using most.

Edited by Adakias, 12 September 2012 - 10:42 PM.

#8 Draegan

Draegan

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:01 PM

Try this combo instead:
FT 2
Rifle 5
Rifle 3
Rifle 4
FT 2

You should hit with both explosions.

You can supplement Rifle with Elixer gun by running in with EG 2 then 3.  Once you get in range hit 4 to jump back and then go back to FT2.

#9 Khaleeshi

Khaleeshi

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:04 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions and help :)

From what I read here I learned that I am most likely better off with a long range rifle, since I really don't care for being in melee range with mobs.

I have experimented a bit and found out that I like the net turret (which kindly saved my life more than once, keeping the mobs at bay whilst I was successfully fighting to survive).

Flamethrower is a good alternative, the only downside I found was that it has no auto attack.

View PostiToasterHD, on 12 September 2012 - 07:45 PM, said:

-snip-

cheers for all the useful extra-info :)

#10 frzn

frzn

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:51 AM

View PostKhaleeshi, on 14 September 2012 - 06:04 AM, said:

Flamethrower is a good alternative, the only downside I found was that it has no auto attack.
It does, it's just that kits forget your autoattack every time you swap them out so you have to set it again every time you equip it.

#11 Zarffa

Zarffa

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 281 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Server:Ferguson’s Crossing

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:57 AM

View PostKhaleeshi, on 14 September 2012 - 06:04 AM, said:

I believe I have heard that they are working on it. But I have no official nor reliable source. Just recall someone saying it... Perhaps it was just wishful thinking.

#12 grintar

grintar

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:35 AM

the flamethrower and general auto attack on kits is being looked at.

https://forum-en.gui...Kit-Auto-Attack

Anet commented on it but said it wasnt as straight forward as one would imagine.

as to the OP, i can only recommend just playing around with all the kits and find what you prefer.  it took me sometime to find what i preferred, and, what i prefer may not be what others do.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: levelling, builds

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users