Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Full Magic Find Gear worth it?


  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bear Storm

Bear Storm

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:49 AM

Is it worth acquiring Magic Find on every piece of gear at level 80? Or is only 84-90% from Runes and Food simply enough?

I feel like with Jewels and Armor, you sacrifice a lot of stats just to get innate Magic Find attributes on them.

Edited by Bear Storm, 13 September 2012 - 02:50 AM.


#2 hendel65

hendel65

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:41 AM

I have no magic find at all at 80. I was of the opinion that it was a gimmicky farming only stat that will gimp you in pve?

#3 Jusba

Jusba

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:15 AM

I have two sets of gear, one is all about magic find.

#4 turbo234

turbo234

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1036 posts
  • Location:Oak Creek, WI
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:22 AM

Ever since I applied a full set of runes giving me magic find boosts and using magic find consumables I have found a lot more greens/blues/golds than I previously did. I do feel it makes a huge difference.

#5 Bear Storm

Bear Storm

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:52 PM

When you slot Magic Find with Runes and food, you can easily get about 80% MF or more without sacrificing stats.

But once you start replacing Armor and Rings with them, you're giving up an entire third trait, that could either provide you with more survivability or damage. It's a lot of total stats to give up, pretty much you're cutting your total stats by 1/3rd.

#6 Blixcoe

Blixcoe

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 924 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:55 PM

View PostBear Storm, on 13 September 2012 - 06:52 PM, said:

When you slot Magic Find with Runes and food, you can easily get about 80% MF or more without sacrificing stats.

But once you start replacing Armor and Rings with them, you're giving up an entire third trait, that could either provide you with more survivability or damage. It's a lot of total stats to give up, pretty much you're cutting your total stats by 1/3rd.

But remember this is in regard to farming-only gear. You're not going to an instance with this gear just running around gathering materials.

#7 Bear Storm

Bear Storm

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:04 PM

View PostBlixcoe, on 13 September 2012 - 06:55 PM, said:

But remember this is in regard to farming-only gear. You're not going to an instance with this gear just running around gathering materials.

Yes, but Magic find gear gives only secondary stats in Precision and Power. You're sacrificing about 250+ stats on the Armor for a measly gain of 18% magic find.

For Trinkets, it's a sacrifice of 150+ stats for 30-35% magic find.

Now the question here is which is more suitable, having 400+ more stats or having 48% more Magic Find? I feel like 86% is already enough as it is, and reducing your killing power by that much for such little gains might have diminishing returns.

Edited by Bear Storm, 13 September 2012 - 08:04 PM.


#8 blargian

blargian

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:53 PM

View PostBear Storm, on 13 September 2012 - 08:04 PM, said:

Yes, but Magic find gear gives only secondary stats in Precision and Power. You're sacrificing about 250+ stats on the Armor for a measly gain of 18% magic find.

For Trinkets, it's a sacrifice of 150+ stats for 30-35% magic find.

Now the question here is which is more suitable, having 400+ more stats or having 48% more Magic Find? I feel like 86% is already enough as it is, and reducing your killing power by that much for such little gains might have diminishing returns.
but if your a guardian u can just lulz your way through any of the out of dungeon combat with little to no gear so ill be out there finding 50% more than u :P

Edited by blargian, 13 September 2012 - 09:53 PM.


#9 Omniabsent12

Omniabsent12

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:53 PM

It depends on the amount of worth you're talking about.  If you're built for ranged support, it's probably not a big deal to sacrifice a few damage or survival stats for better items.  If you're trying to optimise your hero to do as much damage as possible however, it may irk you to lose out on damage.

Personally I don't understand why it's designed for us to have to choose MF over stats at all but there's no damage meters or anything so the thorough optimisation of stats isn't a big deal anyway.

You might die more and do less damage, but you get cooler loot which is probably half the reason you're there anyway.

#10 Ukhai

Ukhai

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:38 PM

View Posthendel65, on 13 September 2012 - 04:41 AM, said:

I have no magic find at all at 80. I was of the opinion that it was a gimmicky farming only stat that will gimp you in pve?

Warrior Sword/Warhorn with bleed and shout traits. Going through dungeons and everything else just fine.

#11 Epedimek

Epedimek

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

does the magic find affect the events with the big chests at the end, like The Shatterer and the undead dragon?

#12 Andy88

Andy88

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

To the OP, keep in mind that 98% of the MF related answers are by anecdotal "evidence", placebo effect and misjudging random distribution.
So i would be very skeptical until proper math and testing was done. The problem is most go out farming and put there MF set on, this alone will trigger a placebo effect on every better than blue drop. Its obviously hard to-do "blind" tests and most simply don't bother to setup/build a valid test method, with a large enough and stable data set.
So keep using the MF food, since u get at least the placebo out of it.

Edited by Andy88, 17 September 2012 - 03:41 PM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users