7 replies to this topic

#1 Skillo

Skillo

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:20 PM

Hi,

I've become fed up with having to wait so long for the game to load when travelling from one place to another. Currently, it takes around 30 seconds to 4-5 minutes to load, depending on how close the waypoint is - closer seems to load faster.

I was advised ingame that the problem either lies in the HDD or Ram. However, my desktop is relatively new, so I doubt that that's the issue. Defragmenting is to no avail either, as I'm always at 0% fragmented on all drives.

Personally, I think it may be to do with the fact that I'm still using the same client from closed stress tests/BWEs. Since then, I haven't redownloaded the client or changed anything; I don't know if we were supposed to. The whole GW2 Folder at the moment is at 17.5GB on disc for me. Maybe I don't have the full content downloaded?

Someone ingame also briefly mentioned Command Line Arguments, specifically the "-image" one. I'm not sure how this works, but it didn't seem to do anything.

I'm also having relatively low fps, somewhere in the region of 10-60fps on the lowest possible settings, and around 7-40fps on the highest settings. Has the game not been optimised for my setup yet? Or is this kinda framerate the standard for the likes of my PC?

I'd be very grateful if someone could provide some helpful suggestions and advice.

System specs:
  • ATI Radeon HD 5770 @ 2GB (12.8 Beta / Graphic Driver)
  • AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core (4 CPU's @ 2.2GHz)
  • 4GB Ram
  • 1680 x 1050 Screen Resolution
  • Windows 7, x64 bit
Thank you.

Edited by Skillo, 13 September 2012 - 09:35 PM.

#2 Vepo

Vepo

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DHL]
  • Server:Underworld

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:01 PM

I would firstly recommend you uninstall the client you are using and reinstall from the latest version on the Guild Wars 2 website. Once that is done, also make sure you have updated  to the latest drivers for your hardware.

Also once the client has reinstalled, make sure play around the settings. Finally make sure to not have too many things running in the background when you are playing Guild Wars 2.

If you have Norton Anti-Virus, I would recommend you remove it and find a better anti-virus which gamer friendly like Kaspersky or NOD32.

#3 pencil

pencil

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:23 PM

Is it thrashing your hdd during loading? I've got it on an SSD and it still loads fairly slowly. Not much faster than when it was on a rust drive. I think a lot of it is due to the network connections going on. Sometimes it seems to take a long time to make these.

#4 The Comfy Chair

The Comfy Chair

The best at space

• Members
  • 5331 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[TKOT]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:42 PM

It'll be your CPU at a guess. Admittedly, although slow, i wouldn't think it would take 4 minutes, but it's not actually too farfetched really considering it would also be alongside DDR2 RAM (it can take up to a minute for some maps to load on my laptop, which is a fair bit faster). The CPU would definitely explain your FPS dips.

Edited by The Comfy Chair, 14 September 2012 - 12:43 PM.

If you want to check if your computer will run GW2, check here.

If you find out you can't and need to think about upgrading or building another, check here.

#5 Etta

Etta

99 Problems

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:42 PM

5 mins to load? That doesn't seem right even with a none SSD. Mine is pretty fast 20-40 sec, well a lot faster than swtor anyway. You can try using something like Auslogis disk defrag, on the GW2 folder and see if that help. As for your system, it's nothing to shout about. That Phenom is pretty old, try lower the resolution as well as the settings.

#6 The Comfy Chair

The Comfy Chair

The best at space

• Members
  • 5331 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[TKOT]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:44 PM

Resolution (and most settings anyway) wont do anything for CPU limitations, the OP can afford to run the game on high easily enough.

If you want to check if your computer will run GW2, check here.

If you find out you can't and need to think about upgrading or building another, check here.

#7 JunoGuts

JunoGuts

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:45 PM

Both me and my brother have and SSD, the difference lies in the ram, my brother has 4GB i got 16GB i load pretty fast between waypoints, he takes a little more time. but nothing like 4-5 mins, maybe around 40-50 secs

#8 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3324 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:20 PM

Check in the Control Panel, under Power Options, that the hard drive isn't set to turn off after an amount of time (you will need to find 'advanced options' to set this). If the hard drive is turning off while you play, you would have to wait for it to spin up and become 'ready' before the game can access it to load a new area.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users