Whilst I agree that guardians lack a viable ranged weapon (especially for the very dynamic PvP encounters) I have to disagree with the lack of mobility I have as a guardian. Quite on the contrary actually, one of my main reasons to play guardian instead of warrior is his mobility/ability to kill kiting players or mobs. In my build I have:
1) A leap skill with 900 (or was it 600?) range
2) Judges' Intervention (teleport with 1200 range)
3) Binding Blades which pulls the enemies towards me (and although this only has a range of 600, when combined with JI or Leap I'll get within that range most of the time
4) Signet of Wrath (?) not sure if that's the one, but it gives me passive extra condition damage and when activated a 3 second immobilize
5) Ethereal Chains (again, not sure of that what it's called) it's the no. 3 skill on the scepter which ommibilizes for another 3 seconds.
And although I know warriors are (one of the) least mobile professions in the game and every class seems mobile compared to the warrior I do think guardians stand quite high in that hierarchy. On the other hand, I haven't played the truely mobile classes too much yet (my elementalist is level 34 and my thief is level 14). Maybe I'll think completely different about the mobility of a guardian when I've played these two professions a bit more.
If you build yourself around mobility, it opens you up to conditions, knockbacks, and knockdowns. Anyone that's paying attention will be able to deal with your distance closing points (the only time you can do damage) with proper defenses, and start kiting you again. If you build yourself to counter control and conditions, then you lose that gap closing ability.
Guardians have no boost to basic run speed, which makes it hard to do anything to a thief, and even a warrior which wants to buy time for his cooldowns, by simply running away. A well played elementalist is a nightmare to try and catch. Rangers might not have any speed boost, but they have options for keeping distance, and can do so very effectively, while pelting you with significant amounts of damage.
Not only do those classes kite you effectively, they are forced to, as a guardian in melee range is a forced to be reconed with. I don't think I've lost a fight to anyone that tried to stand toe-to-toe and slug it out, except for people that outgear me, blow elites, or were another guardian.
Edited by Drops, 19 September 2012 - 07:45 AM.