• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Is the Guardian OP and will it be nerfed?

guardian nerf op

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 Drops

Drops

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • Guild Tag:[NP]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:42 AM

View PostZhero, on 19 September 2012 - 06:54 AM, said:

Whilst I agree that guardians lack a viable ranged weapon (especially for the very dynamic PvP encounters) I have to disagree with the lack of mobility I have as a guardian. Quite on the contrary actually, one of my main reasons to play guardian instead of warrior is his mobility/ability to kill kiting players or mobs. In my build I have:

1) A leap skill with 900 (or was it 600?) range  
2) Judges' Intervention (teleport with 1200 range)
3) Binding Blades which pulls the enemies towards me (and although this only has a range of 600, when combined with JI or Leap I'll get within that range most of the time
4) Signet of Wrath (?) not sure if that's the one, but it gives me passive extra condition damage and when activated a 3 second immobilize
5) Ethereal Chains (again, not sure of that what it's called) it's the no. 3 skill on the scepter which ommibilizes for another 3 seconds.

And although I know warriors are (one of the) least mobile professions in the game and every class seems mobile compared to the warrior I do think guardians stand quite high in that hierarchy. On the other hand, I haven't played the truely mobile classes too much yet (my elementalist is level 34 and my thief is level 14). Maybe I'll think completely different about the mobility of a guardian when I've played these two professions a bit more.

If you build yourself around mobility, it opens you up to conditions, knockbacks, and knockdowns.  Anyone that's paying attention will be able to deal with your distance closing points (the only time you can do damage) with proper defenses, and start kiting you again.  If you build yourself to counter control and conditions, then you lose that gap closing ability.

Guardians have no boost to basic run speed, which makes it hard to do anything to a thief, and even a warrior which wants to buy time for his cooldowns, by simply running away.  A well played elementalist is a nightmare to try and catch.  Rangers might not have any speed boost, but they have options for keeping distance, and can do so very effectively, while pelting you with significant amounts of damage.

Not only do those classes kite you effectively, they are forced to, as a guardian in melee range is a forced to be reconed with.  I don't think I've lost a fight to anyone that tried to stand toe-to-toe and slug it out, except for people that outgear me, blow elites, or were another guardian.

Edited by Drops, 19 September 2012 - 07:45 AM.

#32 Senatic

Senatic

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1913 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:49 AM

View PostDrops, on 19 September 2012 - 07:42 AM, said:

Guardians have no boost to basic run speed

Symbol of Swiftness and "Retreat" wants to say hello.

Together they can give your entire team a total of 50 seconds of 33% increased movement speed with only a 10 second downtime until the boost can be reapplied.

#33 Drops

Drops

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • Guild Tag:[NP]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:55 AM

View PostSenatic, on 19 September 2012 - 07:49 AM, said:

Together they can give your entire team a total of 50 seconds of 33% increased movement speed with only a 10 second downtime until the boost can be reapplied.

That's not what I mean.  Movement speed with no buffs, just passives.  Thieves and Warriors have a boost to it without doing anything.

#34 Gecko

Gecko

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

I started a guardian a week ago, and to be honest, I find it a little too good to be fun. My two other toons are an engineer and a mesmer, and they are only good when I play them good. They shine when I get a semideep understanding of them, and they really require me to be good. On my guardian, on the other hand, I can walk in to any fight, mash all my skills and be succesful. I would really like a rather hard nerf, so I actually have to play well to succeed.

#35 lalangamena

lalangamena

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

Necromancer specced into threadomancy is OP

#36 heatrr

heatrr

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

View PostGecko, on 25 February 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

On my guardian, on the other hand, I can walk in to any fight, mash all my skills and be succesful. I would really like a rather hard nerf, so I actually have to play well to succeed.

Build? Further, I call BS. Go take your build into WvW and "mash all" your skills and let me know how "successful" you really are. Given the new scaling changes, I hardly doubt you can simply "mash all" your skills and be successful depending upon the PvE event(s)you do now that most of the events - tunnel events for example - are now accompanied by 2-4 champions.  

You challenge your build, not simply walk into fights that you know you can "mash all" your skills and be allegedly successful.
Besides, I have a glass cannon GS Memser that I feel can walk into WvW or PvE areas and smoke dog all day long - can I easily make the same claim(s) as you just did on the guardian? Yeah, maybe the Mesmer needs a "hard nerf" too, huh?

#37 Gamidragon

Gamidragon

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DEAD]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:24 AM

View PostSenatic, on 19 September 2012 - 07:49 AM, said:

This isn't quite right.  With no boon duration, it's only 28 seconds together, and you can't stack symbol of swiftness like normal.  If you already have swiftness, Symbol of Swiftness will only add 1 second to it each pulse, rather than 10.  With 35% boon duration, Symbol of Swiftness, Retreat, Save Yourselves, and the shout cooldowns trait you can just barely get perma swiftness if you keep your shouts on cd at all times and always use symbol of swiftness to give yourself that first 10s of swiftness.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: guardian, nerf, op

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users