• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Is someone else but me really bad in this game?

controls skills

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 Sheba

Sheba

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:31 PM

View PostLazmira, on 15 September 2012 - 08:20 PM, said:

I was about to say what the poster said above me, ever thought of getting a gaming mouse? I actually decided to for this game and you don't know how much it has helped me! Literally if I was still playing with the keyboard I would have been so much slower and probably using the wrong abilities. I can certainly tell you it will help you drastically! However you need to find the right mouse that fits you! Also it does take a while to realize you can't use your keyboard keys anymore. xD
Can you recommend one? I'm in hospital and can't just go into a computer shop right now. We might have a different selection here in Germany, but I really never looked into these things before (I'm poor xD), so I don't even have a clue where to start if I just look some up at Amazon.

#32 Astral Projections

Astral Projections

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 446 posts
  • Guild Tag:[MIND]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:54 PM

I recommend either a gaming mouse with enough buttons or a keypad. I had to get a Naga mouse to do the skills with my right hand as playing twister with my fingers made me have to much trouble doing skills and moving at the same time  You have to rebind keys to fit your hands and how they rest comfortably . So I use the mouse with buttons for my skills and remapped the F keys to C V B N, where my left thumb rests naturally and is easy for me to reach. I put dodge on the space bar. Place your left hand on the movement keys and see where your other fingers rest and remap according to that. This game is so much more fast paced than GW1 where I was a mouse clicker :) and there is a steep learning curve.

#33 Sheba

Sheba

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:05 PM

o_O These things are around 70-100 Euro here, according to Amazon. There's no way I can afford that. :qq:

Ugh, if I place my fingers on my moving keys, all I can reach well is Crtl and the 0 of my numpad, but my GW2 doesn't recognize my numpad, no matter what I do with the numlock. I use three fingers for the movement keys, too, so I essentially have only two fingers free. It's better if I use my right hand for that and not my left, but using the mouse with my left hand makes me move the camera as if I'm drunk. Left hand = completely useless.

But yeah, this game is super-fastpaced. I actually dislike that a bit, despite liking the abolishment of the trinity. The non-MMO games I play are tons and tons of turn-based RPGs and danmaku shooters because I suck at quick reactions.

It probably doesn't help much that I'm more of a solo player...

#34 Sevahren

Sevahren

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:09 PM

I find fun only when i fight monsters that are at least 3 lvls up.

Seriously, i had some trouble getting used to F keys and shifted my 7890 to Shift +1,2,3,4 but it took like what, 1 hour ? You have to be crippled retard to not hit buttons properly.

Edited by Sevahren, 15 September 2012 - 09:09 PM.

#35 Sheba

Sheba

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:21 PM

View PostSevahren, on 15 September 2012 - 09:09 PM, said:

I find fun only when i fight monsters that are at least 3 lvls up.

Seriously, i had some trouble getting used to F keys and shifted my 7890 to Shift +1,2,3,4 but it took like what, 1 hour ? You have to be crippled retard to not hit buttons properly.
I actually probably am "crippled retard", yeah. But I suppose my lack of ability to pull off combos and stuff is even more retarded than my lack of key-hitting skills. I'm not kidding you when I tell you I played GW1 with the same eight skills from beginning to end and forever. I'm overchallenged with all the skills and possibilities and the fact that I have to place myself strategically and stuff. I kinda...want GW1 gameplay back where I could just stand in the back row and spam Conjure Phantasm, Crippling Anguish and Empathy over and over. I think I would actually be pretty good at pushing buttons and using my skills well in GW2 if I wouldn't have to run around and move the camera, damnit.

#36 Kuldebar

Kuldebar

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:25 PM

My biggest challenge has been adjusting to the actions bars and locked layout of GW2...to a lesser degree, I had this problem with GW as well.

I would much prefer it if ANet allowed us to move our selected abilities where we wanted them:

4 Profession Skills, 3 Utility Skills, 1 Heal and 5 Weapon Skills...that's 13 slots...now let me choose how to arrange those on a 13 slot bar config.

I use a G13, so I'm not suffering too much, but it would have been nice to have the in-game bars/kills reflect the G13 layout to some degree.

Edited by Kuldebar, 15 September 2012 - 09:26 PM.

#37 Asterai

Asterai

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:31 AM

I don't know mesmers well enough to tell you about playing them, but necros can survive a lot, and I hear earth-attuned elementalists can as well.  Another thing to consider is guardian; they wear plate, sure, but they can sit back with staff or scepter/focus and act a lot like a caster, and they're incredibly survivable.  I'm not suggesting that you take these up permanently, necessarily; more that you should consider playing one while you're learning to keep up with the gameplay.  I plan to move from tough, tanky professions towards the frail, finicky professions as I develop more skill at the game.

I play with four fingers on skills 1-4, my thumb on the D key (gotta have that circle strafe) or F key, and move my index finger for skills 5 & 6 as well as to hit R to toggle auto-run.  My right hand, in the meantime, steers the camera, selects targets, and clicks on my less-used utility skills.

It's not a perfect setup; I occasionally hit the wrong key, and a lot of skilled gamers probably wouldn't approve of the skill clicking.  It works well enough, though, for my needs so far.

Edited by Asterai, 16 September 2012 - 02:35 AM.

#38 trigunz81

trigunz81

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:58 AM

OP - check out logitech g300, one of the most affordable out there.
I play an ele, and this mouse is a lifesaver.
I map the four side buttons to F1-F4.
The scroll wheel click goes to button 9, which is my "oh, sh*t" escape skill.
One last button goes to button 6, the heal.
The only keys I have to fumble over now are 7,8,0. Sometimes I just use my mouse to click them while in combat.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: controls, skills

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users