Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
* * * * - 13 votes

Thief - A basic Guide

thief guide shortbow pve

  • Please log in to reply
257 replies to this topic

#181 Thorfinnr

Thorfinnr

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 609 posts
  • Location:Hangin' with the Kodan
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Guild Tag:[DIVA]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

View PostThe Shadow, on 11 January 2013 - 07:06 PM, said:

I changed your utility skills too. The movement speed signet is great, the active effect is a bit meh, only real use for it is in PvP when stomping.. but like I said, great for travelling. Shadow Refuge is great because it stacks like 11s stealth which is more than enough to Rez a downed team member or run away from a sticky situation or just use it for the regen. Fairly long cool down however, so Blinding Powder is worth considering too. Or indeed ambush trap (for solo PvE). Since D/D doesn't use much initiative, Shadow step is actually better than Roll for Initiative as it serves as condition removal as well as stun-break.

Never an idiot...lol  I get the trait swaps, and that makes sense...I like the Shadow Step substitution.

Now a favor...can you, in a nut shell, explain how Shadow Refuge stacks Stealth? I don't see anywhere on its description...I mean do you fire it off and just stand in it and the when its done you have 11 secs of stealth? Most of this stuff I understand...but that one thing has me stumped...lol :)

#182 Tanic Cadarn

Tanic Cadarn

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:42 AM

Shadow,

I noticed in your comments after the guide, you said in PvE very often you were 3 armor pieces that are Beserker and 3 armor  pieces that are Rampager?
I am curious why you do this and how you find it compares to running full Beserker?

Thanks

#183 Minion

Minion

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 761 posts
  • Location:moi preciouss council house
  • Guild Tag:[Fäp]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

View PostThorfinnr, on 11 January 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

Never an idiot...lol  I get the trait swaps, and that makes sense...I like the Shadow Step substitution.

Now a favor...can you, in a nut shell, explain how Shadow Refuge stacks Stealth? I don't see anywhere on its description...I mean do you fire it off and just stand in it and the when its done you have 11 secs of stealth? Most of this stuff I understand...but that one thing has me stumped...lol :)

It's a pulse... The longer you stay in it the more stealth you get. I think it's 3s stealth per second, for a maximum of 12s stealth. Note that when the ring around iHouse disappears (sorry, I never call it Shadow Refuge) you can walk outside the ring and remain cloaked, but if you leave before that and you de-cloak immediately.

#184 wtgssg

wtgssg

    Fahrar Cub

  • New Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

Hello, I run a d/d condition thief, pretty much fell in love with it while I was leveling. Trying to keep a long story short, I've gotten around to working on finishing my condition set and figuring out what I felt worked best with dungeons, but I'm a bit unsure on my weapons. Of course, my main weapons of choice are d/d, I also carry p/p and my trusty sb for ranged, which alternate depending on the dungeon/bosses.

I sort of found a usefulness in p/p as more of "control" when my group needs the help (e.g. locking down those pesky knockdown combo coutiers in TA, or popping a blind here and there). However, the bleed stacks are poor (maybe 5 if lucky). I want to upgrade my pistols to exotics now that I'm running a storm with a good guild, but I am a little unsure what I want to do with them. I was thinking of picking up a set of condition pistols, slapping a bleed sigil in one and damage in the other, allowing me some more bleed ticks off of unload and the other skills (when they're needed), or perhaps making them berserker pistols, due to the lack of condition stacking. For the berserker set though, being I'm conditions and all, while I have an extremely nice crit chance (about 50%) I lack the crit damage.

So, I was looking for some second thoughts about the pistols and their place in my condition thief's arsenal.

#185 The Shadow

The Shadow

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 811 posts
  • Location:UK
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[EXG]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

View PostTanic Cadarn, on 12 January 2013 - 05:42 AM, said:

Shadow,

I noticed in your comments after the guide, you said in PvE very often you were 3 armor pieces that are Beserker and 3 armor  pieces that are Rampager?
I am curious why you do this and how you find it compares to running full Beserker?

Thanks

I use to do this because there wasn't a noticeable lack in crit damage but there was a noticeable improvement in the DoT from bleeds when using Shortbow.

That was due to my rune-choice at the time as I wasn't using Divinity Runes. Since then I haven't really tried a full-out Condition/ Power hybrid build on Thief and have opted for pure Berserker with Divinity to maximize crit-damage and forsaking the DoT from SB.


View Postwtgssg, on 12 January 2013 - 11:48 AM, said:

Hello, I run a d/d condition thief, pretty much fell in love with it while I was leveling. Trying to keep a long story short, I've gotten around to working on finishing my condition set and figuring out what I felt worked best with dungeons, but I'm a bit unsure on my weapons. Of course, my main weapons of choice are d/d, I also carry p/p and my trusty sb for ranged, which alternate depending on the dungeon/bosses.

I sort of found a usefulness in p/p as more of "control" when my group needs the help (e.g. locking down those pesky knockdown combo coutiers in TA, or popping a blind here and there). However, the bleed stacks are poor (maybe 5 if lucky). I want to upgrade my pistols to exotics now that I'm running a storm with a good guild, but I am a little unsure what I want to do with them. I was thinking of picking up a set of condition pistols, slapping a bleed sigil in one and damage in the other, allowing me some more bleed ticks off of unload and the other skills (when they're needed), or perhaps making them berserker pistols, due to the lack of condition stacking. For the berserker set though, being I'm conditions and all, while I have an extremely nice crit chance (about 50%) I lack the crit damage.

So, I was looking for some second thoughts about the pistols and their place in my condition thief's arsenal.

To get the most out of P/ (in terms of Condition damage) you have to use bleed duration Runes (x2 Krait, x2 Centaur, x2 afflicted) and Sigils (Agony). If you're going Crit/ Cond (Prec, Tough, Cond) the Earth sigil works wonders.. if you're going Carrion you wont have enough precision to proc Earth often. If you're going Berserker, you don't need to worry about Condition Damage from P/ at all. Just use it for vulnerability, BP and Unload at times and go for full Crit Damage.

#186 Tanic Cadarn

Tanic Cadarn

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:08 AM

So then what is your take on the rune debate of divinity - scholar - eagle?

Also, I've been debating which ascended rings to really use, what have been your thoughts?
Part of me wants to use both of the beserker like rings: Ring of Red Death and Crystalline Band, however, part of me wonders if the overall stat gain from using the multi stat rings: Lunaria Circle of the Moon and Solaria Circle of the Sun would provide greater benefit.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

#187 The Shadow

The Shadow

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 811 posts
  • Location:UK
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[EXG]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

View PostTanic Cadarn, on 13 January 2013 - 07:08 AM, said:

So then what is your take on the rune debate of divinity - scholar - eagle?

Also, I've been debating which ascended rings to really use, what have been your thoughts?
Part of me wants to use both of the beserker like rings: Ring of Red Death and Crystalline Band, however, part of me wonders if the overall stat gain from using the multi stat rings: Lunaria Circle of the Moon and Solaria Circle of the Sun would provide greater benefit.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

I personally use Divinity. I see the merit in Eagle. I don't really like Scholar at all.

The reason I use Divinity is because you get +60 stat points for each stat. Might not seem like much.. but when you invest 20 or so points in Acrobatics or Shadow Arts all of a sudden you have 260 points in that stat as opposed to just 60.. That starts to become quite noticeable.. But while doing so.. you don't forsake a noticeable amount of DPS either.

I don't like Scholar because I think it's very hard to constantly maintain that 10%

I'm honestly in the same conundrum as you. I really want to try Lunaria + Solaria + Triforge but can't because they haven't dropped and I don't have enough pristine relics. But also I'm not sure how a hybrid build would work. So while the idea is tempting, it's something I will be testing in the future, once I already have Red Ring and Crystalline I'd rather be safe first.

#188 Rachmani

Rachmani

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

I have all 3 & karka shell and tried it for a while (fractals 22-28 i think it was).
Overall I didnt like it that much.
It was somewhat nice for P/P, but all in all I wasn't convinced.
Switched back to soldier/Berserker after that and am much happier with it.

That being said I expect triforge/trinity/whatever you want to call it to become really good, once the overall stat gain gets high enough. Personally, I dont think we're there though!

Edited by Rachmani, 13 January 2013 - 07:11 PM.


#189 AlphaMagnum

AlphaMagnum

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

I actually found a spreadsheet that lets you test out different gear combinations (including traits/armor/runes/trinkets/jewels) to see your stats with a given combo.  It even gives your EHP and DPS as a fraction of the max possible, keeping in mind that it calculates DPS as a function of Power and Crit%/CritDamage, not related to your rotation in any way.

Been testing out different combinations, and as you all know, there are some pieces which cost more (stat-wise) to have crit damage on them, Rings/Helms/Leggings being the worst offenders.  So when I go for survivability, I swapped out those pieces to replace Zerker with Soldier and found the results to be more statistically efficient than any other combo.

I could attach the spreadsheet here but idk how lol...

#190 Tanic Cadarn

Tanic Cadarn

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

I am also curious, for those of you running D/D + SB; which sigils are you running on which weapons?

#191 The Shadow

The Shadow

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 811 posts
  • Location:UK
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[EXG]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:47 AM

View PostTanic Cadarn, on 13 January 2013 - 11:44 PM, said:

I am also curious, for those of you running D/D + SB; which sigils are you running on which weapons?

Fire + Force and Strength on SB

View PostAlphaMagnum, on 13 January 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

I actually found a spreadsheet that lets you test out different gear combinations (including traits/armor/runes/trinkets/jewels) to see your stats with a given combo.  It even gives your EHP and DPS as a fraction of the max possible, keeping in mind that it calculates DPS as a function of Power and Crit%/CritDamage, not related to your rotation in any way.

Been testing out different combinations, and as you all know, there are some pieces which cost more (stat-wise) to have crit damage on them, Rings/Helms/Leggings being the worst offenders.  So when I go for survivability, I swapped out those pieces to replace Zerker with Soldier and found the results to be more statistically efficient than any other combo.

I could attach the spreadsheet here but idk how lol...

Could you not just link it? I'd be interested to see :o

View PostRachmani, on 13 January 2013 - 07:07 PM, said:

I have all 3 & karka shell and tried it for a while (fractals 22-28 i think it was).
Overall I didnt like it that much.
It was somewhat nice for P/P, but all in all I wasn't convinced.
Switched back to soldier/Berserker after that and am much happier with it.

That being said I expect triforge/trinity/whatever you want to call it to become really good, once the overall stat gain gets high enough. Personally, I dont think we're there though!

Whenever I press H and click on traits.. I automatically feel; "Oh shi.. I've been playing Thief wrong... Surely we'd more effective as a hybrid!"

It just makes so much sense when you think about it. I'm really looking forward to the future. Very interested to see how hybrid Thief works out, if at all.

RIght now though, I definitely agree, we aren't there yet.

Edited by The Shadow, 14 January 2013 - 03:14 AM.


#192 Tanic Cadarn

Tanic Cadarn

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:33 AM

View PostThe Shadow, on 14 January 2013 - 02:47 AM, said:

Fire + Force and Strength on SB
How come no Bloodlust?

#193 AlphaMagnum

AlphaMagnum

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:03 AM

http://guildwars2.mm...ome-theorycraft

There you go!  Note that there are some errors which I had to correct in my copy:

1) In the trait section Crit Strikes boosts Power rather than Precision as it should.
2) When looking at Armor gems like the Ruby Orb, the stats are incorrect and match the Exquisite version (trinket slots only).

The version you're getting is the original (not corrected), but changing things is simple enough afaik.

Edited by AlphaMagnum, 14 January 2013 - 05:17 AM.


#194 xyzxyz

xyzxyz

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

Shadow, rune-wise you've gone for divinity, since i do not have a lot of gold, what would you suggest as a cheaper alternative? Ruby orbs?

#195 The Shadow

The Shadow

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 811 posts
  • Location:UK
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[EXG]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

View PostTanic Cadarn, on 14 January 2013 - 03:33 AM, said:

How come no Bloodlust?

I just find Strength to be more useful as you don't have to wait for a long time for the build-up. 7 stacks of might is around the same as the +250 from Bloodlust. Also.. Strength has the potential to go above the +250 from Bloodlust.


View PostAlphaMagnum, on 14 January 2013 - 05:03 AM, said:

http://guildwars2.mm...ome-theorycraft

There you go!  Note that there are some errors which I had to correct in my copy:

1) In the trait section Crit Strikes boosts Power rather than Precision as it should.
2) When looking at Armor gems like the Ruby Orb, the stats are incorrect and match the Exquisite version (trinket slots only).

The version you're getting is the original (not corrected), but changing things is simple enough afaik.

Awesome stuff.


View Postxyzxyz, on 14 January 2013 - 12:12 PM, said:

Shadow, rune-wise you've gone for divinity, since i do not have a lot of gold, what would you suggest as a cheaper alternative? Ruby orbs?

Ruby orbs are indeed the best option on a budget.

#196 AlphaMagnum

AlphaMagnum

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Did you get a chance to try it out?  Do the stats correlate with what you see in-game?  (ie, is it accurate save for the corrections I pointed out?)

I was chatting with a Thief in WvW last night and he showed me his gear/stats.  The guy runs around with 1170 Toughness and 1760 Vitality, giving him 2200 Armor and 20k HP.  He was condition specced, though, so his gear was largely Carrion.  Is that a significant compromise on damage?

On a related note, how much HP/Armor do you find acceptable in a WvW environment?  I figure I'll take that and add some more to determine my own needs, since I have much less experience and skill.

Edited by AlphaMagnum, 14 January 2013 - 06:17 PM.


#197 Fatal Flaw

Fatal Flaw

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

Why doesn't anyone use Ruby Orbs on armor instead of the runes? +20 power, +14 prec, +2% Crit Dmg per seems like it would total pretty nice, and they're way cheaper.

#198 AlphaMagnum

AlphaMagnum

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

<p>I've been looking at the math and I've tried all the main contenders afaik:

Scholar, Divinity, Eagle, and Ruby

Some things I noticed:

1) The Armor rune slot is an ideal place to get Crit Damage since it offers a trade off of only 7 stat points for 1% Crit Damage, which is only worse than jewelry slots, which have a trade off of 5 pts/crit damage.
2) Scholar runes are nice in theory but only worth it if you can maintain the boost, which simply isn't feasible most of the time imo.  A little AOE here or there, or trying to PvP, and you'll lose that bonus.  So I exclude those out of principle.
3) Divinity Runes are kinda inefficient.  Combinations like full or mostly Zerker with Divinity Runes are less efficient in terms of EHP and Damage than combinations involving Zerker everywhere except for Rings and some Armor, where Soldier is the best choice.
4) Eagle runes are solid but Power > Precision in terms of straight damage, and while they may provide great use in Dungeons, I can't see the Eagle being nearly as good in PvP where enemies won't necessarily spend much time in that

Edited by AlphaMagnum, 14 January 2013 - 07:03 PM.


#199 Jan Roman

Jan Roman

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 29 posts
  • Location:Czech Republic
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[Holy]
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

Yeah, I am quite interested in this as well as I am finally starting to get a proper Exotic gear and to run my first dungeons. Right now, as I am moving from Masterwork to Exotic items (through crafting mainly), I am around 15k HP, which is not a lot, but right now I am almost running a Glass Cannon. However, I don't see the point in Glass Canons so I am trying to compensate Berserkers gear and its lack of VItality/Toughness by using Runes with Vitality. Right now I am using Superior Runes of the Wurm, which give me a significant crit damage boost (combined with weapon Sigils that stack up Precision, I am at about 53% with 25 stacks) and a considerable amount of healt. I am also thinking about accessories aimed at toughness and vitality as I can backstab for about 6500 to a NPC.

I am quite interested in a PvP and PvE, and since I don't have much money anymore, I will have to compromise a little bit.

#200 The Shadow

The Shadow

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 811 posts
  • Location:UK
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[EXG]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

View PostAlphaMagnum, on 14 January 2013 - 06:17 PM, said:

Did you get a chance to try it out?  Do the stats correlate with what you see in-game?  (ie, is it accurate save for the corrections I pointed out?)

I was chatting with a Thief in WvW last night and he showed me his gear/stats.  The guy runs around with 1170 Toughness and 1760 Vitality, giving him 2200 Armor and 20k HP.  He was condition specced, though, so his gear was largely Carrion.  Is that a significant compromise on damage?

On a related note, how much HP/Armor do you find acceptable in a WvW environment?  I figure I'll take that and add some more to determine my own needs, since I have much less experience and skill.

I haven't had a chance to look at it properly, probably wont get to today, have to learn songs for tomorrow :C.

In WvW it depends largely on the situation. I have 3 armor combinations for Crit builds. Jewelry always stays Berzerker.

Combo one: Full Soldier with Runes of Dolyak. This set is for when I'm commanding. My damage output doesn't really matter and survival is key. This is by no means optimal. It's just for not dying in zerg on zerg. I mean I could even throw in Soldier jewelry (don't feel the need to and I don't have them, but I could do in the future lol).

Combo two: Berzerker and Soldier mix with Divinity. This is what I use in zergs when I'm not commanding. You end up with a fair amount of Crit Chance, Crit Damage and should generally have around 16-17k HP and 2200-2300 Armor (this will vary based on build).

Combo three: Full Berzerker with Divinity for solo roaming, sniping Dolyaks, flipping camps solo, engaging in 1v1-1v3 etc etc..

I don't use condition builds much in zergs because they're just not very good in this context, they're better geared towards roaming and fighting multiple foes with great ease. In organized zergs there is simply too much AoE condition removal.. so condition damage becomes largely useless unless you're a Necro and can re-apply and spread easily (not to mention boon removal/ conversion).

So while you may gain 3-4k or so HP by going Carrion you do certainly lose out on a lot of DPS.

As for how much armor/ toughness is acceptable.. It's really down to preference.. and believe it or not.. It'll depend on which zerg you are fighting. For instance yesterday.. We were being 2v1d by Vizunah and SFR. When fighting Vizunah I'd opt for full Berzerker. For SFR I'd throw in some Soldier. If I was to go against a specific guild like RG.. I'd probably wear full Soldier with Dolyak runes lmao. I tend to try and stay away from what may seem mathematically optimal, because in practice it's more about "what do I need to survive this fight and do the most DPS I can within reason?". I think it'd be wise to have full sets of Soldiers and Berzerker. Switch in and out as you see fit. Obviously this will require getting to know your enemies. I honestly think that'll make more of an impact than gear.

In WvW there is also an argument to be made for full separate sets Valkyrie and Knight with runes of the Eagle to make up for lost precision. In some situations Vitality is simply worth more than Toughness and vice versa . I don't think there is a single "right" way to gear up. I personally prefer Soldier to Knight/ Valkyrie.. but that's a matter of convenience. I don't really wanna run around with 5 armor sets.

#201 AlphaMagnum

AlphaMagnum

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

Do you find pure Zerker to provide enough survivability in dungeons as well?

#202 The Shadow

The Shadow

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 811 posts
  • Location:UK
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[EXG]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

View PostAlphaMagnum, on 14 January 2013 - 07:44 PM, said:

Do you find pure Zerker to provide enough survivability in dungeons as well?

I'd say so. I mean I still die/ get downed occasionally, but who doesn't?

I guess Fractals is the only place in PvE really where you need to consider gearing towards survivability a bit more.

#203 aluthan

aluthan

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

I have a problem and im not sure what to do about it...
i love D/D but in the build you made it seem that its worthless (or under par)
i was running a condition damage build, with trickery but then when i saw your build i switched because i did not know if trickery is good or not as far as damage goes i know that you get more initiative so thats why i used it.

Another thing is i liked to use sword/P because of the AOE auto attack and pistol whip did alot of damage but i dont know if this is good or viable any more.

so i tried out d/p and it was ok but it seemed like this wouldnt be good in pve because of the lack of AOE, i know i have the short bow but, the initiative loss is crazy, so im not sure what to do with myself :L  

i like your build and im not degrading it in any way i just want to figure out what to do

(i like condition damage) < mainly because my dung set is CD so if you can help me please do so thanks.    IGN Aluthran

#204 Tanic Cadarn

Tanic Cadarn

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

I've been running a full beserker set (weapons, jewelery, armor) in FotM @ level 26+ for a while; you need to be mindful of how you play, of when to use D/D and when to use SB (most of the time I use SB). SB + the Healing signet for PvE dungeons works very well to help keep you alive. As long as you are paying attention, avoiding damage and bad positioning you can be fine.

#205 EonSpirit

EonSpirit

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

So I've recently remade my thief to 25/0/30/0/15 and have to say it's amazing how much you can do without what I thought to be the premiere thief trees. What's really cool about this setup is that all the carrion gear has perfect synergy as you're only missing vitality (and precision, obviously, but no crits for this build) + it gives you power and condition damage.

What's strange is that this guy also seems to, with all the caltrops and ldb/cluster bomb spam actually do -more- damage to mobs, or rather, kills them faster, at least when not in dungeons with necros or other condition thieves. It's also pretty versatile as you can easily change traits around for a leeching venoms route, cloak and dagger spam, all-out stealth build (master of deception makes all those stealth utilities have really quick cd's) and so forth, and the survivability is excellent as you can cure conditions or even heal AND regen in stealth (the build with all the stealth utilities has practically constant regen).

I suppose the crit build still does a fair bit more dmg when properly geared out, but just wanted to share this build with people who may have slightly laggier reflexes/poorer gear or just want an easier time levelling and probably dungeons too (though you'll be less popular, you'll have a lot more utility and survivability). Didn't put gear here, but agony or mad king sigils seem to be the best along with carrion/flame legion gear, I guess.

As for the weapons, D/D for the main set, P/D as a great survival/single target bleed stacker and the shortbow for AoE kiting and drawing mobs in. Also, it seems that the potent poison trait from DA affects the SB poison combo, so that's a great one to consider as an opener to the fight when dealing with lots of trash mobs.

http://gw2skills.net...jia0m6f4r6MoZLB

Gotta say, in conclusion, it's great how the thief works on so many levels.. this I guess is some sort of a hybrid condition/survival build, , I've also tried a very cheesy precision/shadow arts crit-stab pvp build, there is the great one from the op, there is the complete survival condition build and even a da/acro/trick build can work with all the dodge-based condition cheesing. Love this class :D

Edited by EonSpirit, 15 January 2013 - 04:06 PM.


#206 Rachmani

Rachmani

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

View PostTanic Cadarn, on 14 January 2013 - 10:59 PM, said:

I've been running a full beserker set (weapons, jewelery, armor) in FotM @ level 26+ for a while; you need to be mindful of how you play, of when to use D/D and when to use SB (most of the time I use SB). SB + the Healing signet for PvE dungeons works very well to help keep you alive. As long as you are paying attention, avoiding damage and bad positioning you can be fine.

In addition to what he wrote, and as a rule of thumb:
As soon as you're basically "forced" to go ranged for damage because you'd die in melee, it's time to switch some armor pieces. Melee damage with 3-4 soldier pieces is still superior to our ranged damage. Of course using SB as a blast finisher and so on and so forth is all fine and dandy.
This is mostly a higher lvl fractals thing (starts around 25-30 I'd say), though.

#207 Tanic Cadarn

Tanic Cadarn

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

View PostRachmani, on 15 January 2013 - 11:00 PM, said:



In addition to what he wrote, and as a rule of thumb:
As soon as you're basically "forced" to go ranged for damage because you'd die in melee, it's time to switch some armor pieces. Melee damage with 3-4 soldier pieces is still superior to our ranged damage. Of course using SB as a blast finisher and so on and so forth is all fine and dandy.
This is mostly a higher lvl fractals thing (starts around 25-30 I'd say), though.

What do you find yourself swapping in gear wise 30+ in FotM?

#208 Engel Jorgenson

Engel Jorgenson

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 378 posts
  • Location:France - La Rochelle
  • Guild Tag:[GNS]
  • Server:Vizunah Square

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

Currently FoTM LvL40 i'm using Valkyrie armor set slotted with beryl orbs. My trinkets are all berserker. And I'm running a 0/30/20/20/0 build. Feels comfortable and it deals great damage. I'm sitting at something like 18K HP atm.

Edited by Engel Jorgenson, 16 January 2013 - 01:11 PM.


#209 Rachmani

Rachmani

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

View PostTanic Cadarn, on 16 January 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

What do you find yourself swapping in gear wise 30+ in FotM?

3-6 soldier pieces, depending on group & fractal.
I always play with soldier helm, chest, legs. The rest depends.
I own a full berserker set with ruby orbs, full soldier set with divinity, berserker jewelery, knight amulett &
Earrings. Back is the infused berserker quiver, rings are the infused berserker rings.
That way i have full flexibility in terms of armor.
In general I do asura, swamp & krait with 3 soldier pieces, the rest with 5-6.
Icebrood works fine with less, but here i'm lazy.
Rule of thumb: if the "tank/tanks" are good kiters i melee.
I'm durable enough to take 1-2 hits so i get a warning before i'd go down :).
My usual build is 20/30/0/20/0 as it supports every weaponset except P/D just fine.

[Edit]:
As E.J. indirectly pointed out, what you need is hp - 17k+ I'd say with some toughness (doesn't really matter how you get it). You could also focus on toughness at the cost of damage, but I didn't like it. Our defense comes from not getting hit, instead of soaking damage.
0/30/20/20/0 is a good build too, I use it for S/D, although it does lack weakness on poison for SB, which is a big minus in my experience. Still, for S/D it was the best suited build - S/D is in general a pretty strong weapon set for higher lvl fractals & probably the best for fighting dredge.

Edited by Rachmani, 16 January 2013 - 02:01 PM.


#210 Engel Jorgenson

Engel Jorgenson

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 378 posts
  • Location:France - La Rochelle
  • Guild Tag:[GNS]
  • Server:Vizunah Square

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

View PostRachmani, on 16 January 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

3-6 soldier pieces, depending on group & fractal.
I always play with soldier helm, chest, legs. The rest depends.
I own a full berserker set with ruby orbs, full soldier set with divinity, berserker jewelery, knight amulett &
Earrings. Back is the infused berserker quiver, rings are the infused berserker rings.
That way i have full flexibility in terms of armor.
In general I do asura, swamp & krait with 3 soldier pieces, the rest with 5-6.
Icebrood works fine with less, but here i'm lazy.
Rule of thumb: if the "tank/tanks" are good kiters i melee.
I'm durable enough to take 1-2 hits so i get a warning before i'd go down :).
My usual build is 20/30/0/20/0 as it supports every weaponset except P/D just fine.

[Edit]:
As E.J. indirectly pointed out, what you need is hp - 17k+ I'd say with some toughness (doesn't really matter how you get it). You could also focus on toughness at the cost of damage, but I didn't like it. Our defense comes from not getting hit, instead of soaking damage.
0/30/20/20/0 is a good build too, I use it for S/D, although it does lack weakness on poison for SB, which is a big minus in my experience. Still, for S/D it was the best suited build - S/D is in general a pretty strong weapon set for higher lvl fractals & probably the best for fighting dredge.

S/D is good set as Rachmani pointed out but I use D/D Backstab fest. I also got my shortbow for AOE weakness and poison. Having a lot of Toughness is not a good choice because you would lose too much straight damage but I got 1172 Toughness and feels like it's just the nice spot for me.
I manage conditions with Shadow Embrace and sometimes take Fleet of Foot (Swamp fractal traps i'm lookin' at you...), Shadowstep utility is like mandatory anyways.
My quiver is ascended and is Power/Toughness/Crit Damage, got 2 ascended berserker rings.
Sigils: Air and Strenght on daggers / Bloodlust on shortbow.
I find myself using Smoke Screen A LOT, it's a life saver for dredge bombs or harpies.
Dagger Storm reflects lightning balls from harpies too.
I don't want to point my build as a killer one but it's like this i feel the most comfortable. So, if some ideas can help anybody it's cool.

http://intothemists....-58;2INk0;9;1Fj


Stats unbuffed:

-Power: 2048
-Precision: 1669
-Toughness: 1172
-Vitality: 1507

40% crit. and 108% crit damage.

Edited by Engel Jorgenson, 16 January 2013 - 03:13 PM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users