• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hazelnutspread

hazelnutspread

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:08 PM

Hey everyone, I am trying fire guardian for pve and I love it so far! here is the build i made

http://gw2skills.net...GEUgVPi39s3VBKC

I was wondering what you thought of it, and also if I should take purging flames instead of one of the other skills? "save yourselves" seems like such a good skill

also I was wondering would a guardian build that revolves around summoning all of the spirit weapons be better for damage then a fire build?

Thanks for any help !

#2 Larsen

Larsen

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:56 PM

This is what I prefer when I need to go DPS mode for farming or whatever. The torch skills are a mazing and the sword+torch weaponset has such short cooldowns that I never really need to switch, so I just keep staff on the swap for swiftness and the occasional emergency wall or heal. I also have Superior Sigil of Earth on the sword which, when combined with the very high crit chance, combines well with condition damage and ensures that there's always at least some condition on the target in order to benefit from Radiant Power. The greatsword does nothing for your condition damage and offers most of the same utilities as sword+torch.

Monk's Focus is a much better self-healing tool than any of the other traits if you can fit a couple of meditation skills into your bar. It goes well with this build because Judge's Intervention provides AoE burning while Smite Condition has some AoE damage (and condition removal, of course) plus a short enough cooldown that you can just use it for the heal when you like. The tratline stat bonuses are also perfect, getting the full range of precision, critdmg, condmg and toughness to complement all aspects of the build. The decent crit chance makes it worthwhile to use two sigils with an on-crit proc -- I prefer Earth and Fire, though I might use the stacking precision one in place of the latter since I'm not doing sPvP with this build. For runes I use 4x Flame Legion and 2x Balthazar.

The build will have kind of low hit points but excellent toughness which, together with the solid self-healing, makes you sufficiently survivable as long as you aren't trying to be some kind of tank. I don't really bring this build to sPvP, if I did, I'd use Soldier amulet with Rabid jewel. Those are more or less the stats I go for on my gear -- generally the goal is 1800ish toughness and power, 16k hit points, ~25% crit chance (which becomes 40% due to Right Handed Strength), and like 600 condition damage or something like that. I haven't got all the gear quite yet, but I think that's what it'll land on. Critdmg should end up somewhere around 40% or so, I'm not cmpletely sure.

#3 hazelnutspread

hazelnutspread

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:32 PM

Thank you for the reply!
Your build sounds like it would work very well, I'll have to give it a try, I really like the survivability of it

currently I start off the fight by using Binding blade to stick the blades into as many mobs as I can then I cast Purging flames on the ground and pull them in with the second half of binding blade, then I use Symbol of wrath and whirling wrath, followed by judges intervention, after then I normally pop virtue of justice and go at em, I save the scepter. torch for when I need to kite enemies since scepter has the Chains of light ability, this has been working for me really well so far as long as I have enough toughness, But I am only lvl 41

How do you feel about spirit weapon builds? and do you think that the cond dmg upgrade that comes with signet of wrath is worth taking it over other skills?

#4 Larsen

Larsen

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:45 PM

I think spirit weapons are crap and far too gimmicky to base a build around. I used them a little in the earlier levels to take down veteran mobs, but as soon as you're able to formulate something resembling a real build (which you can from level 40, really) you're better off doing that. Spirit weapons aren't particularly strong, the traits are really spread out and make you put points in weird traitlines, and they take up all your utility slots. More importantly, they don't have 100% uptime so the build will be really lopsided. For leveling and farming, you want something with very low cooldowns and a more even performance level so you don't annihilate one mob and then have nothing to attack the next one with. That's why I really like my build for leveling, and have been using it since like 45. None of the main bar skills have a cooldown of more than 15 seconds, and unlike the other weapons, every single sword/torch skill is powerful. It also doesn't rely on annoying ground symbols that mobs won't stay in.

At your level, build like this -- the core traits at this level are -15% cooldown on torch skills, +10% damage to burning foes, and VoJ cooldown reset when you kill a foe. This forms the base of the build. Signet of Judgment's passive is nice while leveling because a lot of content is retardedly overtuned and will two-shot you if you don't keep your gear completely updated every few levels, which is a waste of money. The elite skill kinda doesn't matter - I actually took the bear one for Norn because it let me tank some veteran mobs so I could solo skill points better. I almost never used my elite anyway. The tome ones aren't worth using for solo leveling/farming, and the other baseline one is crap.

Start a fight by engaging with #2 (which blinds) and then hit F1 for another blind after the mob has missed its first attack. Then do #3 and #4 simultaneously (#4 works like virtues in that it has no animation and can be used while casting something else) and finish the kill with auto-attack. The mob should be on fire the entire time until it's dead. If it's an AoE fight, slap down Purging Flames and use #5 for sweet firebreathing action. You'll quickly figure out the best way to circle-strafe around the group of mobs in order to hit them all with it.  Remember that both #3 and #5 actually have some range and can be used from behind Line of Warding (staff #5) if you're in trouble.

Edited by Larsen, 16 September 2012 - 11:11 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: guardian, fire, build, skills, help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users