17 replies to this topic

#1 Clonemancer

Clonemancer

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:11 AM

Hi fellow Guardians,

So I've heard that the dungeons in this game are quite challenging and seeing as AC is the first dungeon at lvl 30, it would be the most important one to get help with for me. Thus I am kindly asking for any help you may offer for my Guardian mainly because I would probably end up running it with some random people and I might need to pick up their slack (let's hope not).

Please share with the community some good support builds for this specific dungeon and this specific level (as all I seem to find are lvl 80 builds), in order to help out starting Guardians interested in bringing the best they can offer to the team to ensure the highest possibility for success :)

#2 jpg1

jpg1

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 420 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[LOA]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:27 AM

The first time I tried AC was at level 65. I was running with 20 Valor, 20 Honor, and 15 Virtues. Basically you just cycle through all the possible boons you can dish out to your teammates. You can run with either a hammer or mace & focus which are the defensive sets in melee. Don't forget to bring a Scepter as well, since you will need range despite our option being very lacking.

This build eventually becomes a 30 Valor, 20 Honor, 20 Virtues at Level 80, which will improve your survivability. I won't recommend doing the dungeons at the level they are set, as I would imagine, it will be very very difficult. One can certainly try. I ran the dungeon again at 80 and it was surprisingly more difficult since the team had lower level characters. (Three 80 characters, one at 58, and another at 40) It was hard since I was the only full melee character in the lot. The warrior being only level 58, it isn't spec'd at max yet.

So more than your own level, it's a composition of the team that is really crucial. Keep that in mind at all times. I suggest skipping dungeon content first. There will be plenty of time for that as getting to level 80 is actually a breeze.

#3 Dvonn

Dvonn

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:37 AM

Try it.

What's the worst that can happen? Losing some silvers because of broken armor?

Keep in mind not to be all ofensive but not all defensive and help your companions :)

#4 jpg1

jpg1

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:05 AM

View PostDvonn, on 18 September 2012 - 06:37 AM, said:

Try it.

What's the worst that can happen? Losing some silvers because of broken armor?

Keep in mind not to be all ofensive but not all defensive and help your companions :)

Yeah well making money is quite easy - but you want to save that up for other things, right?

And if you're worried that it wouldn't be as challenging if you go there at level 80, believe me it still is. The scaling is really a wonder.

But yeah there's no shame in trying.

Edited by jpg1, 18 September 2012 - 07:08 AM.

#5 Desert Rose

Desert Rose

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:45 AM

During one, two boss fights in comes in handy to have a ranged weapon so bring a Scepter+Focus; also, if you're finding yourself in a team that want to use combos bring a Hammer to have a Blast finisher every 5 seconds.

#6 Morpurgo

Morpurgo

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:11 AM

And what about gear, is it necessary to craft Rejuvenating (healing, power) weapon + armor with that build if you're 35 and balance your toughness with Lapis (toughness, vitality) jewelry ?

#7 jpg1

jpg1

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:14 AM

View PostDesert Rose, on 18 September 2012 - 07:45 AM, said:

During one, two boss fights in comes in handy to have a ranged weapon so bring a Scepter+Focus; also, if you're finding yourself in a team that want to use combos bring a Hammer to have a Blast finisher every 5 seconds.

The range is for Nente (Although, you can actually climb up to him) and the Lovers because of the annoying fields the drop. But instead of focus I opted for a Shield instead, the dome is pretty handy and dishing out protection to a lot of people was pretty nice. And yeah hammer seems a standard, if you not going to bunker with Mace & Focus.

#8 jpg1

jpg1

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:20 AM

View PostMorpurgo, on 18 September 2012 - 08:11 AM, said:

And what about gear, is it necessary to craft Rejuvenating (healing, power) weapon + armor with that build if you're 35 and balance your toughness with Lapis (toughness, vitality) jewelry ?

It's hard to say - since like I said earlier, I started pretty late in AC. But if you're really gunning to go in early I'd say pump out all the Toughness and Vitality. At this point I shouldn't be too worried about power. While you can contribute to the lot by just using your attack skills, you're priority is really maintaining those boons and dishing out some timely heals.

At 35 you have like 25 Traits. Most probably those will fill out Honor at 10, Maybe Toughness at 10, and Virtues at 5. (Or 10 in Virtues as there isn't really much in Valor at 10) Hands down to those who attempted at 35, you don't even have Master Traits yet. :eek:

#9 Clonemancer

Clonemancer

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:09 AM

Hehe, well I want to get at least story mode done at lvl 30, it should be possible since they let you try at that level and I like a challange. I will probably go as defensive as possible since most people would be running a DPS leveling build. It probably won't go down to well with randoms though, if it fails too hard I can always whine and pester my lvl 80 guildies until they do it with me :D

Oh and thanks for the ranged tip, I am sure that will come in handy!

#10 Clegmir

Clegmir

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 100 posts
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:20 PM

View Postjpg1, on 18 September 2012 - 08:14 AM, said:

The range is for Nente (Although, you can actually climb up to him) and the Lovers because of the annoying fields the drop. But instead of focus I opted for a Shield instead, the dome is pretty handy and dishing out protection to a lot of people was pretty nice. And yeah hammer seems a standard, if you not going to bunker with Mace & Focus.

I actually used boulders to knock Vassar into a corner and kept him away from Ralena for most of the fight while the rest of the group burned her down. I was wearing full Knight's (4/4 Major Earth, 2/4 Major Dolyak; thinking about replacing the Dolyak with Melandru) with a shout build (http://gw2skills.net...7I2xajbHpNrPGNA). As long as they're not near one another, they're not too bad. Be sure to kill the illusions that get spawned, though. :)

(And I ran it first at 70-something, then again at 80 for some friends - that's when I realized I could use boulders, hehe.)

Edited by Clegmir, 18 September 2012 - 01:24 PM.

#11 jpg1

jpg1

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:41 AM

View PostClegmir, on 18 September 2012 - 01:20 PM, said:

I actually used boulders to knock Vassar into a corner and kept him away from Ralena for most of the fight while the rest of the group burned her down. I was wearing full Knight's (4/4 Major Earth, 2/4 Major Dolyak; thinking about replacing the Dolyak with Melandru) with a shout build (http://gw2skills.net...7I2xajbHpNrPGNA). As long as they're not near one another, they're not too bad. Be sure to kill the illusions that get spawned, though. :)

(And I ran it first at 70-something, then again at 80 for some friends - that's when I realized I could use boulders, hehe.)

You rock. I don't know if I will have to run that story again but I will keep that in mind. Thanks,

#12 Adaminus

Adaminus

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:46 AM

Probably a bit late to the party, seems you have already done it, but for the benefit of anyone else who reads this for some informations.. I am currently level 46, done ascalon at 30 and the latest one at 40 (required level) in story mode. Without sounding like a "pro" because im not, im probably average. BUT. I found that generally scepter and shield/focus works remarkably well, you can hide out back, do some solid damage due to Smite, mostly the enemies are static, and if not constantly rooted due to allies abilities, you can take a staff along too and spam might buffs and such to assist your team. (i did this with my 10 points in zeal and 10 in honor for my GS) didnt need to change and felt like things went very well, in total i died maybe 4 times. (but my wife then revived me before i "properly" died)

For the lovers boss, i was keeping the mesmer man away from the group while they burned down the lady lover, with the LoS and aegis, scepter root it was remarkably easy.

Archer boss is also very simple with the scepter tactic, keep Smite on his platform (i hope wrath is on the area of effect uppercut spell xD) if he comes down onto the "arch" surrounding his platform, run up to his platform and continue to root and nuke him from there. Happy days.

for the necromancer, just take the skill that converts negetive effects into boons and it will go suprisingly well, remember to roll and such and keep -33% damage on your party when you can with your shield buff.

For the king, well thats quite nice.. he will pull you in but is largely immobile, if he pulls you roll away immediately and continue nuking him from distance wrath and staff buffing was effective here also..

Overall i was happy with the scepter performance, i know i can do an absolute truckload of damage (Greatsword/Symbol build) if i went into melee, but accosting myself of pure damage pleasure and instead buffing and playing defensive with scepter (while still doing respectable damage due to the nature of the enemy mobs (IE slow moving or immobile) Smite works very well and takes advantage of that.

TL:DR Scepter and Shield/Focus you dont need to change your build at least for the first 2 story modes =)

#13 jpg1

jpg1

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:01 AM

I don't want to sound like a pro, sincerely, but "hide out back" and Guardian don't seem to fit in the same sentence with me.

Edited by jpg1, 19 September 2012 - 07:04 AM.

#14 Adaminus

Adaminus

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:09 AM

I tried the greatsword and was going bursty early on, but it backfired too often when the blinds blocks and stamina ran out, im extremely fond of the scepter and i always have it on me, soloing group events over about 20 minutes when there is no one around with the scepter and kiting in circles works really well.

And yeah i get what you mean, im very happy when im using my sword and shield or greatsword, i just love the scepter! (I used to be a ret paladin since TBC in WoW having no ranged option for the class altogether was meh, maybe thats where my love for it stems from)

#15 jpg1

jpg1

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:38 AM

View PostAdaminus, on 19 September 2012 - 07:09 AM, said:

I tried the greatsword and was going bursty early on, but it backfired too often when the blinds blocks and stamina ran out, im extremely fond of the scepter and i always have it on me, soloing group events over about 20 minutes when there is no one around with the scepter and kiting in circles works really well.

And yeah i get what you mean, im very happy when im using my sword and shield or greatsword, i just love the scepter! (I used to be a ret paladin since TBC in WoW having no ranged option for the class altogether was meh, maybe thats where my love for it stems from)

Don't get me wrong, it saved me from a lot of awful face drops. But really a dungeon run for a guardian is best experienced in the vanguard. Granted you will get dropped once or twice but it's part of the beauty of pulling it off eventually. But praises to you nonetheless for having completed the dungeons at an early squishy level.

#16 Adaminus

Adaminus

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:02 AM

View Postjpg1, on 19 September 2012 - 07:38 AM, said:

Don't get me wrong, it saved me from a lot of awful face drops. But really a dungeon run for a guardian is best experienced in the vanguard. Granted you will get dropped once or twice but it's part of the beauty of pulling it off eventually. But praises to you nonetheless for having completed the dungeons at an early squishy level.

I will have to find my kittens and get into that vanguard mindset, i know we are strong has hell when it comes to defense, I think the problem must stem from the fact that when i got that low level gladiator type heavy armor set (With the skirt and midrift) i dyed it all a pretty kitten shade of lilac, i look like a pretty princess.. Maybe i need some manly shades of dark red and black?

And praise is always nice =3

#17 Dvonn

Dvonn

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:19 AM

Reading Adaminus I've realised that Arenanet wasn't wrong when said every one can play her way with every class.

Being a guardian is not always so supportive as some people wants us to believe. The problem is that in lot of groups people are glass cannon and the way you have to counter it is being supportive.

In the other hand, in a balanced group, you can be whatever you like if it's coordinated. So when people understand that being a glass cannon is not the best option in this game, everyone will be able to enjoy the group experiences.

#18 Yllnath

Yllnath

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:22 PM

To the OP, when I was doing AC for the first time on my Guardian, I did it at level 35, because I just really wanted one trait first.
This is my build: http://gw2skills.net...Ef4EhtgqCx7qgCB
The Mace and Shield set is to be able to camp right in the face of your boss and negate damage through blocks. The amount of blocks, protection, etc you get help you get off 2 or so healing strikes with your mace. When everything 'defensive' is on CD, switch to Sword and Focus and spam the 2, 4 and F1 skill for a chain blindness and burning. Every time you block, you burn the enemy (which is a big part of your damage, so if you can, get condition damage on your gear. Now burn doesn't stack, but you'll be happy anyway to get as much burning on the boss (duration) as possible, since you'll have to kite in AC regardless of such a 'tanky' set-up. (Full out tanking will get you killed) So just dodging back at times, regroup with your ranged attackers, throwing up a wall of reflection and taking a deep breath and let CDs come up is necessary for your survival anyway. It's good then, that you're still doing something because of the stacked burns on the boss.

With this build, I managed to only die to the twins, and that's only because it's the first dungeon and people are not really aware that you need to seperate them. So keep in mind that you'll have to be sacrificial and try to lure away the boss that your team is not attacking. I actually managed to kite/Aegis-tank/blind one of the two bosses almost long enough for my other 4 team mates to finish the other boss off.

Anyway, it's a good build, and really works well at tanking, but it's not a forgiving build. You can die fast since except for the number 3 skill of your sword, you're really not doing anything from range. So you'll constantly be in the melee range of everything, drawing fire. Mistiming a F3, Mace3 or Focus5 will kill you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dungeon, ascalonian catacombs, guardian, build

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users