xyrm

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • Guild Tag:[STFD]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:08 PM

http://gw2skills.net...ak1swYgxBjHGTKA

I was messing around with some builds and I tried it out in sPvP a bit and had a blast, and it worked surprising well in PvE in my non-80 experiments.  I was hoping some of you who were more versed in tournament and PvP could give me a few pointers.  The runes and pvp items I've chose WERE intentional, so if you could take a look at my gear as well I'd appreciate it.  The playstyle is heavily focused on burst, shatters, and generally avoiding damage entirely (with smart shatter use, GS 5, and S/S 2 and 4) while placing so much pressure on the enemy they can't afford to go offensive in return.  The high amount and damage of shatters makes for easy PvE clearing when grouping enemies up with phantasms, S/S 2, and then shattering.

Keep in mind, I'm not usually a big fan of doing things the "popular" way when I can avoid it (which obviously in a game like WoW isn't possible, but in this game it seems to be).  As such, I'd prefer if I wasn't pointed to the staff/sword+pistol combo as the "right way" because that doesn't really suit the dodgy/burst playstyle I enjoy on my characters in this game (ranger was longbow/sword+horn and I've had a blast on him at level 80 in full exotics).

Enjoy and please let me know what you think!

Edited by xyrm, 19 September 2012 - 06:12 PM.

#2 lay

lay

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:19 PM

Mesmers are fun because we have so many viable builds. Your build is fine, i also tend to run gs/ss for both pve and pvp, depending on my mood (i switch mesmer specs a lot...) I do run the same jewelry.. I love that combo, and 24k health is fun. Havent tried those runes, for mindless spvp i tend to use runes of lyssa. They seem to be a solid choice though, i might try them out today.

#3 Mira Mirror

Mira Mirror

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:42 AM

Interesting build, but I would personally drop five from domination as wastrel's punishment is not that great and put five points into Illusions to pick up illusionary persona, if you like to play with shatters.

#4 xyrm

xyrm

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:23 AM

View PostMira Mirror, on 20 September 2012 - 12:42 AM, said:

Interesting build, but I would personally drop five from domination as wastrel's punishment is not that great and put five points into Illusions to pick up illusionary persona, if you like to play with shatters.

Thanks!  I'll try that.  Haven't had much chance to min/max as it were, but I'm experimenting moving points around.  I'll try this out for sure.

#5 leodon

leodon

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:52 AM

I am not exactly sure but I believe sigils with procs share an internal cooldown (I've heard 10 seconds?) and if this is true, I'd recommend switching out one of your sword sigils. (Bloodlust may be a good alternative choice.)

Personally, I'm not a fan of Phantasmal Disenchanter since illusions tend to get destroyed quickly. Null Field is my personal choice but I've heard good things about Arcane Thievery as well.

Also, the last time I checked, there was a bug with Signet of Illusions where there was a delay before the illusions got the hp buff after being summoned. (You can try checking by clicking on your illusion and confirming when the signet buff appears.) Not saying the trait is not worth picking up, but rather just so that you know.

#6 xyrm

xyrm

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:55 AM

View Postleodon, on 20 September 2012 - 01:52 AM, said:

I am not exactly sure but I believe sigils with procs share an internal cooldown (I've heard 10 seconds?) and if this is true, I'd recommend switching out one of your sword sigils. (Bloodlust may be a good alternative choice.)

Personally, I'm not a fan of Phantasmal Disenchanter since illusions tend to get destroyed quickly. Null Field is my personal choice but I've heard good things about Arcane Thievery as well.

Also, the last time I checked, there was a bug with Signet of Illusions where there was a delay before the illusions got the hp buff after being summoned. (You can try checking by clicking on your illusion and confirming when the signet buff appears.) Not saying the trait is not worth picking up, but rather just so that you know.

To your first point the sigil says 2 second cooldown on it in-game.  Are you SURE?  I haven't actually had a chance to test it out.

To the second, I chose the disenchanter intentionally, aware of null field, for a few reasons.  First, the disenchanter does clear debuffs as soon as it spawns and does it for everyone nearby, without requiring them to be inside a field.  Second, as this is a shatter heavy build (using all of the shatters, as they each have a use in pvp) have a fairly short cooldown to summon a phantasm is a nice to have.  Thanks for the advice though, I may give null field another go.

And for your third point, I was aware.  Again, since I'm shattering these fairly quickly and generating new ones constantly with massively reduced cooldowns and dodges, I'm not TOO concerned about this.  I actually have it more for the shatter cooldown reset (especially for Diversion or Distortion) than the illusion's HP.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mesmer, illusion, shatter, sword, greatsword

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users