• Curse Sites
Help
* * * - - 3 votes

[build] Confusion Bomber (tpvp, condition/shatter)

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 grimmson

grimmson

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:21 PM

anyone tried this?

wvw version
optional illusions VI <-> V, both good choices
chaos V <-> III
http://en.gw2skills....TumkNtWYsw j5HA

tpvp version
optional dueling V <-> IV
illusions VI <-> V
http://en.gw2skills....TumkNtWYsw j5HA

It MELTS people faces while quite beefy with good utilitys (illusionary persona, etc...)

I was tired of the phantasm spamming builds and tried something totally different and it works very well. Burst damage comes from confusion (sustained 1-14+ stacks) applied mainly by shattering (f1,f2 and f3). Sustained damage by bleeds/burns/... applied by staff, clones.
It pops clones like there is no tomorrow and can stealth quite often. I had great success with it in tpvp in almost all situations.
In big group fights all the aoe shatters deal good condition damage while staff brings some more aoe and support.
Taking a node from 1 or even 2 enemies is very possible with that beefy setup while they destroy themselves.
Defing a node is possible too.
Npc killing just fine, but slower than other builds.

wvw update:
It is very effective in WvW, too. get rabid gear (rares are awesome, exotics are insane), eat a pizza, activate that tuning crystal and watch the enemy raping themselves with 4.5k confusion ticks.
you get way better damage than shown in that build calculator. for example i'm sitting on ~2k condition damage after reaching 25 sigil stack. furthermore more armor and critchance.
when combined with a good stack of might you can get 2500 cond damage quite easily meaning ~160 bleeding ticks and 7k confusion ticks.
I'm really enjoing that build a lot at the moment. You get good damage while very hard to take down with 2800 armor and all the mesmer tricks.

edit 04.18.13:
everybody is runnning confusion/condition in wvw it seems so -40% condition food is very nice to have.
furthermore you need one utility to deal with conditions....... this build is still strong with the right food but not as op as before.

PVE/WVW Gear: all exotics available in TP
Armor: Khilbron set (Helm, Legs, Shoulders, Gloves can also be obtained from karma vendors in Orr)
Trinkets: Ascended backpack and rings, exotics: colossus fang, tortured root, plague
Weapons: Staff: Bramblethorne, Scepter: Mystic Wand, Torch: Firelighter

If you have not tried a condition/shatter build, test it! I t has a deeper learning curve as phantasm spamming but with high reward.

anyone using this build or got a video to share?

a gameplay video with a very similar build in wvw:
from Kyris

from osif:

edit.: confusion ticks vary from (pre shattered strentgh buff)
~650-~2600! (spvp)
~700-~5500 (wvw)

Edited by grimmson, 17 April 2013 - 10:47 PM.

#2 chochi12

chochi12

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:27 AM

May be you can consider changing your second trait in "Illusions" for Blinding Befwhatever it is name is - when you apply blind your target gets confusion. You have 3 different ways to apply blind so you can benefit more than this conditional shatter recharger.

#3 KarnJazzik

KarnJazzik

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:59 AM

I am actually running something very similar to this as from last night. I have not swapped in the mage as of yet but I plan to do some torch testing as from tonight.

My main issue with this is not being able to control which targets the shatters hit in team fights. This lack of control is really damaging to the build and mesmers in general. When its 1v1 this build is insane and it means people have to choose between eating phantasm damage or taking the condition damage. Very solid indeed, at least with sword / pistol, and only getting 11 stacks or so.

I'll post my thoughts with the mage later this evening.

This is my intended build, though I cant decided between Dueling 25 and Domination 10 (Cripple)

http://gw2skills.net...JbTumkNt Ysw8DA

Edited by KarnJazzik, 20 September 2012 - 08:34 AM.

#4 Westibone

Westibone

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:22 PM

I tried a build like this and I really liked it a lot.  It's great for lol's when you see your confusion ticking for over 2000 on someone.  I really wish the iMage from the torch was better, though.  It's definitely the worst phantasm.  Though here, you are really just shattering your phantasms anyway, so I guess it's not a huge deal.  Sometimes I sub in the trait for an additional bounce on bouncing attacks.  I love when you are 1v1 against someone and Winds of Chaos is able to tap them twice.

#5 illegalkao

illegalkao

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:47 PM

IMO, this shatter condition build is the only mesmer condition build viable, cuz its the only build that capable applying multiple stacks of condition on multiple targets, our single target condition builds (GS bleeding or pistol bleeding) are just lacking since you'll perform better using direct damage builds or get out shined by other classes' multiple target condition builds easily. (venom  bleeding  thief, conditionmancer, and most engineer builds)

#6 grimmson

grimmson

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:25 PM

View Postchochi12, on 20 September 2012 - 06:27 AM, said:

May be you can consider changing your second trait in "Illusions" for Blinding Befwhatever it is name is - when you apply blind your target gets confusion. You have 3 different ways to apply blind so you can benefit more than this conditional shatter recharger.

the shatter recharger is VERY useful. I foten use distortion in the beginning of a big fight to tank some of the heavy incoming damage and later on it gets recharged by this trait to use it again in a pinch situation.
sometimes if i mess up it recharges cof almost instantly after usage meaning a very high stack of confusion.
and I don't see 3 ways to blind a foe. only torch 4 and i use scepter/torch only in gtfo situations, otherwise 100% staff. I even don't use scepter much with this build, confusing images is just way to slow and the other skills are garbage (iMage is 200% garbage!).
I'll see if another 2nd weapon setup works better, but staff is all you need to destroy everything.

View PostWestibone, on 20 September 2012 - 12:22 PM, said:

I tried a build like this and I really liked it a lot.  It's great for lol's when you see your confusion ticking for over 2000 on someone.  I really wish the iMage from the torch was better, though.  It's definitely the worst phantasm.  Though here, you are really just shattering your phantasms anyway, so I guess it's not a huge deal.  Sometimes I sub in the trait for an additional bounce on bouncing attacks.  I love when you are 1v1 against someone and Winds of Chaos is able to tap them twice.

yeah that +bounce trait is a real killer. I think I'll use it over shatter recharge trait, which is almost only useful when messing up but then very usefull :P

I'm sooo waiting for a torch buff and perhaps scepter buff. this build with a viable iMage and faster confusing images would rock so hard :>

#7 Zkarlet

Zkarlet

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • Guild Tag:[FRI]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:46 PM

Nice build. I would change some minor stuff though.

Traits: Definatley go with Confusing combatants.
VI instead of IX in Illusions. It's great for both dps and to get some Invul (F4) when u go low or to stomp.

Null Field instead of Feedback,

#8 grimmson

grimmson

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:54 PM

View PostZkarlet, on 20 September 2012 - 01:46 PM, said:

Nice build. I would change some minor stuff though.

Traits: Definatley go with Confusing combatants.
VI instead of IX in Illusions. It's great for both dps and to get some Invul (F4) when u go low or to stomp.

Null Field instead of Feedback,

You're talking about Karn's build I guess.
I would like to get confusing combatans but I can't get 5 points together. Duelist X is key for this build as Illusion XI. And chaos X is just too good when using staff to skip it for another confusion source that is not THAT reliable, normaly my clones don't die, they explode :P

but agree, nullfield or some other kind of condition removal (or boon removal ;) ) is really necessary in tpvp.

Edited by grimmson, 20 September 2012 - 01:55 PM.

#9 Jordyloo

Jordyloo

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:35 PM

This was my old build. But i find that cond/tough mesmers are outclassed by burst mesmers (i.e. S+P/Staff, S+S/ staff, s+P/ GS). If played well they have pretty high surivability (blurred frenzy, distortion, etc.) and escapes (blink, decoy, etc). You are going to need a null field to stack ur chaos armor (Chao field + 2 gives chaos armor, Nullfield + 2 also gives chaos armor), or disenchanter if you have high phastasm survivability (so they don't get 2 hit by burst chars). Condition builds for confusion aren't very viable anymore because people would just run if they see 9 stacks of confusion on them or they would have sufficient condition removal to shrug it off. +in the very end you lose on all dmg exchanges.

#10 Mezmerized Since 1982

Mezmerized Since 1982

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:30 PM

I have been running something similar for most of my pvp as a mesmer, even back to Beta's.  Here was my post and explanation on how to stack confusion fast.
http://www.guildwars...ma-to-the-mind/
it is a bit outdated as you now need another 5 points to pick up the clone on dodge but basic principles still hold true.

#11 Herdinstinct

Herdinstinct

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:37 AM

Last night I got killed by a Mesmer in Tpvp that did over 8K damage to me with just confusion. That's even with me having 2 Condi. removals and waiting for some of the confusion to fall off.

I was so pissed.

View Postgrimmson, on 20 September 2012 - 01:25 PM, said:

I'm sooo waiting for a torch buff and perhaps scepter buff. this build with a viable iMage and faster confusing images would rock so hard :>

NO MORE MESMER BUFFS!!! :P

#12 chochi12

chochi12

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:54 AM

View Postgrimmson, on 20 September 2012 - 01:25 PM, said:

the shatter recharger is VERY useful. I foten use distortion in the beginning of a big fight to tank some of the heavy incoming damage and later on it gets recharged by this trait to use it again in a pinch situation.
sometimes if i mess up it recharges cof almost instantly after usage meaning a very high stack of confusion.
and I don't see 3 ways to blind a foe. only torch 4 and i use scepter/torch only in gtfo situations, otherwise 100% staff. I even don't use scepter much with this build, confusing images is just way to slow and the other skills are garbage (iMage is 200% garbage!).
I'll see if another 2nd weapon setup works better, but staff is all you need to destroy everything.

yeah that +bounce trait is a real killer. I think I'll use it over shatter recharge trait, which is almost only useful when messing up but then very usefull :P

You have the torch skill "The Prestige" that applies blind, than you have the chain skill from scepter and chaos armor.

#13 grimmson

grimmson

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:11 AM

after playing this build for ~3 weeks in tpvp it is my favourite!
changed traits a bit to get illusionary defence, illusionary elasticity and confusing cry. it works really well in almost every situation in tpvp. it shines in foefire's mid.
changed also runes to undead and decoy to blink, sigils to +10 condition damage each kill.
very high sustained damage with staffclones and bleeds/burns, very high burst damage with confusion stacks applied with shatters, high survivability, high support and utility (imo).

any ideas how to improve it?

#14 Velicia

Velicia

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 157 posts
  • Guild Tag:[BoD]
  • Server:Seafarer’s Rest

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:40 AM

What do you guys think of:
http://gw2skills.net...JbTumkNt Ysw8DA
Is it viable?

Altered a little more for ranged group fighting to inflict as much confusion on as many people as possible (which Blinding Befuddlement, Dazzling Glamours and Glamour Mastery).

I put 10 points in Domination but wasn't sure if to go for Crippling Dissipation or Rending Shatter, if Vulnerability increases confusion damage I'd go for that, but I'm unsure as to weather it does or not.

This is purely a theory build at the moment, Not sure if Deceptive Evasion would be worth the 20 points in group fighting. You could always grab Malicious Sorcery trait for fore sceptre confusion, Of cource the build is focused on the clones being able to get to the target to shatter so again I'm unsure if this is even viable

#15 Sunshine_N_Rainbows

Sunshine_N_Rainbows

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:27 AM

NO MORE MESMER BUFFS!!!

It wouldn't be a buff, it would be more of a balance. Right now every mes build uses S/P it'd be nice to actually be able to use S/T. I know I really want to use S/T but it just sucks far too much to be useful.

#16 Zozizago

Zozizago

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:18 AM

View Postgrimmson, on 17 October 2012 - 12:11 AM, said:

changed traits a bit to get illusionary defence, illusionary elasticity and confusing cry. it works really well in almost every situation in tpvp. it shines in foefire's mid.

Hi.
For beginning i want to say sorry for my poor english and " i love u Grimmson for your build !" It's just unbelievable !
Just a question. "i don't understand why "illusionary elasticity" is a good ability to take ? Bouncing attaks have one additional bouncing ok but what is the skill who do a bounce plz ?

#17 grimmson

grimmson

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

View PostZozizago, on 19 October 2012 - 08:18 AM, said:

Hi.
... "i don't understand why "illusionary elasticity" is a good ability to take ? Bouncing attaks have one additional bouncing ok but what is the skill who do a bounce plz ?

glad you like it like I do :)
illu elasticity doubles the dps of your staff autoattack. in a 1vs1 the orb from wind of chaos hits the enemy twice with this trait. it helps a lot.

(some people think the trait is intended to work with staff clones but I doubt that. it would be quite op)

Edited by grimmson, 19 October 2012 - 12:25 PM.

#18 Zozizago

Zozizago

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:15 PM

View Postgrimmson, on 19 October 2012 - 12:22 PM, said:

illu elasticity doubles the dps of your staff autoattack. in a 1vs1 the orb from wind of chaos hits the enemy twice with this trait. it helps a lot.

Ha ok ! Thx a lot :)

#19 grimmson

grimmson

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

omg change illu defense with chaos V and it is even more awesome (if you want some more dps)

#20 Khare

Khare

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:58 PM

Hey guys, I thought I'd chip in with what I've been trying as a mesmer for tPvP / Condition damage build lately.

http://gw2skills.net...H2ldkKoalUMbXIA

So basically what this build revolves around is keeping your illusions up. I grabbed Empowered Illusions (15% Illusion damage), Compounding Power (3% damage for each active illusion), and Illusionary Defence (3% less damage for each active illusion) to ensure maximum damage potential and some survivability with keeping your illusions up. With this build, you can shatter and quickly be back at full illusions with deceptive evasions (especially if you run with superior energy runes). Keeping illusions makes you harder to kill and confuses the enemy, and I added decoy to have some extra defence versus targeting plus it breaks stuns same as blink. If you feel you can do with one stun remover, you can swap out one of them for another utility skill.

#21 Sunshine_N_Rainbows

Sunshine_N_Rainbows

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:55 PM

I don't understand empowered illusions for a condition build. Why would you grab that trait? Especially with the extremely poor DPS of the torch phantasm. Does anyone know if the increased damage per illusion also affects condition damage?

#22 grimmson

grimmson

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:52 PM

View PostKhare, on 22 October 2012 - 10:58 PM, said:

I don't get this build. Power/condition don't mix well IMO. You want power? I would change weapons, you want conditions? I would change traits.
But if you're happy with it everything is fine :P

Edited by grimmson, 30 October 2012 - 01:10 PM.

#23 Kyris

Kyris

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GG]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:41 PM

This build is pretty good

#24 Touche

Touche

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

Easily my favorite build but the inability to deal with good condition necros in tpvp I keep going back to my phantasm/shatter builds. Do you find them near impossible to beat with this build? Also as you have a stealth from the torch have you thought of swapping decoy for Signet of Domination for the stun and passive +condition damage? By the way I dont use mirror images so torch+blink offers me some good escape abilities as is.

I don't know it just seems to be missing something for me at times, but at other times it feels like the most complete build ever.

Edited by Touche, 03 November 2012 - 07:30 PM.

#25 grimmson

grimmson

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

good necros are indeed a nemesis. but I use my confusion burst after they transfered the conditions back to me, that deals a good amount of damage or they avoid attacking, both good to me. elites are helpful. asking for support helps too, normally they don't kill me before support arrives. also a good placed/timed nullfield can be the key.
in places with alot of los I hide behind everything and let my staff clones do the work. either by attacking or by getting killed. it takes time, but it is very safe. another option is to change mirror images with arcane thievery.
but it is a very nice and itense fight normally :P

#26 Kyris

Kyris

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GG]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

This is a freakin' monster build. I use it for wvwvw and I almost feel like a god :<

Im only having trouble with good necros and bleed thieves, but luckily there aren't that many 'good' players so it's ok =)

Against the average scrub necro/thief, you can just "burst confusion stack" on them and they will kill themselves in about 2 seconds

#27 grimmson

grimmson

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:51 PM

Would try this build in wvw also, but to get the right gear (cond dmg>prec=tough) is incredibly hard to get if you're not into pve.
I really don't know how to get the gold for the exotics^^ would love to bomb down that mob hitting my gate!
on the other side it lacks some burst to get a fleeing target down.

Whatever, hopefully I'll get those exotics one day :\

#28 DarKaleth

DarKaleth

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

1/ Sorry for my crappy english :)
2/ Thanks for sharing your build.

I play your build for ~30 tn and i like it, its very funny to play.

But i dont rly understand how you can kill decent player with this build, when
we have no sustain and no burst.
There is absolutly no way for me to kill engi/ele/guardian, i can't even take them 2/3 life. They have so much sustain.

Applying burn and bleeding with staff 1 is very long, and confusion never tick for more than 700 for only 2 or 3 time.
The damage output is very low and easy negate if they just stop to attack for 2/3 sec. We have no stun/daze to break targets heal etc..

Its funny for me because we have so many escape but can't really kill anyone.

I'm pretty bad player so i'm sure i'm doing something wrong. So can you tell me an exemple of good skill sequence to apply a big stack of conditions.

Thanks for your help.

#29 Invoky

Invoky

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

I use similar build like this too. I think pretty much every condition mesmer use staff coz scepter sux.

#30 grimmson

grimmson

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:13 AM

haha a guardian destroyed himself today with some 8k confusion ticks xD
might stacking trait ftw!
oh well you got to love wvw imbalances^^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users