58 replies to this topic

#31 numark

numark

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:05 AM

Yo!

Do you think you could put up any builds for Support Roamers?  I noticed all the ones above look like they are made for Offensive Roamers.

Awesome guide!

-peace

#32 nadir

nadir

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

What Armor/weapon do you reccomend for the Black Knight build in WvWvW?

I was thinking about a full power/thoughness/vitality armor (from Karma vendors) and a Power/Precision/Toughness GS.
Of course I'll take the berserker's jewelery.

Thanks.

#33 Gorgexpress

Gorgexpress

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:30 AM

Greatsword is all about the burst damage and mobility. I would go full berserker's, and choose my fights VERY carefully. Make sure autotargetting is off so you can use 5 as an escape.

If you want more survivability, try full(or almost full) knight's. May want to use a different weapon and build then though.

#34 Exee

Exee

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

Lot of amazing and deep research on the offensive war in general
I m in love with hammer and theorycraft in general and your teutonic template made me rethink lot of things especially since arm branch up to 30pts wasn't my cup of tea for hammer and i thank you for that

Can you tell me more about the reasons you choose sigil air/fire on the hammer and not the quickness one you seem to like on all your others burst template?

Also what do you think about the 3s swiftness on critic in arms . It was my first reason to spend some points in arms for hammer since i wasn"t using sword and like you couldn't go warrior sprint over others traits in discipline or even choose some doble or triple mixed runes to dope swiftness
I still feel lacking some swiftness duration in my tries of your template with 0 points in tactic(boon duration). Perhaps im just too much addict to  near permaswiftness after 2 monthes but i have always feel it was important for hammer. Got lot of early kills this way just finishing a good player 1s before they get their cd back on heal or esquive

i feel like i have too much no critic on stuns with 52% critic chance and the   "50% critic on stun" . im not so sure it up critic chance to 78% so im on my way to try some 500/1000+ hits and see real numbers by myself cause i feel something not right there.
it can solve my problem and remplace it with +3s swiftness but as a theorycrafter i know i haven't done enough pvp with this trait and i could have been only really unlucky

Edited by Exee, 24 November 2012 - 06:26 PM.

#35 zoppe

zoppe

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

Hey, thank you very much for this guide! just started a warrior and it's been a huge help. I was hoping someone could help me with a couple quick questions.

1. I was wondering if someone could post a quick guide or suggestions for underwater combat and some help with choosing runes and slot skills. Just not sure what to do in sPVP capricorn. I'm trying the team support hammer build currently.

2. Is it possible/viable to pair the hammer with a ranged weapon? I'm having trouble with being kited and was thinking it would be easier to switch out for the rifle or longbow. Is it worth it or should I just focus more on my kiting play?

Thanks guys, you are awesome.

#36 Hankchinaski

Hankchinaski

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

Hi, I am new to warrior and messing around with the spartan build.  I'm finding a lack of mobility and I'm getting kited pretty easily.  Probably doing something wrong but it seems to me the only roots are shield #4 and axe #5?  and #2 sword can be used as a gap closer but typically when I need it I'm using axe and swap is on CD.

I think I do have some trouble doing the shield #4/swap/axe #5 combo quickly because of my keybinds.  maybe that's part of the problem.  Any advice is appreciated!

And Thanks Golradaer for putting this guide together!

#37 Frakko

Frakko

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

Hey Golrader, first off nice post and I have been very fond of the spartan build. I made some guild videos just to show the warrior in pvp and ofc I cut of the parts where I suck so it looks even more cool :)

Anyways keep up the good work, Im gonna make a series of vids showing some of the warrior builds.
Here is the trailer, showing the spartan build:

/Frakko

#38 dopax

dopax

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:55 PM

Greetings Golradaer :
Excellent guide, especially for newbies like me. I wanted to ask you if these builds would be also recommended for sPvP and which , in particular, would be the most useful .
Thanks in advance

#39 Golradaer

Golradaer

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LORD]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

View Postnumark, on 27 October 2012 - 02:05 AM, said:

Yo!

Do you think you could put up any builds for Support Roamers?  I noticed all the ones above look like they are made for Offensive Roamers.

Awesome guide!

-peace

I haven't rigorously tested Support Roamer builds, but I'll add a section with my thoughts on them -- hopefully someone who has played with them more can weigh in with their experience.

View PostExee, on 24 November 2012 - 05:05 PM, said:

Lot of amazing and deep research on the offensive war in general
I m in love with hammer and theorycraft in general and your teutonic template made me rethink lot of things especially since arm branch up to 30pts wasn't my cup of tea for hammer and i thank you for that

Can you tell me more about the reasons you choose sigil air/fire on the hammer and not the quickness one you seem to like on all your others burst template?

Also what do you think about the 3s swiftness on critic in arms . It was my first reason to spend some points in arms for hammer since i wasn"t using sword and like you couldn't go warrior sprint over others traits in discipline or even choose some doble or triple mixed runes to dope swiftness
I still feel lacking some swiftness duration in my tries of your template with 0 points in tactic(boon duration). Perhaps im just too much addict to  near permaswiftness after 2 monthes but i have always feel it was important for hammer. Got lot of early kills this way just finishing a good player 1s before they get their cd back on heal or esquive

i feel like i have too much no critic on stuns with 52% critic chance and the   "50% critic on stun" . im not so sure it up critic chance to 78% so im on my way to try some 500/1000+ hits and see real numbers by myself cause i feel something not right there.
it can solve my problem and remplace it with +3s swiftness but as a theorycrafter i know i haven't done enough pvp with this trait and i could have been only really unlucky

Thank you! My reasoning for air/fire over quickness relates to the duration of a fight with hammer vs. axe/mace: with the former I prioritized burst damage through chain-attacks in which you'd primarily be aiming to get a kill using the sequence of abilities I listed -- fire and air add to this short-term burst while extra quickness doesn't help if you already have Frenzy activated. By contrast, with axe/mace I aimed for high-pressure from constant autoattacks, with the expectation that a fight will last until I can exhaust the opponent's defensive abilities/heals, not necessarily by chain-stunning.

On the topic of Swiftness, I personally found that the mobility provided by Savage Leap was sufficient for gap-closing, and that using stuns before/during a burst sequence kept my enemies in range. This likely relates to your point about being accustomed to lots of Swiftness: I looked at Swiftness mostly as a way to decrease my time traversing the map, not so much for getting kills; however, I could easily see builds that use perma-swiftness for high-pressure. This also reflects differences between tPvP and WvWvW (the latter putting a much heavier emphasis on Swiftness, in my view).

View Postzoppe, on 25 November 2012 - 03:48 PM, said:

Hey, thank you very much for this guide! just started a warrior and it's been a huge help. I was hoping someone could help me with a couple quick questions.

1. I was wondering if someone could post a quick guide or suggestions for underwater combat and some help with choosing runes and slot skills. Just not sure what to do in sPVP capricorn. I'm trying the team support hammer build currently.

2. Is it possible/viable to pair the hammer with a ranged weapon? I'm having trouble with being kited and was thinking it would be easier to switch out for the rifle or longbow. Is it worth it or should I just focus more on my kiting play?

Thanks guys, you are awesome.

I found that staying out of underwater combat is the best option for a Warrior, other professions just seemed to excel more there. Especially with the support hammer build, you're better off fighting at Dock/Beach.

The greatsword can synergize very well with a rifle: using the latter before deciding to engage for a burst or while waiting on cool-downs (the greatsword provides mobility options itself, which the rifle lacks). You could try a similar tactic with the hammer: using a rifle while you're building adrenaline or waiting for Frenzy to refresh. I didn't do this because it makes your kiting problem even worse, decreases your mobility significantly, and makes you far more susceptible to Thief bursts -- sword/shield is a fantastic utility set to pair with the hammer.

View PostHankchinaski, on 25 November 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

Hi, I am new to warrior and messing around with the spartan build.  I'm finding a lack of mobility and I'm getting kited pretty easily.  Probably doing something wrong but it seems to me the only roots are shield #4 and axe #5?  and #2 sword can be used as a gap closer but typically when I need it I'm using axe and swap is on CD.

I think I do have some trouble doing the shield #4/swap/axe #5 combo quickly because of my keybinds.  maybe that's part of the problem.  Any advice is appreciated!

And Thanks Golradaer for putting this guide together!

Key-binds are very important (I personally used A, S, D for movement, meaning no backstep hotkey, F V T G B for weapons, Q W E R for utilities and elite, Z for heal), and so is using your abilities in the right sequence (including swapping sets). When engaging, you should typically have your sword/shield out, use Savage Leap, maybe Hamstring, then Shield Bash, and swap to axe/mace to do damage (activating frenzy and using axe 2, mace 4, and mace 5). You likely just need more practice with this.

View Postdopax, on 16 December 2012 - 06:55 PM, said:

Greetings Golradaer :
Excellent guide, especially for newbies like me. I wanted to ask you if these builds would be also recommended for sPvP and which , in particular, would be the most useful .
Thanks in advance

I would recommend using the basic Spartan build. If sPvP is like it's always been, having high mobility and strong burst damage will allow you to get kills when you spot an opportunity, then escape before you get jumped on by a bunch of opponents.

All experienced warrior players: if you would like to submit a build for inclusion in this guide, I'd be happy to give you credit and link to your stream/videos. This seems to be the only actual warrior guide, so I'd like to keep it updated with current information for new/current players.

Edited by Golradaer, 02 January 2013 - 06:18 AM.

#40 jelz

jelz

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • Profession:Necromancer
  • Guild Tag:[LotD]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

for the greatsword burst build, using a rifle and greatsword seems to be way more effective if the point of the build is just to enter and exit fights (even for duels its great) and i would take off gaining might with the greatsword trait for +50% crit chance because lets be real you dont really need might with all the power you have, and when you use bulls charge with frenzy you now have almost 100% crit chance and then you switch to your rifle because for most people they will be down to 25% health and you gain quickness again from your traits so then you use volley which is like a minor version of hundred blades but from ranged and jump into the adrenaline skill from the rifle to finish them off, perfect for any kind of dueling or whatever you want to accomplish with burst great sword builds. I would also use the increased crit damage and crit chance traits that are found in the adept skills in power and the adept skills in burst damage. I would also put on runes of lyssa because it will save your ass seing as how your signet of rage is only 60 seconds CD, so you gain all boons every 60 seconds...really good. All in all this is a good build but if you apply the tweaks i just mentioned you will probably be beasting it 100x more.

#41 jelz

jelz

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

http://gw2skills.net...UkoIbRuikFtKYQB this is the build i was talking about in my previous post for the greatsword burst build and this is a great pvp warrior support roamer build: http://gw2skills.net...GrNObk2sKYQxsBA this build has great damage will pretty decent healing and it is completely up to you if you want to switch out the superior runes of the dolyak for the superior runes of lyssa they both work great and you can also take off the beserker amulet for a clerics amulet if you feel like you want more healing than you want damage, ive had no trouble as a *ROAMER* with this build, it isn't the 1v1 build you want as a warrior but you can still do well in 1v1s unless you are up against an D/D ele or meditation gaurdian, in that case you must use the beserker amulet for the extra damage to finish them off, and by the way the rifle is amazing, use the adrenaline skill it has when you need to finish your opponent off, or the axe adrenaline skill they're both very strong.

#42 Golradaer

Golradaer

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:43 AM

View Postjelz, on 14 January 2013 - 12:27 AM, said:

for the greatsword burst build, using a rifle and greatsword seems to be way more effective if the point of the build is just to enter and exit fights (even for duels its great) ... All in all this is a good build but if you apply the tweaks i just mentioned you will probably be beasting it 100x more.

View Postjelz, on 14 January 2013 - 12:43 AM, said:

http://gw2skills.net...UkoIbRuikFtKYQB this is the build i was talking about in my previous post for the greatsword burst build and this is a great pvp warrior support roamer build: http://gw2skills.net...GrNObk2sKYQxsBA this build has great damage will pretty decent healing...

Thanks for the builds jelz! I tried a number of rifle builds and had mixed results: I didn't like to rely on the rifle as a primary source of damage due to the ease of hiding behind intervening terrain (e.g., in clocktower or around the outside of graveyard); but as a secondary weapon paired with the greatsword, I agree with your argument about its power (you do give up savage leap on the sword and the two amazing shield skills, so it's really a choice between damage and utility). Your second recommendation really struggles with mobility (no GS or sword), but constructed as a banner healer with a ranged weapon, perhaps swapping to a warhorn for moving between map points is sufficient (i.e., in-combat mobility isn't so important if you have a rifle and are filling more of a support role). Do you have any videos using those builds, jelz?

#43 jelz

jelz

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

I have a mac so I doubt I would be able to record any gameplay, unless you can suggest a program for macs that can record my gameplay, then I would love to show some videos, and I also developed another support build that incorporates a lot more survivability but less damage.

#44 Mitch

Mitch

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

Do you run these builds (successfully) outside of hotjoin and wvw?

#45 Golradaer

Golradaer

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

View PostMitch, on 21 January 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

I haven't played tPvP since October, so I can't speak to their current viability.

#46 Mitch

Mitch

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

View PostGolradaer, on 21 January 2013 - 12:06 PM, said:

I haven't played tPvP since October, so I can't speak to their current viability.

Was asking jelz, should have quoted him I guess.

#47 Hankchinaski

Hankchinaski

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

View PostGolradaer, on 21 January 2013 - 12:06 PM, said:

Hi Golradaer, just wondering why no tPvP?   Are you playing other parts of the game?  A different game?  

Thanks for keeping up with this thread - I have switching between GS and Spartan on my warrior (which I play probably less than necro and thief but I really find it rewarding when things are going well).  I think I want to give the Hammer DPS build a try - I remember I tried it briefly before but had a hard time landing the CC's... I didn't give it enough of a chance though.

#48 Golradaer

Golradaer

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

View PostHankchinaski, on 19 February 2013 - 05:46 PM, said:

Hi Golradaer, just wondering why no tPvP?   Are you playing other parts of the game?  A different game?  

Thanks for keeping up with this thread - I have switching between GS and Spartan on my warrior (which I play probably less than necro and thief but I really find it rewarding when things are going well).  I think I want to give the Hammer DPS build a try - I remember I tried it briefly before but had a hard time landing the CC's... I didn't give it enough of a chance though.

I've actually been designing a board game with MMO-style arena combat between teams. Every time I think about GW2 I realize something I could change/improve about my own game, lol.

The Hammer DPS build is really satisfying to succeed with as its damage output is so unexpectedly large. I would say it's inferior to GS as part of a pure roaming build, but Earthshaker is so much fun to use in large teamfights.

#49 jelz

jelz

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:39 AM

For the purifier build, if you want to be more of a tank with pretty good damage, I go 30 into defense for the extra endure pain, 15 in discipline for the 20% signet recharge and weapon swap (obviously) and 25 in Arms for the extra damage. I usually have a soldiers amulet on but if you want more damage you can go with the knights or berserkers. I also use superior runes of lyssa for the condition removal, and sometimes I use superior runes of vampirism for the mist form which comes in handy A LOT considering already have endure pain at 25% health so when that runs out, boom mist form. This rune has also been fixed so now the mist form last just as long as the mist form for elementalist. I use the same utility skills as your purifier build though and weapons, but I put superior sigil of rage on the sword. I also sometimes use frenzy instead of the signet of fury.

Edited by jelz, 03 March 2013 - 03:44 AM.

#50 jelz

jelz

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:49 AM

View PostMitch, on 21 January 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

yes I do, and I would recommend using either clerics or soldiers gear instead of the berserkers amulet, just so you have more survivability.

Edited by jelz, 03 March 2013 - 03:49 AM.

#51 Lucci Slevin

Lucci Slevin

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

With the nerf to quickness, would you make any changes to the spartan build regarding Frenzy and Last Chance?

Edited by Lucci Slevin, 28 March 2013 - 07:44 PM.

#52 Ninja Battle Lion

Ninja Battle Lion

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:11 PM

Quickness is still the absolute sh*t imho. Thanks for giving us the Spartan build Golradaer, I'm having tons of fun with it!

#53 Valius

Valius

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SWRM]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:51 PM

View PostNinja Battle Lion, on 02 April 2013 - 10:11 PM, said:

Quickness is still the absolute sh*t imho. Thanks for giving us the Spartan build Golradaer, I'm having tons of fun with it!

Just because of the nerf. Ridiculous.

#54 Quack530

Quack530

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

View PostGolradaer, on 20 September 2012 - 06:00 AM, said:

I use Sigil of Rage and Sigil of Force on the axe/mace set, and Sigil of Superior Air and Sigil of Superior Bloodlust on the sword/shield set. The Berserker’s Amulet is best-suited to roaming builds focused on direct damage.

Now that quickness has been nerfed, what would you put on the axe?

#55 Ninja Battle Lion

Ninja Battle Lion

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

I've dropped Arms XII for Disc V and swapped Rage sigil to Hydromancy. Works well enough.

#56 jelz

jelz

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

can you update this thread with new builds?

#57 biscuits

biscuits

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:53 AM

are any of these builds still viable in tournament games? I noticed a few of the traits are missing

#58 Sagramor

Sagramor

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

Take a look at this one maybe.
https://forum-en.gui...New-Build/first

#59 Jernej

Jernej

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:15 PM

Is your spartan build optimal for solo WwW? If yes, what kind of armor/trinkets should I use?

I am looking for something that have strong burst demage and a lot of utility so i can escape when in need.

Edited by Jernej, 16 March 2014 - 05:17 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: warrior, guide, pvp, lord, golradaer, tournament

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users