• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cdkcp

cdkcp

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 3067 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:08 PM

Lately, I've been playing with the idea of mesmer only (or mesmer mainly), single race, everyone-looks-the-same, WvW focused guild. I'm interested in opinions in regards to best race for such endeavour. So far, I think that either asura or charr suit that role best, here are pros of both I came up with:

Asura:
- small - best for hiding in conquered keep or sneaking behind enemy lines
- harder to recognize weapons held, and therefore build
- harder to distinguish between armour classes, especially when you hide the helmet (it is possible to mistake Guardian with Mesmer, then)
- clones have potentially more time to deal some damage

Charr:
- fear inspiring - nothing scares the zerg more than 40 bipedal tigers materialising in it out of nowhere
- obscuring - large clones can draw attention away from smaller allies and obscure enemy's view
- easier to find people - more visibility means more potential recruits

What do you think?

#2 Shatteredz

Shatteredz

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:53 PM

View Postcdkcp, on 20 September 2012 - 06:08 PM, said:

Lately, I've been playing with the idea of mesmer only (or mesmer mainly), single race, everyone-looks-the-same, WvW focused guild. I'm interested in opinions in regards to best race for such endeavour. So far, I think that either asura or charr suit that role best, here are pros of both I came up with:

Asura:
- small - best for hiding in conquered keep or sneaking behind enemy lines
- harder to recognize weapons held, and therefore build
- harder to distinguish between armour classes, especially when you hide the helmet (it is possible to mistake Guardian with Mesmer, then)
- clones have potentially more time to deal some damage

Charr:
- fear inspiring - nothing scares the zerg more than 40 bipedal tigers materialising in it out of nowhere
- obscuring - large clones can draw attention away from smaller allies and obscure enemy's view
- easier to find people - more visibility means more potential recruits

What do you think?

Take whatever looks better in your opinion. The advantage gained from a different race is so small it simply doesnt mather.

#3 KodiakX

KodiakX

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:48 AM

View PostShatteredz, on 23 September 2012 - 10:53 PM, said:

Take whatever looks better in your opinion. The advantage gained from a different race is so small it simply doesnt mather.

Agreed.

The weapon attacks on a Mesmer are extremely distinctive, especially at range which is where you'll end up in WvW.  You'll either be hurling purple orbs (Scepter, Staff) or be channeling giant purple beams of doom.  Seeing the weapon doesn't matter much with such distinctive attacks.

Any race can do this, but you will need to use the stock avatar for that race unless you want to get everyone super coordinated.  The reason is the portrait will give away any differences.

I can see this being effective in a small group (such as a 5-10 man team running to take out Supply Camps) but not on a large scale.  Large scale it doesn't matter what you bring class/clone wise cause there's going to be so much AOE to burn through a clone army.

Furthermore good opponents are already starting to recognize the patterns of Mesmers:

1. Clones don't dodge/roll around or generally move unless they need to in order to hit their target.  This makes any non-melee clones easy to identify compared to their human counterpart (and it's what makes sword so potent in sPvP) who'll likely be running in a pattern that doesn't confirm with the AI.

2. Clones don't use/mimic ability use.  This means if you see 3 targets just wait for one to use a special and you know the real one.

3. You don't drop target unless the target goes invisible, so even if they are a clone factory just don't lose target and it's largely irrelevant.

It's a cute idea, but there's a lot holding it back.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wvw, mesmer, guild

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users