• Curse Sites
Help
* * * * * 2 votes

WvW Article Series: New players, start here!

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 Mr Shrimp

Mr Shrimp

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

WvW is fun.

Anybody have any insights for getting badges?
Once i spent a few hours and got 30 badges, other times I'll get 2 (like the first time I did my 50 kills for monthly achievement). Does magic find, or being the one to finish your kills or anything affect the drop rate?

#62 Relidar

Relidar

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 84 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Crl]
  • Server:Ring of Fire

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:49 AM

View PostMr Shrimp, on 03 October 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

WvW is fun.

Once i spent a few hours and got 30 badges, other times I'll get 2 (like the first time I did my 50 kills for monthly achievement). Does magic find, or being the one to finish your kills or anything affect the drop rate?

My best advice would be to stay away from big zergs and never be solo. Get a small 5-10man with your guild or friends and try to roam. Since you get loot based on how much damage you did to a target, the system combines everyone's contribution into one big pool when you group, which will increase the chance of bags to drop.

#63 rastazi

rastazi

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • Guild Tag:[iRez]
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:21 AM

View PostMr Shrimp, on 03 October 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

Throw down siege in useful spots and go hog wild. The hardest part about manning a ballista is finding a break to pick up all of your loot bags.

#64 Mr Shrimp

Mr Shrimp

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:12 PM

Cool, thanks Relidar and rastazi.

#65 kalendraf

kalendraf

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 492 posts
  • Guild Tag:[CV]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

I've read through this very helpful thread, and I've done some searches to look for additional info, but didn't find quite what I was looking for.  Here are some questions/issues I would like to get more information about:

1) What is the best way to rack up WvW kills quickly?  During my last 2 forays into WvW, I spent over 4 hours and only managed to get credit for 2 kills.  At this rate, obtaining the threshold for the monthly achievement seems nigh impossible given the amount of time I have to play the game.  What classes are best to use for racking up kill count quickly?  What strategies work best for racking up kill count quickly?

2) What tips can you offer about mapping?  For example, some POIs seem very difficult to reach due to how well defended those locations are.  Are there any ways to make it easier to reach the various POIs, Vistas and Skill Challenges on the WvW maps?

3) Is the uphill battle too great for someone on a "WvW-challenged" server like HoD to reach the monthly achievement?  My guild and alliance plan to stick to HoD since our initial reasons for joining this server were not WvW-related.  Way back in the beta, long before HoD showed any hint of WVW dominance, based on various server surveys, our alliance selected HoD since we thought it would be a less populated server allowing a good chance for all the guild members to join it, and still allow for additional recruiting.  After release, we were shocked to discover that it had selected by several strong WvW guilds/alliances. While many of the stronger WvW guilds have now moved off of HoD, our original reasons for choosing this server have not changed.  As a result, we intend to stay, despite the huge disadvantage we now find ourselves in WvW.  However, if I will be permanently handicapped in obtaining WvW kills for the monthly achievement, I am willing to consider a temporary server relocation.  I'm just hoping there is some other way.

Any help would be appreciated.

#66 rastazi

rastazi

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • Guild Tag:[iRez]
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:33 AM

The best way to get kills is to follow a good commander and do what they say. They create action. If you're on a server like HoD, it will probably take several weeks before you are matched up in a proper bracket, though. If you need PoI completion I'd recommend transferring to another server that's wiping things up for a day to get it (but don't stay, nothing worse than bloated WvW servers).

#67 nalenb

nalenb

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:12 AM

When passing by a place your team holds, look for existing siege and touch each one. Just using/un-using it resets the despawn timer. Untouched siege despawns after 30 minutes.

#68 Reisa

Reisa

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:28 AM

View Postkalendraf, on 25 October 2012 - 08:10 PM, said:

3) Is the uphill battle too great for someone on a "WvW-challenged" server like HoD to reach the monthly achievement?  

Not at all.  My server has been consistently outmatched for the past month and a half due to a severe lack of population and I managed to get the monthly achievement in a couple days.

Basically, it's like PvE DE--you need to tag someone but you don't necessarily have to be the one who kills them, so a form of ranged AoE will help greatly.

Just use good scouting and communication.

#69 frostybroc

frostybroc

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • Guild Tag:[KRAK]
  • Server:Ferguson’s Crossing

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:22 PM

Very Nice Guide.

#70 Rubicon

Rubicon

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

Have to add one that really gets my gears going.  In your keeps towers etc after upgrades you get oil pots and cannons and mortars, some need to be built and if destroyed they respawn to be rebuilt, so build them.  If you manage to hold SM or such for a long duration taking supply to build the basic defences is not an issue, just not if it is in a upgrade.  Nothing is worse than trying to defend a site and seeing unbuilt oil pots and cannons, with those 1 person can slow down a zerg, I have myself, to give time with good comms for a large party to crush them from behind.  It takes a zerg about 2 min to fully build the defences of SM it takes 1 person near a hr.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users