There is plenty of choice while building a Guardian (we'll see that later) but also some, well, "requirements to not suck and make your team angry".
So I decided to release a little guide on how to get your Guardian in shape without avoiding terrible mistakes; remember the Guardian is the heart of a team, the eyes are on you, you must perform well and lead your team to success.
To be a respectable Guardian you need to have some required traits.
Creativity starts after you have the mandatory stuff (and this applies to most classes).
The following are pretty much mandatory for any decent PvE Guardian, and also happen to be our best traits.
1) You'll always want at least 10 points in Virtues.
Minor is great, and T1 is needed because you can use it to either reduce CDs on Cons (which you'll use in all dungeons) and 50% longer-lasting spirit weapons (bow of truth AoE heal is huge).
2) 15 points in Radiance for signet CDs and especially Renewed justice (very important for dungeon DPS of your team, gives tons of might combined with Virtues minor) and Justice is Blind.
3) 5 points in Valor to get Aegis @ 50% health. A real wipe/life saver.
4) 10 points in Honor for shout CDs. You'll use shouts a lot in dungeons and solo; while consecrations are situational and don't work against all mobs and bosses, shouts are reliable in any situations.
Note that you also get 1s vigor on crit, this makes you much less likely to die and is very important.
> If you're lacking the above, you're a gimped Guardian.
You can neglect on one of these fundamental pillars only if the outcome is really worth it.
The last 30 points depend on your desired spec, playstyle and personal preference.
- If you use 2handers often, you'll want the 2h mastery in honor.
- If you want further condition removal, you'll want Absolute resolve in Virtues.
- If you are shield user, go deep into defense to get the CD reduction and AHealing.
- If you are a shout lover, go with 30 honor for Pure of Voice (converting is fun, vulnerability becomes... protection!).
- If you want to give a more offensive support or more damage solo, go with 30 honor and pick Empowered.
- If you want to focus on buff upkeep and virtue spamming get 30 virtues, but I can't recommend a T3 traits becuase honestly, they are all too situational / equally meh. I would end up getting Elite Focus, but get whatever you feel should fit the situation better.
- If you want to maximize damage on conditioned foes consider Fiery Wrath (10 zeal)+Radiant Power (25 Radiance).
- If you want to focus on one-handers, go deep into Radiance for RHStrength
- Meditation healing is not good for anything outside PvP; we get much better healing and protection from other specs (for instance, a protection uptime build negates a ton more damage while healing in similar amounts). Also this is completely useless to any team.
I think I covered pretty much every possible efficient build for PvE and hopefully all playstyles.
Do a favor to yourself and your friends: don't be a mediocre Guardian.
Be a successful Guardian.
Edited by Red_Falcon, 24 September 2012 - 04:10 AM.