• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#1 Maker

Maker

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:45 PM

Hi Guys, i am clearly pvp player. But i am thinking about starting playing pve. So i have question is mesmer any good in pve ? I tried him, killed few monsters and i feel that i don´t have damage + he doesn´t have any AoE. Thanks

#2 Lastchime

Lastchime

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:18 PM

Staff and mh sword are our main AoEs and yes somewhat lackluster PvE as condition does very little for the effort it takes to pile it on, stick with bleeds.

Oh yeah GS AoE is basically on par with staff just slightly different mechanic, sword is the best aoe we have tho.

Edited by Lastchime, 25 September 2012 - 04:19 PM.

#3 Sabbathius

Sabbathius

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:45 PM

Honestly, personally I feel that Mesmer is by far the worst PvE class in the game right now. What I will say below is my personal opinion, some may and will disagree. But that's just how I feel.

Some classes are close - like Ele, Engi and Necro, but they don't have to deal with obviously broken game mechanics, which is illusions.

One thing you have to realize is that monsters react to illusions much faster and more accurately than players. Consider iWarden (stationary phantasm dual-wielding axes). In PvP, you summon it, and the player will see it, maybe even take a hit or two, and then move/dodge out of the way. A monster in the world will often turn and 1-shot it BEFORE it does any damage whatsoever. As in, zero damage done, 20 sec CD blown. This is not uncommon at all. And while +20% and +50% HP trait and signet do help, they don't help nearly enough. Sometimes they make a difference between a 1-shot and 2-shot, but usually not, depends on what you are soloing.

Our condition builds, that rely on confusion, also don't work well. PvE mobs tend to use special attacks much more rarely than human players. So all too often your confusion stack will harmlessly fall off, even with +33% duration trait, once again doing zero damage.

Aggro is also incredibly unpredictable. Often mobs 100% ignore your clones and come straight for you. And Mesmer doesn't have enough defenses to live through something like that. Sure we have Blurred Frenzy (Sword #2) that makes us immune to damage for 2 seconds. And we have Distortion (F4, 60 sec cooldown), which gives 1-4 seconds of immunity depending on traits and how many illusions you had up at the time. But beyond that it's all about evasion, Chaos Armor (Staff #4, 40 sec CD, or Staff #5+Staff#2 with 30 sec and 10 sec CDs respectively) and invisibility (Torch #4). Or active blocks (Scepter #2, Sword OH #4), which will not save you since they have medium length cooldowns.

In other words, if you pull 3-5 orrian undead, and they all frenzy on you, it will involve a lot of kiting. If they all decide to ignore your illusions, which can, does and will happen, you will have a hard fight with a LOT of rolling and dodging ahead of you. Meanwhile "real" classes like warrior, guardian, thief, ranger, etc., will rip those mobs to shreds and move on in 1/3rd to 1/5th of the time it'll take you to kill them.

I tried all classes in betas, and most since release. And in PvE, Mesmer is by far the weakest one. It's not even close. There ARE some situations where we absolutely shine, but in general PvE/leveling those are incredibly rare. For the most part, it is a miserable and painful experience.

Ironically, many claim that Mesmers are one of the best PvP classes. Personally I don't think that's true, though we're definitely strong. However, I feel that this strength is directly linked to other people not knowing how to fight us. All too often I see players attacking clones, or using finishers on downed illusions, even though for a player with a know-how will never fall for either one of those. Ever. And fighting players like that is a very uphill battle, unless your build is precisely tailored to counter their type of gameplay, in which case Mesmer is as strong as any other class out there.

#4 DaSwede

DaSwede

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Guild Tag:[ExC]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:18 PM

I partially agree with you. iWarden gets killed WAY too early and is pretty useless... plus it's stationary... also confusion builds for PvE are terrible, the only time confusion is useful is against mobs with "fast attack" and even then it's meh.

I have to say that I don't fully agree with the aggro bit. Having the mobs attack you is the best! Here's my build:
http://gw2skills.net...H59GlCtndSKadpB

Basically, I pull a group, get my clones up and try to get aggro on myself. Dodge, blink, phase retreat (and chaos armor if recharging) to kite mobs around in a circle while clones/phantasm deals damage, adds boons and conditions. Lay down a chaos storm to protect clones during recharge if needed (why people use this for damage is beyond me... it's much better defensively). Shatter when group is tight and/or almost dead. Don't worry about clones dying, that just applies more conditions and cripples the mob(s). Switching to sword/focus can give you a serious advantage for kiting fast mobs after clones are up using temp. curtain & into the void.

This is only after level 40 though, before then, mesmers are pretty terrible compared to other professions.

Edited by DaSwede, 25 September 2012 - 05:20 PM.

#5 I'm Squirrel

I'm Squirrel

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1095 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DPS]

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:24 PM

Definitely feels like the weakest profession in PvE. Played 200 hours on a mesmer, and their damage is horrible compared to other professions. Also, when facing higher level opponents, lvl 80+, they become extremely squishy, especially depending on how fast their clones go down.

It's definitely one of the professions which needs a lot of work. It's a terrible redesign of the GW1 mesmer by ArenaNet.

#6 Lastchime

Lastchime

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:00 PM

Because in GW1 it was sooo great in PvE too (well idk if that changed with nightfall, but ever since the initial energy burn change in prophecies it just stayed sub par).

Nah there is some definite adjustments that need to be made, not sure how they'd go about making confusion actualy useful in PvE, because that's what most of our abilities rely on....people being stupid, if only we had wastrel's worry again. Although after playing around a bit with builds, retaliation seems to work out pretty good with the occaisonal orr aoe pulls.

#7 Aizea

Aizea

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:02 PM

View PostLastchime, on 25 September 2012 - 06:00 PM, said:

Because in GW1 it was sooo great in PvE too (well idk if that changed with nightfall, but ever since the initial energy burn change in prophecies it just stayed sub par).

They were eventually made fairly powerful in PVE..........after a few years.

Really the mesmer has always been a difficult beast to balance while still keeping a unique mesmer flair.

Edited by Aizea, 25 September 2012 - 07:04 PM.

#8 Necrobolt22

Necrobolt22

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:08 PM

I started a Mesmer to fool around a bit beside playing more "serious" with my ranger main and one thing I noticed is that Mesmer is a refreshing and fun experiene to play. Although I've just started I noticed the same problems Sabba has mentioned: Monsters useually do not fall for clones which has to be a adjusted by arenanet really fast. But besides the fact that Mesmer is slow to level/ does muuuuch less damage than other professions, it really can be fun. I often find myself laughing at monsters which really shatter my illusions since there is nothing more fun than really being behind a monster while it's thinking that you're in front - which is exactly how this profession should work.

Edited by Necrobolt22, 25 September 2012 - 07:09 PM.

#9 Sabbathius

Sabbathius

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:48 PM

View PostNecrobolt22, on 25 September 2012 - 07:08 PM, said:

Monsters useually do not fall for clones which has to be a adjusted by arenanet really fast.

See, this alone might fix Mesmers in PvE. Given a choice between Mesmer and 3 clones, the mob should have a 1 in 4 chance to target Mesmer. And if it has 3 clones in its face and Mesmer 20 yards away, it should be 0 chance. Since assuming that it doesn't know which is the Mesmer, it has a 1 in 3 chance that one of the clones in its face is the Mesmer, and 1 in 4 that the one further away is, and that one involves far more travel time.

This could also play nicely into the whole confusion condition problem. Sometimes a mob gets a confustion stack on it, but it has nothign to attack in the time it takes the stack to expire. That is to say, you cannot stop and allow it to hit you, because it hits hard, and you could be being chased by more than 1 mob. And since it zeroed in on you specifically, it'll ignore clones. BUT, if you put confusion on a mob, and shoved a clone in its face to immediately hit (maybe even twice with +HP trait/signet), and it went reliably after the clone and not you, I could see confusion working in PvE.

But that would mean they'll have to tone down our clone generating potential, because this would trivialize a lot of bosses - one or two Mesmers could just chain-feed the boss clones.

Either way, the whole class needs a ton more work.

#10 Lastchime

Lastchime

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:52 PM

View PostAizea, on 25 September 2012 - 07:02 PM, said:

They were eventually made fairly powerful in PVE..........after a few years.

Really the mesmer has always been a difficult beast to balance while still keeping a unique mesmer flair.

The razor's edge that is essentially a counter-class. Although survivability is way way up now.

Edited by Lastchime, 25 September 2012 - 07:53 PM.

#11 DaSwede

DaSwede

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:55 PM

I like when mobs aren't targeting my clones... I can easily kite or get out of the fray, but clones cannot... As long as the mobs are focused on me, clones can apply conditions and boons until CD so I can shatter and immediately make more. I seriously hope they don't change it.

Edited by DaSwede, 25 September 2012 - 07:55 PM.

#12 Torden

Torden

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • Curse Premium
  • 83 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:04 PM

Time to vent:
I wish Clones were our class mechanic instead of Shatter.
I wish our Clones did no damage and were used for distraction/mobility only. (F1=Blink/leave clone, F2=Decoy/stealth/leave clone, shorter cooldowns, double-tap to swap with clone)
I wish our damage was balanced around our abilities and not our clones.
I wish our abilities were not polluted by clone generators, but enhanced with more cool damage/condition/boon/effect generators.

Shatter has ruined everything.

Edited by Torden, 25 September 2012 - 08:12 PM.

#13 Veltoss

Veltoss

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:08 PM

View PostSabbathius, on 25 September 2012 - 04:45 PM, said:

Honestly, personally I feel that Mesmer is by far the worst PvE class in the game right now.
Anyone who says otherwise is ignoring the facts and stroking their epeen. We are, indeed, the worst PvE class. Leveling my engineer lately has made me hate Mesmer PvE even more. So much more effort just to kill mobs even slower, and barely any chance of lootbags in dynamic events with more than two other people..

#14 Kymeric

Kymeric

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1929 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:12 PM

I'd rather play my mesmer out in the world leveling than my engineer any day.  I haven't got either above level 25, so my opinion doesn't apply to higher levels.

With engineer I feel like it takes forever to kill things, and I die fast.  With mesmer, it takes a long time to kill things, but I can successfully kite a handful of mobs and wear them down to death.

So I wouldn't put it in last place.  Definitely not as easy as War, Guardian, or Ele, though.

#15 phillukin

phillukin

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:26 PM

View PostMaker, on 25 September 2012 - 03:45 PM, said:

Hi Guys, i am clearly pvp player. But i am thinking about starting playing pve. So i have question is mesmer any good in pve ? I tried him, killed few monsters and i feel that i don´t have damage + he doesn´t have any AoE. Thanks

Bad players think they are bad, good players find them one of the best support classes in the game.

-tons of reflects
-best support elite skill in the game "time warp"
-incredible survivability
-best aoe group res "illusion of life"

tons of others that i don't need to mention, if you are a fairly competent player you will get alot out of playing a mesmer.

BTW my team has cleared all of arah explorable, including the super "impossible" priest of dwayna.

our group:
1-mesmer
2-warrior
1-thief
1-guardian

#16 CepaCepa

CepaCepa

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:58 PM

People are going to have vastly different experience for PvE mesmers, and this depends on whether if you want to run Dynamic Events at level 80 or do dungeon runs. Some specs are comparable to other professions in damage while some specs feel lacklustre, you'd see amazing survivability in dungeons just like in PvP (this depends though, on how you play and how twitchy you are).

The mesmer mechanism is truly unique, it takes some getting use to. Some may call it "broken", but like any systems IRL, as long as you can figure out how it works, provided you don't have a personal grudge against the very mechanism, you can use it to your own advantage and minimize the negative impact. It can be quite powerful when stars align.

Oh and leveling isn't exactly the most fun before level 40, just so you know. :)

#17 Veltoss

Veltoss

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:04 PM

View PostCepaCepa, on 25 September 2012 - 09:58 PM, said:

People are going to have vastly different experience for PvE mesmers, and this depends on whether if you want to run Dynamic Events at level 80 or do dungeon runs. Some specs are comparable to other professions in damage while some specs feel lacklustre, you'd see amazing survivability in dungeons just like in PvP (this depends though, on how you play and how twitchy you are).

The mesmer mechanism is truly unique, it takes some getting use to. Some may call it "broken", but like any systems IRL, as long as you can figure out how it works, provided you don't have a personal grudge against the very mechanism, you can use it to your own advantage and minimize the negative impact. It can be quite powerful when stars align.

Oh and leveling isn't exactly the most fun before level 40, just so you know. :)
Then please, for those of us having worse experiences, what magical builds are you using to do as good in DEs as other classes can do? How are you killing mobs at a speed comparable to other classes?

#18 lobotomies

lobotomies

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:40 AM

View PostTorden, on 25 September 2012 - 08:04 PM, said:

Time to vent:
I wish our Clones did no damage and were used for distraction/mobility only. (F1=Blink/leave clone, F2=Decoy/stealth/leave clone, shorter cooldowns, double-tap to swap with clone)
I wish our abilities were not polluted by clone generators, but enhanced with more cool damage/condition/boon/effect generators.

I completely and wholeheartedly agree. My rotation is basically spamming some phantasms and clones, shattering them, switching to my other weapon, spamming those phantasms/clones, and shattering. And by that time my first weapons' phantasms are reset, so wash, rinse, repeat. Never do I feel like I personally do damage to an enemy, it's always me sending out a clone and hoping I can get some damage in before I shatter it. Not a great time, and not a great damage output. It's debateable that yes there are lots of skills that are not phantasms or clones, but how many? Almost all of the weapons have half of their skills as phantasms/clones, and the other half are split between defensive, aoe and offensive skills. What has Anet really given us to work with?

#19 DaSwede

DaSwede

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

View PostVeltoss, on 25 September 2012 - 11:04 PM, said:

Then please, for those of us having worse experiences, what magical builds are you using to do as good in DEs as other classes can do? How are you killing mobs at a speed comparable to other classes?

I run mostly DEs with a few dungeons thrown in for fun with this: http://gw2skills.net...H59GlCtndSKadpB

It's movement/dodging intensive, but you can take around 5-6 mobs at a time. Few notes:
- Unless really needed, use Phase Retreat in Chaos Storm or Feedback to get Chaos Armor, it's a life saver.
- If mob(s) follow you, kite them in a circle using dodging, Phase Retreat, and Blink while clones + warlock apply condtions/deal damage. If mob(s) attack your clones, DON'T SHATTER, let them be killed so the mobs are crippled and gain another condition; clones are easy to make.
- Only shatter to kill mob(s) OR when mobs are in a tight group and Mirror Images is off cooldown.
- Chaos Storm is a DEFENSIVE spell, not offensive. You get 6 condtions/boons from a single cast so you're VERY likely to get one if not more stacks of 3s aegis. This is HUGE for staying alive.
- Against really fast mobs or if you need to run away: switch to sword/focus, cast Temporal Curtain, run through it and hit it again to pull mobs away from you while you run.
- Feedback ranged units, Moa Morph mobs with skills like knockdown or other painful skills.
- When running dungeons: switch Blink with Null Field and Moa Morph with Time Warp. Also, try to get three Warlocks out on bosses.

This build is best at taking down small to medium groups (2 - 4), not a single target.

EDIT: I should point out the biggest weakness of not just this build, but the mesmer as a whole: ability to tag mobs when fighting in a group for DE's. This is something that ANet really needs to fix.

Edited by DaSwede, 26 September 2012 - 03:00 PM.

#20 Necrobolt22

Necrobolt22

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:26 PM

Another change Mesmer really needs is illusions to stay as long as your character doesn't put his/her weapon's on the back/side. There is just no reason why illusions shatter if a monster dies ... I would even call it "broken meachnic" since as long as your weapon is out there is no reason why your magic should stop working. I know that the descriptions says "[...] and attacks the target with XXX" but this is just nonsense.

If arenanet would just
a) let the illusions stay until a fight is clearly over
b ) make monsters a little less genious in finding your character between 3 illusions
c) give illusions like 10% of the damage you can do (that's not much but would be a satisfying "damage-over-time"

the Mesmer could easily be much more enjoying in PVE.

Edited by Necrobolt22, 26 September 2012 - 06:26 PM.

#21 CepaCepa

CepaCepa

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:48 PM

View PostVeltoss, on 25 September 2012 - 11:04 PM, said:

First, I was mainly talking about dungeons, where most of my personal focus is.

DEs, I run them as I level up, but I don't farm them. With greatsword, really it is only in Orrian zerg and maybe those big events (centaurs for example) that you'd have problems tagging mobs. But as I leveled all my chars up, NONE of them can tag 100% of the mobs in those events, things sometimes die so fast that even my engineer won't get credit (you know that 1 second that the grenades are still in the air? Yeah mobs die in that 1 second, there's just nothing you can do about those situation unless you're melee or otherwise have instant and hard-hitting aoe, which NO ranged profession can consistantly pull off unless they stand happily in a line for piercing). You get half if you're lucky/good. My mesmer still get half bag full of loots per chain-event run, with less people the number of loot increase, obviously. Other professions have trouble in DEs too, for example while most people say that elementalists are great at ranged aoe and hence must be great in DEs, that's not completely true. Only if I go dagger/dagger do I see lots of loots, but that's pretty much the same as melee. Reason being, those close-range spells cast  instantly (staying close means no fireball flying for 0.5 seconds in mid-air, that 0.5 could mean the life and death of that mob) and if I get a combo off I can tag a group of mob nicely. ONE group, that group right in front of me. Yeah meteor shower is huge area, but by the time the first meteor starts dropping from the sky 90% of the mobs are already dead. Compare to this, mirror blade is very decent at tagging mobs, mirror blade + mind stab + iBerserker (not always successful, but then again what is? You can't possibly expect this to be formulaic) tags mobs fast. That's not the best compared to those melee standing in there and slashing away, but what are you expecting? To beat every other class in every situation?

Killing mobs at the speed of other professions, I assume you're talking about leveling, not dungeon. I already said that we can pull off great damage in dungeons, for some fights we're beastly. Don't believe me? Go put on a greatsword, go glass cannon (no, as a glass cannon MESMER you won't die), remember your CDs and go into a dungeon. In multi-mob situation just pick one veteran mob, start bursting on it. Compare your speed with the other 4 people all hacking at that other veteran (well if you're wondering how can you do that, simply tell them "oh I'll control this other mob while you guys kill that one", but in reality since you're standing at 1200 distance the mob would start heading toward them anyways, NOT that you should really do this in normal dungeons and make your team miserable. Just for testing purpose. This way you can safely dps save for illusion death here and there --- Which you can quickly summon between the 8 second CDs on TWO weapons), by the time their mob is dead your mob has 2/3 to 1/2 health left depending on how long the fight is, which means you're doing 1.5-2 people's worth of damage. Sometimes even higher, if they don't know what they're doing. With feedback it's not even comparable, you kill ranged mobs BEFORE they can kill a melee collectively. 3 phantasms doing 4-7K damage EACH every 5 second is insane, and Greatsword damage itself is very respectable too. Thief unload does 6K damage in 3 second, and they can only do that half of the time meaning 12K in 6 seconds. Warrior has thousand blade on 8 second CD which lasts for 3 seconds, doing 16K damage. And you surpass that damage JUST by using your phantasms at no cost to survivability. And no their white attack is not comparable to your Greatsword with mirror blade and mind stab. For a long fight like that it's not even hard to pull those numbers off, only for short fights do we really need to test our skills by juggling all the shatters and manage illusions.

For leveling, it's true that we don't have the front-load damage like the other professions, you can solve that by going Sword/Sword and shatter heavy, focusing on evasiveness to stay alive in melee range. It's not much slower than the other professions, though admittedly feels a lot more riskier since you die to 2 hits on those miscalculated dodges. You're much more likely to die in leveling compared to dungeons, that's also very true, but believe me elementalists have it worse if they're using a staff. Again, you can't possibly hope to be at the top for every single situation compared to other professions.

#22 AndrewSX

AndrewSX

Sylvari Specialist

• Members
  • 690 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:47 PM

The sad thing is that Mes in BWE1 was a BLAST to play.

Simply put: never had so much fun in any RPG like that mes.

Then all CDs got upped alot.
All clones 0 dmg.
All dmg of skills downed.
Then downed the dmg of phantasm.

Seriously, they committed a crime imo. Mes of BWE 1 may have been a but too much (clone with AA dmg, not crazy long CD on anything whorty using, higher dmg of skills across the board), but now it's just a shame to see the state of prof.

i hope that at least they have something in mind for future changes (after any tecnical/unbug patching that game needs).

#23 Passive Aggressive

Passive Aggressive

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1316 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SPAM]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:04 AM

Slow but very survivable. Even if you pull multiple mobs.

#24 jondifool

jondifool

Sylvari Specialist

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:22 PM

The Mesmer is the closest thing to a traditional tank in GW2 - you know the guy that can survive every thing and really does no damage.
Mesmers really do survive alot, its properly the class that can go most into a pure damage setup without having to worry alot about dieing. Its unfortunatly also the the class that has to go all out in glass canon setup to just be able to manage to chime in and do just a little damage in PvE.

ArenaNet once stated that the guardian was the hardest profession to balance, but so far it really looks like that could have been the mesmer they where talking about. Because basicly AreanaNet have keept on slowing its damage down in many areas, while keeping its control and defense option intact. What is left is this amazing sPvP 1v1 character, that unfortunatly is to slow and 1vs1 focused to use well in most PvE setups. Unless offcause traiting it as one of 2 gimmick glasscannon build. And it says something about the state of the mesmer that I feel like i am forced to go that way as it is now.

#25 Jobuu

Jobuu

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:27 PM

View PostPassive Aggressive, on 27 September 2012 - 12:04 AM, said:

Slow but very survivable. Even if you pull multiple mobs.

yea 2,3,4,5 lol if you're in a high respawn rate and mobs keep trickling in, your hands will get tired before your character does :)

#26 RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:13 PM

I'm not seeing this whole "Rubbish in PvE" thing. I mean, yeah, I don't curb-stomp big groups of foes as fast as my engineer. But never have I found myself thinking "omg this sucks", well not after around level 20-30 anyway (Which is the lowest point for a mezzie).

Traitting is important, with a focus on strong phantasms, shatters and a steady flow of shatter fodder I have no trouble do plenty of AoE with my greatsword while having the option of spiking down lone targets. Berserker can put out a surprising amount of AoE damage, throw in the bleeds, and follow up with a shatter and you've pretty much put the pull through a woodchipper. And Vs single targets... well.

Trait your glamours to cause blinds and you have a veritable arsenal of defensive/utility skills to throw down as a force multiplier or combo with your finishers. I'm happy enough with greatsword for general use that i use a sceptre/pistol for my swap so in DE's Vs champions I can stand back and set up my duellists, before swapping back to greatsword and just sit there and gun down the target with a combination of insane bleed, confusion and direct damage

#27 OhReallyNoWay

OhReallyNoWay

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:22 PM

Mesmer leveling can be fun, but I personally find the "novelty" starting to wear off around mid level. Every spec requires a "ramp up" time before you can reach your full damage potential. Even then, as others have pointed out, Mesmers don't outclass others in terms of damage (at least in PVE).

PS: AOE attacks are annoying against a Mesmer.

Edited by OhReallyNoWay, 27 September 2012 - 09:24 PM.

#28 scyld

scyld

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:54 PM

View PostTorden, on 25 September 2012 - 08:04 PM, said:

Time to vent:

I'm surprised. I usually think that posts which demand for complete class revamps are ridiculous, but... I almost kind of agree with this.

If the mesmer had been taken in this direction, I would add to the above: have abilities that interacted with clones generated by our function key skill, but still let these abilities be useful even if no clones are out.

That said, I still think that the rough edges of the mesmer can be worked out in the class's current design.

#29 Jobuu

Jobuu

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:55 PM

View PostOhReallyNoWay, on 27 September 2012 - 09:22 PM, said:

PS: AOE attacks are annoying against a Mesmer.
this is why i suggest clones die after x hits and not have HP like normal PC/NPCs - if they had a hit counter (like an invisible aegis) i think this would be a better solution. no more one-shotting. let them take 3 hits before they poof

Edited by Jobuu, 27 September 2012 - 09:56 PM.

#30 Majic

Majic

Sylvari Specialist

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:57 AM

Imaginary Friends

At lvl 54, I roll with sword/sword and feel like a total badass. I almost never use my staff unless I'm up against AoE spam (staff gives me ranged illusions which stack conditions and generally stay outside PBAoE range), need to pick off a few mobs out of a large group or kite.

Night before last (at level 49), I stumbled into a DE on an island in the Bloodtide Coast where risen corruptor nodes needed to be cleared out of a cave system. I was the only player there, and there were groups of risen running around everywhere, but figured what the hell and went for it.

During the fight, it was typical for me to take on a few brutes only to have a squad of six little asura thralls join in, then maybe a few respawns, all while having to dodge ranged AoE poison attacks. Oftentimes I had a dozen mobs on me and stacks of conditions (thank God for mantra of resolve). I can't count how many times I almost died, and the many more times I said screw it, swore I was going to leave, but kept changing my mind and giving it another try.

Six nodes. Me against dozens and dozens of rapidly-respawning risen, and frankly not being the best mesmer that ever lived (I have an amazing talent for hitting the wrong skills in a tense situation). One node down, and at least two dozen risen killed just getting that done. Great. Now the next one is farther in. Two nodes. More risen, and they're respawning in crazy numbers behind me.

Now I'm boxed in by respawns, so there's no turning back. There are so many freakin' risen running around I can't even see the little AoE rings and keep getting conditions stacked on me. I'm dodge-spamming clones just to get enough out to make my heal stronger. Ain't no standing still, and I've dropped below 10% health so often it feels like home.

The last node. It's way back in the back of the caves, in a little alcove so tight there's not much room to dodge, and more of those damn risen clogging the place like a rock concert. I've been sending clones and phantasms at the nodes to keep them from sniping me, all while kiting and setting up groups of risen for blurred frenzy attacks.

Somehow, and I still wonder how, I managed to solo that event. When I did, I really felt I earned that gold. That wasn't just gold, it was maximum gold. :P

I know I could probably wade into a lot of these situations with my warrior or guardian, just start chopping stuff up and take things down more quickly, but my swords do very respectable AoE damage and my illusions take a hell of a lot of heat off me. Moreover, I know my mesmer can handle situations most of my other characters can't, mainly because any class that gets focus-fired and condition-stacked by enough mobs is going to go down, and despite being so fragile, my illusions somehow manage to do an awesome job of keeping enemies occupied long enough for me to get in and lay some blurred frenzy voodoo down on them.

I'm finding I really enjoy playing my mesmer sort like a warrior with imaginary friends, sending off clones and phantasms to do my bidding while working my way through crowds with my slashy swords. With celerity, clone on dodge and debilitating dissipation, my illusions die often, but rarely in vain (unless everything's already dead). For as in-your-face as I tend to be, doing melee with light armor and all, I really don't take much damage most of the time, and when I do, I have a full metric ton of escape skills and almost never go down (except in really nasty DEs with wide-area AoE spam that one-shot-downs everyone else anyway).

If you're looking for raw, simple killing power, a DD/DPS-specced warrior is the best choice, in my opinion. Guardian is also a good choice for healthy AoE damage (greatsword ftw), with nice buffs and survivability. For DE-tagging and zerg farming, just about everything other than mesmer is a better choice (though I do find I can get a surprising amount done in DEs just jumping into melee, swinging my swords around tagging stuff and sending clones off to other groups to die and AoE-tag them with conditions, and swapping to staff for the obligatory chaos storms).

But if you like more variety and entertainment in your combat and aren't so concerned about following zergs around, nothing tops the mesmer, as far as I'm concerned. I just never seem to get tired of watching mobs fall for my little tricks -- and I got a million of 'em.

YMMV. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users