13 replies to this topic

#1 typographie

typographie

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2028 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LAW]

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:27 PM

Every so often, my audio in GW2 will cease completely and is replaced by, what I can only describe as, a sine wave; sort of an oscillating, in and out "woooo" sound. This seems to occur most commonly when I'm fighting dragon bosses, or other combat situations with massed numbers of players and thus a lot of sound effects firing off. Completely exiting the game and re-launching has fixed it each time.

I'm running a Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer card as my primary sound device with probably the most recent 64-bit Windows 7 drivers.

Since this has only ever occurred with GW2 and it requires no PC reboot to fix, I'm sure its just a glitch of some kind on Anet's end and I'm not terribly worried about my hardware. I'm posting here not so much to ask if anyone knows a solution, but rather if anyone else has also experienced it before I post about it on their forums or submit a bug report.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Edited by typographie, 26 September 2012 - 04:28 PM.

#2 AzureSky

AzureSky

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:18 PM

creative cards are known to have driver issues, creative support tends to be pretty slow to fix issues as well...or they flat out refuse to fix them.

my advice is to make sure you have no extra effects enabled via your soundcard cp and if that dosnt help, lower the khz to 44 or 46khz rather then 96 or 192khz.

my last creative card(and the last one i will buy) gave me fits with some titles, found that I had to change settings for specific games, where the onboard sound or my cmedia chipset cards would just work without headaches.

the symptoms you have arent uncommon with creative cards/drivers from my exp, I have seen lots of complaints and dealt with some personally on x-fi and audigy line cards.

if its driving you that crazy, try your boards onboard sound or grab an asus xonar card, either way, you shouldnt have those problems anymore.(and the xonar cards sound better then creatives to boot)

#3 The Law

The Law

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:24 PM

Hey, this issue is a GW2 bug. Only when the my sound disappeared, it got replaced by a beeping sound. Then after a few minutes my game crashed. But I got this problem solved by putting my sound settings to default settings. Hope this helps!

#4 Treble

Treble

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2239 posts
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:57 PM

There was a thread about this a while back.

Turn your sound settings to Medium.

#5 typographie

typographie

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2028 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:07 PM

View PostAzureSky, on 26 September 2012 - 06:18 PM, said:

creative cards are known to have driver issues, creative support tends to be pretty slow to fix issues as well...or they flat out refuse to fix them.

I've had this card for about 4 years at this point, and while I did have some driver issues with it on Windows Vista awhile back I've never had another issue since. I play a lot of games and like I said, this is something that happens only in GW2 and restarting GW2 fixes it.

View PostTreble, on 26 September 2012 - 09:57 PM, said:

There was a thread about this a while back.

Turn your sound settings to Medium.

Whoops. I searched but didn't see anything that looked relevant.

I did have sound set to Highest Quality, but, suspecting that could be a factor, I set it back to the "middle" of the slider some time ago, and its definitely happened since then. Could the Mixing Buffer Size or Music Interval (I have music off..) be related? I don't think I've altered those, though.

#6 Juminator

Juminator

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • Server:Underworld

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:55 AM

Ive had this happen since launch, after the last patch ( 25/09 ) i cant even play WvW , this sound crash/glitch happens every single time 5/10 min in max, theres severel thinghs that can happen after, sometimes it crashed the entire client right away, others its just keeps playing(i turn off all the sound).

Im surprised that i dont see more people complaining about , this is a very serious bug, it crashes the client like 80% of the times and it got really bad after the last patch.

And yes its definitly the game sound engine, it crashes the entire pc sound path until we close the client to shut that horible sound off.

#7 Treble

Treble

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2239 posts
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:32 PM

View Posttypographie, on 26 September 2012 - 11:07 PM, said:

Whoops. I searched but didn't see anything that looked relevant.

I did have sound set to Highest Quality, but, suspecting that could be a factor, I set it back to the "middle" of the slider some time ago, and its definitely happened since then. Could the Mixing Buffer Size or Music Interval (I have music off..) be related? I don't think I've altered those, though.
Weird. I had the siren noise that you speak of. Really loud and obnoxious and drowns out the rest of the game whenever there's a bunch of people on the screen at events or WvW and doesn't go away until you restart. It was sorta "fixed" when I lowered my sound quality. But now, instead of a siren during big events, I get this weird clicking noise like someone's tapping a hammer on a table. But at least that one goes away when I leave the event.

The sound in this game is really screwed.

BTW I use an HT Omega Striker sound card.

#8 typographie

typographie

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2028 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:58 PM

Maybe its a different issue entirely. I wouldn't call mine a "siren." Its actually quite a soft sound, no louder than the game's sound was and isn't piercing or obnoxious per se. All other game sounds immediately cease for me, they aren't just being drowned out.

Your clicking sound may actually be the footsteps of some nearby Ranger's pet. I've had that happen a few times, where footsteps are playing like 10 times louder than they're supposed to. It was mentioned in Anet's most recent patch notes, but I'm still getting it sometimes.

Edited by typographie, 27 September 2012 - 06:59 PM.

#9 Juminator

Juminator

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • Server:Underworld

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

View Posttypographie, on 27 September 2012 - 06:58 PM, said:

Maybe its a different issue entirely. I wouldn't call mine a "siren." Its actually quite a soft sound, no louder than the game's sound was and isn't piercing or obnoxious per se. All other game sounds immediately cease for me, they aren't just being drowned out.

Your clicking sound may actually be the footsteps of some nearby Ranger's pet. I've had that happen a few times, where footsteps are playing like 10 times louder than they're supposed to. It was mentioned in Anet's most recent patch notes, but I'm still getting it sometimes.

I have the same problem, i would describe the sound as a Sin Sound wave that totally overrides all the game sound, the others sound arend there they just stop, music , effects, everything, and are replaced by this Sin Wave.

#10 Dirk Hardpeck

Dirk Hardpeck

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:40 AM

I am running an X-Fi TItanium HD and have the exact same problem. Mostly during dragon fights. I believe the "sound quality" slider is for number of simultaneous sound effects, thus the issue when there is so much going on.

Setting it back to default certainly helps, but as was mentioned, is still occurs occasionally.

#11 typographie

typographie

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2028 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:20 AM

Well I guess that's all I was trying to achieve in this thread; finding out if its happening to others. In that case I'll keep my sound at default quality and keep watching for it to happen again and hope for a fix. Thanks for the responses.

#12 Taargkrizzt

Taargkrizzt

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:37 AM

I get this aswell, though only in WvW, Its bloody annoying since it requires a client restart to fix and welcome to wvw que after ..
Using Realtek Hd onboard thingie (yeah can you tell I'm not tech sawie)

#13 Nex

Nex

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 93 posts
  • Guild Tag:[uA]
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:24 AM

I've had this happen quite often on the big dragon events or in WvWvW. When I changed the Mixing Buffer Size setting to Most Stable, it stopped happening. I've since moved it one notch below Most Stable and still haven't encountered it, so I'd suggest changing this value first.

#14 Adamant

Adamant

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • Guild Tag:[PSY]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:01 AM

Something like this?

It happens to me all the time in World vs World if I have my sound quality on the absolute max. I prevent it by bringing it down a tick before getting into any huge fights.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users