6 replies to this topic

#1 Kurodar

Kurodar

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:26 PM

Hi there!

I'm doubting between these 2 classes (Ranger and Thief) for an alt.

As far as I know both professions have a lot of killing capability, but my concerns are mainly in their AoE. Basically I would like to know how are both classes in terms of AoE in leveling, for example (and mainly) in that kind of DE's focused in waves of mobs on which I don't know who excels in being the fastest at killing them.

Any other information about this would be helpful too.

Thanks!

#2 Maxtofunator

Maxtofunator

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:38 PM

They are both pretty good depending on what weaponset and things you choose to use. The thief's shortbow has an AOE ont he autoattack [bouncing attack], a poison field and a blast explosion you can use, plus the swords autoattack is AOE. The ranger has a few AoE styled attacks on the shortbow and then longbow has the big arrow rain skill, plus the axe bounces, and I think the greatsword has an AoE on the autoattack.
But the thief is known for being a really fast killed, though the ranger can do the same thing, but is probably smoother and easier at lower levels than the thief is due to the higher natural health pool

#3 Drekor

Drekor

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1619 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TSP]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:17 PM

Thief vastly outclasses rangers for AoE... really not much else to say... clusterbomb spam is very powerful.

#4 Yllibas

Yllibas

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 227 posts
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:24 PM

Rangers don't have a ton of offensive AoE abilities. There's Barrage on longbow. Poison Volley on Shortbow. Axe has the ability to bounce from enemy to enemy with the 1 skill, Splitblade is an outward conal attack. Torch has bonfire. Greatsword hits multiple enemies depending on range.

A lot of AoE for Rangers has to do with control and support. We have fire, spike and poison traps along with muddy terrain. We also have Spirits that buff people nearby. Healing spring heals AoE. Entangle bleeds and immobilizes nearby enemies. I wouldn't say Ranger is a killing machine that's on the same level as Thief or Warriors.

#5 matsif

matsif

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1516 posts
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:54 PM

I know you can trait for ground targetable traps as a ranger, which would allow you to "throw" the flame/spike/whatever trap at a mob.  not sure if thief gets this trait, but I haven't played that profession yet so I'm not sure, and since my ranger isn't leveled that high yet I can't say as to how viable that build would be, but its an idea.

#6 Heineken

Heineken

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:14 PM

Trap Rangers have decent AoE, but a Thief Clusterbomb spamming automatically takes the cake.

#7 ukgamer23

ukgamer23

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:36 PM

Longbow: 5 skill (CD is too long, to be effective)
Shortbow: 2 skill. Axe: 1,2 both good for aoe. Torch: good damage, but long CD.
Traps: spike, fire, poision. Traited they are bigger and throwable 600 range.

But overall I think rangers have poor aoe selection and effectiveness.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ranger, thief, aoe, leveling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users