• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BorderKeeper

BorderKeeper

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:20 AM

Hey guys, recently I bought GW2 and started playing it. Further in I figured out that the graphics settings have NO effect on my FPS and the game is just running how it wants. This would be alright, I seemed to fix the low FPS by installing 296.10 patch.
The problem came when I play the game freezes in random spots. It seems it freezes when it gets more graphically intense, but after circa 10 minutes of playing.
The freeze is very abnoxious,beacuse it doesn't just freeze the game. It freezes my whole PC and I need to manualy restart it.
I can prolonge the time when it freezes by decreasing the graphics, but its very random.
Heres a link of my rig ...

Posted Image

Thanks a lot for the help

EDIT: I forgot. It freezes with the new version of my driver too + the fps is 10-15 when nothing is going on, so not updating is not and issue.

Edited by BorderKeeper, 28 September 2012 - 09:22 AM.

#2 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3354 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

Freezing like this is often the result of driver conflicts. Make sure that Windows and all your drivers - chipset, audio, etc - are up to date.

#3 BorderKeeper

BorderKeeper

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:45 PM

View PostQuaker, on 28 September 2012 - 03:40 PM, said:

Freezing like this is often the result of driver conflicts. Make sure that Windows and all your drivers - chipset, audio, etc - are up to date.
I hope that's not the case. I have an external sound card which isn't neccesary compatible. It works, but without drivers.

I know that when it freezes it starts playing this high pitched tone. Stops when restarted or unplugged/plugged the card

Card is Tapco Link.usb

#4 Juminator

Juminator

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • Server:Underworld

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:23 PM

View PostBorderKeeper, on 28 September 2012 - 03:45 PM, said:

I hope that's not the case. I have an external sound card which isn't neccesary compatible. It works, but without drivers.

I know that when it freezes it starts playing this high pitched tone. Stops when restarted or unplugged/plugged the card

Card is Tapco Link.usb

Well the sound engine in this game is really crappy and unstable, so my guess is that your external sound card as something to do whit the problem.

Excluding the sound card, i would say driver conflicts, OS going berserk or Overheating problems, thats the top 3 i check for problems when something goes wrong.

Is that sound card your only sound option ? if no can you play without it and see if it crashes ?

#5 BorderKeeper

BorderKeeper

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:59 PM

View PostJuminator, on 28 September 2012 - 04:23 PM, said:

Well the sound engine in this game is really crappy and unstable, so my guess is that your external sound card as something to do whit the problem.

Excluding the sound card, i would say driver conflicts, OS going berserk or Overheating problems, thats the top 3 i check for problems when something goes wrong.

Is that sound card your only sound option ? if no can you play without it and see if it crashes ?

I know GTX conflicting GW2 is a known issue but noone has a problem as major as I do. I doubt it's OS and Overheating would cause it to go black and restart, it does neither + I checked with speedfan and temperature is fine.

I have internal sound card and I'll test it out. I hope it's not, because the external is better by a longshot.

EDIT: I ran "Who crashed" and it spew out this. Sounds like a driver issue but can't put my finger on what the heck is "ntoskrnl.exe". I'll do more google research on that.
On Fri 20.7.2012 11:40:03 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\072012-33453-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x71F00)
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFA8005918A00, 0xFFFFF80000B9C518, 0xFFFFFA8003CBEA60)
Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

Edited by BorderKeeper, 28 September 2012 - 06:04 PM.

#6 Kirk

Kirk

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:00 PM

I wish it would freeze my PC, mine's hotter than a toaster right now.

#7 BorderKeeper

BorderKeeper

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

View PostKirk, on 28 September 2012 - 06:00 PM, said:

I wish it would freeze my PC, mine's hotter than a toaster right now.
Normally I would say, stick to the topic, but in this case thanks for bumping :D

Here's a pic of my solution to overheating shown on my old GPU which tend to overheat. (Radeon 3850)
Spoiler

Edited by BorderKeeper, 28 September 2012 - 06:13 PM.

#8 Kirk

Kirk

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:21 PM

View PostBorderKeeper, on 28 September 2012 - 06:13 PM, said:

Normally I would say, stick to the topic, but in this case thanks for bumping :D

Here's a pic of my solution to overheating shown on my old GPU which tend to overheat. (Radeon 3850)
Spoiler

LOL!

You've made my day.

That's absolutely amazing.

When did you buy this GPU? On-topic now, I promise.

#9 BorderKeeper

BorderKeeper

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

View PostKirk, on 28 September 2012 - 06:21 PM, said:

LOL!

You've made my day.

That's absolutely amazing.

When did you buy this GPU? On-topic now, I promise.

Oh long time ago. This is a low/middle-end relic. It was overheating in the summer when I played brink so I decided to put a box of ice ontop. Worked for like an hour but then the ice melted and I had to refill it manualy :D

#10 Kirk

Kirk

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

View PostBorderKeeper, on 28 September 2012 - 06:27 PM, said:

Oh long time ago. This is a low/middle-end relic. It was overheating in the summer when I played brink so I decided to put a box of ice ontop. Worked for like an hour but then the ice melted and I had to refill it manualy :D

It just gets better, haha.

I suggest applying new thermal paste to it, although if I were you I'd just get a new graphics card as some prices have come down but if that's not an option you can buy thermal paste really cheap. Don't touch the paste, clear all dust before applying.

You just need to apply a spot of it the size of a pea onto the 'chip' the GPU fan is sitting on, be very careful while taking the fan off remember to touch the sides of your case to remove the static from your body before handling any components. GPU fans can be awkward to remove, they're very stiff from what I've heard make sure you watch some videos and do a bit more.

Try this then post your results, this is probably the most common reason for overheating.

You can also try simply reseating the graphics card before doing anything, rarely that can have an effect.

Edited by Kirk, 28 September 2012 - 06:35 PM.

#11 BorderKeeper

BorderKeeper

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:35 AM

View PostKirk, on 28 September 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

It just gets better, haha.

I suggest applying new thermal paste to it, although if I were you I'd just get a new graphics card as some prices have come down but if that's not an option you can buy thermal paste really cheap. Don't touch the paste, clear all dust before applying.

You just need to apply a spot of it the size of a pea onto the 'chip' the GPU fan is sitting on, be very careful while taking the fan off remember to touch the sides of your case to remove the static from your body before handling any components. GPU fans can be awkward to remove, they're very stiff from what I've heard make sure you watch some videos and do a bit more.

Try this then post your results, this is probably the most common reason for overheating.

You can also try simply reseating the graphics card before doing anything, rarely that can have an effect.

Kirk I just posted that image out of fun. I have GTX 560ti now and no overheating problems. My problems are from a different keg.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gw2, freeze, crash, gtx, 550ti, solid, restart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users