Here are the builds I've tried:
Axe/Focus Staff Power
Dagger/Warhorn Staff Power
Dag/War Axe/Foc power
Staff Power/Cond/Prec Glass Cannon Wells
Deathshroud Spectral Sustain
I wanted to share my thoughts on various aspects of power builds that I've discovered, and I want to hear you guys' thoughts on them, too.
- Axe is not a good weapon. I've tried it every way and I just can't justify using it. For damage, it is weak and slow. 3 is nice for tanking, but it doesn't do much. 2 and 1 are lackluster for damage. The only reason I would use axe is to stack vulnerability in dungeons, but even then, the "1" skill doesn't attack fast enough to be worth it.
- Wells are the ONLY good utility skills in a power build. They're also our only big reliable source of AoE damage. As such, you will almost always take 20 points in blood.
- Lifesteal is weak and should not be built towards.
- Dagger is our only option for hard-hitting attacks.
- Warhorn Locust Swarm combined with 15 pt blood trait ends up being some impressive damage.
- Warhorn Daze is vastly underrated and one of our best weapon skills.
- Close to Death is an amazing trait (after it was fixed) and is a must in all competitive power builds.
- As a necro, you can build glass cannon. Berserker's / Rampager's. I look at Death Shroud as a free significant boost to toughness and vitality. We can afford to have low survivability because you can tank bursts with your shroud.
- Staff is a bit overrated but I believe it to be our only other viable power weapon.
- Building damage for death shroud does not work simply because our death shroud does not have decent damage skill options outside of the first few seconds of life blast.
- Lich Form is overrated. While it is powerful, I often find myself ending it early because it does not offer enough utility and AoE. It is, however, king for single target DPS.
- On Crit sigils are surprisingly effective. I run the quickness sigil and despite me only having 35% crit chance it usually goes off shortly after every cooldown.
- With Locust Swarm, Dagger Auto, and Wells, you do a LOT of quick damage in a short amount of time. With so many ticks, it definitely helps with any crit sigils, and turns lifesteal from a weak passive to a moderate source of damage.
As far as my performance goes. PvE I have no trouble. I often solo 5 mobs at a time without being concerned about my survivability, despite wearing full berserkers.
In WvW, I have never lost a 1v1 match. I think this is partially because it's an unexpected build, but I will attribute most of my success to warhorn daze. You just activate locust swarm, close the gap, lock them with dagger 3, drop wells, and daze them before they can save themselves.
Edited by Proseidon1, 28 September 2012 - 06:27 PM.