RushV

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Echo]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:15 PM

Hey guys,

I am sharing my leveling build for guardians here so that new players who need help can have easier times leveling up.

The guide can be found at the following link:

http://guildwars.inc...leveling-build/

If you have any questions you can post them below and I will do my best to reply to them in a timely manner.

Good luck to everyone out there.

May Dwayna bless you all!

#2 pattycakechamp

pattycakechamp

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:35 PM

Like the build! Working on leveling a guardian currently so I'll use some of your tips :D  There is one thing I would change though for more experienced players or people who have leveled an alt to 80 and thats changing out a utility slot for Retreat, purely for the swiftness boost. Just a personal play style I choose to use. Helps for when you first get to an area and your discovering areas or when your almost done and you need those couple PoI and Vista's. Another side note while running from place to place I swap to a Staff for the swiftness symbol.

Edited by pattycakechamp, 29 September 2012 - 03:41 PM.

#3 Aeon77

Aeon77

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:04 AM

i've tested that build and surprisingly that build works for me. I do have problem with fiddling with the skillset tho, i'm one of those gamers who usually button-smash. Still learning to micromanage skills in this one.

Just wondering, does that build do well in pvp or wvwvw?

#4 SpelignErrir

SpelignErrir

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:09 AM

Nice build, me likey

#5 Luthor Huss

Luthor Huss

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:52 AM

Well thought out and well written guide. My lvl 40 guardian will find this very useful.

Also as someone else mentioned, its a good idea to have a Staff as a secondary even at the start, and swap to 1H/Shield combo if needed. The run speed symbol makes a huge difference with the sheer amount of running involved while leveling.

Edited by Zomious, 01 October 2012 - 01:52 AM.

#6 jpg1

jpg1

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 420 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[LOA]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

I'd pick Smite Condition over Judge's Intervention. Aside from that, this build was written very well. Good work.

#7 Palthiron

Palthiron

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:28 PM

The one change I'd make is, in the post-60 section, to swap the 15 Power-line traits for 15 Radiance. You'll get way more damage out of the quick-renewing Justice than you will from the Power, and since your gear is Power-focused anyway, you likely won't miss the 150 Power at level 60+. The 10% against Burning enemies won't be all that useful if you don't have a lot of Burning (given that your burning is on 30 and 45-second cooldowns, respectively), and you can pick up -20% Signet recharge for quicker heals and more Retribution.

Edited by Palthiron, 01 October 2012 - 12:31 PM.

#8 Iratus Mumbo

Iratus Mumbo

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[RAGE]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

I leveled a Ranger to 80 (175 by my math if the cap wasn't 80), and I started a Guardian last night for fun. FIgured I'd log on these forums this morning and ask "Help a Noob Guardian!" but this post did just that. Thanks for a well written write up - Bookmarked!

View Postpattycakechamp, on 29 September 2012 - 03:35 PM, said:

Another side note while running from place to place I swap to a Staff for the swiftness symbol.

Thanks for this tip.. I love switfness and find it almost required to enjoy the game the most I can.  Nothing worse than trying to level in low level areas and the mass of people gets to mob first.  Also love the leap of the greatsword ^_^

#9 Phoebe Ascension

Phoebe Ascension

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:23 PM

Why do you not use Radiance up to 15? The build is based on precision and radiance gives that. Secondly, the utility skill you love so much (the one that gives aoe fire/condition removal) has a very long cd. With this trait (15 points) you get renewed Virtue of resolve, wich is simply amazing in my opinion. Are the traits you choose over it that good?

#10 RushV

RushV

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Echo]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

View Postpattycakechamp, on 29 September 2012 - 03:35 PM, said:

Like the build! Working on leveling a guardian currently so I'll use some of your tips :D  There is one thing I would change though for more experienced players or people who have leveled an alt to 80 and thats changing out a utility slot for Retreat, purely for the swiftness boost. Just a personal play style I choose to use. Helps for when you first get to an area and your discovering areas or when your almost done and you need those couple PoI and Vista's. Another side note while running from place to place I swap to a Staff for the swiftness symbol.

I do this as well. Sometimes I forget to change my secondary weapon set from staff to my combat set as well lol.

View PostAeon77, on 01 October 2012 - 12:04 AM, said:

i've tested that build and surprisingly that build works for me. I do have problem with fiddling with the skillset tho, i'm one of those gamers who usually button-smash. Still learning to micromanage skills in this one.

Just wondering, does that build do well in pvp or wvwvw?

It's good in wvw if you are in a tactical strike group, but I don't recommend it past that. If you are running in a zerg, you aren't going to be as effective as say a support guardian would be.

With some changes to the build it can be effective in sPvP, but you gotta be careful against those condi builds.

View PostSpelignErrir, on 01 October 2012 - 01:09 AM, said:

Nice build, me likey

Thank you :D.

View PostZomious, on 01 October 2012 - 01:52 AM, said:

Well thought out and well written guide. My lvl 40 guardian will find this very useful.

Also as someone else mentioned, its a good idea to have a Staff as a secondary even at the start, and swap to 1H/Shield combo if needed. The run speed symbol makes a huge difference with the sheer amount of running involved while leveling.

Agreed. I take scepter/shield though when I want shield. Can't pass up the damage from sword/torch lol. That's just me

View Postjpg1, on 01 October 2012 - 09:40 AM, said:

I'd pick Smite Condition over Judge's Intervention. Aside from that, this build was written very well. Good work.

Smite Condition doesn't break stun. If you want a quick heal then you can take it, but I chose Judges because it can get you out of a bind.

View PostPalthiron, on 01 October 2012 - 12:28 PM, said:

The one change I'd make is, in the post-60 section, to swap the 15 Power-line traits for 15 Radiance. You'll get way more damage out of the quick-renewing Justice than you will from the Power, and since your gear is Power-focused anyway, you likely won't miss the 150 Power at level 60+. The 10% against Burning enemies won't be all that useful if you don't have a lot of Burning (given that your burning is on 30 and 45-second cooldowns, respectively), and you can pick up -20% Signet recharge for quicker heals and more Retribution.

The armor is for precision/power. Your armor will provide enough precision. 150 power at 60+ is a lot of power, and that is a significant loss of damage. With this build you are fighting large groups of mobs and killing them all at once, so Renewed Justice (the recharge justice on kill) isn't effective with this build. Justice burns are single target, and this build is all about AoE damage.

If you feel it makes your guardian better, than go right ahead. I'm a firm believer in customizing things to how you like them.

View PostIratus Mumbo, on 01 October 2012 - 12:58 PM, said:

I leveled a Ranger to 80 (175 by my math if the cap wasn't 80), and I started a Guardian last night for fun. FIgured I'd log on these forums this morning and ask "Help a Noob Guardian!" but this post did just that. Thanks for a well written write up - Bookmarked!

Thanks for this tip.. I love switfness and find it almost required to enjoy the game the most I can.  Nothing worse than trying to level in low level areas and the mass of people gets to mob first.  Also love the leap of the greatsword ^_^

No problem. There is nothing I like more than helping new players out. Think of this as a template, and don't be afraid to try things out for yourself.

View PostPhoebe Ascension, on 01 October 2012 - 10:23 PM, said:

Why do you not use Radiance up to 15? The build is based on precision and radiance gives that. Secondly, the utility skill you love so much (the one that gives aoe fire/condition removal) has a very long cd. With this trait (15 points) you get renewed Virtue of resolve, wich is simply amazing in my opinion. Are the traits you choose over it that good?

Because I like the extra power for it's guaranteed damage. I think precision build are great, but when you are leveling up it is better to play it safe. If you like the extra precision then go for it. You are also confusing the utility skill in the guide (Judges Intervention) with Smite Condition. Judges Intervention is teleport/stun break/aoe fire damage. Smite Condition is aoe fire damage/condition removal.

If you are looking for a faster healing boost then I do suggest Smite over Judges. But if you want a stun breaker then I suggest Judges. It's just a personal call. I like stun breaker more than faster healing.

The renewing Virtue of Justice from Radiance 15 renews justice on kill. When you play this build you are going to be killing things around the same time. By the time you kill the first mob, the others will be around 15% hp. I preferred leaving my virtue of justice unpopped and having the increased damage every 5 hits.

Again, it's your call on what to spend the extra 15 points in.

Edited by RushV, 04 October 2012 - 05:41 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: guardian, greatsword, pve, leveling, honor, valor

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users