Veldan

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:37 PM

I miss:

1. actual cutscenes, rather than the 2-characters-on-a-static-background crap
2. making builds, there's very few build options in GW2
3. the old elementalist, that had spells that did dmg without a delay / flight time
4. the assassin, that didn't have stealth and initiative bs but instead a nice and innovative skill chain mechanic
5. prot monk
6. proper missions, GW1 missions were among the most fun gameplay I ever saw, and I played like 7 MMOs and lots of other games. GW2 missions are a real joke and suck in comparison.
7. siege turtles and siege devourers
8. dark areas, like the domain of anguish and echovald forest
9. HA
10. GvG

(these were not numbered for priority but just for the sake of numbering)

#152 JONO51

JONO51

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

View PostCutthroat, on 02 October 2012 - 08:13 PM, said:

I miss my friends who used to play.

Damn, right in the nostalgia feels.

#153 ClockworkFur

ClockworkFur

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts
  • Guild Tag:[PRAX]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:44 PM

View PostUssjTrunks, on 06 October 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

Instanced PvE. Open world just isn't my cup of tea.

Personally I go back and forth on this one. I love how inpromptu groups form up and disband as conditions change in an open world, something that was not possible when you had to plan your group/skills etc in the outpost first, but i did appreciate when i was doing solo runs that that killed beasts stayed dead and i didn't get flanked by the respawn rate :P

#154 Fluffy Kittens

Fluffy Kittens

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

1. definitely HA, as it was unique format that no game will ever have, it was quite something and it's a shame they didn't try to somehow revive it in this game
2. original and creative story that didn't include zombies and dragons
3. fact that it wasn't like a standard MMO but something more creative
4. first few years when it was about fun and making the game good, before it all started to be about the money (costumes, etc.)
5. everyone being able to play together, no servers to divide people, not allowing euros and yanks to play together (they had it in start but realized it sucked so they removed it)
6. elite PvE areas actually being hard
7. hero battles

#155 Veldan

Veldan

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:07 PM

View PostAsha2012, on 05 October 2012 - 02:56 PM, said:

Another thing, I also don’t think people fully appreciate how varied you can make your play style.  Variables include:
  • Utility skills chosen

• Healing skill chosen

• Elite skill chosen

• Armor level chosen

• Upgrades chosen

• Runes used

• Main hand weapon chosen

• Offhand weapon chosen

• Two hand weapon chosen

• Which two weapon sets are equipped, which, by the way, grants you a total of ten weapons skills to work with not even considering bullets 1-3 (granted you are level 7 or higher)

• How traits are allocated
You can’t tell me that after only a few months of play, every single possible combination of the above has been tried.  If, by some miracle, they have and players still think there are not enough options, well then I guess it’s back to GW1 for you.

1. the utility skill pools are rather small compared to GW1's huge skill pool

2. there's mostly only like 3 healing skills to choose from, also that you can choose not more and not less than 1 healing skill already greatly limits variety

3. same with elites, they are very few and all have a long cooldown, they don't increase build options much at all. And in fact, I already found 2 classes for which one elite is the way to go atm, because the others are simply worse. Which means it adds 0 variety for those classes.

4. don't really know what you mean here

5/6. These seem to be the same category. The runes and sigils add about as much variety as armor and weapon mods in GW1, which means it doesn't counter the other points.

7/8/9. These are the same point, splitting them up only makes it seem 3 to people with a really low IQ. This is again nothing compared to GW1, half the skill bar means 5 preset skills compared to 4 skills in GW1 which could be chosen from a pool of 100 - 200 skills

10. so this means 2 weapon sets, combinations are still low

Let's look at skill combinations. Assumption: 20 skills per attribute in GW1, 8 attributes, giving 160 skills. Skill combinations: 160*159*158*157*156*155*154*153 = 3,6*10^17
Assumption: 5 weapons, 25 utility skills, 3 healing skills, 3 elite skills
Combinations: 5*4*3*25*24*23*3 = 2,4*10^6

So the amount of skill combinations in GW1 is about 150 billion times the amount of combinations in GW2. This alone should say enough about variety...

11. This is the only point GW2 really has in favor, but it was implemented worse than I expected based on what I heard and saw from before launch. Basically the stats add as much variety as GW1's attributes, only the choosable traits are really something extra. But there are always certain ones you pretty much have to take, like the one that reduces skill cooldown of your main weapon or enhances damage with your main weapon by 10%. So after you know the traits, the variety is actually a lot less than what you could calculate if you assumed all traits are equally useful. This could be improved in time as arenanet balances traits, but years can go by before they are all somewhat equal. Also in regard to the whole argument:  a trait has less impact on build making than choosing an extra skill. This could be  debatable but I say it from my own experience.

TL;DR

GW1 has 150 billion times the skill combinations of GW2, and GW2 has traits. Conclusion: GW2 is a big drop in build variety compared to GW1

EDIT: and in all this I didn't even start about group builds, which would add another massive drop in variety, because of smaller group size, less professions and the drop per individual stated above.

Edited by Veldan, 06 October 2012 - 06:08 PM.

#156 RedStar

RedStar

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1793 posts
  • Location:_________________ (\__/)(\__/) (\__/)Help__ (='.'=)(='.'=)(='.'=)Allie__ (")_(")(")_(")(")_(")Bunny

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:15 PM

View PostVeldan, on 06 October 2012 - 06:07 PM, said:

GW1 has 150 billion times the skill combinations of GW2, and GW2 has traits. Conclusion: GW2 is a big drop in build variety compared

GW1 also had a huge amount of totally useless builds and builds that only differ by one or two skills.

#157 Blazer

Blazer

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:26 PM

I am missing the skills and skill choices of the original Guild Wars.
And ofcourse there were the "META" builds to run, but the fun part was making your own build which could be very effective aswell.
Beforehand I thought I wouldn't mind having no secondary profession meaning less skill combinations in Guild Wars 2. But seeing Combo-skills are just 'meh' and to me a lot of the skills are just plaing boring now. I.e. the warrior utility skills have to be the most boring skills I've ever seen in a MMO. Also Sword mainhand of the warrior is like: bleeding auto attack , a charge and a cripple. 2 of the 3 attacks are in most combat fights useless (talking PVE).

Plus I am missing the feeling of progression. Not only with skills (you may have unlocked all staff necro skills at lvl 4 and you still have the same 5 skills at the next 76 levels), but also armor wise; from level 1 to 35 all the armor you find look a lot alike.

Conclusion: I really hope they will expand their skill system because to me classes get boring very quickly because of te lack of diversity of both weapon skills as utility skills.

Edited by Blazer, 06 October 2012 - 06:26 PM.

#158 kalendraf

kalendraf

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 495 posts
  • Guild Tag:[CV]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:57 PM

I miss the...

Armor - GW1 had some great armor models, especially for casters.

Missions / Story progress in a campaign - I felt like I was part of the story in GW1.  In GW2, I really don't feel like my actions have much impact on the world.

Elementalist - The GW1 version was my favorite class.  I really dislike the GW2 version

Mesmer - The GW1 version was my 2nd favorite class.  I dislike the GW2 version

Ability to mix dyes - I understand the dye implementation is completely different in GW2, but I liked having few overall dyes along with the ability to blend them to achieve colors we liked.

Ability to customize the entire skillbar - Tying half the skills to weapons in GW2 may make balancing easier, but it is a lot more limiting than the GW1 system.

Balance - GW1 seemed to be a lot more balanced, even in the early going than GW2.  That goes for classes, foes, quests/events/missions/etc.

Lack of Bugs - GW1 seemed relatively bug free.  GW2 seems to be plagued with bugs on just about every map that lead to broken skill challenges or stuck DEs.

Edited by kalendraf, 06 October 2012 - 06:58 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: guild wars, original

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users