• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bloodreaver

Bloodreaver

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:37 PM

I laugh at the people who write on these forums saying "GW2 sux because its not like GW1" and "GW2 is dying".  In gameplay mechanics and achievement hunting terms, GW2 absolutely destroys GW1.  And anything that feels lacking, like endgame or lack of skills, can easily be added later.  Seriously people, think of how much was added to GW1 over SEVEN years (the thing that sucked was that it took almost that long for them to implement features that people had been suggested almost from the beginning; separating skills between PvP and PvE just to name one :/   ).   Simply put, they have the potential to add IMMENSE amount of content to the game over time.  There are huge swaths of territory that have nothing in them that they could use for more DE's, and give incentives to go experience those DE's.  They could add the Underworld and Fissure of Woe back into the game.  They could add naval battles, having players on ships shooting other ships with cannons :)

Again, I want to emphasize that GW2 has already succeeded in many ways and it has IMMENSE potential.

The problem is the backwards decisions Anet has made, or where they took the idea "is it fun" and went a good distance with it, but they did not go far enough.  Here are some of those I have thought of:

TL;DR

Requiring money and having to visit a trainer to reset traits SUX
Soul-bound as opposed to Account-bound, in general, SUX

Depositing and Withdrawing from Vault is a PAIN IN THE (you know what)
WvW lets you jump right in but at a huge disadvantage.  Bad for sPvP'ers who like WvW but not PvE.

Game punishes you for failure in low-level content at level 80 cost.  A disincentive for going back to participate in low-level content at a higher level.

Waypoints in low-level areas cost too much when at higher levels, need to be capped lower.  Also, remove cost for traveling from one city to another via waypoint altogether.

Game needs voice chat and/or a way for players to easily group for the rest of content besides DE's.

Still wanna read?:

I hate it that they charge coins to retrain your traits in PvE.  I can understand it for WvW, but not for PvE.  If the reason is "coin sink", they take that idea too far with retraining traits.  I should not be stressed out about making my trait choices, which is what I am now, and it is not fun.  If I normally play a build designed for soloing PvE, and I want to get into a Dungeon group and they need a party support, it will cost me to change to be what they need me to be.  The idea is that anyone can be Damage, Control, or Support.  So why punish people for switching between those roles as needed?  And you do not even have the option of paying the coin and switching in the field, you have to go to a trait trainer to do so.  The more I think about it, the more I feel like it is a kick in the nuts.

This ties in with a WvW problem.  In WvW, a sub-80 character is not as effective as a level 80 because of the lack of traits.  Traits should be unlocked the first or every time you enter WvW, and the trait points should be unspent, so that you can decide how to spend them.  If you want to change them mid-match, you have to go to the trait trainer to change them (to prevent players from switching their builds on the fly to adapt to the situation too easily).  It should be free considering how many other coin sinks their are, but since Anet already went through the trouble to write the code to charge people coins to retrain, I could accept a cost of 5-10 copper per retrain.  That way the cost will add up over time if players retrain often, but it should never stress anyone out over the decision of what they are going to do.

... I suppose you could keep the 5-10 copper cost for PvE as well, but they really need to give PvE the sPvP model for traits and allow complete retraining on the fly, so that PvE'ers can fully enjoy the game by redoing DE's and other PvE content with different builds to see what they like.

I hate the soul-bound mechanic (with the exception of storyline rewards).  One of the things I absolutely hated about GW1 was that when customized, items were bound to a single character on an account.  If you got some good armor on a warrior, but then decided you wanted to delete that character because you made a mistake in character creation, say goodbye to that armor, which REALLY sucked once you got Elite armor or, God-forbid, FoW armor.  Same thing for weapons.  Say you had a Colossal scimitar customized to your warrior, but wanted to see how it looked on your mesmer, sorry, go farm or buy another one buddy in order to do so.  This really sucked when you had a sword with a fiery hilt on it for a Warrior/Elementalist build, and wanted to loan it to your Elementalist to try out a build, but could not because it was customized.  I have no problem with the ACCOUNT-Bound mechanic, it is obviously in place to protect the economy, and I am sure that is the same reason for the soul-bound mechanic, but again, it goes too far.  It is ridiculous that if I have a medium armor set based upon condition damage on one medium armor profession, and I want to try out a condition-based build on a different medium armor profession, I have to go buy a whole new set of armor and deck it out in the exact same setup for that other profession, even though both professions wear the same armor.

Those are the too biggest and most backwards that I wanted to get out of the way, but here are some less annoying errors and lack of features that I wanted to point out:

Another reason I opened with those two peeves is that they set the stage for this one.  At the moment, you can jump into WvW right after the tutorial, but you are at a huge disadvantage.  I just checked, and it does not seem like one can get level 80 armor in WvW except with TONS of badges or until you are level 80, and while in WvW I checked the trading post and level 80 armor said "you must be the required level to use this item".  So it seems like even if I wanted to buy level 80 weapons and armor early to use in WvW, it seems that I cannot.

But even if I could, that armor (if better than blue and un-runed) would be soul-bound to that character, taking up space.  In addition to making most soul-bound items account-bound, they need to have a WvW locker (just like they need a PvP locker) where you could store just one set of each armor type, Heavy, Medium, and Light, and one of each type of weapon (also account-bound), so that any of your characters could use level 80 armor and weapons in WvW (even a character that you never play with in PvE), and in addition to unlocking traits for use in WvW, that would fulfill Anet's poorly executed attempt to get lots of people into the WvW action.

Anet has said that WvW is PvP for PvE'ers.  But what about sPvP'ers who want to play WvW "effectively" without playing through the PvE content to get to level 80?  This would solve that problem.

Lack of Deposit All and Withdraw All option for Account Vault.  GW1 had it, where did it go?  It would not be terrible if you could just type in 100 Gold and deposit or withdraw all of your money (if you have more than 100 gold already, bite me), but no, you must type in EXACTLY what you have to deposit or withdraw, otherwise it does not work.  Also, if you select a slot to type in the amount of money you want to deposit or withdraw, if you do not delete or highlight the zero, then you can only type in one number before it tabs to the next slot, which is incredibly frustrating.

People have pointed out that the game rewards you for taking things slow, but in reality it also punishes you for rushing to level 80.  Any mistake in low-level areas as a lvl 80 costs the same as it would in lvl 80 areas, which is a big disincentive to go back and do low-level content as a lvl 80.  The Fire Elemental in Metrica Province?  Methinks it would pwn even a level 80, and I bet that the reward for beating it would not cover the cost of a full set of damaged or broken armor, or the multiple trips to the closest waypoint.

Same with the cost of waypoint travel.  It seems like a good idea to me to ignore the storyline altogether and play through the zones as low-level as possible in order to keep the waypoint costs low in case you die or want to travel quickly.  There needs to be a lower cap on the cost, particularly for low-level areas.  The cost for travel across a level 1-15 zone should not be above what it would have cost you at level 15.  That is, travel across Queensdale would cap at say 50c, travel from one side of Kessex Hills to the other would cap at 1 silver, etc, so to cross both would cost 1s 50c max, instead of the ever increasing and equal-per-zone amount it is now.

Also, just remove the cost for traversing from a waypoint in one city to a waypoint in another.  This would deal with the problem of having to go through Heart of the Mists and then Lion's Arch to get to a different city.

The game really needs voice chat and/or a way for players to advertise in-game their PvE plans, such as, "will start Metrica Province at 6 pm ET intending to complete" so that players can all meet and systematically go through the zone pwning the monsters and completing Renown Hearts and such, right now it is boring doing it by myself (8x so when doing it for 8 characters with no one else to talk to), which is what it seems like everyone else is doing.  A way to bring people together not just for the DE's, but for the rest of the PvE content as well.

Too tired for any more.

Your thoughts?

*searches for a flameproof suit and seeks cover

Edited by Bloodreaver, 30 September 2012 - 11:38 PM.

#2 NumNumPie

NumNumPie

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:42 PM

Epic post, and I agree with pretty much all of it.

#3 Bloodreaver

Bloodreaver

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:31 AM

Thank you sir!

#4 forthegz

forthegz

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:42 PM

I disagree with alot of this.

"The game really needs voice chat and/or a way for players to advertise in-game their PvE plans"

Pretty sure thats what 3rd party programs like Teamspeak, Ventrilo, Mumble are for. Also its a guild's responsibility to organize its members to "go through the zone pwning the monsters". I don't think they need an 'in-game' system to accomplish this. I think adding an in game voice system, or any more advanced LFG/Chat system will just muddle up something that is simple, sweet and serves its purpose, chatlog.

I disagree with everything you said about the cost of waypoints and the cost of respecing your traits.

In regards to waypoint cost, I really do not care if they cost something or are completely free.. but seeing as you brought it up, I will share my thoughts. No one should be having any kind of trouble paying for waypoints. Gold is easy enough to come by in this game, and waypoints costing something seems completely logical. You are traveling across the entire worldzone instantly... if it were free.. it would kind of feel like cheating. Having to pay for it just makes sense.

Pretty much the same goes for respeccing. I do not think it should be free to respec your traits. This is another thing that is SO CHEAP, I can not see how it is causing anyone problems. If anything is to be changed about it, they should make it MORE expensive to force people to think about their choices. You can always go into SPVP to 'try' something out. Also you said it was like punishing the player for switching between PvE roles. How could a few silver be seen as punishment. Its completely logical to pay for respeccing, and I do not see it as punishment, I gladly pay it. It's cheap as hell.

"So it seems like even if I wanted to buy level 80 weapons and armor early to use in WvW, it seems that I cannot."

I would be really pissed if some level 25 was compeltely = to my level 80 full exotic warrior in WvW. WvW is an OPEN WORLD experience. Its good that they instant you up to 80, but getting your traits or better gear is a ridiculous thing to do in my opinion. It is easy enough to level in this game, and if your character is lesser than mine, so be it. If you want completely equal static characters, go play SPvP.

About everything you said regarding banking, I think its fine that you run around and have to go to your bank to get stuff.. then go to your trainer to re-train. I don't want some instant-all in one-stand in 1 spot- interface. When I have to run errands for my character, like do some banking, or retrain. I want to GO do that. It is part of the game.

Some people forget that these MMO's are GAMES. This is not Second Life, no one wants some communist equal everything.. free retrainers, free waypoints, never spend gold on anything.. all in 1 voice chat-stand in 1 spot bank/train interface system that requires you to DO NOTHING to be on par with people that DO THINGS or are simply better than you.  Remember that this is a video GAME.. some people play it more, some less. Some people are smarter or better and get more gold and better builds/gear and that is EXACTLY how it should be.

#5 Bloodreaver

Bloodreaver

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

@forthegz

Did I say free waypoints?  Did I?  No?  Ok then.  I said that the cost should be lowered, particularly in low-level areas, because you are not earning the same rewards in low-level areas to compensate you if you get defeated.

Maybe it is because I have been leveling up each of my characters mostly evenly (my highest is Thief at level 51, next highest is level 27), I have not been earning that much gold, and what I have been earning, has been going to gems to unlock more Vault space.

I hated Diablo 2's system where you had to know EXACTLY what you wanted to be, because if you made a mistake, you would have to re-roll an entire character.  Guild Wars needs to be as opposite to that as possible.

As to your statement about "go play sPvP if you want to try out traits"...  I DO NOT PLAY SPVP!  I do not want to have to be forced to play a mode I do not care for in order to better enjoy the mode I do.

Also, having to go back to town just to respec my traits in order to try a different build against PvE, and then run all the way back through the zones (or pay a huge amount of silver to get to the zone quickly), ticks me off.

"Some people forget that these MMO's are GAMES".  EXACTLY.  But you have it backwards.  Life, at least in the USA, is not some communist equal everything fiasco, it is a capitalist system where you have to work to get what you want, as it should be.  But I play games to have fun, not to work.

Masochist grind-lovers like you, go back to playing masochistic games.  I am trying to encourage GW2 as far in the "is it fun" model as it can be, that it has already done such a great job of doing.

Edited by Bloodreaver, 01 October 2012 - 02:16 PM.

#6 RabidusIncendia

RabidusIncendia

Seraph Guardian

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1953 posts
  • Server:Sorrow’s Furnace

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:33 PM

This is kind of more of a rant than a suggestion thread.. you're really only supposed to havr exactly one suggestion per thread.  Kind of annoying to read a wall of text and respond to each individual unrelated suggestion.
Fun while it lasted.  I guess.

#7 Raagar Deathclaw

Raagar Deathclaw

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[BOLD]
  • Server:Anvil Rock

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

I agree with all of this, the idea of wp's only costing as much as they did once you reached lvl cap for that area is great. a lower cost for respeccing would also be wonderful.

#8 Reaper3354

Reaper3354

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

View PostBloodreaver, on 01 October 2012 - 02:16 PM, said:

I hated Diablo 2's system where you had to know EXACTLY what you wanted to be, because if you made a mistake, you would have to re-roll an entire character.  Guild Wars needs to be as opposite to that as possible.

Seeing as you don't have to even think of remaking your characters if you '* up', I'd say Anet pulled the 'opposition' off.

As to your statement about "go play sPvP if you want to try out traits"...  I DO NOT PLAY SPVP!  I do not want to have to be forced to play a mode I do not care for in order to better enjoy the mode I do.

You vastly misunderstood this. I believe he means 'go into the Mists, load up your traits, and smack some dummies', as is the standard 'testing' method. You don't actually have to 'play a mode you don't want to'.

Also, having to go back to town just to respec my traits in order to try a different build against PvE, and then run all the way back through the zones (or pay a huge amount of silver to get to the zone quickly), ticks me off.

Every single player in this game has to do the same thing you do. You'll get over it.

"Some people forget that these MMO's are GAMES".  EXACTLY.  But you have it backwards.  Life, at least in the USA, is not some communist equal everything fiasco, it is a capitalist system where you have to work to get what you want, as it should be.  But I play games to have fun, not to work.

No Pain, No Gain. Oh, and nothing in this world is free. Not even in MMOs. Suck it up or go play a lazier game.

Masochist grind-lovers like you, go back to playing masochistic games.  I am trying to encourage GW2 as far in the "is it fun" model as it can be, that it has already done such a great job of doing.

Masochistic? Not sure if you played WoW at all, or even something like Lineage 2, but GW2 is far from 'masochistic'. So we'll stay where we are.

As for making GW2 'fun', all you're doing is crying about your lack of coin saving common sense, and hoping the Devs will up and suddenly make their game a snore-fest simply because YOU aren't having fun.

GW2 is fine by most peoples standards, and nothing you've mentioned in this thread 'needs' to be changed. Rather, it's you that needs to change, and count yourself lucky you're able to play this game for free at all. Stop crying and play the game, if that can't happen, find a game that you CAN play :)

Edited by Reaper3354, 31 January 2013 - 09:41 PM.

#9 RAD

RAD

Indecisive

• Moderators
  • 542 posts
  • Server:Sorrow’s Furnace

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

You definitely have valid concerns, some of which I share with you, however you go about it the wrong way and provide very little on how you would suggest to fix it so you come off a bit as complaining.

And seeing how this is a suggestion forum Im gonna go ahead and lock it up. If you want to add something else or try again just let me know.

Locked.
Something on your mind? Question about Moderation or anything else? Talk to Me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users