• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 mouse24

mouse24

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:40 PM

Anyone else having a hard time ranking up? I have been playing for around 2-3 weeks on and off and I am at rank 9 (mind you with a lot of downtime in between play sessions) I played for around 3-5 hours today in straight nonstop spvp trying to get from level 9 to 10 but I only managed 3/4s of a level.

Am I just doing it wrong?

#2 turbo234

turbo234

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1036 posts
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:43 PM

The levels in pvp aren't meant to be anywhere near as easy to achieve as pve. You're not doing it wrong.

#3 GearsPowered

GearsPowered

Asuran Acolyte

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 102 posts
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:11 AM

If you do free tournaments with friends/people who aren't terrible at SPvP, you'll end up ranking much faster.

1st place gets you 300 glory ontop of all the glory you earn playing each match
2nd place gets you 200 glory ontop of all the glory you earn playing each match
3-4th place gets you 100 glory ontop of all the glory you earn playing each match,

#4 Scotchmist

Scotchmist

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:45 AM

Only 200 of the glory you earn seems to go towards your level and glory boosters only count for your spendable glory, that 50% extra does not contribute to your level. I hadn't noticed it until last night when i took note of my level xp at the match start then checked at the end, it was a Khylo match so my score before bonuses was ~300.

#5 cvnoz

cvnoz

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:52 AM

Get used to it it will only go slower higher you get iam rank 33 i need 15k points per lvl and my guess is next step lvl 39-40 is around 30k points per lvl

#6 turbo234

turbo234

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1036 posts
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:46 AM

View PostScotchmist, on 01 October 2012 - 06:45 AM, said:

Only 200 of the glory you earn seems to go towards your level and glory boosters only count for your spendable glory, that 50% extra does not contribute to your level. I hadn't noticed it until last night when i took note of my level xp at the match start then checked at the end, it was a Khylo match so my score before bonuses was ~300.

Really? I had never bothered to check as I just assumed it added to my rank as well.

#7 UssjTrunks

UssjTrunks

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2615 posts
  • Guild Tag:[BOMB]
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:00 PM

It's meant to be an astronomical grindfest. I'm about to hit rank 14 after about 40 hours of play.

Here are some calculations I did to give you an idea of how long it takes: http://www.guildwars...ssion-too-slow/

If you want to level up quickly, make a thief using one of the gimmick builds. You'll be able to consistently score 200+ points per match. Thieves have the best mobility in the game (meaning you can get to and from points faster than anyone else) as well as the highest burst (meaning you can kill even the toughest of enemies in just a few seconds; it's important to not waste time fighting people when glory farming).

Somebody else in that thread also suggested using an AOE necro to tag as many enemies as possible (and then you get credit for each one when they die).

Camping the trebuchet on Khylo is another good way to farm glory.

Edited by UssjTrunks, 01 October 2012 - 03:06 PM.

#8 Agalvand

Agalvand

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:10 PM

Tips and tricks: Keep queing till you find a good team, very rarely both sides are evenly matched. One always dominates the other.
Aoe all day er day, hit all you can when you can, grab kill points from everyone.
Use movement speed around the map. If its not in your weapons keep the spare in your bags to use out of combat, switch back.
If an enemy is down and you didnt dmg them before so, its not to late. Lay some good hits before theyre stomped and youll get credit.
Watch the flow of teams. If theyre spread out then farm nodes, 20 points for nuetral and capture. Hide, let the enemy take it back if close by, kill them and retake it. Or if its a mosh style, dont go solo, follow them and soak up kill points.
Ress your team, easy 10 points if they just fell.
Dont die! Sling back if youre getting hurt, let the others take the hits until youre safe on health.
Stay IN the point until capped, 2 steps out and you wont get points. Cap a node till its yours then finish off enemys, extra 10.
Always kill champions, lords and trebs, easy and quick.
If a node is being captured hurry up and get in it. Blink, lunge, etc. Step in it even at the last second, 10 points.

I play aoe gs guardian. 300+ point games are normal. Under 250 and something is wrong. I hit 350 cap plenty.

#9 Howl

Howl

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1457 posts
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

What the * are you people talking about ? Tagging people in sPvP ? Leveling your rank ? What's the purpouse of that ? Go back to PvE and lvl an alt, seriously, you don't need to play gimmick builds to score 250+ on hot-joins much less tag people like this is PvE.

#10 Alzun

Alzun

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:25 PM

Its meant to take a while, so no worries there.  I'm rank 17 and my best approxiamition is that I earn (on average) about 600-650 glory every 30 minutes from just hot join sPvP. Right now it takes 4k glory to rank up so it takes about 3 hours of play.  Free tournaments are fun if you're with people that know what the heck they're doing.  Even if you only beat one team you still get a copper chest and 100 extra glory.  Only thing is that (most of the time) the players are skilled and the games can drag on for a while.

Other posters have mentioned ideas on how to get glory but I'll just throw in a few tips:

Fighting away from nodes earns you the "skirmisher" award which is worth 10 glory.  Note, does not work on RotC for some reason.

You can neutralize points much quicker than actually capping.
Tag everything for lots of points.
Kill Svanir/Chietan often.
Man the treb in Khylo.
Play a class with lots of mobility (Thief with shortbow, elementalist, GS warrior)

View PostHowl, on 01 October 2012 - 05:16 PM, said:

What the * are you people talking about ? Tagging people in sPvP ? Leveling your rank ? What's the purpouse of that ? Go back to PvE and lvl an alt, seriously, you don't need to play gimmick builds to score 250+ on hot-joins much less tag people like this is PvE.
But I do need to farm dungeons for good skins, farm DE or whatever for karma and gold so I can purchase gear, farm Orr nodes to make gold, the list goes on and on....

At least PvP is FUN.

#11 mouse24

mouse24

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:32 PM

I'm fairly sure the majority of people (myself included) would just give up long before they get to the rank for the gear the like the look of... I dunno I just don't think people are willing to put in 400+ hours into a game to just get 1 set of gear...

#12 Trixh

Trixh

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1240 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:22 PM

Its not supposed to be feeling like a grind but it is because sPvP is boring as hell. So then you switch to tPvP where it starts to matter if you win or lose. But after about 200 games you start notice it does not matter at all. Your playing against scrubs most of the time and the chests you get are no longer needed since it is still the same crap you got since the first time joining tPvP. And there is no reason to even win in tPvP since there is no track record (ladders etc etc).

Rank 23 and tested what I needed to test and waiting for Ladders.
(Hoping for a BIG patch tomorrow)

Edited by Trixh, 01 October 2012 - 06:28 PM.

#13 UssjTrunks

UssjTrunks

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2615 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:36 PM

PUGs are meant strictly for glory farming and build testing. The serious PvP is meant to be played in tournaments.

View PostAgalvand, on 01 October 2012 - 05:10 PM, said:

hit all you can when you can, grab kill points from everyone.

Just to expand on that.

You don't need to down a target to get credit for the kill. Even if it was your teammates that downed the target, you can still attack them (you usually just need to land 3-4 auto-attacks) while they are downed and get credit for the kill.

Edited by UssjTrunks, 01 October 2012 - 09:41 PM.

#14 Scarlet_Blossom

Scarlet_Blossom

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1411 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:51 PM

Tag people to get more glory to rank up faster to get pretty armor faster. It's simple.

#15 Howl

Howl

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1457 posts
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

View PostScarlet_Blossom, on 01 October 2012 - 09:51 PM, said:

Tag people to get more glory to rank up faster to get pretty armor faster. It's simple.

I know what and why they are doing it, it just makes me want to punch those people in the face, but to each one his own :)

#16 Scarlet_Blossom

Scarlet_Blossom

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1411 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:09 PM

View PostHowl, on 01 October 2012 - 10:02 PM, said:

I know what and why they are doing it, it just makes me want to punch those people in the face, but to each one his own :)

You want to punch people because they want pretty armor earlier rather than later? That's not very nice.

#17 Passive Aggressive

Passive Aggressive

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1316 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SPAM]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:07 AM

I'm rank 17 and I haven't really been doing much pvp. I do it for a day or two and then take a lot of time off.  But yeah it does creep by pretty slowly.  At least it is account rank and not per character so if you want to switch it up with a different class you don't have to start over.

#18 UssjTrunks

UssjTrunks

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2615 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:22 AM

View PostScarlet_Blossom, on 01 October 2012 - 11:09 PM, said:

You want to punch people because they want pretty armor earlier rather than never? That's not very nice.

Fixed. :P

#19 Agalvand

Agalvand

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:04 AM

Woh now, dont make me look bad or something lol. I use plenty of AOE, hitting every enemy that I can. Counts as a "tag." If you don't hit an enemy, you usually wont get points when they die if your team takes care of them and you dont. Can be common in group fights, if you're trying to focus on one person. GS whirl and burning tags, sure, but it also lays down good damage to help in the overall fight. I didnt mean walk up to people, hit them, and run away and let others clean up after you.

And yes, I like pretty armor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users