• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Arcus

Arcus

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:33 PM

Having used Longbow/Shortbow for 50 levels, I want a change to melee. I have been told this is a bad idea, but I’d like to discover that for myself. I tried sword/horn and the sword just doesn’t feel right for me. I really enjoy the greatsword so far.
here is what I have so far:
Marksman 10: Steady Focus
Skirmish 10: Pet’s Prowess
Wilderness: 5
Nature Magic: 5
Beast Mastery:10 Master’s Bond
Troll Ungent/Signet of Stone/QZ/Rampage as One
I won’t list all the gear but I have 4 major runes of divinity and 2 Major Runes of the Ranger and these are my stats
Power 854
Precision 687
Toughness 566
Vitality 612
Crit chance 30%
Hopefully this is enough info for those of you much smarter and better at crunching numbers than I am. What I am hoping to get is some feedback on any glaringly obvious problems I have created in my build.
Thanks to all my fellow rangers in advance who take time out to comment.

#2 riash

riash

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

You know, I'm actually interested to see where this goes. I'll chip in some advice.

The trait allocation looks ok at first glance, but I'd make a few changes to what active traits you are using.

I'd recommend Kenn Edge under Marksman for starters. Since you will be doing melee, you will be taking damage, may as well apply it to make your hits bleed more. You'll get more DPS that way, IMHO.

Next, I'd consider swapping Pet's Prowess for Primal Reflexes. You has less armor than a warrior or guardian, so you are going to need to be dodging more.

Lastly, I think you should change Master's Bond for Commanding voice or Shout Master.

I'd also throw in a "Protect Me" shout that diverts all damage to your pet. Shout "Protect Me" and also activate Stone Signet and I'm guessing all the damage that is diverted to your pet will be negated.

I'd recommend a good support pet over a DPS pet. Fern Hound has healing and has knockdowns, the Raven can blind your enemy and grant you swiftness, and the Blue Moa grants healing and protection.

This is just stuff I thought up off the top of my head, but hopefully it gets you started in the right direction. Let us know how this turns out, I'd be interested to see if you can make a viable melee Ranger build. Good Luck!

#3 Arcus

Arcus

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:20 PM

View Postriash, on 02 October 2012 - 08:23 PM, said:

You know, I'm actually interested to see where this goes. I'll chip in some advice.

The trait allocation looks ok at first glance, but I'd make a few changes to what active traits you are using.

I'd recommend Kenn Edge under Marksman for starters. Since you will be doing melee, you will be taking damage, may as well apply it to make your hits bleed more. You'll get more DPS that way, IMHO.

Next, I'd consider swapping Pet's Prowess for Primal Reflexes. You has less armor than a warrior or guardian, so you are going to need to be dodging more.

Lastly, I think you should change Master's Bond for Commanding voice or Shout Master.

I'd also throw in a "Protect Me" shout that diverts all damage to your pet. Shout "Protect Me" and also activate Stone Signet and I'm guessing all the damage that is diverted to your pet will be negated.

I'd recommend a good support pet over a DPS pet. Fern Hound has healing and has knockdowns, the Raven can blind your enemy and grant you swiftness, and the Blue Moa grants healing and protection.

This is just stuff I thought up off the top of my head, but hopefully it gets you started in the right direction. Let us know how this turns out, I'd be interested to see if you can make a viable melee Ranger build. Good Luck!

Thanks for your response! There are some great suggestions in here. Hopefully we can both get some feedback and learn something.

#4 riash

riash

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

I whipped up a couple of level 80 builds you can try, each on the other extreme of a spectrum.

This first one makes you the main damager with your pet basically just being support/damage sponge: http://www.gw2db.com...|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|

The second one makes your pet do much more, but you end up lacking in the damage output department: http://www.gw2db.com...|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|

Pretty much the idea is: If you're going to use a GS anyway, you may as well spec 20/20 into Wilderness Survival and Nature magic to get the damage bonus and shortened cooldowns on it.

In all honesty the extra 30 point could go anywhere you want, just keep the 20/20 in WS and NM for the GS extras.

No idea if a build like this would be viable in PvE/WvW/Dungeons/sPvP/Whatever, but I'm very interested in your experiment to see how it works out!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ranger, greatsword, build, melee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users