• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Cervin Nightmares

Cervin Nightmares

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:42 PM

ok, so i realize this has probably been beaten into the ground by now, but i'm desperately trying to find a new laptop that won't cost me my left leg.  I see that this laptop looks decent, but would it be able to run guildwars in anything beyond the most simple and ugly settings?

http://www.bestbuy.c...8&skuId=5892069

thanks in advance for advice and help

#2 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:40 PM

View PostCervin Nightmares, on 03 October 2012 - 04:42 PM, said:

ok, so i realize this has probably been beaten into the ground by now, but i'm desperately trying to find a new laptop that won't cost me my left leg.  I see that this laptop looks decent, but would it be able to run guildwars in anything beyond the most simple and ugly settings?

Well nobody else will answer and I am in no way the LT guy but yes it will run the game (with this I mean load the game and log in) and no you will not like it.

#3 chuckles79

chuckles79

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1685 posts
  • Guild Tag:[FANG]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:44 PM

It will barely run it, if at all.  Sorry, gamers pay a premium and gaming laptops are the BMWs of the gaming world

#4 Gladium

Gladium

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DDH]
  • Server:Eredon Terrace

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:45 PM

The most simple and ugly settings really aren't that bad :P

#5 Nitebreed

Nitebreed

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:56 PM

If it has to be a laptop, try an Alienware M14x and just add the extra 2gb to get you 8gb of RAM for about $1074. Now I would always recommend a PC over a Laptop since you can either build it yourself and really build a nice machine inexpensively or go with a pre-built one like a Newegg Powermax. Either way a PC will get you a better processor and Video Card for less money.

But someone else might have a better tip for you. I hope it helps.

#6 SevereEpicz

SevereEpicz

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:59 PM

Its almost the same as my laptop, and mine only plays smoothly on lowest settings. And the lowest settings aren't even that bad.

Edited by SevereEpicz, 04 October 2012 - 12:00 AM.

#7 touch target

touch target

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 12 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Scl]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:06 AM

This will work

#8 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:16 AM

View PostSevereEpicz, on 03 October 2012 - 11:59 PM, said:

Its almost the same as my laptop, and mine only plays smoothly on lowest settings. And the lowest settings aren't even that bad.
Almost the same is not the same and your running smouth is really BS do not make somebody waist their money on something like that by telling them it's ok.

#9 larkin54

larkin54

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:22 AM

you're bottle necked by that sluggish CPU

#10 Gladium

Gladium

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:52 AM

View PostZerk2012, on 04 October 2012 - 01:16 AM, said:

Almost the same is not the same and your running smouth is really BS do not make somebody waist their money on something like that by telling them it's ok.

How do you know it isn't?  Here's my computer's info and it runs smoothly at a little over min:

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i5 2410M @ 2.30GHz 59 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
6.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
LENOVO 1143CTO (CPU)
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics Family

edit: without lookn too much into it, I think my processor is a bit better but his video card is definitely better than my intel integrated.  Mines a thinkpad, so it definitely isn't a gaming laptop.

Edited by Gladium, 04 October 2012 - 07:55 AM.

#11 typographie

typographie

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1805 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:09 PM

I see that this laptop looks decent, but would it be able to run guildwars in anything beyond the most simple and ugly settings?

I think that laptop may handle the game alright, but not above 1366x768 (which I think it must be as a 15.6" laptop). You may be able to eke out a few more detail settings than absolute minimum (i.e. High textures, things like that that have a very slight performance cost), but forget about shadows, reflections and probably shaders. You might also want to look into Sub-sampling on that machine.

Very likely, chaotic combat in dynamic events and WvW with a lot of people around will bring that processor to its knees, regardless of any video-related factors.

View PostGladium, on 04 October 2012 - 07:52 AM, said:

How do you know it isn't?  Here's my computer's info and it runs smoothly at a little over min:

This is why actual numbers are important, rather than using vague words like "smoothly." You may find 20-25 FPS smooth, someone used to getting 45+ can usually tell when they drop below that. Its up to the OP the level of performance they want, but I don't know that that laptop can really expect more than ~30 FPS most of the time when its GPU is allowed to stretch its legs.

#12 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3244 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:14 PM

I see that this laptop looks decent, but would it be able to run guildwars in anything beyond the most simple and ugly settings?
The A8 APUs are capable of running many games quite well, but GW2 is a rather demanding game. However, at 1366x768 (which is what I assume they mean by 720p) GW2 should run fairly well at lower graphics settings. Even the lowest graphics settings look nice in GW2, but I think many of the settings would be medium.
The main problem would probably be during WvW and/or large events where the CPU portion will struggle.
You can only do so much at $480. :)  If that's where your budget lies, you might not find anything much better. The only other choice (in that price bracket) seems to be some Intel CPU with Intel graphics. The Intel CPU might handle WvW and events better than the AMD APU, but the graphics will suck the big one.

Edited by Quaker, 04 October 2012 - 03:23 PM.

#13 Gladium

Gladium

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:39 PM

View Posttypographie, on 04 October 2012 - 01:09 PM, said:

This is why actual numbers are important, rather than using vague words like "smoothly." You may find 20-25 FPS smooth, someone used to getting 45+ can usually tell when they drop below that. Its up to the OP the level of performance they want, but I don't know that that laptop can really expect more than ~30 FPS most of the time when its GPU is allowed to stretch its legs.

Good point. I hover right around 30 FPS, mid 20s in big fights in WvW.  During WvW i notice it, but otherwise I can't complain.  I actually always laugh a little when I see someone in map complaining how they dropped below 80 fps.

#14 Treble

Treble

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2239 posts
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

View PostGladium, on 04 October 2012 - 04:39 PM, said:

I actually always laugh a little when I see someone in map complaining how they dropped below 80 fps.
I don't like dropping below 80 FPS. :P

I have both a lower end PC (Q6600 3.2GHz, GTX 460) that runs between 15-40 FPS, and a high end PC (i5 3570K 4.5GHz, GTX 670 FTW) that runs between 30-120 FPS.

Dropping from 40 FPS to around 15-20 FPS is actually a surprisingly smooth transition. Hardly any stutter, just a bit sluggish.

Dropping from 120 FPS to around 30-40 FPS is a pretty jarring experience, however. The stutter is massive, and it goes from silky smooth to very sluggish in an instant.

I think this is what people mean by the game running better on lower end systems. It really doesn't, it's just that the frame drops are way more noticeable on high end rigs.

#15 Gladium

Gladium

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:47 AM

View PostTreble, on 04 October 2012 - 05:40 PM, said:

I don't like dropping below 80 FPS. :P

I have both a lower end PC (Q6600 3.2GHz, GTX 460) that runs between 15-40 FPS, and a high end PC (i5 3570K 4.5GHz, GTX 670 FTW) that runs between 30-120 FPS.

Dropping from 40 FPS to around 15-20 FPS is actually a surprisingly smooth transition. Hardly any stutter, just a bit sluggish.

Dropping from 120 FPS to around 30-40 FPS is a pretty jarring experience, however. The stutter is massive, and it goes from silky smooth to very sluggish in an instant.

I think this is what people mean by the game running better on lower end systems. It really doesn't, it's just that the frame drops are way more noticeable on high end rigs.

showoff :P

#16 Treble

Treble

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2239 posts
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:08 AM

View PostGladium, on 05 October 2012 - 01:47 AM, said:

showoff :P
Lol no! I actually prefer the lower specs at times. The random lag stutters when turning the screen really makes me miss just playing at a stable FPS.

Edited by Treble, 05 October 2012 - 02:09 AM.

#17 Gladium

Gladium

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:19 AM

View PostTreble, on 05 October 2012 - 02:08 AM, said:

Lol no! I actually prefer the lower specs at times. The random lag stutters when turning the screen really makes me miss just playing at a stable FPS.

ahhh I see what you mean. I thought you were saying once you were used to 120 fps seeing it at 40 was just too bad

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: compatibility, video card, help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users