• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rhoellan Alts

Rhoellan Alts

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:21 PM

First post ever, hope to get some feedback.   I have tried all the classes and surprisingly have landed on the Guardian.  In other games, I typically played hybrid shaman type classes if that gives you any insight into my line of thinking or preference.  

Currently I use scepter and torch and then flip to GS when the stuff hits the fan.  My build is probably bad (Valor primary), so I won't even put it out there.  In PVE, I seem to do really well and can handle veterans a level or 2 above me.  When the crap hits the fan, I can set myself on fire and use number 5 to flame groups down.  All in all, it seems to work for me, but it is a little boring and it feels like I am not good at anything (support, DPS etc.) but I am also not the jack of all trades either.

So- I am interested in staff (support)/ ? builds.  I would like to be able to use the staff and make it so that me and my party are hard to kill (+healing, +boon duration?) and I bring a lot of support to the table.  I understand then that my DPS is never going to be stellar, so the ? is what I am not sure on.  I would like to do something that focuses on AOE damage and helping take down large groups of mobs with fire (+condition?).

Either way, yes I am new to GW2, so it sounds really noob'ish.  That said; I am throwing out what I would "like" and understand that it probably isn't reality, but that maybe someone could enlighten me with their experience!

Lastly-

I chose scepter and staff because I am not a twitch player.  My PC isn't the greatest and it makes timing combos and melee'ing as a primary offensive skill really tough.  I find myself swinging in the air a lot of times because I am not in range.  Sigh.  Anyways, any help (with examples of builds, gear, runes etc.) would be greatly appreciated!

#2 Dal Minjo

Dal Minjo

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[TMKT]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:04 AM

I run a build @level 80 thats similar to what you're talking about, I go gs/staff. you can have a good balance of damage and support with gs/staff, and swinging in the air and missing isn't usually an issue if you're just doing PvE now if you do the 4-3 combo for whatever enemy you want to focus. basically my build (i'll post it later, my computer with GW2 on it is on strike) is meant to do as much damage with the GS to mobs first, then heal myself with the healing signet skill and others with some shouts

As for the staff, make sure you put 30 points in valor for your traits for Altruistic Healing so when you use Empower you'll get a self heal for each pulse (since you're applying boons to allies, if there are some around) + the non-traited heal at the end.

pre-80 gear isn't very important for a guardian, just find whatever loots you can get from enemies and personal story and you'll be fine (or do crafting, though I always just sold mats for gold). at 80 you should get either cleric gear if you're going a more support-ish route, or mix it up between cleric and knight if you are taking the middle road in terms of support/damage.

Edited by Paux8uwin, 04 October 2012 - 12:05 AM.

#3 Ojimaru

Ojimaru

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • Guild Tag:[HIRE]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:25 AM

Sadly, the two best AOE weapons of a Guardian is the Greatsword and Hammer. If you plan to go ranged as Guardian, well...

WIth Staff/Sceptre+Torch, you'll be able to stay long ranged for single targets and mid-range for AOE with the Staff. With that in mind, I would go for Symbolic Power (increased Symbol damage) and Writ of Exaltation (Increased Symbol size), augment my damage with the Sword of Justice, which is also buffed by a Fire Inside (Spirit Weapons cause Burning) and Eternal Spirit (Spirit Weapons are not destroyed when commanded). This allows me to use the Sword of Justice to apply AOE Burn with its Command function, hence, with other sources of Burn, increase my Guardian's personal damage with Fiery Wrath (increased damage on Burning targets) and Radiant Power (increased damage on targets afflicted with Conditions).

When using the Staff in combat, never underestimate the damage output of Orb of Light and Symbol of Swiftness. The former I tend to send through packs of mobs and not detonate it. Without detonation, the recharge of Orb of Light is actually very fast for its damage, i.e. 2x Staff auto-attack, a 3s recharge and hits unlimited enemies in a straight line of 1200 range.

#4 Rhoellan Alts

Rhoellan Alts

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:17 AM

Sorry, I find the descriptions on a lot of skills and traits hard to understand and it makes it difficult to know what is good a must have and will truly compliment a build.  

Symbols are larger.  How much larger?  Greatsword attacks heal you.  How much?  Sigils passive effects are increased.  How much?  Summoned weapons can now be on fire.  How much does the fire do? Etc.

There is a trait that gives 15% critical by using 1 hand weapons.  Then a skill that gives peeps might for critical hits.  Would a scepter qualify for the crits and still give might?  Is there anything (skills) that improve the #2 scepter skill?  Anything besides the 5% increase for the #1?

Also, is the whole summoned sword thing worth the investment to add fire damage (which makes sense), extend the duration, lower the re-cast time and increase the damage?  

If I stayed scepter/torch, what type of skills/traits should I use for good damage and better support?  I thought I could work in the summoned sword thing as additional DPS, but again don't know if it worth it.

Any other suggestions?

View PostPaux8uwin, on 04 October 2012 - 12:04 AM, said:

As for the staff, make sure you put 30 points in valor for your traits for Altruistic Healing so when you use Empower you'll get a self heal for each pulse (since you're applying boons to allies, if there are some around) + the non-traited heal at the end.

This is interesting, what all qualifies as a boon?  If I crit and give might to nearby allies, will it heal me then?  Sorry, like I said; I am a total noob.

#5 Dal Minjo

Dal Minjo

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[TMKT]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:35 PM

View PostRhoellan Alts, on 04 October 2012 - 05:17 AM, said:

This is interesting, what all qualifies as a boon?  If I crit and give might to nearby allies, will it heal me then?  Sorry, like I said; I am a total noob.

yes, you'll heal yourself with crits with that trait, but the trait has a hidden cooldown of about 1 second so if you make 2 crits in one second it will only heal once. using Empower on your staff will proc each heal though i believe, which is why that trait + that skill go hand in hand if you're looking for a self healing build like that.

#6 Ojimaru

Ojimaru

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • Guild Tag:[HIRE]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:41 PM

Symbols are larger.  How much larger?
50% larger. What does this even mean? Best head to the Heart of the Mists and test them out.

Greatsword attacks heal you.  How much?
Approximate 70 per hit at level 80 with no Healing Power.

Sigils passive effects are increased.  How much?
If I remember the number right, it was 50 points to whatever bonus given, with the exception of Signet of Resolve, which removes 2 Conditions every 10 seconds, instead of 1.

Summoned weapons can now be on fire.  How much does the fire do?
Fire Inside causes attacks from the Sword of Justice and Hammer of Justice to apply Burning on enemies hit. Burning does 328 damage per second at level 80 with 0 Condition Damage, and scales all the up to 678 damage per second with 1400 Condition Damage.

There is a trait that gives 15% critical by using 1 hand weapons.  Then a skill that gives peeps might for critical hits.  Would a scepter qualify for the crits and still give might?
Yes.

Is there anything (skills) that improve the #2 scepter skill?  Anything besides the 5% increase for the #1?
If you're referring to the Zeal Major Trait Sceptre Power (+5% Sceptre Damage) then it affects both Orb of Wrath (Sceptre #1) and Smite (Sceptre #2). If your

Also, is the whole summoned sword thing worth the investment to add fire damage (which makes sense), extend the duration, lower the re-cast time and increase the damage?
The Sword of Justice, when fully Traited does significant damage. But it's still a Utility skill with a Cooldown and you still need to rely on your regular weapons.

If I stayed scepter/torch, what type of skills/traits should I use for good damage and better support?  I thought I could work in the summoned sword thing as additional DPS, but again don't know if it worth it.
If you're looking for additional DPS from Utility skills, especially while staying at range, then the Sword of Justice (with reduced cooldown and increased duration) is a good choice. I have already outlined my thoughts on the Sceptre/Torch above.

#7 Rhoellan Alts

Rhoellan Alts

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:01 PM

You (Ojimaru) are awesome.  Thanks!!!!!

So do you have a ranged DPS build already or even a ranged support build?  I keep hearing staff, but it seems like it doesn't do any DPS...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users