• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Which profession for farming (magic find)?

farming farm magic find profession

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Dank Rafft

Dank Rafft

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • Guild Tag:[KUH]
  • Server:Elona Reach

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:30 AM

Hi there,

I started a new toon to make it my farming and fast traveling (swiftness) character. I picked the ranger but now I wonder if this was the right choice. I considered that it would be easy to equip all MF gear, let the pet do the tanking and dish out some ranged damage.

Is my choice the right coice or are there better professions for this purpose?

Thanks in advance.

#2 Hypernucleus

Hypernucleus

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:02 AM

Rangers lack in the swiftness department, pretty much every other class can get perma swiftness, we get 15sec/out of 35 sec and a 10% passive movement speed signet.  There are better options for perma swiftness like thief and engineer.

#3 Dank Rafft

Dank Rafft

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:06 AM

View PostHypernucleus, on 04 October 2012 - 10:02 AM, said:

Rangers lack in the swiftness department, pretty much every other class can get perma swiftness, we get 15sec/out of 35 sec and a 10% passive movement speed signet.  There are better options for perma swiftness like thief and engineer.
Thanks for your reply. I think perma-swiftness isn't necessary. I'm fine with the signet and the warhorn swiftness.

On the other side, are thief and engineer in terms of farming similarly, equally or more effective with MF gear as the ranger?

Edited by Dank Rafft, 04 October 2012 - 10:12 AM.

#4 zwits

zwits

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:31 AM

I think the ranger pet (especially the bear-type ones) is very helpful with farming, also with tanking multiple targets..
You can tank veterans without taking damage yourself and it's easy to kite multiple mobs...

I used a longbow / axe-axe build and it's really good for killing more then one mob at once and tagging mobs in dynamic events.

#5 ukgamer23

ukgamer23

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

Ranger AOE is crap. Im  a level 80 ranger and its terrible.
We have alot of AOE options on long CD's, which either suck for damage or just dont hit fast enough. Also no pets will tank in Orr, you rarely see any rangers using "tank" pets because they dont. Spiders, devourers etc are the pet of choice, as the mobs are always running after YOU.

Engineer have a TON of 0 CD powerful AOE (mines, grenades, bombs, flamethrower etc)
Elementalist have that rain fire spell, obviously loads more but thats the one I see the most.

Edited by ukgamer23, 04 October 2012 - 02:01 PM.

#6 Dank Rafft

Dank Rafft

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:06 PM

View Postukgamer23, on 04 October 2012 - 02:00 PM, said:

Ranger AOE is crap. Im  a level 80 ranger and its terrible.
We have alot of AOE options on long CD's, which either suck for damage or just dont hit fast enough.
How about traps? They seem pretty solid (low CD and decent AoE damage). I found this build: http://www.gw2db.com...rolling-trapper

#7 Drekor

Drekor

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1619 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TSP]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

Warrior, Guardian or Engineer are the best farmers

#8 Dank Rafft

Dank Rafft

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

View PostDrekor, on 04 October 2012 - 08:09 PM, said:

Warrior, Guardian or Engineer are the best farmers
Would you mind to explain your statement?

#9 Drekor

Drekor

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1619 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TSP]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:40 PM

View PostDank Rafft, on 04 October 2012 - 08:23 PM, said:

Would you mind to explain your statement?
Sure,

Warriors have very high base damage abilities all of which hit multiple targets(Dual axe + GS is very good for this). They are also naturally durable so wearing explorer gear really isn't a big deal.

Guardians are much like warriors, good direct damage AoE abilities baked into their weapons (staff and GS ideal here) and have some strong defensive abilities to offset explorer gear.

Both of the above can go from orr DE farming with 50 people to solo farming really without issue.

Engineers are extremely good at orr DE farming since both flamethrower and grenades make tagging mobs incredibly easy since they have very rapid AoE with no cooldown and high damage. I don't find them as good solo as warriors or guardians though.

#10 Dank Rafft

Dank Rafft

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:44 PM

Thanks! I really appreciate your replys.

So I will stick to guardian since I played warrior since release and got bored a bit. :)

#11 KodiakX

KodiakX

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:23 AM

View PostDrekor, on 04 October 2012 - 09:40 PM, said:

Engineers are extremely good at orr DE farming since both flamethrower and grenades make tagging mobs incredibly easy since they have very rapid AoE with no cooldown and high damage. I don't find them as good solo as warriors or guardians though.

Definitely can back this up.  I have an 80 Engineer and while it's great for group play or DE farming (Flame Thrower spec works great with Explorers cause it has a truckload of Power/Precision/Toughness baked in) but man it's terrible solo.  Easily the second worst solo character I've played yet (with Ele taking the lead).

#12 Bard

Bard

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:41 AM

Well i don't know about gear but the highest magic find food (40%) has a requirement to be under a boon and only guardians are under boons all the time. If you're not a guardian the highest mf food gives 34% i think.

#13 Dank Rafft

Dank Rafft

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:49 AM

View PostBard, on 06 October 2012 - 02:41 AM, said:

Well i don't know about gear but the highest magic find food (40%) has a requirement to be under a boon and only guardians are under boons all the time.
My warrior is under boons all the time, too. That's no problem. :)

#14 eFU

eFU

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

Well i don't know about gear but the highest magic find food (40%) has a requirement to be under a boon and only guardians are under boons all the time. If you're not a guardian the highest mf food gives 34% i think.

Engineers too can always be under the effects of the boon all of the time (as long as the player is attentive)

Spec in the vitality trait (Alchemy I think), at least 20 points. The trait increases your boon duration, plus you can pick two trait bonuses (not sure what this is called) that increase the duration of your Elixers by 20% and decreases the cooldown of your elixers by 20%.

With 30 points in the alchemy tree, the engineer can use Elixer B, and he can have might for 38 seconds, while Elixer B's CD is only 32 secs. So the engineer can permanently be under the effects of Might. Add pirate runes to increase the might duration if you want a longer might duration.

Or alternatively, engineers can use other skills that give out boons to always be under the effects of boons (such as the goggles and other elixers). Plus, the toolbelt skill of the engineer also gives boons, which the engineer can use to have boons all of the time without adding a point in the alchemy tree.

So being under the effects of a boon is no biggie for an engineer at least (as long as he specs it a certain way and as long as the engineer's attentive).

Edited by eFU, 09 October 2012 - 05:40 PM.

#15 The_Tree_Branch

The_Tree_Branch

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:55 PM

Eles can also be under boons all the time. When I was running staff, I had Fire 30 with the trait ability that every time I cast a fire spell, I get Might for x amount of seconds. Running pirates MF gear which extends duration of Might. Wasn't a problem really. However, I've had better luck tagging with d/d and switched builds. Could still get 100% boon coverage during fights tho if I wanted.

#16 tornado64

tornado64

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:57 PM

With the right runes probably every class can have perma swiftness, so no problem about fast travelling regardless which class you have. But for farming I would also suggest Warrior or Guardian. Personally I think Warrior is the best farm class atm.

#17 Lemuux

Lemuux

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:56 AM

anything but mesmers...we suck BAD at farming DE in orr...cant tag enough mobs since we lack aoe....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: farming, farm, magic find, profession

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users