150 replies to this topic

#1 Jinxified

Jinxified

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:53 PM

nevermind this

Edited by Jinxified, 18 January 2013 - 11:25 AM.

#2 TheDemonicSpirit

TheDemonicSpirit

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:05 PM

View PostJinxified, on 04 October 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

ok im sure this has been posted 1000+ times, but i heard in some places that dual axe has higher dps than greatsword... now i would like more than everything to go hipster and use dual axe instead of gs, yet it seems that hundred blades is just ass kicking, especially with "forceful greatsword" trait causing it to be only like 6 seconds cd. so can anyone tell me if dual axes really do have dps higher than greatsword, and explain why?

Honestly , I use both of them to launch a deadly attacks on my foes.

#3 Jinxified

Jinxified

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:25 PM

View PostTheDemonicSpirit, on 04 October 2012 - 05:05 PM, said:

Honestly , I use both of them to launch a deadly attacks on my foes.
yeah but ill be taking only one of the sets because my second set will be ranged (prob longbow) so i need to choose only one.

#4 Quilliam

Quilliam

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:29 PM

Play with both for a bit to decide keeping alt in pack.  I started GS then moved axe so I could move while hitting. Then I went sword and horn for swiftness. Now I've moved on to banners alowing me to sword shield (I'll axe shield some soon also).  

Though banners is tough for me now because Ive gone soft from my earlier signet build!

In the end it's all a personal choice. I think you'll be just as happy axe axe if that's what you want.

#5 Jinxified

Jinxified

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:38 PM

View PostQuilliam, on 04 October 2012 - 06:29 PM, said:

Play with both for a bit to decide keeping alt in pack.  I started GS then moved axe so I could move while hitting. Then I went sword and horn for swiftness. Now I've moved on to banners alowing me to sword shield (I'll axe shield some soon also).  

Though banners is tough for me now because Ive gone soft from my earlier signet build!

In the end it's all a personal choice. I think you'll be just as happy axe axe if that's what you want.

yes i know the axe/axe is fun, but i see with gs when i use 100blades it builds up to 1600-1800 crit on the final hit and im only lvl 30... i know axe has much more mobility but im asking if:
the mobility is really that important?
the axe/axe has more dps than gs like i heard in some places?
and does axe/axe have more survivability? (also a major issue- i die alot while using the greatsword)

#6 Naekuh

Naekuh

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TPAD]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:07 PM

View PostJinxified, on 04 October 2012 - 06:38 PM, said:

yes i know the axe/axe is fun, but i see with gs when i use 100blades it builds up to 1600-1800 crit on the final hit and im only lvl 30... i know axe has much more mobility but im asking if:
and does axe/axe have more survivability? (also a major issue- i die alot while using the greatsword)

I used the Axe until lvl30... yes i have to agree with you, the GS at earily lvls is you trying to face tank naked.

AT lvl30 tho, when traited somewhat right, you notice nothing lives a HB from a greatsword.
Hence why most of us say GreatSword at lvl30 and dont look back.

The Axe used to be my favorate in Beta Weekends.
Lets admit it.. when u see a 27k Eviscorate one poping almost anyone in PVP it had to put a smile on your face.
Unfortunately Anet didnt think so, neither did the poor fools who took that eviscerate from you.

I would say the AXE was nerfed to hell and back to the point where its almost not worth it.
Your better off with a horn in the offhand for mobility when your going after map completions, and your better off with a rifle during a champion boss fight to break away from face tanking.

#7 gustavxiii

gustavxiii

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

i think GW has more survivability than axe/axe becuase skill 3 lets you run away if necessary.  nothing in axe/axe lets you escape.

#8 Chesham

Chesham

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:48 PM

I run axe + WH and I love every second of it. Damage-wise, I think GS is going to beat pretty much everything, but axe + axe prolly has comparable damage. I would almost use axe + axe because I really like axe 5, but the CD is so long on it it just annoys me to no end. :/

Edited by Chesham, 04 October 2012 - 10:52 PM.

#9 Beta Sprite

Beta Sprite

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1325 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:01 PM

I use hammer with shouts.  It has AoE, weakness, and control.  Keeping weakness on a boss for 90% of the time greatly reduces their damage.

Although, to be honest, I haven't done much GS or A/A, so I can't really analyze those.

#10 Washi

Washi

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RL]
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:03 AM

yes i know the axe/axe is fun, but i see with gs when i use 100blades it builds up to 1600-1800 crit on the final hit and im only lvl 30...
The damage you see is not for the last hit, it's for the entire combo. When you realize that, you will see that you do comparable damage with your axe just autoattacking. GS does more damage with all the traits, but with axes you can pick whatever traits you want and you still do alot of damage.

#11 RecentlyTaken

RecentlyTaken

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • Guild Tag:[sF]

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

That numbers that pop up during 100b are the sum of all your hits, not each hit getting progressively more damage.

It should be really easy to tell, just compare the amount of damage you "think" your getting to your autos

#12 Red_Falcon

Red_Falcon

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2417 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:59 AM

Mainhand Axe is the closest DPS you can get to GS.
If you pull off a build with 30 Discipline for Evis spamming/crit dmg and +10% crit dmg on axes trait you can get some serious DPS.

Offhand Axe are the 2 worst skills we have.
Dual strike hits for joke damage while giving Fury which we can already keep up indefinitely, Whirling Axe hits for even more joke damage and is more of an adrenaline builder than anything.

#13 Jinxified

Jinxified

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:14 PM

View PostWashi, on 05 October 2012 - 09:03 AM, said:

The damage you see is not for the last hit, it's for the entire combo. When you realize that, you will see that you do comparable damage with your axe just autoattacking. GS does more damage with all the traits, but with axes you can pick whatever traits you want and you still do alot of damage.

View PostRecentlyTaken, on 05 October 2012 - 09:42 AM, said:

That numbers that pop up during 100b are the sum of all your hits, not each hit getting progressively more damage.

It should be really easy to tell, just compare the amount of damage you "think" your getting to your autos

yes i know its the sum, and yet its alot of dmg for a 6 second cooldown skill (with the forceful greatsword trait)
i thought about going 20/20/20/0/10 with the greatsword. do you think that might get me some balance between damage and survivability?

#14 TheBlueFish

TheBlueFish

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

View PostRed_Falcon, on 05 October 2012 - 10:59 AM, said:

Offhand Axe are the 2 worst skills we have.
Dual strike hits for joke damage while giving Fury which we can already keep up indefinitely, Whirling Axe hits for even more joke damage and is more of an adrenaline builder than anything.

You must be joking. I have traited A/A @ lvl 62, my Whirling axe is very comparable to HB in terms of final damage. I run A/A, GS, and Rifle for dungeons, switching out a weapon depending on the fight. Usually if I'm going melee in a fight, I do both A/A and GS. Being able to switch between two heavy-hitting AoE weapons is amazing so long as ranged isn't a concern to you. However in PvE and plenty of dungeon fights, I really need both the mobility and full AoE of A/A. Getting stuck in one spot each time I want to attack is deadly.

#15 Red_Falcon

Red_Falcon

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2417 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

View PostTheBlueFish, on 05 October 2012 - 01:46 PM, said:

You must be joking. I have traited A/A @ lvl 62, my Whirling axe is very comparable to HB in terms of final damage. I run A/A, GS, and Rifle for dungeons, switching out a weapon depending on the fight. Usually if I'm going melee in a fight, I do both A/A and GS. Being able to switch between two heavy-hitting AoE weapons is amazing so long as ranged isn't a concern to you. However in PvE and plenty of dungeon fights, I really need both the mobility and full AoE of A/A. Getting stuck in one spot each time I want to attack is deadly.

Bolded keywords.

At lvl 80, Whirling Axe deals 3-4k at best over 4s, pretty much the lowest DPS skill we have.
Axe auto deals the same damage in half a second, HB deals 10-20k, Whirling Attack (GS) deals the same instant, etc.
Whirling Axe @ 80 is a joke and so is Dual Strike which deals less damage than one autoattack hit.

#16 Naekuh

Naekuh

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:26 PM

my HB hits 10-13k at start burst with 0 adren.
As i build up adren + might from traits as well as vulnerability which the GS traits give, i can hit upwards to 24-26k on crits with HB against greneth.

20k is considered "average" for a geared warrior with HB.

The Axe will NEVER beat a GS.
You can live in africa and stay in the river called Denial all you like.

when they gimp'd eviscerate to do about half the dmg it normally did, it really threw the axe out the window as an end game weapon.

I was in the same boat as u guys until BWE3, when all the nerf's were rolled out.
I also noticed all the new warriors doing Axe Axe as well, they were all thinking like me.. axe =OP... one shot everyone with eviscerate OP~..  

We found out quickly how NOT Op the Axe was compared to the GS after the Axe lost its luster when eviscerate got NERF'd to hell.

Edited by Naekuh, 05 October 2012 - 05:28 PM.

#17 Xaragoth

Xaragoth

Vanguard Scout

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 396 posts
  • Guild Tag:[HuHu]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:28 PM

Greatsword for Events, Axes for Dungeons. Because I tend to whirl off cliffs D:

#18 Jinxified

Jinxified

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:37 PM

View PostNaekuh, on 05 October 2012 - 05:26 PM, said:

As i build up adren + might from traits as well as vulnerability which the GS traits give, i can hit upwards to 24-26k on crits with HB against greneth.

when they gimp'd eviscerate to do about half the dmg it normally did, it really threw the axe out the window as an end game weapon.

I was in the same boat as u guys until BWE3, when all the nerf's were rolled out.
I also noticed all the new warriors doing Axe Axe as well, they were all thinking like me.. axe =OP... one shot everyone with eviscerate OP~..  

We found out quickly how NOT Op the Axe was compared to the GS after the Axe lost its luster when eviscerate got NERF'd to hell.

yeah i guess they just made warrior weapons way unbalanced in terms of damage. im just waiting for the day that hammer will get buffed, because i like the skills alot but its too slow and every skill does the same damage as the auto attack.

#19 tarquin

tarquin

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:45 PM

View PostNaekuh, on 05 October 2012 - 05:26 PM, said:

twaddle.

test on mist dummies, you'll discover that axe auto-attack is similar to the average dps of greatsword auto-attack and hundred blades (because you can't hundred blades 24/7).

furthermore, eviscerate can still crit for over 7k on 'squishy' mobs and that's INSTANT damage and my warrior is mostly wearing lvl 74 greens with exotic weapon.  although you do gain some things from GS such as the evasive whirlwind and a couple of superior traits.  but overall they are about the same (when i fully trait for GS and try it, the damage seems slightly lower than axe if anything - not to mention the enormous amount of freedom you get with axe where you're not rooted to the spot 50% of the time).

however i do agree that offhand axe is kinda crappy.  the dps of the whirling axe attack is low, i would take sword for the ranged attack and block (better than shield imo because much shorter cooldown and therefore you can block the obvious massive boss hits more often), mace is also a good option for the CC and i wouldn't rule out shield or warhorn either...  any offhand is better than axe imo.

also,  re: to the poster above me, never underestimate CC effects....  if hammer had comparable damage to greatsword then noone would use greatsword because hammer has about a million stuns.

Edited by tarquin, 05 October 2012 - 05:52 PM.

#20 Naekuh

Naekuh

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:50 PM

View Posttarquin, on 05 October 2012 - 05:45 PM, said:

also,  re: to the poster above me, never underestimate CC effects....  if hammer had comparable damage to greatsword then noone would use greatsword because hammer has about a million stuns.

not more then a shield + Mace...
You get a interupt + stun on the mace if traited, plus another stun on the shield, and a block stun as well.
the hammer just cant beat the Mace + Shield if your after control / defense.

And my numbers arent testing on dummies... there live numbers on Greneth direct.
I kill everything in cursed shore with just about 1 combo... if they survive its 1 normal swing to finish them.

And your eviscerate used to do 14k dmg at your lvl and stats b4 nerf.
Do you see why we were all upset at the axe nerf's?

Ive even seen screenshots of people poping 45k eviscerate b4 nerf's happened, with my jaw dropping going OMFG.

Edited by Naekuh, 05 October 2012 - 05:51 PM.

#21 tarquin

tarquin

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

View PostNaekuh, on 05 October 2012 - 05:50 PM, said:

not more then a shield + Mace...
You get a interupt + stun on the mace if traited, plus another stun on the shield, and a block stun as well.
the hammer just cant beat the Mace + Shield if your after control / defense.

And my numbers arent testing on dummies... there live numbers on Greneth direct.
I kill everything in cursed shore with just about 1 combo... if they survive its 1 normal swing to finish them.

And your eviscerate used to do 14k dmg at your lvl and stats b4 nerf.
Do you see why we were all upset at the axe nerf's?

Ive even seen screenshots of people poping 45k eviscerate b4 nerf's happened, with my jaw dropping going OMFG.

errrrrr....  

axe was clearly overpowered so they fixed it, but that doesn't automatically mean that it sucks.  maybe you should test something properly before crucifying it.

#22 Naekuh

Naekuh

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:00 PM

View Posttarquin, on 05 October 2012 - 05:58 PM, said:

errrrrr....  

axe was clearly overpowered so they fixed it, but that doesn't automatically mean that it sucks.  maybe you should test something properly before crucifying it.

It was the only way to keep it competitive in DPS against the GS.
Now its gone, there is nothing competitive against the GS.

This is what were trying to get across.
The GS has bigger and greater DPS numbers.  I wish people would just understand that.
If you like the game play of the AXE, then dps numbers doesnt matter.
But when most people come here and ask for advice, its not gameplay, but more DPS numbers.

Telling someone the AXE can be competitive against the GS is just plain wrong.
If both are playing the weapon as it should be, the GS will have a higher DPS end value over an axe any day of the week.

#23 Yawz

Yawz

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

GS & A/A are both great weapon sets for similar purposes. When going for personal DPS, GS will probably be the best. A/A isn't TOO far behind though. Lately I've been use A/M and simply love it. 18 stacks of vulnerability single target and 8 stacks of AoE vulnerability and an AoE knockdown still while doing great damage. Too good for group play imo

#24 Naekuh

Naekuh

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:37 PM

Greatsword HB combo...
Posted Image

id like to see numbers close to that on a Axe...

Edited by Naekuh, 05 October 2012 - 10:39 PM.

#25 Stigma

Stigma

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TCG]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:53 PM

GS is insane dmg, but it's stationary and w/o frenzy, the combo won't finish before the person gets out of whatever CC you had placed on him. A decent to good range DPS can burst a GS warrior down pretty fast. In PvE, HB gets you all the aggro and u can get KOed by elites/bosses pretty fast w/o a guardian to support you.

Edited by Stigma, 05 October 2012 - 10:54 PM.

#26 Jinxified

Jinxified

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

i did a test, and it goes like this:
HB usually doesnt finish an enemy with a single blow, right? so you need to finish him with the auto attack, which is slow and pretty weak.
so i took a gs and an axe both same lvl and rarity and both "honed", and i went to some fireflies. i used a stopper and tried these 2 combos:
1. axe spamming auto attack
2. gs HB+ auto attack to finish.
i did several tries and in almost each one, axe came out 7.1 secs from start to kill, and gs 7 to 7.6 secs from start to kill.
with gs to normally kill a monster you need to go HB on him, then whirlwind attack, then turn around and walk to him (because whirlwind attack gets you a little far from him) and finish him off with auto attack.
in lets say axe/mace, you go crushing blow+cyclone axe to get some vulnerability on, and then chop chop chop and he's dead. plus you can knock him down with tremor.plus you can move. plus altough nerfed, eviscerate could get some decent damage too.
could it be that axe/mace is actually more efficient than greatsword?

Edited by Jinxified, 05 October 2012 - 11:02 PM.

#27 Naekuh

Naekuh

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:08 PM

View PostJinxified, on 05 October 2012 - 11:00 PM, said:

could it be that axe/mace is actually more efficient than greatsword?

if im hitting for greneth for 21K..  (look at screen shot)
do you honestly think i wont kill anything with 1HB?   >.<

Edited by Naekuh, 05 October 2012 - 11:08 PM.

#28 Jinxified

Jinxified

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:25 PM

View PostNaekuh, on 05 October 2012 - 11:08 PM, said:

do you honestly think i wont kill anything with 1HB?   >.<
if you can tell me that you can kill ANY non veteran mob with 1 HB then im taking gs and never going back.

#29 Dank Rafft

Dank Rafft

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • Guild Tag:[KUH]
  • Server:Elona Reach

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:27 PM

View PostNaekuh, on 05 October 2012 - 11:08 PM, said:

This is hardly surprising because this is just a priest of Grenth. If you'd face Grenth you were dead. :D

#30 Jinxified

Jinxified

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:59 PM

i was thinking about this build for axe/mace
http://www.gw2build....0.20.10.20.0.20
any comments?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users