Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

New Bugs...

bug

  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Dreamwalk888

Dreamwalk888

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:02 AM

Why is it that after every maintenance they seem to break something new. Ive been running all the explorable paths of TA for the last week and they have worked fine, we encountered a dc bug on vevina once a few days ago, but the next time we tried her it she died just fine.

Now today after the maintenance, which i can only assume is intended to repair the broken parts of the game, they managed to break the forward>forward path of TA. Upon completion we received nothing, no money no reward no acknowledgement that the dungeon had been completed.

I know this is just one example and I get that there are bugs when a game launches, but why the hell do new ones keep popping up all over the place. This is a rampant problem with this game so far. Is the code so sensitive that if you change anything its going to break something else?

I dont know how they are ever doing to get around to adding content if they keep adding new bugs into the game. I mean they are just making little changes that are causing a whole mess of bugs imagine what happens when they actually try to add new content! Man, its going to be rough. Im really loosing my confidence in the anet coders atm.

I mean i can deal with little bugs, but why is this one dungeon just a big cock block now? I mean seriously wtf are they doing that is constantly *ing up other areas of the game.

#2 Arewn

Arewn

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1068 posts
  • Location:Ontario, Canada
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:06 AM

Just the way the cookie crumbles... things break, you change something somewhere and it can affect things in unexpected, even seemingly unrelated, places. The game's huge and they can't account for everything that could potentially happen when they make a change. This is fairly common in games though so I don't see the big surprise.

#3 Dreamwalk888

Dreamwalk888

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:16 AM

View PostArewn, on 05 October 2012 - 06:06 AM, said:

Just the way the cookie crumbles... things break, you change something somewhere and it can affect things in unexpected, even seemingly unrelated, places. The game's huge and they can't account for everything that could potentially happen when they make a change. This is fairly common in games though so I don't see the big surprise.

What isnt fairly common is that if you change something in one dungeon it breaks another. In most games once they get something working, especially something that is instanced off from the rest of the world, it stays working unless a major patch tweaks some things. I mean this type of stuff really detracts from the "fun" we are supposed to be having. My group was all ready to run dungeons all *ing night and then this happens and suddenly nobody is very enthusiastic about playing GW2 at all.

Everybody logged, I mean i know ill log back in tomorrow, but will they? When you do the hardest path in the dungeon and then get 0 for it people will feel burned no matter what.

#4 Bloggi

Bloggi

    Savant

  • Members
  • 857 posts
  • Location:Coastal
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[CRAP]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:17 AM

Cause and effect. Presence of bugs is a given. They rush to patch the bugs, deal with exploits etc. In their rush to fix things, a few other things break down. The new patches themselves add more bugs. Domino effect.

For the record, I'm not complaining and this is something I accept will happen, although all of us would wish things to be perfect. Also, all of us should know...when people are burning in the stress of a firey crucible, things *will* go wrong. And, it's hard to keep everyone 100% happy all of the time.

Edited by Xekk, 05 October 2012 - 06:17 AM.


#5 Takato

Takato

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1475 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:23 AM

No no no, ArenaNet is simply out to get you.

#6 Dreamwalk888

Dreamwalk888

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:27 AM

Im just saying people can only take so much and if this same stuff is happening in another month people will just be even more upset. It just seems like there are just as many bugs today as there were at launch. The door boss is the only thing that i can think of that they have actually fixed. Skill points still bugged all to hell, escort events just stopping in their tracks....

View PostTakato, on 05 October 2012 - 06:23 AM, said:

No no no, ArenaNet is simply out to get you.

sorry didnt mean to offend all the anet devotees out there...

#7 Arewn

Arewn

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1068 posts
  • Location:Ontario, Canada
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:30 AM

View PostDreamwalk888, on 05 October 2012 - 06:16 AM, said:

What isnt fairly common is that if you change something in one dungeon it breaks another. In most games once they get something working, especially something that is instanced off from the rest of the world, it stays working unless a major patch tweaks some things. I mean this type of stuff really detracts from the "fun" we are supposed to be having. My group was all ready to run dungeons all *ing night and then this happens and suddenly nobody is very enthusiastic about playing GW2 at all.

Everybody logged, I mean i know ill log back in tomorrow, but will they? When you do the hardest path in the dungeon and then get 0 for it people will feel burned no matter what.
I wasn't disagreeing that it sucks that these kind of things happen, I was just stating that they do happen, across the board, and that it is sometimes beyond the control of the devs.
I don't know how familiar you are with game development or programming in general, but I've recently started school for it and have quickly discovered how far reaching even a simple syntax error can go, you can't keep track of it all and a mistake can affect the most unlikely of things.

#8 Bloggi

Bloggi

    Savant

  • Members
  • 857 posts
  • Location:Coastal
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[CRAP]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:53 AM

View PostDreamwalk888, on 05 October 2012 - 06:27 AM, said:

Skill points still bugged all to hell, escort events just stopping in their tracks....

Definitely some truth here...

#9 Saintray1

Saintray1

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 202 posts
  • Guild Tag:[IG]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:07 AM

It's the same with skillpoints. Every time they fix one, another one breaks. Pretty annoying.

#10 HederaHelix

HederaHelix

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 139 posts
  • Location:Colorado USA
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:33 AM

That is how Code works.  Changing one thing can break something else completely unrelated to it.

#11 Selmu

Selmu

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:37 AM

Theres more bugged skill points and events now than in the release.

#12 wclenix

wclenix

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:55 AM

OP, I know how you feel.

When the NPC I'm escorting for a dynamic event decided to stop moving and just stood there, I waited for a couple of minutes. I hoped he would start to move again and the time I just spent escorting him was not entirely wasted. Then I decided I've had enough and logged.

You can only be patient and understanding for so long until you say "To heck with this, I didn't pay money to go through this"

#13 Airals

Airals

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:00 AM

View PostHederaHelix, on 05 October 2012 - 07:33 AM, said:

That is how Code works.  Changing one thing can break something else completely unrelated to it.

Pretty much how it is.
More can be found in the release than in Beta often

#14 Parthis

Parthis

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:29 AM

Complexity breeds bugs... and there's very little more complex than an MMO in software terms.

Bugs will happen. On the plus side if the most we can complain about a month after launch is some events not working, a few bugged traits and the odd graphical glitch i'd consider that a success. The servers aren't crashing, we don't have 8 hour down times for patches and the game is playable and fun.

Nothing is bug free.

#15 Devious

Devious

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 88 posts
  • Location:Belgium
  • Guild Tag:[Trix]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

Some of you people should seriously see how much work and effort is put into patching an mmo.
It isn't as simple as adding a line of code to fix something, when you try to fix, as has been said above, other stuff can break.

#16 Linfang

Linfang

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2362 posts
  • Location:Ohio
  • Guild Tag:[GSCH]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:35 AM

Think of it like a perscription drug. You take a pill to cure one ailment but the side effects cause another. So I take a med to cure migraines, but the side effect is upset stomach. I take something for my tummy the side effects are fever. I take something for my fever and the side effect is what? A migraine!

#17 Sevens

Sevens

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

View PostDreamwalk888, on 05 October 2012 - 06:27 AM, said:

Im just saying people can only take so much and if this same stuff is happening in another month people will just be even more upset. It just seems like there are just as many bugs today as there were at launch. The door boss is the only thing that i can think of that they have actually fixed. Skill points still bugged all to hell, escort events just stopping in their tracks....



sorry didnt mean to offend all the anet devotees out there...
13 years after its release Everquest still has bugs in it, it still  has a very healthy population so not everyone left after a month of bugs being in the game......shit happens, games bug out and life goes on

Edited by Sevens, 05 October 2012 - 10:41 AM.


#18 Soylent

Soylent

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:51 AM

View PostHederaHelix, on 05 October 2012 - 07:33 AM, said:

That is how Code works.  Changing one thing can break something else completely unrelated to it.
That's how terribly written code works. They seem to be changing things completely unrelated to each other while breaking completely random stuff. How the hell are skill points or events that were working before now bugged? It's starting to look like SWG.

Edited by Soylent, 05 October 2012 - 10:53 AM.


#19 Plasticblanket

Plasticblanket

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

Server restarts ftw

#20 Menehune

Menehune

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 500 posts
  • Location:Germany

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:57 PM

View PostLinfang, on 05 October 2012 - 10:35 AM, said:

Think of it like a perscription drug. You take a pill to cure one ailment but the side effects cause another. So I take a med to cure migraines, but the side effect is upset stomach. I take something for my tummy the side effects are fever. I take something for my fever and the side effect is what? A migraine!

Chuckled over this. Humorous, but oh so true and applicable to software development. Complexity is a breeding ground for bugs, but even the simplest of code can contain errors like the BASIC one line program print "hello wrold" which will function correctly, i.e. not crash, and display hello wrold on your monitor. How many people had to look at that two or more times to spot the error? Now imagine slogging through thousands of lines of code to spot a similar error.

#21 Zorian51

Zorian51

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

ANet does a different style of patch deployment compaired to most games of this scale. They do rapid agile development and usually post the build out. Games like WoW/Aion Warhammer etc.. dont do this kind of development cycle. They usually make giant sweeping patches that catch many things and have test realms to have them out.

Both have advantages but I like the Guild Wars 2 style more since things get put out quicker. Since this happens thought there is more room for bugs. Most of those bugs get fixed within the next development cycle which comes out quickly thought.

#22 Seipher09

Seipher09

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:04 PM

I would understand if you just finished Arah or something...but its TA, settle down.

#23 Marth Reynolds

Marth Reynolds

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:30 PM

View PostHederaHelix, on 05 October 2012 - 07:33 AM, said:

That is how Code works.  Changing one thing can break something else completely unrelated to it.

Which is why most companies tend to test their patches first.
Judging by the amount of bugs each patch adds, a-net lets the consumers do the testing.

#24 deitiesforce

deitiesforce

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 416 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DA]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:12 PM

View PostDevious, on 05 October 2012 - 10:34 AM, said:

Some of you people should seriously see how much work and effort is put into patching an mmo.
It isn't as simple as adding a line of code to fix something, when you try to fix, as has been said above, other stuff can break.

I agree that nothing is perfect but you should see how much work and effort I put into making that 60 bucks to buy the game. Another side of the coin, just saying. Tbh, you can be understanding to a point that you are just like well its kinda their job and they get paid doing it. I'm actually fine right now but I don't know how long I can hold it

#25 Devious

Devious

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 88 posts
  • Location:Belgium
  • Guild Tag:[Trix]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:54 PM

View Postdeitiesforce, on 05 October 2012 - 06:12 PM, said:

I agree that nothing is perfect but you should see how much work and effort I put into making that 60 bucks to buy the game. Another side of the coin, just saying. Tbh, you can be understanding to a point that you are just like well its kinda their job and they get paid doing it. I'm actually fine right now but I don't know how long I can hold it ������
As far as I know, you don't pay them, you should be happy Arenanet is still doing effort other than some other B2P games.

#26 deitiesforce

deitiesforce

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 416 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DA]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

View PostDevious, on 05 October 2012 - 07:54 PM, said:


As far as I know, you don't pay them, you should be happy Arenanet is still doing effort other than some other B2P games.
I'm definitely happy just not satisfied :). I'm sure they are making something big* though.

Edited by deitiesforce, 06 October 2012 - 02:04 AM.


#27 Alaroxr

Alaroxr

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 3025 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TSym]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

View PostSoylent, on 05 October 2012 - 10:51 AM, said:

That's how terribly written code works.

When you become an expert programmer with years of experience in working with MMO software, then you can make claims like this. Until then, you're just covering your ignorance by asserting your arrogance.

Edited by Alaroxr, 05 October 2012 - 08:10 PM.


#28 MazingerZ

MazingerZ

    Golem Rider

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 2222 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[CYRL]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:12 PM

View PostAlaroxr, on 05 October 2012 - 08:09 PM, said:

When you become an expert programmer with years of experience in working with MMO software, then you can make claims like this. Until then, you're just covering your ignorance by asserting your arrogance.

http://en.wikipedia....ression_testing

Quote

Regression testing is any type of software testing that seeks to uncover new software bugs, or regressions, in existing functional and non-functional areas of a system after changes, such as enhancements, patches or configuration changes, have been made to them.

They're doing it wrong.
It's okay to enjoy crap if you're willing to admit it's crap.
Every patch is like ArenaNet walking out onto the stage of the International Don't Kitten Up Championship, and then proceeding to shiv itself in the stomach 30 times while screaming "IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD! IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD!"

#29 Naginto

Naginto

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

View PostArewn, on 05 October 2012 - 06:06 AM, said:

Just the way the cookie crumbles... things break, you change something somewhere and it can affect things in unexpected, even seemingly unrelated, places. The game's huge and they can't account for everything that could potentially happen when they make a change. This is fairly common in games though so I don't see the big surprise.
Any chance you could tell this to my boss the next time I change our products and the change hurts our customers? I'm sure it will placate him enough for me to avoid a reprimand :)

#30 Arewn

Arewn

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1068 posts
  • Location:Ontario, Canada
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:45 PM

View PostNaginto, on 05 October 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

Any chance you could tell this to my boss the next time I change our products and the change hurts our customers? I'm sure it will placate him enough for me to avoid a reprimand :)
Aha, don't even kid yourself, this kind of mentality doesn't work in the real world :P





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bug

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users