• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Fainleog ban Crann

Fainleog ban Crann

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

I've been reading this forum a lot for advise om my ranger but did not yet see this issue coming by.
I lean more towards adjusting this build for WvW rather than PvE.

Currently I'm running a build using both longbow and short-bow aiming for more direct damage rather than condition damage since I experienced more than too often people using condition removers in WvW.
My build:
Marksmanship 30 (VI, VII, X)
Skirmishing 20 (VI, X)
Wilderness survival 15 (VI)
beastmastery 5

I did not see others spending 15 points in wilderness survival a lot, but the combination of natural vigor and companion's defense is (IMHO) great!

now, to my issue:
With this build I still feel rather squishy and was therefore considering to make myself a Knight's Emblazoned set rather than a Beserker's Emblazoned set.
the stats:

Knights
power 224
precision 224
toughness 315

Beserker
Power 315
precision 224
crit dmg +16

Obviously, this means trading off power (-91) and crit damage for toughness but precision is similar.

In a less conventional way, I was even looking into mixing the set since there are no additional bonusses tied to having a full set of either Knights or Beserkers, coming up with the following configuration:

"Kniserker"
Power 285
Precision 224
Thoughness 102
crit dmg +10
Knight's boots, gloves and shoulders
Beserker's helmet, coat and trousers

Did anyone experiment with this already? Any thoughts on this?

#2 Crayons

Crayons

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

When I was mixing my set, I wasn't too concerned about the power loss I was getting by switching to knight's instead of berserker's, and was instead trying to maximize my toughness gained per critical damage lost. As a result, I found that having berserker's boots, gloves and shoulders with knight's helmet, coat and trousers were the best mix for me.

Also, I found that my precision was high enough to get my crit % well over 50% and decided to swap out some of my trinkets to beryl ones (power, crit damage, vit) to become less squishy. I don't feel like my damage output has been lowered too much, but running across Orr to mine ori nodes has been a lot easier.

#3 valky

valky

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

Having an additional ~250 toughness makes actually a huge difference. (and I don't like glass canon stuff at all ^^).
Though - even if it's my engi but currently plan to equip my ranger with the same mix as well - I'd go for knights coat & trousers and the rest berserker. I myself wear a knights earring as well so am having like ~235 additional toughness. (+add the Ranger's signet...if it's an option)

Can take quite some hits in melee compared to no additional toughness at all.

[might go for the knight helmet as well, as the berserk earring offers way better stats + crit-damage]

#4 xEagleEyex

xEagleEyex

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Guild Tag:[QQ]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:39 AM

I personally dislike the pure damage build (what do those people call it? glass cannon? lame names will always be lame, eh? XD ). I'm used to raiding in other games, so while I damage output is my top priority, a very close second will be my vitality or mitigations. What's the use of having 3.3k+ attack rating if your total health is around 15k. Squishy builds suck, especially in PVP. Since I'm nearing the completion of my ideal ranger build, with TA dungeon armor and exotic jewelry, I'm starting to do a lot more WvW. There's no use having high attack power if you're going to die in a couple of hits. :lol:

I strongly suggest you go with mixing and matching. You don't have to take all the pieces of the entire set, since set bonuses come from the Runes, and not the armor itself - one of the awesome things about this game. It gives us more flexibility. With my incomplete armor set, I am sitting on around 17.3k health, while my crit chance is at 45%, and attack rating of 3.2k. To be honest, I'm perfectly happy with a flat 17k health pool, so I can get my crit chance up to 47%, and increasing my attack rating to 3.4k if possible. I will still do more research, since nothing is final.

Ultimately, it all depends on your play style. Your own build will always be superior to some build someone else came up with, and impulsively decided to adopt it because the person didn't want to do research and testing.

Best of luck!

Edited by xEagleEyex, 06 October 2012 - 05:40 AM.

#5 Quarktastic

Quarktastic

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:13 AM

I've been using full knights armor, socketed with emerald orbs, with beryl accessories of the valkyrie. I've wound up with around 2900 attack, 45% crit rate, 54% crit damage, 2400 armor, and 17k health. I've been debating on swapping out the emerald orbs for runes of the undead, and swapping the valkyrie accessories for carrion accessories, since I typically run a condition centered trap build. With my current set up, my attack damage is much higher, averaging 500-600 damage critical hits (shortbow) and 700-800 (axe). But the damage from my traps is markedly lower, as well as the bleeding damage from my shortbow.

Under water, my speargun seems weaker as well, due to it being a heavy condition weapon. But the spear seems a lot stronger, in comparison.

I still very much like knights armor though.

#6 Ravnodaus

Ravnodaus

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

Hi! I just made a thread about this exact topic. It has hard number figures and will show you exactly which pieces of Berzerker you should replace first when mixing sets.

Enjoy!

http://www.guildwars...to-do-it-right/

#7 Blexxor

Blexxor

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[MYA]

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:47 PM

hey folks,

I´ve found a good item mix up some time ago here in the forum and run this since this day for wvw... (thread is http://www.guildwars...e-a-tanks-tale/ and post is from Danthin at october 07)

You just win when you are not laying dying around... so every second alive will bring your enemy one second closer to death :)

I´m runing at 3043 attack, 36% crit, 2407 armor and 18972 life... (+20k with sword / horn)
Skills at 20 (I,VIII), 25 (IV,X), 20 (V,IX), 0, 5
_____

Head - Invaders
Shoulders - Berserker
Chest - Invaders/Rubicon/Armageddon
Hands - Berserker
Legs - Knight's
Feet - Berserker

6x Rune of the Ranger
_____

Amulet - Beryl with Beryl Gem
Rings - Invaders with Beryl Gems
Earrings - Invaders with Beryl Gems
_____

Berserker SB with Sigil of Superior Force
wvw sword and horn with Superior Sigil of Hydromancy

#8 Ravnodaus

Ravnodaus

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

View PostBlexxor, on 19 October 2012 - 01:47 PM, said:

hey folks,

I´ve found a good item mix up some time ago here in the forum and run this since this day for wvw... (thread is http://www.guildwars...e-a-tanks-tale/ and post is from Danthin at october 07)

You just win when you are not laying dying around... so every second alive will bring your enemy one second closer to death :)

I´m runing at 3043 attack, 36% crit, 2407 armor and 18972 life... (+20k with sword / horn)
Skills at 20 (I,VIII), 25 (IV,X), 20 (V,IX), 0, 5
_____

Head - Invaders
Shoulders - Berserker
Chest - Invaders/Rubicon/Armageddon
Hands - Berserker
Legs - Knight's
Feet - Berserker

6x Rune of the Ranger
_____

Amulet - Beryl with Beryl Gem
Rings - Invaders with Beryl Gems
Earrings - Invaders with Beryl Gems
_____

Berserker SB with Sigil of Superior Force
wvw sword and horn with Superior Sigil of Hydromancy

Read my link.

You could optimize your gear a little better. And I don't mean "customize", I literally mean "make you have more stats". Not much better... but there is room for better choices.

Edit: Read your link. Much of the same information is available in yours too!

Edited by Ravnodaus, 20 October 2012 - 10:51 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: armorknight, berserker, ranger, wvw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users