3 replies to this topic

#1 Volbit

Volbit

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:53 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to these forums, which were helpful a couple of times, so I registered to be able to comment/ask myself. I hope you forgive my bad English.

I recently switched to engineer, which I want to main. I mainly plan on doing PVE (Orr, dungeons, DE) and from time to time a bit PVP (WvW mainly). At the moment I use the rifle with my Norn lady, but will also try out the pistols for a time to finally decide, which I will stay with. For both cases, I try to make my build at the moment, which are the following. Could you please take a look and give me some suggestions, what to make better?

Rifle build: http://gw2skills.net...IIF7lf95x81WQIA

Pistol build: http://gw2skills.net...tu8V0DM34J/pw8B

Thanks a lot!

#2 Phaketrash

Phaketrash

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

View PostVolbit, on 07 October 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to these forums, which were helpful a couple of times, so I registered to be able to comment/ask myself. I hope you forgive my bad English.

I recently switched to engineer, which I want to main. I mainly plan on doing PVE (Orr, dungeons, DE) and from time to time a bit PVP (WvW mainly). At the moment I use the rifle with my Norn lady, but will also try out the pistols for a time to finally decide, which I will stay with. For both cases, I try to make my build at the moment, which are the following. Could you please take a look and give me some suggestions, what to make better?

Thanks a lot!

I don't play pistol so I won't comment on that build. But for a rifle build, if you're going power, which it seems you are w/ traits even though you haven't chosen any runes...I'd tweak it a bit. I don't like Healing Turret much and prefer the Med Kit. And instead of the Static Discharge trait, I get speedy kits. With the med kit, this essentially means I have perma-swiftness, which is nice for kiting, traveling, running away or through mobs, etc. I can't imagine playing w/o my perma-swiftness lol.

Static Discharge is also better for spvp than it is for WvW or pve. In pve, even dungeons, its range is actually too large. You will often find that it bounces off and hits a mob you DID NOT WANT TO AGGRO. This can be problematic in pve. In WvW, however, the range is too short in siege attack or defense or large engagements to reach or be that effective.

And w/o static discharge, there's less of a reason to have the Tool Kit in your skills. I'd change it to something else...an elixir probably. Elixir U, Elixir S, etc. That being said, I would also then move the 10 points in the Inventions Traits over to Alchemy. No real reason to get that toughness trait unless you plan on wearing like Knight's Armor or something (which you might, the trait builder doesn't let me know what armor you plan on wearing). As of now, with such little armor, those 10 pts makes no sense. Better to give it to alchemy for extra vitality and maybe choose Fast Acting Elixirs to reduce cooldown on your elixir spells (esp. if you replace Tool Kit w/ another elixir). Finally, 10 pts and Fast Acting Elixirs = you will have Might 100% of the time because the cd and duration of Might from Elixir B will overlap.

I'd also caution away from Toughness armor (Knight's) or Inventions + Toughness because unlike a pistol/shield engie, you just aren't going to be built tanky enough (or need to be tanky enough) to need toughness BEFORE vitality. There's a thread that's well done on the forums here somewhere that broke down the formulas. Essentially, divide your HP by your ARMOR, and if it is > 10, then get toughness. If it is not, get vitality (this is to answer whether vitality is better or toughness is better...GW2, unlike GW1, generally favors vitality more, esp. if you lack both traits). I guarantee that for your rifle build, so far, you will need more vitality first. Better if you want a "tankier" build for dungeons, to get Valkyrie armor. Maybe even the Orr gods armor/WvW armor w/ Power/Vit/Toughness if you REALLY want to be tanky...but imo that's too much for a rifle build.

Hope that helps!

#3 CepaCepa

CepaCepa

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:47 AM

View PostVolbit, on 07 October 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot!

I'll just comment a bit on your pistol build then.

It seems like you're trying to make use of the flamethrower, but you need to make up your mind which weapon set would be your primary damage set and which one your support.

Pistol/Pistol is great for applying some emergency blind/immobilize, that pistol 4 works well for an extra burn on top of what your flamethrower already does. But since you've sacrificed 2 major traits + a utility slot for flamethrower already, it wouldn't make sense that you'd be doing damage constantly in pistols. Hence instead of coated bullet, I think juggernaut may be better IF you want to mainly do damage with flamethrower.

If you'd rather use pistol/pistol as your main damage set on the other hand, why would you sacrifice 2 major traits and a precious utility slot for flamethrower then? There are some very good major traits that you're missing out by buffing the flamethrower, and the utility slot can be given to another wonderful wonderful elixir (they're ALL wonderful. I wish we have more utility slots just for those elixirs). Pistol/Pistol can do reliable aoe, and is decent damage, ultimately by bringing the flamethrower you're not "adding" much to what it already can do, this is especially true if you want to primarily do damage in pistols.

#4 Volbit

Volbit

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

Sorry for my late answer! Thank you both for your helpful replies and suggestions. I'll take both into account for my planned builds. ATM I'm having so much fun with the rifle, that I'll probably stick with it... did take into account to spend my points more on vitality than toughness. Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users