Leaf on the Wind

• Administrators
  • Curse Premium
  • 4152 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:37 AM

Jonathan Sharp on the (Near) Future of Guild Wars 2 PvP

You all enjoy new features and game updates, right? Good! Well for those of you who have an interest in the sPvP side of Guild Wars 2, Mr. Johnathan Sharp has been kind enough to share some of the goodies they've been saving.

First off is the introduction of paid automated tournaments. Unlike the existing free automated tournaments, these require an entrance fee in the form of Tournament Tickets acquired through the gem store or other various means. Another key change is the elimination of matchmaking. Players interested in these tournaments will be required to find a team before they even set foot into battle. Of course, what fun would all of these changes be if there weren't an increase in rewards to match? Every player that places in the tournament gets a minimum prize of a copper chest, and it's even possible to score some gems if you're good enough.

Next up is custom arenas. While full details aren't given, the basic idea of this feature is to allow players to rent arena space for any use the player sees fit. The arena is even able to be password protected, which is a big plus for teams looking to stay off the grid. More details (including how these will be rented out) are expected soon in an upcoming blog post, so keep an eye out!

#2 Adakias

Adakias

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:52 AM

Holy...god...so excited. Custom private servers sound incredible. Best post I've seen so far.

#3 HawkofStorms

HawkofStorms

Guru's Source of Witty Banter

• Members
  • 3100 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:03 AM

No matter how experienced I get, I will never pay actual money for the "privilege" to play in Paid Tournaments.  And neither will a lot of people.  So the whole inexperienced players will get to play in free, while experienced players will go to paid theory is just wrong.  Inexperienced players will continue to fear the entry of free tournaments and continue to get crushed by the competition as the game goes on.
The only way this could be fixed is if the drop rate for tournament tickets is really, really, good from those free chests.  Otherwise, forget it.

#4 Shamadamun

Shamadamun

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1353 posts
  • Guild Tag:[VV]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:05 AM

CUSTOM ARENAS!!!!

Aww yeah things are about to get awesome!

#5 Fatalis

Fatalis

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2708 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TL]

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:12 AM

View PostHawkofStorms, on 09 October 2012 - 01:03 AM, said:

No matter how experienced I get, I will never pay actual money for the "privilege" to play in Paid Tournaments.  And neither will a lot of people.  So the whole inexperienced players will get to play in free, while experienced players will go to paid theory is just wrong.  Inexperienced players will continue to fear the entry of free tournaments and continue to get crushed by the competition as the game goes on.
The only way this could be fixed is if the drop rate for tournament tickets is really, really, good from those free chests.  Otherwise, forget it.

You seem to get tournament tickets quite easily from what I've seen, so I don't think that will be too much of a problem. Even then, should a team run out, they can just do normal tournaments to get back tickets, or if they're really good at sPvP, they can use the gems they win to buy more tickets.

#6 DouglaCorbi

DouglaCorbi

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:41 AM

Custom private servers sound incredible. Best post I've seen so farPosted ImagePosted Image

#7 Eon Lilu

Eon Lilu

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2295 posts
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:01 AM

Didnt they have that stuff in beta but removed it before launch?

#8 Shayne Hawke

Shayne Hawke

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1227 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LiES]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:19 AM

I'll just say what I said in the other thread:

View PostShayne Hawke, on 08 October 2012 - 11:37 PM, said:

So PvP is ready, it's just not eSports-ready.

I wonder how many of the hopefuls of this kind of PvP will have left by the time they get everything in place.

#9 Menehune

Menehune

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 500 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

TL:DR – Less QQ, more pew pew.

Applicable to the entire game IMO.

#10 Adakias

Adakias

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

View PostShayne Hawke, on 09 October 2012 - 03:19 AM, said:

I wonder how many of the hopefuls of this kind of PvP will have left by the time they get everything in place.
Um...what? Will have left?? "Left" means nothing to an MMO, especially one that isn't subscription based.

#11 Shayne Hawke

Shayne Hawke

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1227 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LiES]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:33 PM

View PostAdakias, on 09 October 2012 - 03:59 PM, said:

Um...what? Will have left?? "Left" means nothing to an MMO, especially one that isn't subscription based.

If players can't find the competitive scene they're looking for here, they'll move on to another game.  Even after ANet gets their act together and introduces everything that might be necessary for that environment to flourish, the players that left and found the competitive scene they like somewhere else will not be coming back.

#12 Eddie Sells Out

Eddie Sells Out

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:05 PM

It's very easy to get tournament tickets from free chests...not to mention that in all likelihood, the entrance fee will be per team not per player. Why would anyone fear entrance to free tournaments? You may lose, but it costs you nothing to enter and you have a chance of winning. Even if you only win the first match, you've already got a reward for no cost. Why would anyone be scared of that?

The complaint is the other way round, that the good players are always having to face off versus pugs. In a paid tournament, this won't happen. Even if they have to play a few free tournaments in order to enter the paid tournament, they still are playing them knowing they'll get to face good opponents in the paid.

Edited by Eddie Sells Out, 09 October 2012 - 09:08 PM.

#13 Thane

Thane

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:13 AM

please tell me this is not the pvp blog we have waited 2 months for. There is nothing new that I didn't know 2 years ago when the game was show cases at e3

#14 Gaaroth

Gaaroth

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:32 PM

View PostMenehune, on 09 October 2012 - 09:44 AM, said:

Applicable to the entire game IMO.

applicable 2 the whole MMOs community IMO :3

#15 Var

Var

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1313 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

View PostShayne Hawke, on 09 October 2012 - 08:33 PM, said:

If players can't find the competitive scene they're looking for here, they'll move on to another game.  Even after ANet gets their act together and introduces everything that might be necessary for that environment to flourish, the players that left and found the competitive scene they like somewhere else will not be coming back.

You must not have been around in the early days of GW1... had a lot of fun grinding for weeks on end to get my runes, gear, and everything else I needed. People managed to hold out through many months of GW1 PvP being in an undefined quantum state and found the eventual gold times of the old system... I think a month or two isn't too much time to ask them to wait for everything to be ironed out.

#16 Absolute13

Absolute13

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Guild Tag:[VsN]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

I don't see any reason why they should tweak tournament ticket rate. You get tickets from placing top on the free tournaments, but if you don't get into good places in free tournaments, you shouldn't even think about paid tournaments because the skill level will be so much higher. Mechanic is very good for new players since they have to learn the game before even thinking about paid tourneys.
With good players, free tournaments are pretty boring atm. Since there isn't any challenge if we don't queue against other good team simultaneously.

I myself have more than 300 tournament tickets, and I seriously doupt that any player who is even in decent team will need to pay actual money from the tickets.

#17 FoKilPt

FoKilPt

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 8 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SPQR]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:58 AM

Sounds amazing, saved up 200+ tickets and can't wait for this!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: arenanet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users