Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Magic find set for Necro

magic find necro necromancer set traveler

  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Lapis

Lapis

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:59 AM

I finally reached level 80 and I want to purchase a magic find set for my condtionmancer and start farming some gold.
As I browsed thru auction, it seems that the only option for my necro is rare set of Traveler (medium condition damage + power + 3% magic find) and equip it with 3 major runes of pirate + 3 major runes of traveler (I don't have gold to buy superior runes yet).

What about accessory - amulet, rings? I found only opal items that give power, precision and magic find...no condition damage. What accessory should I get to get some magic find? If I take these opal items, even in green quality version, I get 6% magic find per item (3% in item itself and 3% in its rune) - that makes 30% magic find per all accessories, but big loose of condition damage. I have about 800 condition damage (and over 1300 power) with these items, wich is less CD than I had on level 70...and no thoughness, vitality...I am afraid that I will be dying a lot in orr with such low condition damage and no survavability stats.

Then also weapons exist in traveler form, but I think it may be better to get carrion to get some CD boost and equip it with sigil that gets magic find bonus with each kill (then again loose in CD against sigil of corruption).

What equip would you recommend to farm some gold in Orr (I suppose thru dynamic events and killing mobs) ?

Edited by Lapis, 09 October 2012 - 08:47 AM.


#2 karamong

karamong

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

I'm making the Noble's Armor for my Necro as it gives like 40% magic find iirc. You could also go make Cadeucus's Manor and buy the Runes of Noble and add them to your Traveler's set.

#3 Lapis

Lapis

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

View Postkaramong, on 09 October 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

I'm making the Noble's Armor for my Necro as it gives like 40% magic find iirc. You could also go make Cadeucus's Manor and buy the Runes of Noble and add them to your Traveler's set.

I am looking at wiki for that armor and the one which I found has no magic find stats by itself: http://wiki.guildwar...9;s_Manor_armor - level 70 exotic set that has worse stats than rare Carrion set for 80 lvl (except that thougness is a bit better than vitality for us). Just it seems that it has Runes of the Noble already built-in, which is good. Runes of the Noble give the same MF stats like runes of traveler / pirate. Is it easier to farm 600 (120 x 5) seals of Beetletun from CM than to get a few golds for runes of traveler/pirate?

Whole rare Carrion set can be bought for about 1g, the most expansive are MF runes there (I think one was for almost 1g). So it is mainly question if it is efficient to farm 4-5g or 600 seals for runes (I have no seal yet so I have no idea).
Mainly I don't know whether Traveler set is worth of those 18% magic find at cost of condition damage and vitality in comparison with Carrion set.
My second main problem is with accesory/amulets/rings - I didn't find any with CD a MF.

So Carrion or Traveler? What amulets/rings? How to farm MF runes?

Edited by Lapis, 09 October 2012 - 11:41 AM.


#4 snethss

snethss

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:47 PM

explorer set with 5 pirate and 1 traveler.  you could also do 5 traveler 1 pirate.
opal jewelry
Sigil of Luck
Food
Guild Banner Bonus

Those are your easiest options.

#5 Lapis

Lapis

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

View Postsnethss, on 09 October 2012 - 01:47 PM, said:

explorer set with 5 pirate and 1 traveler.  you could also do 5 traveler 1 pirate.
opal jewelry
Sigil of Luck
Food
Guild Banner Bonus
Thanks for advice, but as I mentioned, I am condition based necro, so explorer set and opal jewelry have only power+precision stats, no condition damage. Or is the only option to respec to power axe or dagger spec + wells for farming?

#6 takarazuka

takarazuka

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 402 posts
  • Location:Tennessee
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

View PostLapis, on 09 October 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

Thanks for advice, but as I mentioned, I am condition based necro, so explorer set and opal jewelry have only power+precision stats, no condition damage. Or is the only option to respec to power axe or dagger spec + wells for farming?

That's the only crafted set and is usually easiest to obtain if you have or know a tailor.  Otherwise you will have to buy the gear from the TP that has the stats you want.  You could do a condition/well spec and use two wells (suffering/corruption) and maybe epidemic for spreading bleeds from your scepter/dagger.  Use the explorer/opal gear to beef up your wells to make up for lack of condition damage.  No matter how you do it, a MF set is going to hurt your damage and you won't kill as fast regardless of spec.

Your mostly friendly neighborhood necromancer and moderator.

In-Game: Takarazuka.3025

Tahrakh - 80 Necro | Takarazuka - 80 Necro | Benesal - 80 Warrior

Have a moderation related issue or just want to chat? Send me a PM


#7 SleepyPillow

SleepyPillow

    Fahrar Cub

  • New Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:35 PM

View Postsnethss, on 09 October 2012 - 01:47 PM, said:

traveler set with 5 pirate and 1 traveler.
opal jewelry
Sigil of Luck
Food


I'm using this on my scepter+dagger necro and never had a problem with being to weak. The normal pve stuff is easy enough imo.

Edited by SleepyPillow, 09 October 2012 - 02:36 PM.


#8 Lapis

Lapis

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

View PostSleepyPillow, on 09 October 2012 - 02:35 PM, said:

I'm using this on my scepter+dagger necro and never had a problem with being to weak. The normal pve stuff is easy enough imo.

OK, so I will go with rare traveler set and farm some gold to be able to buy pirate/traveler superior runes. It is just pity that there is no jewelry with condition damage and magic find :(

Do you put Sigil of Luck on your scepter, or staff? I suppose it will work in the same way as Sigil of Corruption - that it will add 0,6% MF per kill only on two-handed weapon and if I put it to my scepter, it will do only something like 0,4% MF per kill. Is it right? I didn't see any total MF stat in my character screen so it is hard to verify that...

#9 takarazuka

takarazuka

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 402 posts
  • Location:Tennessee
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

If you put the sigil on mainhand and offhand it will give you the full effect.

Your mostly friendly neighborhood necromancer and moderator.

In-Game: Takarazuka.3025

Tahrakh - 80 Necro | Takarazuka - 80 Necro | Benesal - 80 Warrior

Have a moderation related issue or just want to chat? Send me a PM


#10 Lapis

Lapis

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:33 AM

View Posttakarazuka, on 09 October 2012 - 03:47 PM, said:

If you put the sigil on mainhand and offhand it will give you the full effect.
Did you test it? I have read that it just adds stacks faster, but only gives 25 stacks of weaker buff - that was for Sigil of Corruption (and probably also others), but maybe they changed it since that time...

#11 takarazuka

takarazuka

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 402 posts
  • Location:Tennessee
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:08 PM

View PostLapis, on 10 October 2012 - 07:33 AM, said:

Did you test it? I have read that it just adds stacks faster, but only gives 25 stacks of weaker buff - that was for Sigil of Corruption (and probably also others), but maybe they changed it since that time...

I will have to look for the thread about it again and will link it.  I could also have misread what they are saying... not sure.

Your mostly friendly neighborhood necromancer and moderator.

In-Game: Takarazuka.3025

Tahrakh - 80 Necro | Takarazuka - 80 Necro | Benesal - 80 Warrior

Have a moderation related issue or just want to chat? Send me a PM


#12 Ropes782

Ropes782

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:22 PM

If you are looking for an end game condition damage + magic find set, here is my recommendation: Crucible of Eternity.

Crucible of Eternity tokens can purchase both weapons and armor which give power, condition damage, and magic find.  In the process of farming this dungeon you will make enough money to get superior runes of pirate/traveler to complete the gear.

As for weapon upgrades, I'd recommend superior luck on one weapon set and the other weapon set should have 2 crest of the traveler (which provide +magic find).

Note: this is not a quick method as it will take a couple thousand tokens for armor + weapons, but it may be something to strive for.

Edited by Ropes782, 10 October 2012 - 02:23 PM.


#13 Vampire Duzell

Vampire Duzell

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:46 AM

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread, but I also have a question.
I play a staff D/D necro and I want to know whether I should go with explorer's or traveler's gear. explorer's gives power and precision while traveler's gives power and condition dmg. Which one should I go with as a staff D/D necro?

#14 takarazuka

takarazuka

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 402 posts
  • Location:Tennessee
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:56 AM

View PostVampire Duzell, on 11 October 2012 - 01:46 AM, said:

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread, but I also have a question.
I play a staff D/D necro and I want to know whether I should go with explorer's or traveler's gear. explorer's gives power and precision while traveler's gives power and condition dmg. Which one should I go with as a staff D/D necro?

What is your trait setup?

Your mostly friendly neighborhood necromancer and moderator.

In-Game: Takarazuka.3025

Tahrakh - 80 Necro | Takarazuka - 80 Necro | Benesal - 80 Warrior

Have a moderation related issue or just want to chat? Send me a PM


#15 Vampire Duzell

Vampire Duzell

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:15 AM

right now its 20, 30, 20 in death magic, blood magic, and soul reaping

#16 takarazuka

takarazuka

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 402 posts
  • Location:Tennessee
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:39 AM

Sorry meant to also ask what your main utility skills are?  Do you use wells or condition spells?

Your mostly friendly neighborhood necromancer and moderator.

In-Game: Takarazuka.3025

Tahrakh - 80 Necro | Takarazuka - 80 Necro | Benesal - 80 Warrior

Have a moderation related issue or just want to chat? Send me a PM


#17 snethss

snethss

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:07 AM

If you are trying to build a set of MF to wear on all situations, then you are doing it wrong.

I don't miss the lack of condition dmg at all.


#18 Lapis

Lapis

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:26 AM

View Postsnethss, on 11 October 2012 - 05:07 AM, said:

If you are trying to build a set of MF to wear on all situations, then you are doing it wrong.
I don't miss the lack of condition dmg at all.

I am not sure which post are you replying to, but if it is my post - of course I don't plan to wear MF gear in dungeons or WvW - just for events farming. Having less damage stats means lesser chance of doing enough damage to get some loot and maybe half of my damage in events is from conditions so I was a bit worried, but it seems that power based damage is more important for tagging mobs in over-crowded events or for bosses fights so lack of condition dmg is not a big problem in there...

#19 Lapis

Lapis

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:39 AM

View PostVampire Duzell, on 11 October 2012 - 01:46 AM, said:

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread, but I also have a question.
I play a staff D/D necro and I want to know whether I should go with explorer's or traveler's gear. explorer's gives power and precision while traveler's gives power and condition dmg. Which one should I go with as a staff D/D necro?

So that is mainly question if you want more crits or more condition damage.
If you are using mainly wells and bone minions for explosions, explorer set is better there. Condition damage improves your staff 2&3 skills and Enfeebling Blood from dagger off-hand, while precision improves crit chance for initial damage of marks, staff 1&4 and main-hand dagger attacks (which you probably use only for bosses or solo fights).
If you use some on-crit sigils, it may favor towards Explorer set.
But I would probably combine items from both sets to have some decent crit rate and some condition damage too - as you have no points in Spite or Curses, your bonus damage relies mainly on stats from items and those are not very good from magic find gear...

#20 Lapis

Lapis

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

View PostRopes782, on 10 October 2012 - 02:22 PM, said:

If you are looking for an end game condition damage + magic find set, here is my recommendation: Crucible of Eternity.

Crucible of Eternity tokens can purchase both weapons and armor which give power, condition damage, and magic find.  In the process of farming this dungeon you will make enough money to get superior runes of pirate/traveler to complete the gear.

Note: this is not a quick method as it will take a couple thousand tokens for armor + weapons, but it may be something to strive for.

Is it worth of the effort to get all those thousands of tokens for MF armor set? I suppose that it will have the same MF bonus (3% MF per item) like rare Traveler set. Increased damage from better stats is nice, but it seems to me as too much effort to get it in this stage of early 80 lvl experience...maybe later when I will have some PvE/PvP gear and will don't know what to get next...

Edited by Lapis, 11 October 2012 - 01:11 PM.


#21 takarazuka

takarazuka

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 402 posts
  • Location:Tennessee
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

View PostLapis, on 11 October 2012 - 01:10 PM, said:

Is it worth of the effort to get all those thousands of tokens for MF armor set? I suppose that it will have the same MF bonus (3% MF per item) like rare Traveler set. Increased damage from better stats is nice, but it seems to me as too much effort to get it in this stage of early 80 lvl experience...maybe later when I will have some PvE/PvP gear and will don't know what to get next...

It's really not worth the time and effort to run a dungeon (and spend money on repairs) to get the PERFECT MF set.  You can buy a set from the broker or just use the Explorer's set.  Since you are event farming, condition damage isn't going to be a big factor as most mobs die before you can get enough bleeds and epidemic up.  You're going to want to be tagging stuff with marks and targeted wells.  You can buy everything you need to craft the explorer set for ~75s.

Your mostly friendly neighborhood necromancer and moderator.

In-Game: Takarazuka.3025

Tahrakh - 80 Necro | Takarazuka - 80 Necro | Benesal - 80 Warrior

Have a moderation related issue or just want to chat? Send me a PM


#22 Lapis

Lapis

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:00 PM

View Posttakarazuka, on 11 October 2012 - 02:07 PM, said:

It's really not worth the time and effort to run a dungeon (and spend money on repairs) to get the PERFECT MF set.  You can buy a set from the broker or just use the Explorer's set.  Since you are event farming, condition damage isn't going to be a big factor as most mobs die before you can get enough bleeds and epidemic up.  You're going to want to be tagging stuff with marks and targeted wells.  You can buy everything you need to craft the explorer set for ~75s.
That looks reasonable, but I already have rare traveler set purchased. I understand that precision will be better for wells and initial damage from marks than condition damage, but I am used to condition spec and using also scepter+dagger for AoE, so for me traveler looks better, especially when condition damage is already quite poor and crit is over 30% with stats from opal jewelry and precision from Curse trait.
I found that when I avoid peak times around 6-8pm and start with events after 10pm, when map is not so over-crowded, conditions are really useful because mobs don't die so fast and bleeds have some decent time to do their job. Then I have much higher chance for drops than in peak hours when mobs die in fraction of second and I need to know exactly from where they are coming. And during the peak time I can do something else, like leveling my alt or do some dungeon :-) Also wells have even with 20% reduction cooldown over 30s and during that time, bleeds/poison from staff #2/#3 and scepter/dagger are important too.

#23 takarazuka

takarazuka

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 402 posts
  • Location:Tennessee
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:04 PM

View PostLapis, on 11 October 2012 - 03:00 PM, said:

That looks reasonable, but I already have rare traveler set purchased. I understand that precision will be better for wells and initial damage from marks than condition damage, but I am used to condition spec and using also scepter+dagger for AoE, so for me traveler looks better, especially when condition damage is already quite poor and crit is over 30% with stats from opal jewelry and precision from Curse trait.
I found that when I avoid peak times around 6-8pm and start with events after 10pm, when map is not so over-crowded, conditions are really useful because mobs don't die so fast and bleeds have some decent time to do their job. Then I have much higher chance for drops than in peak hours when mobs die in fraction of second and I need to know exactly from where they are coming. And during the peak time I can do something else, like leveling my alt or do some dungeon :-) Also wells have even with 20% reduction cooldown over 30s and during that time, bleeds/poison from staff #2/#3 and scepter/dagger are important too.

Sounds reasonable.... I meant to say you could buy the Traveler's set from the broker if you wanted to, but the Exlporer might end up costing less for the mats.  Either way works really.

However, it's actually better to do events with a group of people in your party.... the current theory is that you get MORE drops and better drops if you are in a group and the MF stacks between everyone.  Some friends and I are testing it on our own as well to see what the difference is.  Lats week just me and one other person grouped up and he got 8 rares in about 15 minutes, though I got none of course (I think he stole all mah loots!!).

Edited by takarazuka, 11 October 2012 - 03:06 PM.

Your mostly friendly neighborhood necromancer and moderator.

In-Game: Takarazuka.3025

Tahrakh - 80 Necro | Takarazuka - 80 Necro | Benesal - 80 Warrior

Have a moderation related issue or just want to chat? Send me a PM


#24 Vampire Duzell

Vampire Duzell

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

View PostLapis, on 11 October 2012 - 07:39 AM, said:

So that is mainly question if you want more crits or more condition damage.
If you are using mainly wells and bone minions for explosions, explorer set is better there. Condition damage improves your staff 2&3 skills and Enfeebling Blood from dagger off-hand, while precision improves crit chance for initial damage of marks, staff 1&4 and main-hand dagger attacks (which you probably use only for bosses or solo fights).
If you use some on-crit sigils, it may favor towards Explorer set.
But I would probably combine items from both sets to have some decent crit rate and some condition damage too - as you have no points in Spite or Curses, your bonus damage relies mainly on stats from items and those are not very good from magic find gear...
Hmm... I think I'm gonna go with explorer then, because its a lot easier to get because people can craft it.
Right now, I'm running a MM build, although I want to switch to wells like I do in PvP, but I haven't bothered to try it yet because I like running around with mini tanks while i run away and farm nodes.
Normally, I just place down all the staff marks and then switch to D/D and then switch back to staff after the marks cooldown. I stay on the staff though when I'm facing larger groups though.

#25 Lapis

Lapis

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:05 AM

View Posttakarazuka, on 11 October 2012 - 03:04 PM, said:


Sounds reasonable.... I meant to say you could buy the Traveler's set from the broker if you wanted to, but the Exlporer might end up costing less for the mats.  Either way works really.

However, it's actually better to do events with a group of people in your party.... the current theory is that you get MORE drops and better drops if you are in a group and the MF stacks between everyone.  Some friends and I are testing it on our own as well to see what the difference is.  Lats week just me and one other person grouped up and he got 8 rares in about 15 minutes, though I got none of course (I think he stole all mah loots!!).

Is Explorer set much cheaper than Traveler? I didn't check it, but I bought Traveler set for around 15 silver per piece or less, less than 1g in total (I didn't buy it instantly, but placed my price and waited for it to come). I bought 2 items as rare 79 rather than 80, because they had exactly the same stats, with maybe 1-2 armor less, and costed half the price. I don't have crafting skilled so high yet, so I can't craft Explorer by myself :-) Also most of the drops that I get in events are Traveler items, so I think there are plenty of them...

I heared that there are theories about having more drops so I am trying to get into some party usually, but I didn't see any significant difference in drops. Maybe I have a feeling that I get more XPs from mobs (that I get kill bonus when I do smaller damage than I would need to do if I would be alone, if also a party member does damage to the mob), maybe it can influence drops too, but it is just my feeling :)

#26 takarazuka

takarazuka

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 402 posts
  • Location:Tennessee
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

You don't get more drops, but you get a higher chance of better drops from mobs and gathering.  So instead of getting, for example, 4 blues over the course of an hour you might get 2 rares and 2 blues.  You also get more gems from mining nodes and more hidden caches from trees.

Your mostly friendly neighborhood necromancer and moderator.

In-Game: Takarazuka.3025

Tahrakh - 80 Necro | Takarazuka - 80 Necro | Benesal - 80 Warrior

Have a moderation related issue or just want to chat? Send me a PM






Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: magic find, necro, necromancer, set, traveler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users