#1 chronicler

chronicler

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 8 posts
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:33 AM

Hello all!

I've just leveled 45 level of my Necro and want to ask you for some advices for the near future.
I'm really fascinated by Death Shroud mechanics and want to make it useful. Also I hate awfull minions spawning, so I tried to avoid Death magic (am I really-really wrong?).
Here is my build for solo + small group, point me an errors please:
http://gw2skills.net...P6xxUGzoeUO4hOA

#2 takarazuka

takarazuka

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:38 PM

View Postchronicler, on 09 October 2012 - 11:33 AM, said:

Hello all!

I've just leveled 45 level of my Necro and want to ask you for some advices for the near future.
I'm really fascinated by Death Shroud mechanics and want to make it useful. Also I hate awfull minions spawning, so I tried to avoid Death magic (am I really-really wrong?).
Here is my build for solo + small group, point me an errors please:
http://gw2skills.net...P6xxUGzoeUO4hOA

Change out your T1 and T2 major traits for 25% slower life force drain in DS and vulnerability on Life Blast.  If you are going for a DS-heavy build, you will want to stay in DS as long as possible and add some utility to your attacks.  Having cooldown reduction isn't as useful as being able to stay in that form and have some meat to your attacks.

As for not going Death Magic.... I think you're okay to not do it.  The attacks from Life Blast aren't very amazing so having a higher crit chance and crit damage may make up for it in the end.  I have never tried a DS build but it makes sense from the numbers I see when in it.  I normally only use DS for Life Transfer everytime it's off cooldown.

As far as traits go - drop spectral armor for sure.  You get a free spectral armor on a much shorter cooldown as a minor trait in soul reaping.  I would replace it with a well (suffering most likely for vulnerability and higher damage) and use that right before going in to death shroud.

Your mostly friendly neighborhood necromancer and moderator.

In-Game: Takarazuka.3025

Tahrakh - 80 Necro | Takarazuka - 80 Necro | Benesal - 80 Warrior

Have a moderation related issue or just want to chat? Send me a PM

#3 chronicler

chronicler

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

Thanks!

View Posttakarazuka, on 09 October 2012 - 02:38 PM, said:

As far as traits go - drop spectral armor for sure.  You get a free spectral armor on a much shorter cooldown as a minor trait in soul reaping.  I would replace it with a well (suffering most likely for vulnerability and higher damage) and use that right before going in to death shroud.

Is spectral grasp out of league too? I've never tried, but is seems useful.

About gear: As far as I understand, I need Precision —> Crit. chance —> Power —> Vitality?
Are dagger as viable as axe is for high levels?

Edited by chronicler, 09 October 2012 - 03:56 PM.

#4 takarazuka

takarazuka

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

View Postchronicler, on 09 October 2012 - 03:55 PM, said:

Is spectral grasp out of league too? I've never tried, but is seems useful.

About gear: As far as I understand, I need Precision —> Crit. chance —> Power —> Vitality?
Are dagger as viable as axe is for high levels?

Spectral grasp is situational but a good skill to use if you don't think you can take on too many mobs in a pack and need to cherry-pick a few out.  I tend to use #7 and #8 as primary "must have" skills for a spec and #9 left for skills based on what the situation is that I am going in to.  

Stat priority should always start with Power and then move in to secondaries like Precision/Crit Damage and then Toughness/Vitality.  The Knight's gear wouldn't be a bad choice - Power/Precision/Toughness and then use Ruby accessories - Power/Precision/Crit.

Dagger is higher damage hands down, but there are people who swear by axe.  Best advice is go test it yourself and see which one you like more.  With dagger you are in melee and that's a beast some people don't like dealing with....

#5 Gusat

Gusat

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

This is a project I have been working on to map Death Shroud (still WIP)

i. death shroud:
a. assume a spectral form and gain new skills, turning your life force into health
b. recharge: 10 seconds
c. vital persistance - life force drains 25% slower while in death shroud
d. speed of shadows - move 15% faster while in death shroud
e. foot in the grave - gain stability for 3 seconds when you enter death shroud
boon duration
f. near to death - death shroud recharges 50% faster
g. spiteful spirit  - gain retaliation for 3 seconds when entering death shroud
boon duration
h. weakening shroud - cast enfeebling blood (weakness and bleeding) when entering death shroud con dmg and duration
i. furious demise - gain fury for 5 seconds when entering death shroud boon duration
j. shrouded removal - lose a condition when you enter death shroud
k. death shiver - apply vulnerability for 10s every 3s to nearby enemies while in death shroud
con duration

ii. life blast:
a. blast a foe with accumulated life force, dealing more damage the more life force you have  
b. damage: 235 power
c. damage: 470 power
d. range: 900
e. recharge: 1 second activation
f. path of midnight - all death shroud skills recharge 15% faster
g. unyielding blast - ife blast pierces and causes vulnerability
con duration
h. reaper's might - life blast and plague blast grant might for 15 seconds boon duration

iii. dark path
a. send out a claw. If this attack hits a foe, you teleport to that foe and chill nearby foes
b. damage: 84 power
c. chilled: 5 sec con duration
d. bleeding: 5 sec con dmg and duration
e. range: 900
f. recharge: 15 seconds
g. path of midnight  - all death shroud skills recharge 15% faster
h. hemophilia - 20% increased bleeding duration

iv. doom
a. make your foe flee in fear
b. fear: 1 sec con duration
c. range: 1,200
d. recharge: 20 seconds
e. path of midnight - all death shroud skills recharge 15% faster
f. master of terror - fear you inflict lasts 50% longer
g. terror - fear does damage (level * 1.5 + 15% of con damage per second)

v. life transfer
a. damage nearby foes and steal their life force
b. damage (9x): 549 power
c. life force: 3%
d. duration: 3 sec
e. range: 600
f. recharge: 40 seconds
g. path of midnight - all death shroud skills recharge 15% faster
h. dark armor - gain 400 toughness while channeling

i. transfusion - life transfer heals allies

vi. end death shroud
a. leave death shroud and return to your normal form
b. deathly invigoration - heal in an area when you leave death shroud (8 + level * 1.8 + 40% of healing power)

vii. storage
a. soul reaping - +1% to life force pool per point
b. strength of undeath - you do 5% more damage if you have more than 50% life force

viii. generators
a. gluttony - increases life force gain from skills by 5%
b. soul marks  - marks generate 3% life force when triggered
c. reaper's precision - you have a 33% chance to gain 1% life force on critical hits  
d. spectral attunement - ?
e. necrotic grasp - 3%  
f. ghastly claws - 4% per strike  
g. feast of corruption - 2% per condition  
h. necrotic bite - 4%  
i. signet of undeath - 1% per 3 seconds
j. spectral armor - 3%
k. spectral grasp - 10%
l. life transfer - 3%

x. spite
5 - spiteful spirit - gain retaliation for 3 seconds when entering death shroud
6 - reaper's might - life blast and plague blast grant might for 15 seconds

xi. curses  

2 - hemophilia - 20% increased bleeding duration
4 - weakening shroud - cast enfeebling blood (inflict weakness and bleeding on foes in the target area) when entering death shroud

5 - reaper's precision - you have a 33% chance to gain 1% life force on critical hits
6 - terror - fear does damage
master - furious demise - gain fury for 5 seconds when entering death shroud

10 - spectral attunement - spectral skills have longer durations and grant life force on use

xii. death magic  

1 - dark armor - gain 400 toughness while channeling
6 - shrouded removal - lose a condition when you enter death shroud
9 - death shiver - apply vulnerability for 10 seconds every 3 seconds to nearby enemies while in death shroud

xiii. blood magic

6 - transfusion - life transfer heals allies
9 - deathly invigoration - heal in an area when you leave death shroud

xiv. soul reaping
adept - gluttony - increases life force gain from skills by 5%
2 - vital persistence - life force drains 25% slower while in death shroud
3 - path of midnight - all death shroud skills recharge 15% faster
5 - speed of shadows - move 15% faster while in death shroud
6 - unyielding blast - life blast pierces and causes vulnerability
master - last gasp - gain life force as you take damage. removed in death shroud. applies protection. breaks stun
9 - master of terror -  fear you inflict lasts 50% longer

10 - soul marks - marks generate 3% life force when triggered
grandmaster - strength of undeath - you do 5% more damage if you have more than 50% life force
11 - foot in the grave - gain stability for 3 seconds when you enter death shroud
12 - near to death - death shroud recharges 50% faster

Edited by Gusat, 12 October 2012 - 02:06 PM.

#6 chronicler

chronicler

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:57 AM

Thanks Gusat!
I think you missed Blood Magic trait VI — Transfusion — Life transfer heals allies.

Updated build: http://gw2skills.net...LJXLIGEco4RxsAA
I preffered axe to dagger because of distance. Dagger generates more life force but demands melee combat.
Dagger build can benefit of Curses 20 and Blood Magic 10 (I) with fast dagger recharge, but I haven't tested this.
Stats hunting is Power/Precision/Crit-Damage/Vitality
Sadly Reaper's Precision is math absurd which wastes trait space.
Spectral Grasp can be replaced by Spectral Armor as LF generator if you are expecting A LOT OF mobs simultaneously attacks you, which can compensate 90 sec cooldown. But in such case you need to drop Soul Reaping II (Vital Persistence) for Soul Reaping X (Soul Marks) and make the dance with the marks via staff for some seconds ;)

Sorry for my English – it's my only third language, which I study now.

Edited by chronicler, 12 October 2012 - 09:34 AM.

#7 Gusat

Gusat

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

View Postchronicler, on 12 October 2012 - 08:57 AM, said:

I think you missed Blood Magic trait VI — Transfusion — Life transfer heals allies.

fixed. thanks.

#8 takarazuka

takarazuka

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

View Postchronicler, on 12 October 2012 - 08:57 AM, said:

Thanks Gusat!

Updated build: http://gw2skills.net...LJXLIGEco4RxsAA
I preffered axe to dagger because of distance. Dagger generates more life force but demands melee combat.
Dagger build can benefit of Curses 20 and Blood Magic 10 (I) with fast dagger recharge, but I haven't tested this.
Stats hunting is Power/Precision/Crit-Damage/Vitality
Sadly Reaper's Precision is math absurd which wastes trait space.
Spectral Grasp can be replaced by Spectral Armor as LF generator if you are expecting A LOT OF mobs simultaneously attacks you, which can compensate 90 sec cooldown. But in such case you need to drop Soul Reaping II (Vital Persistence) for Soul Reaping X (Soul Marks) and make the dance with the marks via staff for some seconds ;)

Sorry for my English – it's my only third language, which I study now.

I wouldn't drop Soul Reaping II - it's going to be a major part of this DS build so you stay in longer.  Check out the changes I did to the trait setup.  You have a lot of passive life force generation, so Spectral Attunement shouldn't be necessary.  Instead, go 20 in to Death Magic for Death Shiver and then change out Unyielding Blast (since this is now covered in Death Shiver) for Spectral Mastery.  This also adds 20% boon duration so you maintain Might stacks longer.  The 100 precision loss is only 5% crit so it's not a major loss.

http://gw2skills.net...LJXLIGEco4RxsAA

#9 Grim Lich

Grim Lich

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:31 PM

Going down to 10 in curses gets rid of furious demise though, which really boosts your damage in DS while at the same time providing a passive timer of how long you should be in DS. I think the right way to handle DS is to pop into it and cast really powerful spells (my necro that isn't fully spec'd into it crits >2k on risen in Orr) and then return to normal mode to regain DS meter. If the meter is below 50% you should only be in DS if you are dying.

Also I can agree with using the signet, as 1% per 3 seconds in combat is terrible.

#10 Donkulous

Donkulous

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:42 AM

I think staying in DS past 50 is lame - you can get everything done in the time it takes for your fury to expire, no need to extend the time of ds by 25%. Really it's better to just DS to Life Transfer to before applying your aoe chill/bleed.

The last thing you need is to not have any DS when you need it to save your skin - and really in PVE it's all about AOE, unless you just like spending 4 times as long to kill things for whatever reason.

#11 chronicler

chronicler

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:14 PM

View Posttakarazuka, on 12 October 2012 - 02:42 PM, said:

I wouldn't drop Soul Reaping II - it's going to be a major part of this DS build so you stay in longer.  Check out the changes I did to the trait setup.  You have a lot of passive life force generation, so Spectral Attunement shouldn't be necessary.  Instead, go 20 in to Death Magic for Death Shiver and then change out Unyielding Blast (since this is now covered in Death Shiver) for Spectral Mastery.  This also adds 20% boon duration so you maintain Might stacks longer.  The 100 precision loss is only 5% crit so it's not a major loss.

http://gw2skills.net...LJXLIGEco4RxsAA

I'm not sure in Death Magic Reanimator & Protection of the Horde usefulness and I'm sure that Shrouded Removal is not main part of the DS PVE build. I'm fascinated of Death Shiver, but it is really wasting a lot of trait points.

Vital Persistance is cool, but we need to be in Shroud often and generate a lot of LF, both parts are not demanding of LF depletion rate, so as far as I see it can be exchanged for another cool trait.

Spectral Mastery saves 6 seconds for grasp, 12 seconds for walk and 18 seconds for armor. Does it worth of trait? I'm not sure.

Party build — http://gw2skills.net...LJXLIGEco4RxsAA — not useful for solo run, but good in test runs with 4-5 players group.

Solo build — http://gw2skills.net...LJXLIGEco4RxsAA

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: build, death shroud, necromancer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users