5 replies to this topic

#1 Adian_

Adian_

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 12 posts
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:23 PM

I recently reached 80 with my thief and am looking to start farming in Orr for Gold, Rares, and Karma.  I'm having some trouble, so I thought I'd reach out and try to get some advice on how best to proceed.

My most immediate problem is that in Dynamic Events, especiallly the ones where you have to protect an outpost from waves of enemies, I can't seem to tag the majority of mobs.  The veterans and champoions live long enough for me to do enough damage to, but the normal fodder die without giving me any loot or XP.

At the moment, I'm running with the build that I leveled with.  I used the Condition (Death Blossom) variant of Minion's Thief Build, but with the Short Bow in my swap slot instead of P/P. ( http://www.guildwars...le-thief-build/ )  It worked great for leveling, and I have no problems while roaming the map.  I'm just not sure whether or not there is a build that is more efficient at tagging groups of mobs.

There's also the very real possibility that I'm doing it wrong.  Cluster Bomb just feels too slow - it takes a split second to fire, plus it has to travel.  In that time, most of the enemies are usually already dead.  I also tried setting full caltrops down where they spawn, but my results haven't been much better.  I haven't tried Death Blossom, I'm not exactly sure how tagging works, and the enemies might not live long enough for the bleeds to tick.  In fights where spawns move, I often don't have enough time to get into DB range of an enemy before it drops, so SB feels like my best bet.

Dagger Storm is effective, but it obviously can't be used as often as initiative-based attacks.

I'm also unsure whether or not my gear factors into this.  I don't have any level 80 epics yet, I'm running around in what I've been able to find or buy cheaply from the TP.  Mostly Rampager with a piece or two of Carrion for Vitality.  Trinkets are Coral.  I'm not running any runes because I wasn't sure how long I'd have the gear before replacing it with higher tier gear, and I didn't want to waste a lot of gold buying them.  I wanted to use Magic Find runes anyway, so they wouldn't be providing too much of a boost to my stats.

Any suggestions or information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

#2 adra12

adra12

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GSCH]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:29 PM

Your problem is that condition damage. Mobs at big events don;t live long enough for your conditions to do any reasonable damage. I would recommend switching to a critical hit based build for DE Farming because its entirely direct damage and MUCH higher burst. What I do is use SB and spam cluster bombs at my feet to tag mobs and it works great.

#3 Gladium

Gladium

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DDH]
  • Server:Eredon Terrace

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

Assuming you're standing right next to the pack when you're cluster bombing (it takes way too long to arch over if you're back from it) and not getting credit for kills, then yeah- condition build is the only thing I can think of.

I'm in a crit build and never have problems tagging events.  If you don't want to change your build, run with a group- you'll get more drops that way too.

#4 Tenofas

Tenofas

Asuran Acolyte

• Community Contributors
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

Shortbow.  Just need to understand where and when the group of foes will be "ready to die" and... anticipate them (and all the other players farming the event).  It takes a little practice, but once you know all the events... it's just easy as drinking water.  Do not try to use melee, it's useless.

#5 Korra

Korra

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1415 posts
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

Sigent of malice + Melee cluster bomb spam = epic farm.

Oh and caltrops and Dagger storm, ofc.

#6 Adian_

Adian_

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 12 posts
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

Melee Cluster Bomb spam.  That'd be what I'm doing wrong.

I'll give that a shot for a bit first, and if it doesn't work switch from Condition to Crit.  I've got a fair bit of farming to do before I'm ready to buy any Epic gear anyway.

Thanks for the help guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users