#1 chuckles79

chuckles79

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1685 posts
  • Guild Tag:[FANG]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

I'm looking for a balanced combination for a multi-purpose mesmer.
I don't want to be a glass cannon but don't see any point in trying to tank with this class.

So far I'm speccing my armor and jewelry towards defense but going offensive with weapons.

#2 Dominox

Dominox

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • Guild Tag:[VcY]
  • Server:Seafarer’s Rest

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

What i do is; Spec my traits for utility, gearing offensive and playing defensive.

That seems to work perfectly - Full beserkers all the way

#3 Lastchime

Lastchime

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

Although if you do load up on valkyrie and knights gear, it's really funny when someone tries to gank you.

#4 Ikelos

Ikelos

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DD]
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:55 PM

View Postchuckles79, on 09 October 2012 - 07:37 PM, said:

I'm looking for a balanced combination for a multi-purpose mesmer.
I don't want to be a glass cannon but don't see any point in trying to tank with this class.

So far I'm speccing my armor and jewelry towards defense but going offensive with weapons.

Determine your traits first. Once you've picked which traits you want, you can see what stats the traits gave you then balance out those stats with your gear.

#5 Zun

Zun

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:36 PM

Hybrid gearing doesnt really work with mesmers.

Either go full offense or tanky, but mixing both will result in low damage and survivability.

#6 esfkotaro

esfkotaro

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Guild Tag:[BoW]
  • Server:Ferguson’s Crossing

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:14 AM

I go power/prec/condition damage.  Has worked excellently so far.  Traits 30/30/0/0/10

Win every WvW 1v1, majority of 1v2s, and even pulled off a 1v4 agains a disorganized group of 2 warriors, an ele and ranger.  In PvE, damn near everything becomes soloable with patience and timing.  Scepter/focus and staff, with utilities feedback, decoy, signet of illusions.  Time warp elite.  Using rampager's exotics, chrysycola orbs.

Traited for illusions to deal extra damage, have fury, cause crippled on death, bleed on crit, have more HP, create clone on dodge.  IWarden on ranged enemies, iwarlock on Melee enemies.

Wouldn't really recommend the build for dungeons though.  Those tend to get hairy if you're relying on avoiding damage rather than absorbing it.  And invisible thieves in WvW can be s big problem if they manage to catch you unawares.  Good news is, if they fail to catch up unawares, they're dead pretty quickly.

#7 Whiskey Jack

Whiskey Jack

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:19 PM

I'm almost to the point of being able to afford and exotic armor set so I am trying to decide this as well.  Right now I am leaning towards going full Knights for my armor set (Power/Precision/Toughness) and Berserker (Power/Precision/CritDamage) for weapons and accessories.

That will allow me to spec offensively for WvW while still maintaining some survivability (a standard 20/20/0/0/20 spec with a floating 10 points).

For dungeons I can then spec defensively while still maintaining a moderate power and crit chance.

Anyone had success with this gearing loadout?

#8 Lastchime

Lastchime

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:02 PM

I made my exo set with chest, pauldrons and boots knights, legs and gloves valkyrie's and mask berserkers, run around with a zerker pearl staff (or a knight's depending), rampager krait machete/traveller's aurate rin blade (aka whatever forge spit out for rares for me, working on exos) mainly full of emerald and ruby orbs.

Traits currently 0/25/20/15/10

Don't die a lot in WvW or Dungeons but a lot of that just equates to not being stupid rather than gear anyhow. Not very squishy but I also don't explode faces, I still kill at a reasonable pace though, in melee about as much as I'm out too, shatter when I feel like it, or not.

For 1v1 it seems to work out, I've only had like 4 thieves and 2 guardians try to gank me so far in WvW, and on every account they lost the war of attrition, it's a very small sample size so take with a grain of salt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users