• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lapis

Lapis

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:28 AM

I reached level 80 recently and I want to farm some gold and karma, so I choosed dynamic events in Orr.

I purchased Traveler set (magic find, condition damage, power) with runes of pirate and opal jewelry (magic find + power + precision). Sigil of Luck goes to staff to increase MF further.
I am looking for some build suitable for over-crowded dynamic events in the area, where mobs die usually in 1-3 seconds after spawning. I am used to be condition specced, but I found that in most situations there is not enough time to put bleeds and use Epidemic. Also my condition damage stat dropped to about 700, while power is over 1500 with Traveler+Opal items, so condition spreading mechanism doesn't work very well here. So it seems that I need to focus on marks and wells.

Currently I am using this build: http://gw2skills.net...x3GHUh3H9gYD7YA
Main focus here is to enhance marks and wells to maximize fast AoE. Key traits are:
Curses - Focused rituals - targeted wells
Death Magic - Greater marks - greater marks means more mobs tagged
Blood Magic - Ritual mastery - 20% faster cooldown on wells

Main weapon here is Staff to put marks in places from which mobs are coming and then put one well when mobs appear (or use wells when staff is on cooldown). Alternative option is switching to scepter+dagger and put AoE bleeds (however they are usually not fast enough to tag any mobs before others kill them). Death shroud's life transfer is used to finish mobs, if any still survive after marks/well are applied.
Epidemic is useful in certain sutiations, however it could be replaced by something else, like Signet of Spite for passive power boost. Flash golem is useful in some situations, for single boss fights I may switch it for Lich form. Plague seems to be too slow to tag mobs alone and has too high cooldown for this purpose.

Do you have any tips to improve the build?
Useful skills to get would be Staff mastery from Blood magic(20) to reduce cooldowns on marks; Spiteful marks from Spite(20) to increase marks damage by 10%. I see possibility to  remove 10 points from Spite (but loose 100 power) or 10 points from curses to get Staff mastery or Spiteful marks, but cost in loosing 100 power or 100 condition+precision doesn't look very good - condition damage and precision is already quite poor with traveler+opal items.

#2 takarazuka

takarazuka

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

I think you pretty much have it - there aren't any good "builds" for doing DE's except grabbing targeted wells, greater marks, and using your staff.  As you said, mobs die too fast for bleeds + epidemic to be of any real use.  

Consider grabbing Bone Minions and using their Putrid Explosion as well - it's a terrific source of AOE damage in clustered DEs.  Your traits look fine for what you're wanting to do and still be able to move major traits to go back to a normal condition spec when needed.

Since you're just farming for karma and looking for mob tags with a MF set on, your damage is going to be abysmal regardless of what you do.  However, damage output isn't the focus so concentrate on what traits give you the best utility in the situation and not what spec gives the most damage.  Your damage doesn't matter, just getting the tag on mobs in events.

Your mostly friendly neighborhood necromancer and moderator.

In-Game: Takarazuka.3025

Tahrakh - 80 Necro | Takarazuka - 80 Necro | Benesal - 80 Warrior

Have a moderation related issue or just want to chat? Send me a PM

#3 Lapis

Lapis

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:34 PM

View Posttakarazuka, on 10 October 2012 - 02:14 PM, said:

Consider grabbing Bone Minions and using their Putrid Explosion as well - it's a terrific source of AOE damage in clustered DEs.  Your traits look fine for what you're wanting to do and still be able to move major traits to go back to a normal condition spec when needed.

Thanks for the feedback. I will try replacing well of Epidemic or Well of corruption with Bone Minions for the explosion. However, is their explosion fast enough? I mean, minions need to run to the target first and then I can explode them when they are near the event mobs...but it may be already too late (unless they are already standing right in the area where mobs appear).

#4 takarazuka

takarazuka

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

View PostLapis, on 10 October 2012 - 02:34 PM, said:

Thanks for the feedback. I will try replacing well of Epidemic or Well of corruption with Bone Minions for the explosion. However, is their explosion fast enough? I mean, minions need to run to the target first and then I can explode them when they are near the event mobs...but it may be already too late (unless they are already standing right in the area where mobs appear).

They won't be 100% effective, but should be able to get their explosion off fairly often.  I also wouldn't get rid of the wells - they are guaranteed to get mobs tagged prior to them dying so worth keeping.  Epidemic is the only thing that is iffy since mobs can die so fast sometimes.  Are there specific events that you are farming for this or is it just in general?

Your mostly friendly neighborhood necromancer and moderator.

In-Game: Takarazuka.3025

Tahrakh - 80 Necro | Takarazuka - 80 Necro | Benesal - 80 Warrior

Have a moderation related issue or just want to chat? Send me a PM

#5 Drekor

Drekor

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1619 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TSP]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:35 PM

Bone minions are good, you can just stand on mob spawn points so they don't have to run anywhere.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: de, dynamic events, build, necromancer, necro, tagging

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users