• New Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

Hey!

I am a fresh lvl 80 guardian and I cam up with this build:

http://gw2skills.net...Ev7ZPMFaMjXFUIA

I want to go with a greatsword and maybe mace/or other 1hand + torch

What do you think about this build?

Also which crafted armor set is the best choice suitable for this? Valkyrie? And which weapon?

Hope you can help me!

Thanks,
killver

#2 killver

killver

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:50 PM

Hope this is not against the rule, but nobody has an opinion on this?

#3 Dear Hunter

Dear Hunter

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Guild Tag:[USA]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:12 PM

View Postkillver, on 10 October 2012 - 08:48 PM, said:

Hey!

I am a fresh lvl 80 guardian and I cam up with this build:

http://gw2skills.net...Ev7ZPMFaMjXFUIA

I want to go with a greatsword and maybe mace/or other 1hand + torch

What do you think about this build?

Also which crafted armor set is the best choice suitable for this? Valkyrie? And which weapon?

Hope you can help me!

Thanks,
killver

I'm not able to see the build. It brings me to a build generator however it is blank. Could you describe your build to me? In the title you had mentioned WvWvW and PvE. Is this a spec you want to use in both cases or to focus on specific part of the game?

Thanks,

Dear Hunter 80 Guardian
USA (United Sanctum Alliance)

#4 killver

killver

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:18 PM

View PostDear Hunter, on 12 October 2012 - 06:12 PM, said:

I'm not able to see the build. It brings me to a build generator however it is blank. Could you describe your build to me? In the title you had mentioned WvWvW and PvE. Is this a spec you want to use in both cases or to focus on specific part of the game?

Thanks,

Dear Hunter 80 Guardian

Hey!

You need to click on the traits button on top to see the traits. About the specific skills I am not quite sure.

I want to do wvw but I also want to be able to do solo farming. So it should be a little bit of an build for more options. I don't have the equip yet so I still need to farm as well ,)

#5 Dear Hunter

Dear Hunter

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:38 PM

Thanks! I see it now. The build looks good. You can get rid of the 10 points in precision unless you are going to be running a signet build and put them into the honor tree for increased damage at lower endurance and then grabbing the Aegis Heals on removal or gives retaliation on removal. When working on your gear. Do not focus on Condition duration because as a guardian we have so many ways to apply burning that it just isn't necessary and it will be wasted due to the enemy dying with excess on the burning damage. Since you are going a burning condition build. You will want to focus on Condition damage, Power, and then either Toughness or Vitality for added survival. You could mix and match to go half and half Toughness and Vitality.

One thing to keep in mind is that Toughness will reduce the damage of all attacks except for conditions. Vitality will increase your health pool allowing for longer survival against conditions.

Some gear sets to look into would be

Carrion set which is Condition Damage, Power, Vitality
Rabid set which is Condition Damage, Precision, Toughness.

You can also go the the temples in Orr and the vendor will sell lvl 80 exotic armor for 42k karma a piece. There are six temples and you can mix and match from the temple gear to get the stat bonuses you want. They all have the same skin so it will not change the way the armor looks.

For your second weapon I would run Scepter and Torch. Torch does a good amount of damage while the Scepter gives you ranged capabilities which is sometimes necessary depending on the situation in WvWvW or out in PvE.

Thanks,

Dear Hunter 80 Guardian

#6 killver

killver

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

View PostDear Hunter, on 12 October 2012 - 06:38 PM, said:

Thanks! I see it now. The build looks good. You can get rid of the 10 points in precision unless you are going to be running a signet build and put them into the honor tree for increased damage at lower endurance and then grabbing the Aegis Heals on removal or gives retaliation on removal. When working on your gear. Do not focus on Condition duration because as a guardian we have so many ways to apply burning that it just isn't necessary and it will be wasted due to the enemy dying with excess on the burning damage. Since you are going a burning condition build. You will want to focus on Condition damage, Power, and then either Toughness or Vitality for added survival. You could mix and match to go half and half Toughness and Vitality.

One thing to keep in mind is that Toughness will reduce the damage of all attacks except for conditions. Vitality will increase your health pool allowing for longer survival against conditions.

Some gear sets to look into would be

Carrion set which is Condition Damage, Power, Vitality
Rabid set which is Condition Damage, Precision, Toughness.

You can also go the the temples in Orr and the vendor will sell lvl 80 exotic armor for 42k karma a piece. There are six temples and you can mix and match from the temple gear to get the stat bonuses you want. They all have the same skin so it will not change the way the armor looks.

For your second weapon I would run Scepter and Torch. Torch does a good amount of damage while the Scepter gives you ranged capabilities which is sometimes necessary depending on the situation in WvWvW or out in PvE.

Thanks,

Dear Hunter 80 Guardian

Wow, thanks for the awesome infos! Helps a lot.

I will follow your advice, I jsut have a question: Why to skip the radiance path completely, if I want to go for condition damage.

Also: Don't I need to get some precision? I am still heavy focused on 2-hand.

Thanks,
Killver

#7 Dear Hunter

Dear Hunter

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:44 PM

You will still hit hard with a GS. The skills on the greatsword scale great with Power even without crit. They do scale with crit but having a high base power will still net you significant damage. Currently I'm in a Power, Toughness, Vitality build and I still hit like a truck even having very low crit. I roll GS and Hammer currently. It is personal preference though. If you feel like you aren't critting enough then just get more precision.

One more thing. You can get a full set of Rare gear which stat wise is only a few stat points under the exotics for about 2-3G on the trading post.

#8 Kutsus

Kutsus

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Tsym]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:46 PM

IMO, do not focus on condition damage. Guardians do not put out enough conditions to warrant it. Burning alone is not enough. IMO focus on power> then prec/tough/vit/crit dmg as you need to be as tanky or glassy as you prefer.

Edited by Kutsus, 12 October 2012 - 11:48 PM.

#9 killver

killver

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:21 AM

View PostKutsus, on 12 October 2012 - 11:46 PM, said:

IMO, do not focus on condition damage. Guardians do not put out enough conditions to warrant it. Burning alone is not enough. IMO focus on power> then prec/tough/vit/crit dmg as you need to be as tanky or glassy as you prefer.

Actually I thought the same! So which set would you recommend for my build?

#10 Clockwise

Clockwise

Fahrar Cub

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:40 AM

View PostKutsus, on 12 October 2012 - 11:46 PM, said:

This is the best advice on this topic atm.

The Greatsword healing skill isn't so good. I think you should remove 10pts in the Zeal trait and take Purity or Empowering Might instead.

You don't show you full build (only traits) so it's hard to give you advice.

#11 killver

killver

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:21 PM

View PostClockwise, on 13 October 2012 - 11:40 AM, said:

This is the best advice on this topic atm.

The Greatsword healing skill isn't so good. I think you should remove 10pts in the Zeal trait and take Purity or Empowering Might instead.

You don't show you full build (only traits) so it's hard to give you advice.

Hey!

I have updated my build and added the skills Im currently using:

http://gw2skills.net...Ev7h9QjZE XFUIA

Please tell me what you think about that. And which armor would be the best,

Thanks,
Killver

#12 Kutsus

Kutsus

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

View Postkillver, on 13 October 2012 - 08:21 AM, said:

Actually I thought the same! So which set would you recommend for my build?

My recommendation is not to get any single set. Right now my guardian is using assorted Karma/dungeon/WvW gear to get a full armor and weapon set of Power/tough/vit, then berserker jewelery with ruby jewels. IMO a full set of either is not going to work as well as a balance.

Use runes based on your build. Soldier if you're going shouts, ogre if you're going to 1v1 often, Divinity for an overall balance of nice stats. There are plenty of options beyond just those for guardians, experiment with them in heart of the mists.

Edited by Kutsus, 13 October 2012 - 01:06 PM.

#13 killver

killver

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

View PostKutsus, on 13 October 2012 - 01:05 PM, said:

My recommendation is not to get any single set. Right now my guardian is using assorted Karma/dungeon/WvW gear to get a full armor and weapon set of Power/tough/vit, then berserker jewelery with ruby jewels. IMO a full set of either is not going to work as well as a balance.

Yeah, but getting crafted items, is the easiest way to get gear easy. So I would prefer that as a starting point.

#14 Kutsus

Kutsus

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:09 PM

View Postkillver, on 13 October 2012 - 01:06 PM, said:

Yeah, but getting crafted items, is the easiest way to get gear easy. So I would prefer that as a starting point.

There are no crafted items that will do what you need as well as the power/tough/vit. Knight's gives primary toughness, so you lose out on power. Valk's gives crit damage with no precision (inefficient set). When my guard first hit 80, I used the full vigil armor set (rare power/tough/vit) with berserker jewelery and berserker weapons until I managed to gather the other gear.

#15 Clockwise

Clockwise

Fahrar Cub

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

yO !

There some changes on your build: http://en.gw2skills....Ev7h9QjZE XFUIA

The changes I did:
- Removed the consecration burning skill for "Save Yourself !" because this skill will give you more (and support the team).
- Remplaced "Greatsword Power" trait by "Eternal Spirit", if you want to summon a hammer this Trait is just a must have.
- Removed points in Radiance trait to put them in Valor.
- In Valor take "Purity" for WvW (maybe an other for sPvP) and "Mediation Mastery" for the Meditation teleport.
- Instead of Mace + Torch, try Mace + Focus. It's a nice node defense. Keep your GS to DPS and swap for defense mode.

You build is lacking of good synergy, try this one.

#16 killver

killver

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:09 PM

View PostClockwise, on 13 October 2012 - 01:42 PM, said:

yO !

There some changes on your build: http://en.gw2skills....Ev7h9QjZE XFUIA

The changes I did:
- Removed the consecration burning skill for "Save Yourself !" because this skill will give you more (and support the team).
- Remplaced "Greatsword Power" trait by "Eternal Spirit", if you want to summon a hammer this Trait is just a must have.
- Removed points in Radiance trait to put them in Valor.
- In Valor take "Purity" for WvW (maybe an other for sPvP) and "Mediation Mastery" for the Meditation teleport.
- Instead of Mace + Torch, try Mace + Focus. It's a nice node defense. Keep your GS to DPS and swap for defense mode.

You build is lacking of good synergy, try this one.

Thanks a lot for the recommendations.

Your link just leads to my build, not yours ;)

#17 killver

killver

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:34 PM

View Postkillver, on 13 October 2012 - 02:09 PM, said:

I think that's your plan:
http://gw2skills.net...8kH2DNmR4fpQhQE

#18 Clockwise

Clockwise

Fahrar Cub

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:01 AM

View Postkillver, on 13 October 2012 - 02:09 PM, said:

Haha sorry,

here the build: http://en.gw2skills....Ev7h9QjZE XFUIA

Try it and make the changes you need to suit your gamestyle.

Also for more team support change the focus for a shield.

#19 foofad

foofad

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

Instant meditations is useless if all you're using is Judge's Intervention. JI is already instant.

#20 MG12

MG12

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:37 AM

View PostDear Hunter, on 12 October 2012 - 07:44 PM, said:

You will still hit hard with a GS. The skills on the greatsword scale great with Power even without crit. They do scale with crit but having a high base power will still net you significant damage. Currently I'm in a Power, Toughness, Vitality build and I still hit like a truck even having very low crit. I roll GS and Hammer currently. It is personal preference though. If you feel like you aren't critting enough then just get more precision.

One more thing. You can get a full set of Rare gear which stat wise is only a few stat points under the exotics for about 2-3G on the trading post.

What's your crit%?  I have a similar "Soldier" (Pow/Tou/Vit) loadout:  21% crit, 42% crit dmg, 3K attack, 3K armor, 20K (no orbs) health.  Scepter+Shield & GS.

#21 killver

killver

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:32 AM

View PostClockwise, on 14 October 2012 - 11:01 AM, said:

Haha sorry,

here the build: http://en.gw2skills....Ev7h9QjZE XFUIA

Try it and make the changes you need to suit your gamestyle.

Also for more team support change the focus for a shield.

Okay thanks, but not all your suggestions of the post above ar eincluded there, so I'm just curious ;)

#22 Minichunk

Minichunk

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:29 PM

3x Valk + 3 x Zerk, Mix Beryl and Ruby Jewelry - Scepter + Focus and Sword + Shield/Torch depending on what im doing.

Signet of Resolve, SY,SYG & Retreat, Tome of Wrath

20/30/10/10/0

Fiery Wrath & Scepter Power
Healer's Retribution, Powerful Blades & Right Hand Strength
Purity
Superior Aria

Cant remember the runes and sigils

This build has been a lot of fun in WvW for both running with a group and in Siege fights.

Edited by Minichunk, 15 October 2012 - 03:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users