19 replies to this topic

#1 Treble

Treble

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2239 posts
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:30 PM

Hey guys. I'm creating a Warrior due to my preferred playstyle of ranged burst DPS. I have a Ranger in full exotics of multiple sets, and I'm just not happy with being forced into a condition build. Our main burst is basically auto attack + Quickening Zephyr + auto attack some more.

B-O-R-I-N-G!

So I've decided to roll a Warrior.

I understand that Rifle isn't exactly the best build, but I don't care. I'm not concerned by that. My focus is WvW, mainly skirmishing and chance 1vs1 encounters. I haven't looked at the traits or anything yet, so this will mainly be gear and abilities questions.

First off, I've rolled full Berserker gear on my Ranger and it is squishy as all hell. 15k HP does not cut it. So I switched to full Valkyrie gear and now roll with over 20k HP and still have 40% crit. I was thinking of doing the same with a Warrior, and as I understand, Warriors have a higher HP threshold. That said, would this be as viable on a Warrior as I think it is (i.e. 40% crit, high crit damage, high HP), or would Knight gear be better (50% crit, regular crit damage, high toughness)?

Now for utilities, I kinda don't wanna have to rely on banners. I personally hated accidentally picking them up on my Ranger, and couldn't imagine using them as a class mechanic. Is it viable to have something like Quickening Zephyr, a condition removal, and a stun removal/escape/temporary bunker mechanic?

My secondary weapon will be Greatsword just because I like it. :P

#2 jeddahwe

jeddahwe

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:13 PM

http://www.guildwars...ender-rifleman/

#3 DataPhreak

DataPhreak

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:23 AM

View Postjeddahwe, on 16 October 2012 - 01:13 PM, said:

Not an optimal build. For rifle your focus should be critical damage. You should be using either celestial, berzerkers or valkyrie amulet, and a compatable gem. 50-70% crit rate is optimal. Rest into crit damage, power where you can fit it in.

Something like this: http://gw2skills.net...UjoGbNuak1sIYQA

I ran it in sPvP for a while, and was able to down most people before they realized where I was coming from. Viable in tpvp? not any more than any other glass cannon build, but it's still more survivable than you'll get from most other classes.

#4 jeddahwe

jeddahwe

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

The build I linked will give 52.7% crt while having 175% crit damage and 3000 attack as well as 3000 armor!  The core mechanic is 100% Fury up time!

#5 Blood De

Blood De

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

I tried something a little different last night WvW that I'd like to share. It might give someone an even better idea.

I got tired of getting beat solo by thieves  hehe. I aquired a second rifle and put sigils of hydromancy on both rifles and then put runes of grenth on my gear.  What this did for me was gave me about 4ish seconds of chill on weapon swaps and my heal and a chance to cause 4ish seconds of chill when hit.

One of my main moves was to weapon swap and use the #5 skill knockback or my heal (I use the heal that removes conditions and have it traited to remove movement impairs).  Between my weapon swap and heal chills and my cripples/immobilizes, the thiefs were running from me and so were the mesmers actually.

There's a learning curve doing this but I did seem to be on to something even though I didn't get to test it on the theif I really wanted to run into hehe.  I'm in a pretty competetive WvW bracket (Sanctum of Rall server) so I did run across some pretty decent players.

I'm still working on it but maybe this might give someone else an even better idea.

#6 Buran_Grey

Buran_Grey

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

My current WvW Warrior is traited with 20/30/0/0/20, and uses GS and Rifle as weapons. The 20 in  Discipline provides fast weapon swaps, adrenaline on weapon swaps, reduced signet cooldown (for SoR) and Mobile Strikes; combined with the Monk/Water/Sanctuary runes in the armor perma-Fury is granted and I have swiftness 90% of the time.

In the gear I initially was using berserk armor and weapons, then changed the armor to knight but the more I play the more I see how going full berserk provides the lager rewards. I'm using the superior Sigil of Fire in the Rifle due the AoE, not for the damage itself but due once it hits an enemy if He dies (i.e.: under attacks of another teanmate) you still gain xp and chances of loot.

Mending, for healing, SoR as elite and FGJ, Balanced Stance and Bull's Charge are my utilities.

About the Blood De choice with the sigil and setup, I use hydromancy a lot with my Guardian, but He wields hammer + gs and is a cqc control/area damage fighter which usually is always charging in the frontline, whereas with my Warrior I usually try to keep foes at range, poking and stinging until a foe reaches close ranged (then I usually go Rifle Butt -> BR -> Whirlwind). Notice also that sigil of Hydromancy has a 9s. cooldown, which means that with 15 in discipline (Fast Hands) sometimes the effect will not be granted on all swaps.

#7 Leafar

Leafar

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:14 AM

I think this video says it all:

#8 lmaonade

lmaonade

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1121 posts
  • Guild Tag:[NGE]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:31 AM

Rifle in WvW?

full glass, full precision traits and piercing bullets, Kill Shot and have fun

#9 Avliss

Avliss

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

View Postlmaonade, on 17 February 2013 - 08:31 AM, said:

Rifle in WvW?

full glass, full precision traits and piercing bullets, Kill Shot and have fun

Full glass + full precision = have fun with Longbow (third skill is aoe and as GC can do ~8k dmg + 2k from auto attack + immobilize + blind)

#10 lmaonade

lmaonade

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1121 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:51 AM

View PostAvliss, on 17 February 2013 - 11:37 PM, said:

Full glass + full precision = have fun with Longbow (third skill is aoe and as GC can do ~8k dmg + 2k from auto attack + immobilize + blind)

longbow is pretty awesome too, with full GC the burst flame aoe does more damage than most ppl expect, so they walk in it and get ticked to death haha

but since I didn't fully read the OP and ignored the part about being non full berserker's here my 2nd suggestion:

I would suggest going a combo of knight's and valkyrie, toughness is very good on warrior because of his high hp, but you'd also want to build some hp in conjuction with it if you want true tankiness. 40% crit chance is fine imo (unless you mean with fury), you'd want at the bare minimum 50% crit with fury, I wouldn't go lower than that because you'd just be wasting the crit damage from valk that way, if you're going for low-ish crit chance you'd be better off getting soldiers instead of valk

another thing you could do is go full bleed mode, sword+shield/sword and a rifle, points in precision tree, combo of carrion and rabid equipment, bleed away, you can keep up a stack of 13-15 bleeds usually, which can add up in damage if your opponent isn't prepared for condition (ppl in wvw usually aren't), you can also cover your bleeds pretty well by using the consumable:
http://wiki.guildwar...om_(consumable), and other skills and traits (crippling shot + immobilization trait)

it adds a bit of extra conditions for an overall condition build instead of just a bleed one (which is the only one warriors can effectively utilize without extra help), so basically a lot of bleeds with extra goodies.

#11 Avliss

Avliss

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:51 AM

View Postlmaonade, on 18 February 2013 - 12:51 AM, said:

another thing you could do is go full bleed mode

... Why ppl always run with "bleed" or "burning" mode? Learn to play "condition" mode. Run with full condition / hp armor + use 2x rune that increase poison duration by 15% (Superior Rune of the Rata Sum) + 2x rune that increase bleeding duration by 15% (Superior Rune of the Afflicted) + 2x rune that increase burning duration by 15% (Superior Rune of the Baelfire). Put some points in Arms so you get % (rest in def/tact) chance to apply bleeding + use Bow for burning + use sigil that apply poison so in total you will keep all the time 3 codiotions.

#12 lmaonade

lmaonade

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1121 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:29 AM

View PostAvliss, on 18 February 2013 - 07:51 AM, said:

... Why ppl always run with "bleed" or "burning" mode? Learn to play "condition" mode. Run with full condition / hp armor + use 2x rune that increase poison duration by 15% (Superior Rune of the Rata Sum) + 2x rune that increase bleeding duration by 15% (Superior Rune of the Afflicted) + 2x rune that increase burning duration by 15% (Superior Rune of the Baelfire). Put some points in Arms so you get % (rest in def/tact) chance to apply bleeding + use Bow for burning + use sigil that apply poison so in total you will keep all the time 3 codiotions.

Poison is extremely limited for the warrior, the only access he has to it is an on swap weapon sigil, which means he'll need to take 15 points in discipline and both weapon sets will need the sigil for 100% uptime, or else it won't last very long, I'd rather just go with sigil of earth on the rifle for extra stacks of bleed. Forgot about burning on bow, good suggestion if OP is willing to give up GS as a 2nd set, but I definitely did not forget about conditions as a whole, you may want to read on past what you quoted, as I talked about supplements he can use for a wholesome condition build (especially useful for PvP scenarios since weakness, immobilization, and cripple are far more useful there than in PvE)

#13 Avliss

Avliss

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

It was nothing personal. I just say what i see. Many ppl just stack only bleeding (why?)

BTW. With 5 sec cd on swap + increase 15% duration and 2x sigil that apply poison should be enough to keep poison almost all the time :) Sigil of earth is not necessary because with high crit % you will keep bleed on targets anyway. But still its personal choice :)

#14 redslion

redslion

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

Remember weapon swap sigils have a 9 second internal cooldown. Even if your weapon swap recharges faster, you still have to wait 9 seconds to activate it.

#15 Kovares

Kovares

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

View PostAvliss, on 18 February 2013 - 09:33 AM, said:

It was nothing personal. I just say what i see. Many ppl just stack only bleeding (why?)

BTW. With 5 sec cd on swap + increase 15% duration and 2x sigil that apply poison should be enough to keep poison almost all the time :) Sigil of earth is not necessary because with high crit % you will keep bleed on targets anyway. But still its personal choice :)

View PostAvliss, on 18 February 2013 - 07:51 AM, said:

Sorry, but this is just horrible advice, you are needlessly going to gimp yourself if you follow it. People stack bleed because right now it is the only viable condition if you want to deal damage. Burning is roughly equal to ~5 stacks of bleed, poison is roughly equal to ~3 stacks in damage. You will never ever get sufficient damage out of burning or poison, the only saving grace poison has is it's utility in reducing enemy heals, so it's use is debatable at least, but burning is just never worth speccing for.

Furthermore, the poison and burning runes you advocated will do nothing at all most of the time, because conditions only tick once per second, meaning a single +15% to duration will only do something if it increases it's respective duration for long enough to reach the next tick.

Also, bleed durations stack. +15% bleed durations from 2xkrait, 2xafflicted and 2xundead will stack to +45%, they also stack with trait lines, traits and consumables, but the cap is +100%. Note that the warrior has the strongest passive duration trait in the game (+50%), so the maximum use you might get out of runes

This is all for condition builds though, for a warrior specifically, I'd trait full berserker with full ruby orbs, be sure to take deep cuts and berserker's power. This will put you at +60% bleed duration, you could consider switching out 2 orbs to even out your bleed ticks, but I'd probably stick with rubies regardless.

#16 Avliss

Avliss

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

View PostKovares, on 18 February 2013 - 11:34 AM, said:

You will never ever get sufficient damage out of burning or poison

Burning alone or Poison alone are shit that true but still if you are able to put all 3 conditions (and keep it up all the time) dmg is higher than only with bleeding.

Atm in my opinion stacking only 1 condition (lazy mode?) is wrong way because with Omnomberry food you can easly outheal it.

As you said atm berserker mode is best choice for warriors.

#17 lalangamena

lalangamena

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

so i made myself such warrior just for the www lulz,
full zerker, with rubies in all slots etc.

my average killshot do 8 damage, my max hit was 11K

please help me understand how I can get to 20K+ numbers?
also how do you get two digit might stacks on rifle warrior? (fgj+sor=8 stacks...)

Edited by lalangamena, 18 February 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#18 Kovares

Kovares

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

View PostAvliss, on 18 February 2013 - 11:57 AM, said:

Burning alone or Poison alone are shit that true but still if you are able to put all 3 conditions (and keep it up all the time) dmg is higher than only with bleeding.

Atm in my opinion stacking only 1 condition (lazy mode?) is wrong way because with Omnomberry food you can easly outheal it.

Unquestionably when you compare it as (x amount of bleeds) vs. (x amount of bleeds + poison +burning), the 3 condition variant comes out ahead. But this is not a feasible example. You would do better to compare (poison + burning) vs. (additional stacks of bleed) that can be applied in the same timeframe. Since there is little synergy between conditions, more bleed stacks is really just better. Going out of your way to apply more and longer other conditions is always paid with having less bleeds then you could have, and it will most likely not be worth it.

View Postlalangamena, on 18 February 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

also how do you get two digit might stacks on rifle warrior? (fgj+sor=8 stacks...)

The damage done depends on the target, you will usually only see those insane numbers against upleveled opponents, and you will generally see higher numbers against glass cannon specs. Afaik, 20k+ is not possible on geared true 80s.

As for the might stacks, see here: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Might

#19 lmaonade

lmaonade

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1121 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:52 AM

View Postlalangamena, on 18 February 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

20k+ numbers were either on severely undergeared players or from the piercing bug, in which for every enemy the killshot pierces through (using the trait that gives rifle piercing bullets) an extra 10% damage is done, it's impossible to pull off in a regular scenario

as for 2 digit might stacks, most warriors get it from the greatsword trait when using the greatsword, but if that's not an option then you'd need the power signet, might on crit sigil, or one of the runes that gives chances to grant might.

Edited by lmaonade, 20 February 2013 - 05:52 AM.

#20 MrZero

MrZero

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1086 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:50 AM

View PostLeafar, on 17 February 2013 - 04:14 AM, said:

I think this video says it all:

Incredible song choice for that vid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users