Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
* * * * - 6 votes

Chunx's Minion Mastery Guide

guide ochunxsupercool minion build pve necro necromancer minions minion master 2014

  • Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#121 Thorfinnr

Thorfinnr

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 475 posts
  • Location:Hangin' with the Kodan
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Guild Tag:[DBoS]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:25 PM

So currently its a one-shot deal, that's kinda lame...let's hope they fix that in the patch...<fingers crossed> :)

#122 Phenn

Phenn

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 710 posts
  • Profession:Necromancer
  • Guild Tag:[THF]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:24 PM

Ran with the Apothecary's version of this build yesterday with the guildies.

I forgot how much fun it was. SO MANY HEALS. Never had quite so easy a time running CM. Story mode was easytown, and Path 3 went swimmingly as well.

All that to say I may end up playing around more with MM builds once the new GM traits are released. The changes to the DM line are gonna force Death Nova in order to grab all the lil' horrors. The huge boost to LF-gen that the line will give, however, is gonna make dumping into DS more important. Unfortunately, there are too many traits that are hugely necessary for a MM to really take advantage of the SR line.

I suppose we could drop the BM line, but the extra damage for Minions coming from siphons as well as the heals from Transfusion are hard to give up.

Also, since the sigil of water (heal on hit) is changing, too, that'll probably go on my staff alongside sigil of life.

#123 Thorfinnr

Thorfinnr

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 475 posts
  • Location:Hangin' with the Kodan
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Guild Tag:[DBoS]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:48 PM

View PostPhenn, on 31 March 2014 - 03:24 PM, said:

Also, since the sigil of water (heal on hit) is changing, too, that'll probably go on my staff alongside sigil of life.

So do you see Apothecary or Cleric being best choice...or will they both be about equal? I'm liking the Cleric rig...but always willing to entertain options. Originally it was an Apothecary rig, but I think with recent tweaks Cleric came out on top for promoting minion longevity...i believe...and keeping Power up so the direct damage got a bump... :unsure:

I was thinking on Sigil of Water as well to pair up with Life...as long as they don't change the 'Allies' part and make minions 'non-Aliies'...lol...which would be just about my luck. :)

Edited by Thorfinnr, 31 March 2014 - 05:50 PM.


#124 Pregnantman

Pregnantman

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 155 posts
  • Profession:Necromancer
  • Guild Tag:[LAD]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:34 PM

View PostPhenn, on 31 March 2014 - 03:24 PM, said:


All that to say I may end up playing around more with MM builds once the new GM traits are released. The changes to the DM line are gonna force Death Nova in order to grab all the lil' horrors. The huge boost to LF-gen that the line will give, however, is gonna make dumping into DS more important. Unfortunately, there are too many traits that are hugely necessary for a MM to really take advantage of the SR line.


New Death Magic traits are more synergetic with Death Shroud, and minions were always good utility skills for Death Shroud as they continue to function while camping it. With the new grandmaster Soul Reaping trait Renewing Blast, we can heal our minions more occasionally and for much more when compared to Transfusion and Deathly Invigoration; not to mention how staff makes Life Blast hit very hard, all the crit damage we will have from just sinking in the line (we may have low crit chance, but still) and some nice survivability through using Death Shroud itself. I will definitely try x/x/20/x/30 post patch and see what I can find.

#125 Phenn

Phenn

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 710 posts
  • Profession:Necromancer
  • Guild Tag:[THF]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:16 PM

View PostThorfinnr, on 31 March 2014 - 05:48 PM, said:

So do you see Apothecary or Cleric being best choice...or will they both be about equal? I'm liking the Cleric rig...but always willing to entertain options. Originally it was an Apothecary rig, but I think with recent tweaks Cleric came out on top for promoting minion longevity...i believe...and keeping Power up so the direct damage got a bump... :unsure:

I was thinking on Sigil of Water as well to pair up with Life...as long as they don't change the 'Allies' part and make minions 'non-Aliies'...lol...which would be just about my luck. :)

I'll probably switch to Clerics. I just had picked up Apothecary's 'cause it was so stinking cheap. And yes. Anything that ignores player pets further emphasizes to me how broken parts of this game can be.

View PostPregnantman, on 31 March 2014 - 07:34 PM, said:

New Death Magic traits are more synergetic with Death Shroud, and minions were always good utility skills for Death Shroud as they continue to function while camping it. With the new grandmaster Soul Reaping trait Renewing Blast, we can heal our minions more occasionally and for much more when compared to Transfusion and Deathly Invigoration; not to mention how staff makes Life Blast hit very hard, all the crit damage we will have from just sinking in the line (we may have low crit chance, but still) and some nice survivability through using Death Shroud itself. I will definitely try x/x/20/x/30 post patch and see what I can find.

Indeed they are.

In reality the difference between a DS + Minions build versus a full MM will be the role that the Necro himself plays.

In a MM build like Chunx's, the Necro contributes a tiny amount of damage but tons of heals to keep his Minions going. Every trait is geared around Minion damage.

However, a DS-centric build that has Minions puts more emphasis on the Necro than the Minions. Which isn't a bad thing. Even a 20/0/20/0/30 build will keep a decent output of damage and heals (provided the Piercing LB hits well enough) to keep Minions up as long as a MM would. It's all blown to crap, though, if LB heals don't affect player pets.

Edited by Phenn, 31 March 2014 - 08:20 PM.


#126 Crashproof

Crashproof

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:20 PM

Also adding thanks for this guide.  I played about 14 months ago, went on to other things, and returned recently.  I already had a conditionmancer in her 40s, but started a new necro from scratch and I'm finding that rolling with minions (alongside the changes that have happened since then) really has raised the bar.  (Even if I can't convince my shadow fiend to attack half the time while his blind is on cooldown.)

#127 Prometheus_Hawkeye

Prometheus_Hawkeye

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:43 AM

This build is really near to the way i played the necro on GW. I will try that. In my personal idea, the necromancer is the lord of the deads so an army of deads will be the best "weapon" to fight.




2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users